HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Season Tickets Discussion (23% increase)

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2011, 10:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
this is the way the economic system works in this country.
But we haven't always had the same wealth distribution among the different economic classes... I'd say a greater percentage of the fan base is being priced out of the market today, more so than any other period in recent memory. Consider that for a family of 4 non-season ticket holders to attend a game, it would run them a minimum of $70 a ticket on Ticketmaster. That's $280 for the tickets alone. Factor in the cost to commute to the game and any of the pricey concessions, and you're looking at about a $300-350 expense for a family of four for 2 1/2 hours of hockey. A lot of families these days cannot justify that expense for a sporting event.

I have access to someone's season tickets so I can't complain too much, because I think $37-$40 is still reasonable for attending a game... But you look at the mark-up for non-season subscribers and to people who have to purchase through 3rd parties like Ticketmaster, and you can definitely see where the cost starts to outweigh the reward. Maybe it's a factor of the middle class shrinking, but tickets are less affordable for a larger portion of fans now more so than ever.

Old
04-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
But we haven't always had the same wealth distribution among the different economic classes... I'd say a greater percentage of the fan base is being priced out of the market today, more so than any other period in recent memory. Consider that for a family of 4 non-season ticket holders to attend a game, it would run them a minimum of $70 a ticket on Ticketmaster. That's $280 for the tickets alone. Factor in the cost to commute to the game and any of the pricey concessions, and you're looking at about a $300-350 expense for a family of four for 2 1/2 hours of hockey. A lot of families these days cannot justify that expense for a sporting event.

I have access to someone's season tickets so I can't complain too much, because I think $37-$40 is still reasonable for attending a game... But you look at the mark-up for non-season subscribers and to people who have to purchase through 3rd parties like Ticketmaster, and you can definitely see where the cost starts to outweigh the reward. Maybe it's a factor of the middle class shrinking, but tickets are less affordable for a larger portion of fans now more so than ever.
I don't disagree with you--but things have changed a lot in the last 30 years. In 1980 the average difference between the best paid person in a company to the lowest paid employee was around 40x, now it's over 400x. When I was in high school in the early 1970s (and could get tickets for $5 to Ranger and Knicks games), I used to walk around with $1 in my pocket and not feel poor. I could watch games for free on TV and save the sides of milk cartains and get to two Met games a year for free (not to mention that my grandfather would spring for Wednesday afternoon games--he went for a dollar, I went for $5 or $6).

Going to games is no longer part of every day life--it's an event now and people pay accordingly. And it's not going to change any time soon. The economic system has changed in this country and the owners of sports teams have gotten with the program.

Old
04-28-2011, 11:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Going to games is no longer part of every day life--it's an event now and people pay accordingly. And it's not going to change any time soon. The economic system has changed in this country and the owners of sports teams have gotten with the program.
Right, but while we've always had the same economic system in place, I feel it's important to mention how the wealth distribution has changed.

One thing they could do to reduce the cost of tickets would be to stop utilizing 3rd parties for distribution... Ticket Master adds roughly 25% to the cost of the cheapest ticket. It's not like they don't have the capacity to do so. Although I don't exactly know the details of the entire operation so maybe I'm not in the best position to comment.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 04-28-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old
04-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Right, but while we've always had the same economic system in place, I feel it's important to mention how the wealth distribution has changed.

One thing they could do to reduce the cost of tickets would be to stop utilizing 3rd parties for distribution... Ticket Master adds roughly 25% to the cost of the cheapest ticket. It's not like they don't have the capacity to do so. Although I don't exactly know the details of the entire operation so maybe I'm not in the best position to comment.
The problem is that we don't have the same economic system in place. Wealth was much more evenly distributed 30 years ago and it wasn't hard to get a decent job (paying middle class wages with middle class benefits like health insurance and a pension that you didn't have to contribute to) out of high school. You went to college and the payoff was an even better job. Heck I went to a very good private college and the total cost was around $20,000 (tuition, room and board). I worked 8-10 hours a week (doing food service) and made enough to pay for long distance calls and charter bus trips back home during breaks, not to mention all the 3.2% beer I cared to drink (and grilled cheese sandwiches with tomatoes).

It's not just the fees Ticketmaster charges that's changed.

Old
04-29-2011, 08:49 AM
nyrmetros

Attending sports games was considered a right, now it's a privilege..... Stadiums were built for the masses...... not anymore.... The whole concept has been twisted and mutilated...

Old
04-29-2011, 11:39 AM
NYRKING30

2011-12 Season tickets help

hello fellow rangers fans im a board newbie here as i just signed up today. Like many of you i am disappointed our season ended the way it did but like many would agree, we will be a team to reckon with for years to come sooner then later. As for the topic, im looking to purchase season tickets for the upcoming season and would like to know that since you are buying 41 games in the 400s ( i believe face value will be 40$ a ticket next season) do you pay full face value or do you get a discounted rate because of the season subscription? Im looking forward to many great discussions this summer which in my mind will be the biggest off season in recent memory. all help is appreciated since i have never purchased season tickets before.

Old
04-29-2011, 11:56 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

There's a season ticket thread a little farther down that should help you. Face for next year is 39 up in the 400's and it's only 40 games since they're playing in Stockholm next year to start the season. It's gonna be hard if not impossible to get 400's though as a new season ticket holder as everyone is moving up there with the price increases downstairs.

Old
04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Section 409
FANATIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
There's a season ticket thread a little farther down that should help you. Face for next year is 39 up in the 400's and it's only 40 games since they're playing in Stockholm next year to start the season. It's gonna be hard if not impossible to get 400's though as a new season ticket holder as everyone is moving up there with the price increases downstairs.
What he said. Getting in the 400's is going to be tough, unless you have been on the waitlist for a while.

Also, the $39.00 is the already discounted price for season ticket holders. Individual games last season were $56.00 in the 400's, I think.

Old
04-29-2011, 12:54 PM
NYRKING30

thanks for the help guys. I actually just got off the phone with the rep and put a down payment for 2 seats. I asked him if there seats available in the 400's he said yes so ill be getting that. I wont know where exactly the seats are yet he said by june i should know. really amped to be a STH. i went to like 15 games this year a friend has season tix in 404. im hoping to get somehwere around that area. 406 and 407 had some pretty great views when i sat there

Old
04-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

That doesnt sound right....if your getting season tickets for the 1st time, I dont see how you can get a pair in the 400s. The 300s and 400s are usually sold out every year, and especially with the renovations stuff is all over the place. Stay in contact with this rep because ive been told dozens of times that the chance is very very scarce of moving into the 300s or 400s.

Old
04-29-2011, 02:20 PM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

i called the hot line for season tickets and asked the lady what they were offering and she said "we are only taking deposits on seats now" "its $250 per seat" then i asked if i am likely to get seats in the 300s or 400s and she said "likely but i cant guarantee any thing"

then i asked when will i be able to pick seats and she said "in june when renewals are over"

what i just though of is that new ticket holders are gonna get a crack at better seats than a relocation season ticket holder

if im not able to move up to the 400s because of new ticket holder i am gonna be pissed

Old
04-29-2011, 02:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

steven,

Can you provide me with the phone # that you called? I think 2-3 years ago I may have put down a $100 deposit to join the waiting list, and I now can't remember if they ever credited me back. I did get phone calls last summer offering me tickets but I don't believe I ever asked for a refund of my deposit money.

Old
04-29-2011, 02:37 PM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

yes its 1-877-674-4625

and by any chance do you remember around what month they called you?

Old
04-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I called the same number too, and returning sth looking to relocate will definitely have precedent over people looking to purchase season tickets for the 1st time. Either way, the number of 300s and 400s seats available are low.

Old
04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven9d3 View Post
yes its 1-877-674-4625

and by any chance do you remember around what month they called you?
My memory is really foggy about this.... I want to say I got on the waiting list the summer of 2009 and they offered me tickets the summer of 2010, but I'm not certain. I may have gotten on the list in 2008, can't remember.

But I called a bit ago and found out they still had my deposit money ($100). They are refunding it shortly. That's a pleasant little surprise.

Thanks for sparking my memory fellas.

Old
04-29-2011, 03:35 PM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
thanks for the help guys. I actually just got off the phone with the rep and put a down payment for 2 seats. I asked him if there seats available in the 400's he said yes so ill be getting that. I wont know where exactly the seats are yet he said by june i should know. really amped to be a STH. i went to like 15 games this year a friend has season tix in 404. im hoping to get somehwere around that area. 406 and 407 had some pretty great views when i sat there
last year i was in the same spot as you and when my number was called they didn't have any pairs left in the 400s and 300s so what i did instead of spending over 8gs on 200 level seats was i just bought a single seat in section 309 and sold most of the games and hopefully i will be able to get a pair in the 400s/300s this year or the year after

Old
04-29-2011, 03:36 PM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR BLUE18 View Post
I called the same number too, and returning sth looking to relocate will definitely have precedent over people looking to purchase season tickets for the 1st time. Either way, the number of 300s and 400s seats available are low.
Thanks so it looks like they will be doing relocations early this year

Old
04-29-2011, 08:22 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
last year i was in the same spot as you and when my number was called they didn't have any pairs left in the 400s and 300s so what i did instead of spending over 8gs on 200 level seats was i just bought a single seat in section 309 and sold most of the games and hopefully i will be able to get a pair in the 400s/300s this year or the year after
wow thats nuts so basically in a way im not guaranteed the 400 seats like the player rep today said i would get. I told him anything lower then that i really cant do and dont wanna do it. I was just assuming that a lot of people didnt renew so theres openings for the 400s so thats how i figured i was able to get 400. You guys would know more then me. I remember i first spoke to him 3 weeks ago he was saying u put down 250 per seat for a deposit and be put on a list if the seats are available they are yours. Today i asked him flat out if 400s available and he said yes. The reps name was evan sahr if anyone is wondering

Old
04-29-2011, 08:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Hey you never know.... Economic times are rough, and with the team not exactly being great at home, more people than usual may be ditching their tickets... I wouldn't be surprised if some vacancies opened up.

Old
04-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 1500
Just out of curiosity, how much does 2 tickets cost in the 400's for an 11-game package? Also, the 11 games is 1 pre-season and 10 regular season?

04-29-2011, 08:42 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Just out of curiosity, how much does 2 tickets cost in the 400's for an 11-game package? Also, the 11 games is 1 pre-season and 10 regular season?
I believe it was 45 each last year so I imagine it will be 47 next year. Not sure on the last part. Doesn't matter though since there's no pre season games next year.

Old
04-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Hey you never know.... Economic times are rough, and with the team not exactly being great at home, more people than usual may be ditching their tickets... I wouldn't be surprised if some vacancies opened up.
I agree, the Rangers really have not played well at home the last two years, and with the economy who knows?

Old
04-29-2011, 08:50 PM
PassShootScore
208 Row 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
wow thats nuts so basically in a way im not guaranteed the 400 seats like the player rep today said i would get. I told him anything lower then that i really cant do and dont wanna do it. I was just assuming that a lot of people didnt renew so theres openings for the 400s so thats how i figured i was able to get 400. You guys would know more then me. I remember i first spoke to him 3 weeks ago he was saying u put down 250 per seat for a deposit and be put on a list if the seats are available they are yours. Today i asked him flat out if 400s available and he said yes. The reps name was evan sahr if anyone is wondering
I think a lot of people didn't renew but I think alot of people will downgrade there seats that are currently in the lower bowl because they almost doubled the prices of some lower sections

And I don't know how the reps know why they have in stock since the deadline to renew is in the middle May

Last edited by PassShootScore: 04-29-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old
04-29-2011, 08:55 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

300's inventory is even lower since a decent amount of sections are out of use next year. Seating chart here shows which ones aren't being used.

http://rangers2011.io-media.com/

Old
04-29-2011, 08:59 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
I think a lot of people didn't renew but I think alot of people will downgrade there seats that are currently in the lower bowl because they almost doubled the prices of some lower sections
yeah the 100s and 200s is just absolutely offensive. thank god we are ranger fans and not knicks fans ( 49 % is that even legal to do that lol) with everything im reading here im thinking i should call back tomorrow and just double check that they will be 400s. are these reps really helpful or they are just trying to take your money by doing their job? i wont know the exact seats until june he said. i requested if he could seat me by a specific section if it is available but said i deff dont want 427 that whole area i dont like. Like i said this is my first year purchasing ST so im not sure how everything works from reps to seat placement. gotta say im pretty excited to get season tix finally.

Closed Thread