HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

WGR550 report and final interview with the team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2011, 12:17 PM
  #76
joechip
Registered User
 
joechip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
some of the regulars here are so clueless about connolly that it's funny... there is really no room to defend this guy
Again, I don't care a bit about that. This snub of TBN is about him vs. TBN. Period.

If he's a ******** fine.... don't re-sign him and it's over. It's likely over anyways.

Ta,


Last edited by Chainshot: 04-29-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Removed libelous post quote. Again.
joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:19 PM
  #77
Kruschiki
Registered User
 
Kruschiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I don't see the big deal in wanting Connolly to talk to the media for 15 minutes like Grier, Montador, and plenty of others did.
Maybe he's just done in Buffalo. The idea of starting somewhere else with a lower profile could be appealing.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 12:35 PM
  #78
liquid swords
bring the ruckus
 
liquid swords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
chain - what part of my original post really necessitated editing? i did not step over any boundaries... also, you're forgetting the key part about libel -- it isn't libel if it's true.

and if they resign connolly, it will also be to the chagrin of his teammates...

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 01:15 PM
  #79
michaelsaas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
Look, I'm over Tim Connolly as a player. He's not the guy he could have been or I wanted him to be. But when you look back on it he has left a whole lot of himself on the ice for this club and his teammates. He's gotten an unfair ride by people who are bitter over how Quinn botched the '06 team etc.

If he has a concussion he should hang them up and enjoy what's left of his life without risking further damage to himself. I'm so sick of the Connolly-as-Scapegoat meme. It's tired and self-serving.
I agree with just about everything you said in this thread so far (including your thoughts on Drury), but I especially agree with this take. I have been just as frustrated by Connolly over the years as anyone, but it is clear TBN is biased against him and it just adds fuel to the fire. I think skill-wise he still has a lot to bring to the organization, and it seems the younger players like him and look up to him. But when considering the off-ice history, I think it may be best for both Connolly and the organization to part ways.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 01:21 PM
  #80
michaelsaas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
Given that he was ducking his head in and out from a "restricted area", I'm calling BS on a guess that it was too painful physically to talk.
Didn't this description of him "ducking his head in and out" come from TBN? If so, the wording of the description itself is heavily charged, almost to the point of editorializing. I wouldn't call it reporting of facts necessarily. Either way, if people are convinced TBN has an ax to grind with Connolly quotes from that paper describing his actions won't really change their minds.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 01:44 PM
  #81
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...
 
Montag DP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 6,608
vCash: 500
We all know TBN leaves a lot (pretty much everything) to be desired when it comes to their reporting on the Sabres. We also know now that Connolly was playing with a separated sternum, and IIRC was playing injured in the playoffs last year as well. For me, that says enough about his character that I don't need to care about what TBN says or how he deals with their reporters.

As far as retaining him, I agree with most that he probably belong here anymore. It's said how cheap shots and other injuries have hurt him as an offensive player. That said, his value is going to be very low this offseason and if they can bring him back on a much-reduced contract where he can play a third-line and specialist role, I wouldn't be against it.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:05 PM
  #82
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,249
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
We all know TBN leaves a lot (pretty much everything) to be desired when it comes to their reporting on the Sabres. We also know now that Connolly was playing with a separated sternum, and IIRC was playing injured in the playoffs last year as well. For me, that says enough about his character that I don't need to care about what TBN says or how he deals with their reporters.

As far as retaining him, I agree with most that he probably belong here anymore. It's said how cheap shots and other injuries have hurt him as an offensive player. That said, his value is going to be very low this offseason and if they can bring him back on a much-reduced contract where he can play a third-line and specialist role, I wouldn't be against it.
Playing with? It was reported the injury in the hit from Richards was the separated sternum. He didn't play with it.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:12 PM
  #83
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...
 
Montag DP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ...Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 6,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Playing with? It was reported the injury in the hit from Richards was the separated sternum. He didn't play with it.
Oh, my bad. I must have misread.

Anyway, my opinion about him remains the same.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 02:35 PM
  #84
ixciuncle
Registered User
 
ixciuncle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 915
vCash: 500
What Bucky did to Connolly last year was completely unprofessional, so I don't blame him one bit for handling this the way he did.

He'll still be my favourite player next year!

ixciuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 03:11 PM
  #85
Tachycineta
Moderator
 
Tachycineta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,529
vCash: 500
Ok, I guess I'll have to watch the video to see what was said being that I can't get a summary from here.

Is there anything interesting that was said that doesn't pertain to Tim Connolly?

I hope Grier can be a 12/13th forward for next year. Eh...

__________________
2009-2010 Slugs-Playoffs! Go, Sabres!

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 03:28 PM
  #86
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,249
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
Ok, I guess I'll have to watch the video to see what was said being that I can't get a summary from here.

Is there anything interesting that was said that doesn't pertain to Tim Connolly?

I hope Grier can be a 12/13th forward for next year. Eh...
There is a lot to quote. The originals from cleanout day can be found on the SabresTV portion fo Sabres.com

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 03:30 PM
  #87
Tachycineta
Moderator
 
Tachycineta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
There is a lot to quote. The originals from cleanout day can be found on the SabresTV portion fo Sabres.com
Thanks. I'm listening to them now. I was in my "hiding under a shell" mode for the past few days following the loss but I think I snapped out of it (my dad wouldn't stop talking about Tim Connolly all morning at his doctor's appt, lol).

Tachycineta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:00 PM
  #88
K McDude
Registered User
 
K McDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joechip View Post
It's really simple, when all I want to do is punch someone in the face I go out of my way to avoid talking with them.
I always wondered why you never replied to my posts.

I see eye-to-eye with JimBob on many things, but I have to agree with joechip and others here. Certain media members have been, to put it bluntly, butt-heads in regards to Tim Connolly for a few years now, I can see why he would avoid the interviews.

I've always felt that the Sabres should have parted ways with TC, going back to the last extension they gave him. I felt he never delivered on the money they paid him, was too inconsistent and injury prone. If they can lock him up on a contract half of what he is paid now, and not have to rely on him to be a #2 center, I would take that.

He would provide great depth in case of injuries (provided he isn't the one injured), can play a 3rd line center role and be a key PKer.

K McDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:13 PM
  #89
joechip
Registered User
 
joechip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,228
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Originally Posted by K McDude View Post
I always wondered why you never replied to my posts.

I see eye-to-eye with JimBob on many things, but I have to agree with joechip and others here. Certain media members have been, to put it bluntly, butt-heads in regards to Tim Connolly for a few years now, I can see why he would avoid the interviews.

I've always felt that the Sabres should have parted ways with TC, going back to the last extension they gave him. I felt he never delivered on the money they paid him, was too inconsistent and injury prone. If they can lock him up on a contract half of what he is paid now, and not have to rely on him to be a #2 center, I would take that.

He would provide great depth in case of injuries (provided he isn't the one injured), can play a 3rd line center role and be a key PKer.
Most excellent... thanks for the laugh. It's also not true... well, mostly.

I get people's frustration with Connolly. I share a lot of it now and was slower than most to come to that realization. Fair enough. But, that does not mean the guy should be shat upon or not given credit for the things he did do while he was here.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 04:45 PM
  #90
Leo W
Registered User
 
Leo W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 4,175
vCash: 50
Connolly really wasn't THAT bad imo. The guy had a magnifying glass on him nobody looked at the positives everybody was worried about what he did wrong. Last year he did awful, this year he did better especially in the playoffs but because we have some people looking for a scapegoat they were riding him all year. I wouldn't mind if we brought back Timmy in a minor role for a cheaper contract.

Leo W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2011, 11:29 PM
  #91
zbubble
Registered User
 
zbubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 500
I didn't know Vanek was invited to the All-Star game and declined.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.