HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Theodore 24th best according to HockeyNews

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2003, 09:12 AM
Cosanostra

vCash: 500
Theodore 24th best goalie according to HockeyNews

According to this article on the Hockey News, Jose Theodore is the 24th best goaltender in the league. Pasi Nurminen, Manny Legace, Tomas Vokoun, Mike Dunham, all if front of him. Better than that, they've got Roman Cechmanek 5th!

Hockey News??? What a Joke!!!

http://www.thehockeynews.com/en/head...t=976525211371

Old
10-15-2003, 09:23 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

I don't really put too much stock into these "polls". I think Jose will have to redeem himself, and he certainly will, so he'll sneak up on the list. I'd rather see him play well and help the Habs win NOW, than being ranked number one, for past accomplishments.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:33 AM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosanostra
According to this article on the Hockey News, Jose Theodore is the 24th best goaltender in the league. Pasi Nurminen, Manny Legace, Tomas Vokoun, Mike Dunham, all if front of him. Better than that, they've got Roman Cechmanek 5th!

What a load of B.S. that is. Theo will be much better than he was last year.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:49 AM
gted85

Fleury at #9 he didn't even play a game before this list came out
horrible list

edit: forgot something

Old
10-15-2003, 09:50 AM
AK-47

The Hockey News is very homerish towards the leafs so I tend to negate and ignore most of their predictions.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:51 AM
Habs

Quote:

Is it really this hard to read the poll, in it's full context? The description clearly indicates:

"New Jersey's Martin Brodeur opens the 2003-04 season atop thehockeynews.com's weekly NHL Goalie Rankings."

"Pre-Season Goalie Rankings (with final stats from last season)"

It was only a weekly poll, based on the pre-season and last year's stats. Based on last years stats, and the pre-season, it looks about right.
Sheesh.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:53 AM
Darz

Right now it's all the rage to knock Theo. I assume this poll is based on some stupid criteria. I mean I know Joseph had an off year but 40th????

Marc-Andre Fleury 9th???? How many games do you have to play to be a top ten goalie??? 2 or 3 I guess.

Jocelyn Thibault 13th??? If you asked every GM in the league which goalie they rather have between Thibault and Theodore, I would assume every single one would choose Theo.

Jeff Hackett six spots higher than Theo????? uh, no.

...so many other funny ones. Well, the game ain't played on the pages of the hockey news, so....

Old
10-15-2003, 09:57 AM
Cosanostra

Isn't the Hockey News written in Toronto??? That would explain things!

Old
10-15-2003, 10:05 AM
Playr050

Send a message via AIM to Playr050
Quote:
Better than that, they've got Roman Cechmanek 5th!
Cechmanek takes alot of heat for his weak playoff performances, but the guy's money in the regular season.

92 wins, 1.95 GAA, .923 Sv% in just 3 seasons.

Old
10-15-2003, 10:19 AM
flyercide

What do Hab fans think has made the difference in Theo's play? Over-hyped, ego, the big $$ payout? Has anyone noticed anything significant in the way he has played last year/this year compared to two years ago? Does he appear to be back on track this season?

Old
10-15-2003, 10:22 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyercide
What do Hab fans think has made the difference in Theo's play? Over-hyped, ego, the big $$ payout? Has anyone noticed anything significant in the way he has played last year/this year compared to two years ago? Does he appear to be back on track this season?
He was horribly out of shape physically, and mentally, last season. Also, our D was brutal last year, and left Jose on his own.

Consider the Hackett situation as well, it effected a lot in the dressing room, and Theo's mental game.

My .02

Old
10-15-2003, 10:27 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I don't really put too much stock into these "polls". I think Jose will have to redeem himself, and he certainly will, so he'll sneak up on the list. I'd rather see him play well and help the Habs win NOW, than being ranked number one, for past accomplishments.
agreed

Old
10-15-2003, 11:00 AM
keemo905

Quote:

The big difference in Theo's game is confidence and the defensive system the team plays in front of him.

I say confidence because after he won his trophies and had a "really relaxed summer", he came to camp with an ego the size of king kong and like the monkey, he fell hard on his A**. This year he had a long summer to train and deflate his head. A lighter head is a lot easier to move on the ice .

Also, with the "new" system, he will receive a lot less shots and will look much better.

I always liked Theo a lot and I still think Hackett should have been traded 2 years ago when he was playing good. We could have had a lot for him but we waited until he had close to no value left and we didn't get much for him... Too bad.

My predictions for Theo this year, 37 wins, 2,20 GAV 92.5% SP

Goog season ahead I think

Old
10-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Cariboux

It's ridiculous ! Oh my god these guys don't know their goaltenders !

I think that they forgot Mike Liut as the #2

Old
10-15-2003, 12:25 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playr050
Cechmanek takes alot of heat for his weak playoff performances, but the guy's money in the regular season.

92 wins, 1.95 GAA, .923 Sv% in just 3 seasons.
At some point, statistics don't always tell the whole story. Cechmanek had a tremendous team in front of him for the last two seasons, as both the offense and the defense are great in Philly. He sure didn't get a lot of rubber, so that explains to an extent the fact that he had such a low goals against average. Cechmanek has no style, no technique, and yet he's lucky to sometimes manage to stop pucks. Hasek also has a very particular style, but he's ten times better that way. Cechmanek is not, IMO. He souldn't even be considered in the top 20 goalthenders if you ask me.

Old
10-15-2003, 12:31 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:

Theo's problems last year were that he had poor angles, was going down to early leaving him exposed up top. I noticed he got caught cheating A LOT on his angles. His confidence was rattled, and the D in front of him stunk.

In 3 games I haven't seen enough to say if he's recovered. I assume he has, as he seemed to get better as the season went on last year. So far he has done ok, but hasn't been tested much at all. Looks somewhat shaky, but he's getting the job done. I don't think he's as good as most think, but I do think he's very good. 5.5M is a lot of money.

Old
10-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

That's simply ridiculous.

Old
10-15-2003, 01:21 PM
Corey

I'm not offended. In fact, I don't care at all. Let's see how the voting for the Vézina trophy goes. The Hockey News preseason rating is just a way of filling space in the paper.

Old
10-15-2003, 01:39 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Only one thing to say, UNDERDOGS RULE

Closed Thread