HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr interested to play in Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2011, 08:14 AM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
I highly doubt he wants $5,000,000 a season at 40. He got his pay day in Russia and is the highest earning player in NHL history. No team will give him $5,000,000 in the salary cap world.

I'd look to the $2- 3 million dollar range for Jagr with heavy incentives in it for games played and points. Is all we can of ford anyways.

Old
04-30-2011, 08:18 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I highly doubt he wants $5,000,000 a season at 40. He got his pay day in Russia and is the highest earning player in NHL history. No team will give him $5,000,000 in the salary cap world.

I'd look to the $2- 3 million dollar range for Jagr with heavy incentives in it for games played and points. Is all we can of ford anyways.
I doubt he'd come here at 2-3 Mil after another ppg season in the KHL.

He'd sooner stay in the KHL, take home 6,7 or 8 Mil after taxes or whatever it is they'd offer him than to come to Montreal and take home 1 to 1.5 Million after taxes.

Jagr has always been after the money...

Old
04-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Old, out of his prime superstar rumored to be now interested in Montreal? You don't say. Shocking. That said, I'd take him just because he made use of his ass when protecting the puck like no other, I'd be entertained.

Old
04-30-2011, 08:19 AM
E = CH≤

Pass on my end.

Not sure what's the obsession with old farts who can't quite cut it anymore around here.

First, half this board wanted Kovalev at the deadline, and now Jagr ? C'mon.

Old
04-30-2011, 08:19 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
At 2-3M for a season, I'd be open to it. This should allow us to still fill our holes at other positions and retain who needs to be retained while adding Jagr.

Anything more than that and IMO we are potentially substracting a younger player who could have a bigger more long term impact on this team. (Like AK for example, for despite all his inconsistency can be a Top 6 forward for us for years and he's not worth losing for 1 year of Jagr).
I assure you that this won't happen.

Old
04-30-2011, 08:29 AM
coolasprICE

Jagr (2M) - Arnott (1M) - Kovalev (1M)

Old
04-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Pass, for me. A mere shell of his former self. If this was say, 15 years ago, I'd be drooling all over this.

Old
04-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booba View Post
Jagr interested to play in Montreal.....According to some czech website
http://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej-...se-do-nhl.html
http://toomanymenonthesite.com/2011/...-jaromir-jagr/
Great idea....maybe he and Gomez can play on a line together - and if Gauthier could talk Lafleur into coming out of retirement - what a line those 3 would make.

The sad truth is that if fans are even thinking about bringing in recapped retreads ....this will tell us all how bad off this organization really is.

Habs have 4 young players to build around - Price, Subban, Max P. (if he can regain his pre-injury form and continue to develop) and maybe Eller. Unfortunately - their current list of Habs players-to-be would not strike fear into the hearts of opposing GMs or coaches.

The sad reality: The NHL’s best teams have a much better draft record than do the Canadiens, regardless of their respective order of player selection.

Acquiring Gomez, brining in players like Jagr (way past his prime) are just continued forms of the patch-job rebuild that the Habs have been attempting over the past (now) 19 years.

Why not concentrate on building a team the way the NHL's best teams have been built?

If the Habs have to start at the bottom of the league (like the Oilers are finally doing under Tambellini) in order to acquire the top end talent needed to compete with the NHL's best teams - so be it.....they are in the process of rebulding for the 19th consecutive year - why not finally do the job right?

Last edited by Melvin Udall: 04-30-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old
04-30-2011, 08:40 AM
llamateizer

wow
my dream would come true

Old
04-30-2011, 08:42 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH≤ View Post
Pass on my end.

Not sure what's the obsession with old farts who can't quite cut it anymore around here.

First, half this board wanted Kovalev at the deadline, and now Jagr ? C'mon.
Jagr was and still is 10x the player Kovalev is.

Even at 40 (which he isn't), Jagr would still be better than half the players on our Top 6, including our captain.

If he's willing to accept a cheap deal, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Old
04-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I see many of you didn't bother reading the English link. It doesn't say Jagr is interested. It says the Habs are interested and he's thinking about it. He's forty and hasn't played at this level for a couple of years.

I'd sign him if he doesn want too much but that does not preclude getting rid of G-Love.
He played in the Olympics last year and he played pretty damn good, despite getting laid out by Ovechkin.

Old
04-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Thomas Jagr ?

Old
04-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

This would be a good move for PG to do. He and Emelin could be on the same flight to YUL .

Old
04-30-2011, 08:59 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
Great idea....maybe he and Gomez can play on a line together - and if Gauthier could talk Lafleur into coming out of retirement - what a line those 3 would make.

The sad truth is that if fans are even thinking about bringing in recapped retreads ....this will tell us all how bad off this organization really is.

Habs have 4 young players to build around - Price, Subban, Max P. (if he can regain his pre-injury form and continue to develop) and maybe Eller. Unfortunately - their current list of Habs players-to-be would not strike fear into the hearts of opposing GMs or coaches.

The sad reality: The NHLís best teams have a much better draft record than do the Canadiens, regardless of their respective order of player selection.

Acquiring Gomez, brining in players like Gagr (way past his prime) are just continued forms of the patch-job rebuild that the Habs have been attempting over the past (now) 19 years.

Why not concentrate on building a team the way the NHL's best teams have been built?

If the Habs have to start at the bottom of the league (like the Oilers are finally doing under Tambellini) in order to acquire the top end talent needed to compete with the NHL's best teams - so be it.....they are in the process of rebulding for the 19th consecutive year - why not finally do the job right?

Detroit is one of the best teams year in and year out and they don't tank to get themselves there. And if you could stop talking out of your ass it would be great because, believe it or not, since Timmins was hired, the Habs has one of the best recruiting and devellopement group.

Now.. trading away talent for pratically nothing, that's another story.

Old
04-30-2011, 09:02 AM
bib
#believe

People are saying he's too old and yet

Robert Lang turned 38 when he played here during the 2008-2009 season and was arguably our best player that season.

Jagr turns 40 in February.

Oh, and they were born and grew up an hour from each other's home towns.

And their birthdays are 58 days apart.

Old
04-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:

The sad reality: The NHLís best teams have a much better draft record than do the Canadiens, regardless of their respective order of player selection.

Acquiring Gomez, brining in players like Gagr (way past his prime) are just continued forms of the patch-job rebuild that the Habs have been attempting over the past (now) 19 years.

Never Heard of him.

That is a TERRIBLE way of rebuilding a team. I will not be a fan of a team who sell's out a tank's for years. PG is doing a great job building the current team and making it competitive every year. The reason that we are not in the top on the East is because we always have many injuries. If you don't like the way that the Habs built their team then cheer for the Oilers or the Senators for all i care.

Old
04-30-2011, 09:05 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:

Agree with you on most points, although it would still be cool to see Jagr suit it up in Montreal...

Although I thought the same thing about Gomez

Old
04-30-2011, 09:08 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Btw, he would finally get his 1600th career point! What a shame that he left at 1599.

Old
04-30-2011, 09:08 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Agree with you on most points, although it would still be cool to see Jagr suit it up in Montreal...

Although I thought the same thing about Gomez
If this is all true Gomez could be shipped out and Eller could take the Number 2 Center role and have 2 veterans playing with him in Jagr and Gio.

Old
04-30-2011, 09:13 AM
bib
#believe

Is it wrong of me to think that the Canadiens would possibly stoop to pay people to browse forums and spin team and organization perception?

This team smells of feces. But then again, iced poop doesn't stink.

Old
04-30-2011, 09:17 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I doubt he'd come here at 2-3 Mil after another ppg season in the KHL.

He'd sooner stay in the KHL, take home 6,7 or 8 Mil after taxes or whatever it is they'd offer him than to come to Montreal and take home 1 to 1.5 Million after taxes.

Jagr has always been after the money...
Well lets be honest here, neither one of really knows what he wants or what he can get. That being said its highly unlikely any team will give him that amount. IF that's what he wants then he'll probably end up retiring in the KHL. But if he wants to come back to the NHL then he has to take the premier league discount. Ask Yashin about it.

Old
04-30-2011, 09:20 AM
NHLcrazy

So did Brett Hull, Mats Sundin...

Old
04-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Turboflex*

he must be getting sick of russians

Old
04-30-2011, 09:37 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Well lets be honest here, neither one of really knows what he wants or what he can get. That being said its highly unlikely any team will give him that amount. IF that's what he wants then he'll probably end up retiring in the KHL. But if he wants to come back to the NHL then he has to take the premier league discount. Ask Yashin about it.
Well, he's been a PPG player in the KHL, and I don't see a reason why they wouldn't offer him the same crazy money that he's making now... I believe that it's close to 10 Million, with low taxes... If I'm not mistaken. He's a big name for them to have, and is still producing.

He always went for the money, never went for less in his life... don't see why he would now. Taking 2-3 million here would be highly unlikely imo.

Old
04-30-2011, 09:42 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Is it wrong of me to think that the Canadiens would possibly stoop to pay people to browse forums and spin team and organization perception?

This team smells of feces. But then again, iced poop doesn't stink.
How would you know something like that?

Closed Thread