HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jagr interested to play in Montreal

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

vCash: 500
Hells yes. I'd do it.

Old
04-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Belso

Let's see how he does at the worlds first...

Old
04-30-2011, 10:11 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
There was an incident a few years ago in his bar in Prague where he made a comment to the effect that he despises the English language.

So yeah.. I could see how he'd think he'd fit right in here in Kweebeck.
Wait... St-Raymond... Is this where they vote for this classless bus driver?

That's very telling...

Old
04-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Gary320

Of-course everyone wants to play for Montreal when no one else wants them.

Old
04-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Detroit is one of the best teams year in and year out and they don't tank to get themselves there. And if you could stop talking out of your ass it would be great because, believe it or not, since Timmins was hired, the Habs has one of the best recruiting and devellopement group.

Now.. trading away talent for pratically nothing, that's another story.

You are right - Detroit does not 'tank' to remain an elite team - because they they don't have to - they know how to draft and develop players - obviously they are the exception to the rule.

The HABS have been rebuilding for the last 19 years - if you want an elite team - the Habs 'formula' for rebuilding does not work!

Look at the best teams in the NHL - the nucleus of their roster is built through the DRAFT!

If the Habs had drafted well Gainey and his (then) assistant Gauthier would not have to have built his current roster with UFAs -and be saddled with long term albatross contracts and a team of smurfs.

When Gainey took over in 2003 the Habs lacked a big top-6 centre and a power forward - 8 years later the Habs continue to lack a big top-6 centre and a power forward.

Aside from Price, Subban and Max P. - where is all this great talent that Timmins has drafted for the Habs?

And - who do the Habs have in their system who will be ceratin difference makers at the NHL level?

Wake up dude - the cupboard is bare!

According to the HF Boards NHL Organization Rankings teams that are currently better than Montral have better players in their system than do the Habs including L.A. Wsahington, Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit, Chicago and even the lowly Tornoto Maple Leafs!

The talent the Habs have traded away may be useful on their new teams - but none of those players will be front line players on Cup competitors!

Old
04-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Well he has played with Gomez. Heck the last time Gomez had a good season was when he was on the same team as Jagr. If it's a 1 year deal, I wouldn't mind if the Habs take the chance. Not sure about his contract situation in Russia so it might not even be possible.

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta
Pacioretty-Gomez-Jagr

Old
04-30-2011, 10:30 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Lol can't believe some people don't want him, we had friggin Darche and Moen in our top 6 in the playoffs... Jagr isn't the player he once was but he'd still be a very good player who can put up points.

Old
04-30-2011, 10:36 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Another stanley cup winner, I see a trend developing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Well he has played with Gomez. Heck the last time Gomez had a good season was when he was on the same team as Jagr. If it's a 1 year deal, I wouldn't mind if the Habs take the chance. Not sure about his contract situation in Russia so it might not even be possible.

Pacioretty-Gomez-Jagr

Honestly though this is what could be an important part in my opinion, Maybe the organization sees Jagr and Gomez and Gionta and Gomez the same way and says to itself if we have to deal with gomez get him wingers he's had success with.

Jagr-Gomez-Gionta
Patches-plek- Cammy
Kostitsyn-Eller-White
Moen-Desharnais-Darche

Gives us a lot of possibilities up front for offense

Markov-Subban
Gorges-Gill
Wiz-Spaceman
Weber

Price
Ramo

Will hopefully be our lineup

Make it happen gauthier

Old
04-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
if this was 1992 i would say yes
not 2012
But since the world will be ending in 2012, don't you think we may as well take the risk?

Old
04-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
You are right - Detroit does not 'tank' to remain an elite team - because they they don't have to - they know how to draft and develop players - obviously they are the exception to the rule.

The HABS have been rebuilding for the last 19 years - if you want an elite team - the Habs 'formula' for rebuilding does not work!

Look at the best teams in the NHL - the nucleus of their roster is built through the DRAFT!

If the Habs had drafted well Gainey and his (then) assistant Gauthier would not have to have built his current roster with UFAs -and be saddled with long term albatross contracts and a team of smurfs.

When Gainey took over in 2003 the Habs lacked a big top-6 centre and a power forward - 8 years later the Habs continue to lack a big top-6 centre and a power forward.

Aside from Price, Subban and Max P. - where is all this great talent that Timmins has drafted for the Habs?

And - who do the Habs have in their system who will be ceratin difference makers at the NHL level?

Wake up dude - the cupboard is bare!

According to the HF Boards NHL Organization Rankings teams that are currently better than Montral have better players in their system than do the Habs including L.A. Wsahington, Pittsburgh, Boston, Detroit, Chicago and even the lowly Tornoto Maple Leafs!

The talent the Habs have traded away may be useful on their new teams - but none of those players will be front line players on Cup competitors!

If the formula for being elite is tanking and being awful for years, why haven't Washington, Boston, L.A., Toronto, Atlanta, Phoenix, Columbus, Islanders, Florida, St.Louis etc haven't gotten past the 2nd round in almost decades+.

Face it, for every Chicago and Pittsburgh there is a Islanders, Columbus, Atlanta, Florida. Like you mentioned with Detroit, they key isn't finishing last every year, it's developing players you draft properly.

I think what you want isn't merely a cup competitor, rather a superstar, elite player of the ilk of an Ovechkin or Crosby. Because good trading and player developing is a much more sustainable team building philosophy than having your fans suffer for years to perhaps be as good as you are now with the addition of a star player.

Old
04-30-2011, 10:54 AM
habfaninvictoria

two letters... Capitalized

N

O

Old
04-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

I would take him, but with a salary that would entice good play from him. Something like 1M$ + production bonuses. That way, if he's the gambler alot of people said, I think he'd do everything to produce...

Old
04-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Jagr (2M) - Arnott (1M) - Kovalev (1M)
At this point, I'd take Arnott way before Jagr.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:03 AM
pine

yes please. Who cares if he is 40, he is still a top 6 forward. Sure beats having Moen or Darche.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:04 AM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Lol can't believe some people don't want him, we had friggin Darche and Moen in our top 6 in the playoffs... Jagr isn't the player he once was but he'd still be a very good player who can put up points.
It's not like he's the only option out there...

We have a solid team spirit and Jagr is a diva. I don't want.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:05 AM
bipolarhabfan

I would take a flyer on him if he were not asking for too much money. He will be better than Halpern, Darch, and Moen on the top lines.

As well, I hope he has aged as gracefully as Selanne, a player who looked like he was 25 years old this season.

The reason we trying to get a player like Jagr is that the team has not drafted any top-6 forwards. Timmins is good at finding depth players but taht offesnive superstar eludes us. Moreover, our player development is terrible.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Miller Time

if he wants to play here, and will take 2-3M$, AND Martin feels confident he can work with him, then he'd definitely be worth a shot...

Cammy-Pleks-Jagr
MaxPac-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-A.Kost

that's a pretty solid top 9, perhaps a physical upgrade over Pouliot would be beneficial... but if not that would still be a good group to enter the season with.

not sure where DD would fit in, maybe he plays on the wing instead of Pouliot, but DD/Gionta/Gomez/Pleks... that's a lot of small bodies...

Old
04-30-2011, 11:11 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
If the formula for being elite is tanking and being awful for years, why haven't Washington, Boston, L.A., Toronto, Atlanta, Phoenix, Columbus, Islanders, Florida, St.Louis etc haven't gotten past the 2nd round in almost decades+.

Face it, for every Chicago and Pittsburgh there is a Islanders, Columbus, Atlanta, Florida. Like you mentioned with Detroit, they key isn't finishing last every year, it's developing players you draft properly.

I think what you want isn't merely a cup competitor, rather a superstar, elite player of the ilk of an Ovechkin or Crosby. Because good trading and player developing is a much more sustainable team building philosophy than having your fans suffer for years to perhaps be as good as you are now with the addition of a star player.
A lot of people underate our situation regarding superstars, we have one in net right now, and we are literally on the cusp of having one on defense. A one-two punch like that in the most important positions for long-term winning in hockey is so important. People seem to only care about superstar forwards, which I admit would be very nice to have right now but we just simply don't. But we also don't know what the future holds, we could very well draft one this year for all we know. Gomez's salary eventually coming off the books is going to open up Superstar money as well. As long as we have Price-Subban we have a window to build a contender.

There is just a lot of negativity and "grass is greener" mentality on this forum. By no means is this team perfect, but we have a lot of potential with the young players we have. I can't help but remain optimistic, if anything I think Gauthier has shown he's more of a building through the draft and player development kind of guy than Gainey was and that in itself is a step in the right direction. Just look at how Pacioretty worked out for us this season, the timing of his call-up was immaculate.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:13 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I never liked Jagr, but even if he was 50, he couldn't be any worse than Moen in our Top-6.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Jagr
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Desharnais - Eller - Kostitsyn

I could live with that.
That lineup is mouth-watering! (Well Wolverine offsets the Gomer). And hey! Why are you still a mod, Captain Losebets-a-lot?

Old
04-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Krnage

he want to play at Montreal just because Gomez is here

Old
04-30-2011, 11:19 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I never liked Jagr, but even if he was 50, he couldn't be any worse than Moen in our Top-6.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Jagr
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Desharnais - Eller - Kostitsyn

I could live with that.
One hell of a top 9, thats for sure...

Anyways what do we lose in offering him a 1 year contract?

Old
04-30-2011, 11:19 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:

Pacioretty-Gomez-Jagr

But when they played together didn't Jagr move to the line with Dubinsky because him and Gomez weren't a good fit. I remember seeing an interview with Jagr talking about Gomez being to fast and that's why they weren't gelling. Jagr likes to slow the play down.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

He still has more skill than those washed up French players who want to come here to finish their career, that's for sure.

Marc Denis, Denis Gauthier, and before Gainey we use to sign them all the time.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:26 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
But when they played together didn't Jagr move to the line with Dubinsky because him and Gomez weren't a good fit. I remember seeing an interview with Jagr talking about Gomez being to fast and that's why they weren't gelling. Jagr likes to slow the play down.
Jagr likely wants to play with Plekanec anyways, they are good buddies. You are right in that he's a ''slow the play'' type player. Kovalev was the same, and he had pretty good chemistry with Plekanec. Cammalleri might also benefit a lot from it ; everyone is going to watch out for the big and scary hall of famer while the small elusive sniper gets in position to one time anything that gets by him.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Andy

Hard to have an opinion on this one considering he hasn't played in the nhl the last two years.

Age means very little nowadays (look at Selanne and Recchi). Jagr can still skate that's for sure and definitely has the hockey sense. The question is whether his skills can still match the speed of the nhl and at decent enough level to put him in the top 6. Jagr not producing is one that is useless.

This could be interesting or can be a complete disaster.

I'm on the fence.

Last edited by Andy: 04-30-2011 at 11:47 AM.
Closed Thread