HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Superb Interview With Gord Miller

Old
04-30-2011, 09:54 AM
crashthenet

vCash: 500
The Isles had something more than a late season surge. It was something akin to an organizational re-org.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 10:04 AM
bioman22

We need a puck moving defensemen like we need another rookie forward... We have three already, Donovan in the system and we may be dumb enough to pick Murphy.

We need some def that scares people! From the stay at home D side: Mot, Eaton and Jurcina are not the answer. Is it me or was I the only one who could see how soft & slow Mot and Eaton were last year. They totally collapse in pressure also. Not impressed at all, look at our record with these loafs on D. We went 19 games without a win with them on D.

bioman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Isles72

in 5 years they'll be saying the minnesota wild will be the next new york islanders

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 12:47 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
I have been saying that forever and i am not even a professional writer. wang is this franchise's problem and it doesn't matter even if wang gets his new free arena, and starts making oodles and oodles of money off of it. wang is still wang and he will still run things his way which has proven the wrong way and this team will continue to suffer unless a new buyer emerges and runs the team properly.
I don't think it's that simple with Charles Wang. I see it broken down into 3 different periods:
The Milbury era: Wang buys the team, knows nothing about hockey and let's Mike Milbury have carte blanche. Milbury spends Wangs money, brings in Peca and Yashin.
The Neil Smith era: This period encompasses the Milbury lame duck period (toward the end of Mike's reign) , Neil Smith's short stint as GM and the early Garth period. I think this is when Wang thinks he's figured out this game called "hockey" and he starts to make hockey decisions. The organization is basically directionsless during this time period.
The Garth Snow era: Wang actually starts to figure out this game called "hockey", realizes it's probably a good idea to trust his hockey guys (although I think he's still active in hockey decisions, but with a better perspective) and trusts Garth Snow with a rebuild. The team finally has a plan.

I know there are those that will say Wang just won't spend money, but it was fairly well documented last year that Snow offered Paul Maritin more money then any other team. There was also talk that the Islanders were persuing Kovalchuk, which would not have been cheap by any means. Wang was willing to pay Yashin and gave DP a 15 year contract. Not exactly the moves from a guy that's afraid to spend money (actually seems kind of reckless, or the moves of a person that has plenty of money).

I know that there are those that will say, that Wang is just in it for the money. I'm not that naive to know, that at the end of the day, Wang is a businessman and he's all about making money. But if you look at many pro fanchises in various sports that are losing money, you'll see rich, smart, businessmen that own the teams. Why own them? To feed their ego, and nothing feeds their ego then a winning team they can brag about to the boys down at the country club. I honestly believe Wang is willing to lose money to make the Islanders a winner (he's been losing money since he bought the team). Once the Islanders become more successful on the ice, you'll see free agents sign there. The team has been in an honest rebuild for the last 3 years and it makes no sense to throw around money during a rebuild.

I know I'll be crucified for this post, but that's how I see it.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:12 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman22 View Post
We need a puck moving defensemen like we need another rookie forward... We have three already, Donovan in the system and we may be dumb enough to pick Murphy.

We need some def that scares people! From the stay at home D side: Mot, Eaton and Jurcina are not the answer. Is it me or was I the only one who could see how soft & slow Mot and Eaton were last year. They totally collapse in pressure also. Not impressed at all, look at our record with these loafs on D. We went 19 games without a win with them on D.
Eaton collapses in pressure? LOLWUT? Is that why he was a key piece to the Stanley cup champion Penguins defense?

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:26 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Eaton collapses in pressure? LOLWUT? Is that why he was a key piece to the Stanley cup champion Penguins defense?
Let's not re-write history entirely, here. While he certainly was a solid contributor to the Pens' win, I don't think you can call him a "key piece", not unless you also want to call every single player who suited up for the Pens that playoff drive a "key piece".

The big minute guys on defense were the Gonchar/Orpik pairing (number one pairing), and the shutdown duo of Scuderi/Gill. Eaton played on the bottom pairing with Kris Letang. Eaton was hardly counted on to be "the man" in any key situations, whether it be PK, PP, or shutting down the opposition's top players.

As I said above, he was solid in that role as a bottom pairing guy, and by no means am I agreeing with the suggestion he wilts under pressure. But you kind of make it sound like he was one of the key cogs of winning. Eaton was the defense equivalent of what a guy like Craig Adams was to the forward group. Adams did his part, but he was hardly what I'd call a "key piece".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I know there are those that will say Wang just won't spend money, but it was fairly well documented last year that Snow offered Paul Maritin more money then any other team. There was also talk that the Islanders were persuing Kovalchuk, which would not have been cheap by any means. Wang was willing to pay Yashin and gave DP a 15 year contract. Not exactly the moves from a guy that's afraid to spend money (actually seems kind of reckless, or the moves of a person that has plenty of money).

I know that there are those that will say, that Wang is just in it for the money. I'm not that naive to know, that at the end of the day, Wang is a businessman and he's all about making money. But if you look at many pro fanchises in various sports that are losing money, you'll see rich, smart, businessmen that own the teams. Why own them? To feed their ego, and nothing feeds their ego then a winning team they can brag about to the boys down at the country club. I honestly believe Wang is willing to lose money to make the Islanders a winner (he's been losing money since he bought the team). Once the Islanders become more successful on the ice, you'll see free agents sign there. The team has been in an honest rebuild for the last 3 years and it makes no sense to throw around money during a rebuild
Your first paragraph, you seem to defend Wang by saying he was willing to spend money to bring in Martin and/or Kovalchuk. Your second paragraph you then seem to defend the organization's lack of spending by saying it doesn't make sense to throw money around during a rebuild.

I guess I'm just wondering which is it? If Wang had landed Martin and/or Kovalchuk, would you have criticized him for it since he'd be "throwing around money during a rebuild"? And if you would have applauded him for the signings, then doesn't that go against the part I bolded in your second paragraph?

I'm just clarifying here, because it seems in one post you're defending *both* sides of the coin: that's there's proof he's willing to spend, but also that it makes no sense to spend.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:44 PM
boredmale

Quote:
I don't think it's that simple with Charles Wang. I see it broken down into 3 different periods:
The Milbury era: Wang buys the team, knows nothing about hockey and let's Mike Milbury have carte blanche. Milbury spends Wangs money, brings in Peca and Yashin.
In the take it for what's it's worth category Milbury seems to put blame of the 10 year deal on Wang. Wang definitely was responsible for the Dipietro deal as well.

Trading for a marquee player wasn't a bad idea(although hindsite being 20/20 they might have been better going after Lindros or Jagr who were also traded at roughly the same time) but the 10 contract they gave to Yashin is what killed us. I would have loved to see how different the Yashin era for this team would have been if they just gave him a 5 year deal.

While the Dipeitro deal was more a calculated risk because unlike Yashin it wasn't a case of paying a guy top dollar for 10 years, but that deal blew up in our face quickly(I always said the only bad thing that could possibly happen with the contract is if Dipietro gets injured and become a shell of himself, sadly it took less then 1 year for that scenario to happen)

The fact that Wang was involved in both of our biggest contract blunders though will always put a negative mark on the team if they ever go out looking for another GM. I am guessing Neil Smith as well probably doesn't have the happiest memories of his 40 days here.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:56 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman22 View Post

1st bolded: The problem isn't puck movement; the problem is that they often get manhandled off of the puck during boardplay against other teams that employ stronger forwards. I'd rather see guys like Wishart hit their stride so regardless whether or not he initiates contact, his size (and hopefully "proportional" strength) helps him win battles at the boards. We need puck movers, but not small, weak ones.

2nd bolded: As bad as the team was when Eaton was healthy, and as much as +/- is a dicey stat, Eaton's "-2" is an surprisingly near-even stat considering he only played 34 games, and was only around for the 2nd half surge until January.

Mottau is another story....I think he's fringe; I'd have no qualms if he spent next year as a top-4 in Bridgeport. We need the room for a better player.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:12 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Let's not re-write history entirely, here. While he certainly was a solid contributor to the Pens' win, I don't think you can call him a "key piece", not unless you also want to call every single player who suited up for the Pens that playoff drive a "key piece".

The big minute guys on defense were the Gonchar/Orpik pairing (number one pairing), and the shutdown duo of Scuderi/Gill. Eaton played on the bottom pairing with Kris Letang. Eaton was hardly counted on to be "the man" in any key situations, whether it be PK, PP, or shutting down the opposition's top players.

As I said above, he was solid in that role as a bottom pairing guy, and by no means am I agreeing with the suggestion he wilts under pressure. But you kind of make it sound like he was one of the key cogs of winning. Eaton was the defense equivalent of what a guy like Craig Adams was to the forward group. Adams did his part, but he was hardly what I'd call a "key piece".

Your first paragraph, you seem to defend Wang by saying he was willing to spend money to bring in Martin and/or Kovalchuk. Your second paragraph you then seem to defend the organization's lack of spending by saying it doesn't make sense to throw money around during a rebuild.

I guess I'm just wondering which is it? If Wang had landed Martin and/or Kovalchuk, would you have criticized him for it since he'd be "throwing around money during a rebuild"? And if you would have applauded him for the signings, then doesn't that go against the part I bolded in your second paragraph?

I'm just clarifying here, because it seems in one post you're defending *both* sides of the coin: that's there's proof he's willing to spend, but also that it makes no sense to spend.
When the Islander rebuild is brought up, fans often state that the Islanders should at least add a veteran or two to the lineup to help the young core. Then they follow it up with the notion that Wang didn't add anyone, because he doesn't want to spend the money. I was actaully defending Wang, saying he's willing to spend the money in some cases, but for the rebuild to take place, he shouldn't get reckless and sign 4 or 5 veterans in a push to make the playoffs, and stunt the rebuilding process.

Old
04-30-2011, 10:16 PM
periferal

Quote:
The Neil Smith era: This period encompasses the Milbury lame duck period (toward the end of Mike's reign) , Neil Smith's short stint as GM and the early Garth period. I think this is when Wang thinks he's figured out this game called "hockey" and he starts to make hockey decisions. The organization is basically directionsless during this time period.
The Garth Snow era: Wang actually starts to figure out this game called "hockey", realizes it's probably a good idea to trust his hockey guys (although I think he's still active in hockey decisions, but with a better perspective) and trusts Garth Snow with a rebuild. The team finally has a plan.

The Neil Smith "ERA."

Really? You mean all 40 or so days of it?

I don't care how Wang made his money. He's an incompetent NHL owner who's created the culture of a circus on Long Island.

Gord Miller is simply stating the truth. I can understand the knee-jerk reaction of wanting to attack Miller, but the frustration you feel is that of the truth of knowing Wang is the problem and the sad reality that he's going nowhere.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:40 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
The Neil Smith "ERA."

I don't care how Wang made his money. He's an incompetent NHL owner who's created the culture of a circus on Long Island.

Gord Miller is simply stating the truth. I can understand the knee-jerk reaction of wanting to attack Miller, but the frustration you feel is that of the truth of knowing Wang is the problem and the sad reality that he's going nowhere.
You've taken me out of context. If you read the section titled the Neil Smith era, it encompasses the tail end of the Milbury time, and the beginning of the Snow regime. Please, at least give me the respect to read the whole section.

As far as Gord Miller goes, when Botta asks him if the Islanders will make the playoffs next year, he doesn't even give it a thought, it was almost robotic the way he answered no. Don't you think a little thought could have gone into his answer?

Do you think the Islanders don't have a puck moving defensemen? I don't know if you followed the Islanders in 2008-2009, but their defensemen Mark Streit was an allstar. He was a terrific quarterback on the powerplay and he was one of the better puck moving defensemen in the NHL. Streit got hurt in training camp and missed the whole season. Trust me, he's very good. You'll get a chance to see him play next season. I think when you do see him play, you'll probably agree with my assessment over Gord Miller's. The Islanders also have 2 solid young defensemen in Andy McDonald and Travis Hamonic. This Gord Miller doesn't seem to know who they are.

Do you think the Rangers have a better core of young players? Would you trade John Tavares and Michael Grabner for Callahan and Dubinsky? I certainly wouldn't. Please trust me on this one, Tavares and Grabner are better players.

Do you think the Islanders will make the playoffs next year? Barring 500 man games lost in injuries, I think the Islanders will make the playoffs.

Old
05-01-2011, 01:43 PM
TennesseeJedd

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
The Neil Smith "ERA."

No, the frustration is Islander fans hailing this guys regurgitation of Toronto bias and Islander fans rejoicing in a "fresh and honest" evaluation from an outsider who has gained more knowledge of the Islanders circumstances based on a consensus of media opinion, while dismissing the positives of the young talent in the organization.

What exactly makes what he said so earth moving that Islander fans themselves have know for years? This interview was conducted recently after the Pitt/Isles grudge match in which the entire Hockey media lambasted the Islanders as a scourge of the league. Do you really think his opinion was unbiased?

And for Islander fans to feel somehow vindicated by any outsider (especially the always "fair and objective") Toronto media (yeah right), who know as much about the Islanders as his 10 games watching them allows, quite frankly is sickening.

Us Islander fans live and breath for our team and have earned the right to speak out, but I will be damned if I am going to give him the respect of his opinion that so many here are rushing to support.

Yes, our team analysts all give the bright side of things, that is what they do, but as fans I would hope we are smart enough to see this as just another fringe analyst preaching to the choir.

As stated earlier, does any true Islander fan agree the Rangers have a better young talent pool than the Islanders? Or that being one of the best teams in the NHL since December and in that time beating some of the top teams the league has to offer was a fluke? How does he just ignore that we had 5 20 goal scorers and 3 30 goal guys?

You Fans go ahead and bow to the "opinion" of a guy who spent his time dumping on your team, me? I'm gonna rely on what I saw over 82 games

As I stated earlier, this was the result of a backlash the Islanders received because we DARED to take no crap from one of the NHL's darlings, where dumping on the Islanders was in fashion and increased site hits.

It is just sad to see fellow fans embrace it.

Last edited by TennesseeJedd: 05-01-2011 at 01:49 PM.
TennesseeJedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
With all due respect, I do think Miller's commentary on being weary/cautious about the Isles' record in the second half of the season indicating they *will* be good next year is a valid one. Granted, he might just be spewing the usual and applying it to the Isles, but there is merit in the idea that you have to be at least a bit cautious when evaluating the results of a team that starts winning when they have nothing left to lose.

An example of this, and how pressure suddenly makes it a whole new ball game, is the New Jersey Devils this year. Like the Isles, they got off to a horrible start that pretty much had their season written off by about the 25-game mark. After the coaching change, they then went on that ridiculous winning streak, and went something like 23-2 during one particular stretch. They had no pressure every game, because their season was written off for dead.

But what happened when that winning streak put them back in striking range of the playoffs, when making the playoffs was a possibility once more? When the games were suddenly pressure-filled, because if they lost, it meant losing ground on teams they had a realistic chance of catching? Their record wasn't quite as spotless, and they even faltered a bit during one stretch of games that basically cost them the chance to pull off a miracle ending to their season.

All of that isn't to say you shouldn't be optimistic about some of the individual things you saw during the Isle's turn around. The scoring production of Grabner, the improvement of Tavares' all-around game, Moulson showing his 30 goal season the previous year wasn't a fluke, the emergence of Hamonic and Macdonald on defense, etc. Those are things to be excited about, and to pin hopes for the future on. But I don't think the actual wins and losses during a time when none of the games meant anything are the best indication of future success.

All IMO, of course. And, as my NJ example above, it's not just "because it's the Islanders" that I feel it's a legitimate point, even if Miller did seem to be a bit ignorant on some of his comments toward the Isles.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Isles72

the thing is , the educated islander fan is already cautious about being too optimistic for next season.

gord could have at least thrown the fans of botta's blog a bone or two and agreed that the future is kinda bright / but throw caution to the wind by expressing ''lets see them do this from oct-april ''

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 03:39 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
With all due respect, I do think Miller's commentary on being weary/cautious about the Isles' record in the second half of the season indicating they *will* be good next year is a valid one. Granted, he might just be spewing the usual and applying it to the Isles, but there is merit in the idea that you have to be at least a bit cautious when evaluating the results of a team that starts winning when they have nothing left to lose.

An example of this, and how pressure suddenly makes it a whole new ball game, is the New Jersey Devils this year. Like the Isles, they got off to a horrible start that pretty much had their season written off by about the 25-game mark. After the coaching change, they then went on that ridiculous winning streak, and went something like 23-2 during one particular stretch. They had no pressure every game, because their season was written off for dead.

But what happened when that winning streak put them back in striking range of the playoffs, when making the playoffs was a possibility once more? When the games were suddenly pressure-filled, because if they lost, it meant losing ground on teams they had a realistic chance of catching? Their record wasn't quite as spotless, and they even faltered a bit during one stretch of games that basically cost them the chance to pull off a miracle ending to their season.

All of that isn't to say you shouldn't be optimistic about some of the individual things you saw during the Isle's turn around. The scoring production of Grabner, the improvement of Tavares' all-around game, Moulson showing his 30 goal season the previous year wasn't a fluke, the emergence of Hamonic and Macdonald on defense, etc. Those are things to be excited about, and to pin hopes for the future on. But I don't think the actual wins and losses during a time when none of the games meant anything are the best indication of future success.

All IMO, of course. And, as my NJ example above, it's not just "because it's the Islanders" that I feel it's a legitimate point, even if Miller did seem to be a bit ignorant on some of his comments toward the Isles.
very good post sid the kid, even with the post concussion issues you still got game!

Wonder how much Burke was counting on last seasons Leaf surge coming into this season or this seasons late surge for next season? hm.

I don't put much stock into the record per se, but I must say the Isles weren't blown out of any game since December. Even with subpar goaltending and incredible injuries, they still managed to be "in games" with a chance to win. They were much better at protecting leads and their younger players were the KEY players in getting better.

These are reasons for optimism, sure, but EVEN IF all goes well with continued development next season and Streit/Okposo come back healthy, this still isn't a playoff team.

Question marks in goal, defense and in the top six.

You have to think that if Nino makes the team, he probably won't be great in his rookie year, same for deHaan. If Okposo, Bailey don't take a huge step forward they're in trouble. If Grabner only average 3 breakaways per game that will be a huge set-back.

This NEXT step, the playoffs, is a HUGE step....not an incremental step that's a foregone conclusion.

I'm still optimistic ONLY because I believe in Tavares, Bailey, Okposo, Grabner, Nielsen, Moulson, Streit, MacDonald, Hamonic, deHaan, Niederreiter, LANDESKOG/COUTURIER - I think these guys are really good hockey players and represent a solid core.

But this is a core that's two years away - at the earliest. (IMO) -- but we will see!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:28 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:

The problem I have with the arguement that teams out of the race don't have any pressure on them, so it's not a fair assement of how good they are, misses an important point. The opponants if they are in a playoff race, have an easier time getting up for the games and their intensity level is much higher.

How many times have we heard that the best NHL teams seem to play better in January as the playoff picture starts to come into play. The playoff teams are more motivated and therefore, they have to leave everything out on the ice, night in and night out trying to secure their playoff position.

I think that makes it a wash.

The thing that bothers me most about Gord's opinion, is that it's clear he has most of his actual facts wrong and by the sound of his voice and the abruptness to some of his answers, it comes off sounding personnel. He clearly had an agenda going in, and he had no intention of being at all objective.

Here's something for Gord to think about:
-The last time the Maple Leafs won the Stanley Cup, the Vietnam war was going on, we had not yet landed on the moon and the #1 show on TV was Bonanza (most of the actors in that show have long since passed away).

-The Maple Leafs are the most financially successful franchise in the NHL, yet they haven't been in the playoffs in 8 years (the Islanders have a 5 year drought).

- The Maple Leafs are generally near the top in payroll, and yet they always seem to manage to get in the top ten for draft picks (they traded last years & this years 1st round pick).

So when it comes to the way franchises are run...
Gord?

Old
05-02-2011, 06:27 AM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

It was an excellent interview, and I do agree for the most part. Gord Miller said that the instability in the organization is the biggest problem, and the Isles will never win until that problem is solved...long term problem.

The largest immediate problem (which Miller did point out), is the goaltending.

I have been watching the playoff games, and the goalies have been absolutely terrific. They have saved many games alone.

When I watch DP, he does not look like a winning goalie at all. Isles will NOT win next year if DP is back. Montoya and Poulin have looked much better, but how will they do in a whole season of work? And more importantly, how will they do in the playoffs?

I think everyone would agree that the Isles will go nowhere with DP. It doesn't matter how good the offense of defense is...if the opponents only manage 10 shots, but DP lets in 3, then they will lose no matter how well they play.

The past 2/3 years, when DP is in net, he seems to expose any holes in the defense. He has also exposed to everyone that he will not lead the Isles to a championship.

The question is...who will??

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:31 AM
crashthenet

As for the "team is not playing for anything so winning isn't an accomplishment" theory, the oil were out of it by Thanksgiving(American or Canadian), why weren't they racking up the pressureless victories. I also didn't see the avs burning it up in Feb/March.

Wang is a strange man make no mistake about it. This is a man who spends more Islander dollars on youth hockey in China than on youth hockey on Long Island. I could go on and on about this but won't.

The forty days Neil Smith spent with the Isles was his only NHL job in about 15 years. Think about it.

Gord Miller could have spent 20 minutes talking about the owner and arena and it would have taken care of all the obstacles facing the team. The roster is one or two players and some more maturation away from competing.

Mottau, Jurcina and Eaton are spare parts and I'm not convinced Wishart isn't a year away from contributing.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
while the Isles may not have been playing for anything as a team the last two months of the season, most of the players like Montoya, were playing for their jobs, or like the B'Port kids, were playing to show they belonged in the NHL.

To say they werent playing for "anything" is totally incorrect. 75% of our roster was playing for their livelihood, which is a bit of a pressure situation.

Not sure why people put so much stock in what a guy like Gord Miller thinks? Do we really need external validation from the Canadian hockey media? Although I will say that some of the things he said about the Islanders organization are quite true, even if some of us dont want to hear it.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

That interview made me really feel bad for Bailey.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
periferal

Here's my point on the interview...Take Gord Miller out of the equation entirely, and answer this question:

Do we have a competant owner that you believe can do the OFF-ICE things neccessary to lead us to a Stanley Cup?

• If you answered "Yes," then surely you have a bone to pick with Miller.
  • However if you answered "No," then Miller's comments ring true no matter what "Toronto Bias" you may/may not believe in.

I happen to believe that Wang is inept, so until I SEE WITH MY OWN EYES the Islanders in the playoffs and competing for a Cup, I won't believe it.

I am very much a *show me* type of guy, so I don't care what "progress" has supposedly been made over the last few months. If a year from now the Islanders missed the playoffs again, are we still going to be attacking guys like Miller then? What about if we're still picking in the top 15 two, three, seven years from now?

The ball is 4000% in Wang's/Snow's court...If you want the rest of the hockey world to stop bashing you...Then win.

Period.

No one will have anything to say if the day actually comes when Tavares raises the Cup and parades it around Nassau County.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:33 PM
jdr016

Good interview. I agreed with most of what he said. My one major point of contention would be him saying the Rangers are better off than the Islanders. While, I wouldn't be shocked if they are, I think it's ridiculous to assume it's a foregone conclusion. All of their high profile UFA signings are busts. They were lucky to get rid of the Gomez contract. Gaborik sucked last year and they still have three more years of him. Lundqvist has choked as much as he's been stellar since signing his big contract. Great goalies don't blow three goal leads on home ice in the playoffs! Also, I'm not sold that the Devils will just bounce back like this year never happened. On top of that, they are in cap trouble and the rock of the franchise (Brodeur) appears to finally have given in to Father Time.

jdr016 is offline   Reply With Quote