HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaromir Jagr

View Poll Results: Do you think Jaromir will be back with the NYR (after retiring) in some capacity?
Yes, as a representative of the organization 11 8.66%
Yes, as a guest at special Ranger events 57 44.88%
No, Sather has permanently burned that bridge 68 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-30-2011, 01:37 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

vCash: 500
Jaromir Jagr

After seeing our former captain's name being brought up in the "Richards-LW" thread, it really got me to thinking about how he left, and what a bad taste in left in everyone's mouth.

I know most fans would have liked to see him come back, and the way Sather just bluntly told him he wasn't in the plans was a slap in the face IMO. He didn't want to leave, and despite having opportunities to stay in the NHL, went to Russia. NYR was the only team he wanted to play for.

He loved NY and the fans, and we loved him. He made hockey relevant again, when it could have faded into even more obscurity following the lockout. He got us back into the playoffs, and along with Henrik, got MSG rocking again. Although he was here for a short time, I feel like he made a pretty big impact on this team.

What I'm saying here is, do you think anytime in the future he will be back with the team? Not as a player, but perhaps for special ceremonies? Retirement nights? Public relations type gig?

Or do you think there will be/should be a Jaromir Jagr night in the future sometime? Obviously not a retiring of his jersey, but a final chance for the Garden Faithful to say thanks and goodbye?

Sorry if this has been brought up before, just thought it was interesting to discuss.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:47 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
No and not because bridges to Sather are burned.
He has no ambition to live in NYC, and as player it is out of question. Even he knows that.
I don't see him as an ambassador for the Rangers...

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 05:56 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Special Guest. After what he did for the Rangers, almost single-handedly bringing them back into the playoffs after 7 years, I find it hard to believe the Rangers organization wouldn't reach out to him.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 08:11 AM
TheHotRock

i don't think he'll ever work for the organization in any capacity but he should be welcome back with open arms any time he decides to take in a ranger game the guy did more for the franchise than any player in the modern era not named mess, graves, richter, leetch or henrik.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 08:42 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i don't think he'll ever work for the organization in any capacity but he should be welcome back with open arms any time he decides to take in a ranger game the guy did more for the franchise than any player in the modern era not named mess, graves, richter, leetch or henrik.
This.

Love, love, love the guy for what he did for the team..but that ship has sailed.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 09:28 AM
polako

He was not retained because the organization needed money to sign Gomez and Drury and get back to the NA-style game that Sather wanted.

Next to Henrik, Jags is the most important Ranger since the Cup winning trio of Mess, Leetch, and Richter.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

No, not Sathers fault though. He probably just wants to live at home IMO. I'd love for him to be involved with the organization again but I just don't see it happening.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

jags needed money, he had financial worries...... and after the signing of redden, gomez and drury there was no money to match Jagrs ideas.

Old
04-30-2011, 11:08 AM
cenas*

I voted all of them.

cenas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:26 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Jagr even at this stage of his career has impact on the ice. He will still get special attention b/c of his size and skill. He could be a good tool on a powerplay.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:18 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
He was not retained because the organization needed money to sign Gomez and Drury and get back to the NA-style game that Sather wanted.
Gomez and Drury were teammates of Jagr, signed the year before Jagr's contract expired.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:26 PM
NHLsnipers

Unfortunately no. He is taking over Presidency of the Prague team that his father owns. I would love to see him at least come back and retire with the Rangers or even Pittsburgh for a final goodbye.

NHLsnipers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:27 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Gomez and Drury were teammates of Jagr, signed the year before Jagr's contract expired.
Yes but the decision to not retain him was in part to hand over the team to Gomez and Drury.

We had a legit superstar in Jagr who could still take over a game at basically any time he wanted to (see 08 playoffs) and we just let him go to turn the team over to these two guys and sign Wade Redden. That offseason alone set us back a while.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 01:40 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
jags needed money, he had financial worries...... and after the signing of redden, gomez and drury there was no money to match Jagrs ideas.
The sad part was Jagr was better than all 3 of those guys combined. Its a shame Sather did what he did. The most competetive team we ever had and only lost to Buff because of the dominant Miller and the unlucky break. Should have had young guys build around those type of guys like Nylander, Straka, Jagr instead of Gomez and Drury. I hated the move than and i still hate it now, but hey that is Sather for you.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Blueblood 2

Gone and not coming back. Never had a bad taste when he left either. Renney did however since it meant the end for him as well. We have moved on and thankfully so. I love this team!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:38 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

I want him back just so he can get his 1600th point and retire. He's stuck on 1599 career points, and it bothers 'ol OCD me.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 02:51 PM
chip chipperson*

would love to see jagr again in any capacity.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:19 PM
n_a_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Yes but the decision to not retain him was in part to hand over the team to Gomez and Drury.

We had a legit superstar in Jagr who could still take over a game at basically any time he wanted to (see 08 playoffs) and we just let him go to turn the team over to these two guys and sign Wade Redden. That offseason alone set us back a while.
Hind sight is 20/20, and you are correct. It's too bad. I'm pretty sure that Jagr would have demanded 8 million + a year (9+ ?), which no team in the NHL wanted to give him. It sure was a pleasure to watch him for a while.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
Hind sight is 20/20, and you are correct. It's too bad. I'm pretty sure that Jagr would have demanded 8 million + a year (9+ ?), which no team in the NHL wanted to give him. It sure was a pleasure to watch him for a while.
Yea I'm pretty sure he wasn't demanding 8 mil a year...he just wanted a multi-year deal.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:38 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Yea I'm pretty sure he wasn't demanding 8 mil a year...he just wanted a multi-year deal.
I don't think Sather was even going to give him a one-year deal.

Another blunder. But Sather's been one of the best post-lockout GM's right?

I really think if we kept Jags and Nylander and added a few key pieces (NOT GOMEZ AND DRURY) we could of at least made it to the Eastern Finals. Even adding one of the "Terrible Two" (Drury if I had to pick) and a marquee defenseman (NOT REDDEN) and we could have made serious noise. Thanks Uncle Glen.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Jaromir Jagr my favorite all time player even if he had never come to NY. Man he was impressive.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 04:57 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
If I remember correctly, I want to say he wanted 7 at either 2 or 3. Would have definitely signed up for 2/14, would have been skeptical at 3/21. That move pissed me off but than going and spending the money on Wade Redden pissed me off even more. Hindsight is 20/20 but I and 95 percent of this board knew these combination of moves were bad right when they happened. I remember the Redden signing thread, it was basically people freaking out.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:

not to mention we got Naslund to replace Jagr!

Old
04-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
If I remember correctly, I want to say he wanted 7 at either 2 or 3. Would have definitely signed up for 2/14, would have been skeptical at 3/21. That move pissed me off but than going and spending the money on Wade Redden pissed me off even more. Hindsight is 20/20 but I and 95 percent of this board knew these combination of moves were bad right when they happened. I remember the Redden signing thread, it was basically people freaking out.

in Russia he was getting 2-3 years, 7 mill tax free!

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 04-30-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old
04-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
The sad part was Jagr was better than all 3 of those guys combined. Its a shame Sather did what he did. The most competetive team we ever had and only lost to Buff because of the dominant Miller and the unlucky break. Should have had young guys build around those type of guys like Nylander, Straka, Jagr instead of Gomez and Drury. I hated the move than and i still hate it now, but hey that is Sather for you.

Straka was done, Nylander (as much as I bemoaned him leaving) was correctly not renewed.
the Drama was the Gomez and Redden especially given the talent that was available that year in Free agency on Blue Line.

Gomez is a decent player and he was the wrong man for Jagr. Jagr carries the puck. Gomez likes to cary the puck. the 2 couldn't work together, so luckily we had Dubinsky who sort of was able to
placate Jagr's domination of the first line.

But rather than filling a few blanks we started to retool completely.