HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updated-Drury won't retire. Will soak the Rangers for buyout $

Old
04-28-2011, 01:58 AM
SickNice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
But he also said he wanted to help the team win. And that means him not playing on it.

So logically this is where we're at: In order to satisfy both of those conditions, Drury must either 1) waive his NMC for another NHL team, 2) waive his NMC and play with his buddy Redden in Hartford or 3) nullify his contract and play in Europe or something.

Those options allow him to help the team win and let him keep playing a few more seasons.
way to be logical and contribute to the discussion

SickNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:29 AM
number71*

Ha ha ha. He won't retire. He actually has done quite a bit to deserve his contract.
And don't blame him....blame the GM who gave him that contract and/or traded for it!

number71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickNice View Post
He is NOT retiring. From Andrew Gross, not sure why the previous poster ignored the last sentance...

"Chris Drury said going into a contract year does not weigh on his mind and it never has. When asked about his diminishing role with the Rangers, he said he’s fine with it and willing to do anything to help the team win. He did say he wanted to play a few more seasons."

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/
He must have been high off his *** when he said that. The man is done as an NHL player period, whether he's getting paid 5 mil or 1 mil. Done.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
There's a rumor that has made the rounds that the Rangers would somehow stash Chris Drury and his $7.05-million cap hit in the minors next year. Not going to happen.

"That's an unfounded rumor," Drury's agent Mark Witkin told ESPN.com Saturday.

The fact is, they can't. He's got a no-movement clause. You can't do a thing to a player with a no-movement clause.

So, Drury holds all the cards. He did come back from a serious knee injury this year and that's something he's going to look at this summer, how he feels physically. But I don't sense he's going to do the Rangers any favors and retire. He's either on the team next year or the Rangers bite the bullet and buy him out. A buyout would count $3.7 million against the Rangers' cap next season and $1.6 million in 2012-13.

The Rangers, of course, are expected to be heavy bidders on UFA Brad Richards come July 1. In the meantime, they also have two key RFAs: Brandon Dubinsky and Ryan Callahan.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-drurys-future

Who made up that rumor?

So Drury is going to soak the Rangers for the buyout money and if he can't play because of his knee,then he can't play. He will pocket the $3,333,333. Integrity. Character. Jay Pandolfo(another BU guy)pulled the same stunt on the Devils.

Sather could find a deal for Drury. Rangers trade Drury for another headache such as Mike Commodore. The acquiring team buys Drury out and the Rangers keep Commodore's 2 years at $6.85M in remaining salary. Drury becomes a free agent on July 1. Drury is a cheaper and shorter buyout than Commodore for Columbus which placed Commodore TWICED on re-entry waivers in 10-11. Columbus has indicated they will buyout Commodore if they can't find a taker for him. Drury's buyout is $3,333,333 and two years of cap hits. Commdore's buyout is $4.5M and four years of cap hits.

Does it really matter if the Rangers or Columbus buyout Drury?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers are be better off keeping Drury and buying out Wolski. The same amount of the money is freed up for next season. $3.33M. It will only be a matter of time before Drury's knee explodes and he is finished. The Rangers put Drury on LTI forever and the contract expires.

Old
05-01-2011, 05:51 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers are be better off keeping Drury and buying out Wolski. The same amount of the money is freed up for next season. $3.33M. It will only be a matter of time before Drury's knee explodes and he is finished. The Rangers put Drury on LTI forever and the contract expires.
That's wishful thinking.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:02 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Wishful thinking? Drury is a 35 year old with a chronic knee. Those are John's words.

Old
05-01-2011, 06:06 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Wishful thinking? Drury is a 35 year old with a chronic knee. Those are John's words.
John's words. Why do you think John said those words? It's blatantly obvious Torts doesn't want Drury back. That's why. Hint hint..retire Chris.

To place all your chips on the possibility of Drury's knees exploding is wish casting, wishful thinking, premature, etc. You would think if there was a serious matter with his knees he'd retire, take a season or so off and comeback when he is 100% again. Mario is a name that comes to mind. He did this countless times b/c of his bad back.

Old
05-01-2011, 06:24 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Answer = Jeff Gillooly

Seriously, I believe Sather will find a way out of this. But do not ask me how right now...
That is - if he really wants Richards. Which he may or may not want as much as we think. I cringe to see a lineup next season with a new couple of Sather "project" stopgaps next year and with Drury still on it. Either injured and eating competitors pizza in the stands or sprawling around on the 4th line (winning some faceoffs!) and still costing the team 11,2% of the available capspace. With Redden costing another 6,5 million in Hartford, and say the Rangers are out of a playoff spot in midseason - is it not time time to point the cannons at Glenns head. I mean - who wants to see this process again next year - fighting for a playoff spot, not able to add pieces to the puzzle being capstrapped by idiotic previous moves and being hampered by many years of abyssmal drafting?
I mean - if anyone should then be under fire - it should be Sather.But it will not happen. We all know that.
I have instead another solution. Donald Trump ceases his pathetic GOP bid and instead buys out Dolan and acquires the Knicks & Rangers & MSG. He starts a reality show and within a month - BAM - Sather is in the boardroom...
"You´re fired Glen, pack up that moldy case of Cohibas you have hidden under your desk and get the hell outta here...".
Simple

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:21 AM
eco's bones

The Commodore idea isn't bad but Drury can block that with his NMC if he so wishes--and if I were to guess he would.

On the integrity front--it would be a classy move on his part if he were to retire. Maybe he doesn't think he is done. I don't know. Rangers should make their wishes explicit to him to retire. If he won't then buy him out. As a player he is not even close to worth paying the amount we would save and we'd be better to use the savings to bring in other players who are worth it or use the money to sign essential players such as our own RFA's--a number of whom will probably get substantial raises.

I will say this if he takes the money from a buyout which is his right--but then he is done with the organization--no post retirement opportunities. If he wants to go see the Rangers he buys a ticket like anyone else.

Wolski and Avery are other issues. Wolski perhaps is moveable. Avery a lot less so. I wouldn't send Sean to the minors--at least not to Hartford. You can save quite a bit of cash with Wolski--not very much with Avery. The other thing is they are both still very capable of playing in the NHL.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:31 AM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
The Commodore idea isn't bad but Drury can block that with his NMC if he so wishes--and if I were to guess he would.

On the integrity front--it would be a classy move on his part if he were to retire. Maybe he doesn't think he is done. I don't know. Rangers should make their wishes explicit to him to retire. If he won't then buy him out. As a player he is not even close to worth paying the amount we would save and we'd be better to use the savings to bring in other players who are worth it or use the money to sign essential players such as our own RFA's--a number of whom will probably get substantial raises.

I will say this if he takes the money from a buyout which is his right--but then he is done with the organization--no post retirement opportunities. If he wants to go see the Rangers he buys a ticket like anyone else.

Wolski and Avery are other issues. Wolski perhaps is moveable. Avery a lot less so. I wouldn't send Sean to the minors--at least not to Hartford. You can save quite a bit of cash with Wolski--not very much with Avery. The other thing is they are both still very capable of playing in the NHL.
Bolded is easily rectified. Just give him some game tapes from this year to watch. After watching a few periods of his lackluster play, even his wife would think he's done.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:51 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Bolded is easily rectified. Just give him some game tapes from this year to watch. After watching a few periods of his lackluster play, even his wife would think he's done.
It doesn't surprise me that he wouldn't want to retire. For what he's made out of this contract I don't really see that he has anything to gripe about. When you see a $7 mil + per year player dropping from the top 6 to the third line in 09-10 (on a non playoff team) and then almost into oblivion like he did this year I think it's safe to say that he's declining--something that some even here do not want to get but it's irrefutable in my eyes. The Rangers like any other NHL team to go forward have got to get rid of players who cannot pull their weight. Contract aside--Drury cannot pull his weight anymore--add the contract in and it's just a train wreck.

Old
05-01-2011, 08:12 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

If capt Quaalude returns the amount of abuse he will receive here and at MSG will be epic.

In many ways I want him back just to abuse him all season.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Hockeyplayer99

At least Torts hates him. First thing he should do is rip the C from his chest and tell him your not Captain material. Then he should work him so hard in pre-season that maybe hopefully Drury will fall apart. Either that or send Boogard to fight Drury and maybe knock some sense into him. Nah don't want to kill the guy, just rip the C from his jersey and work him really hard so that maybe his knees won't be able to take it an he can go on Long Term Injury for the season.

Hockeyplayer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:28 AM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer99 View Post
At least Torts hates him. First thing he should do is rip the C from his chest and tell him your not Captain material. Then he should work him so hard in pre-season that maybe hopefully Drury will fall apart. Either that or send Boogard to fight Drury and maybe knock some sense into him. Nah don't want to kill the guy, just rip the C from his jersey and work him really hard so that maybe his knees won't be able to take it an he can go on Long Term Injury for the season.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:33 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
I like it
But expect to be bashed soon when The Drury cult comes to life and sees this one... Oh Boy

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:36 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
First off I'm pretty sure that Torts doesn't hate him. It's not the same as wanting to upgrade your team by getting rid of his contract. And I don't see any positive in trying to humiliate or seriously injure a guy just because he doesn't see things the same as you do especially one who has been a credit to the league for a long time. There are right ways to do things and the Rangers much more often have shown themselves to be a classy organization in the way they do things. I have to say I'm disappointed in Chris because I think he is about as done as done can get and the Rangers have padded his bank account much beyond the value of the return they've gotten. It's not though that this is some kind of theft. They signed him and as there are two parties needed to make an agreement--he being one of them has some rights which should be respected. The Rangers have a clear avenue to take if he won't retire--to buy him out.

Old
05-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
John's words. Why do you think John said those words? It's blatantly obvious Torts doesn't want Drury back. That's why. Hint hint..retire Chris.

To place all your chips on the possibility of Drury's knees exploding is wish casting, wishful thinking, premature, etc. You would think if there was a serious matter with his knees he'd retire, take a season or so off and comeback when he is 100% again. Mario is a name that comes to mind. He did this countless times b/c of his bad back.
HP, i respect your opinion on these boards but to bring up marios comeback in comparison with anything drury has or will do is just insane.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:49 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
If he's only being traded with the intention that Columbus will buy him out, then I can't see any reason why Drury would block it. Either way he gets bought out and becomes a UFA.

I'm not in love with the Commodore idea though. He's basically the same cap hit this year as Drury would be on a buyout, but he's an extra body we don't want. Our 10% summer cap space is already maxed out from Redden, so sending Commodore down won't really help unless we make a deal during the season. We can't spend Commodore's cap hit during the summer with the expectation that we will send him down, because we'd be over the summer cap.

And then there's the problem of the extra year on his contract. Commodore's 2012-13 cap hit will be over 2 mil higher than Drury's buyout cap hit would be. Yeah, we could buyout Commodore next year, but I still don't see it as a great solution. I'd rather just buyout Drury.

The only reason to make the deal would be if we were to buyout Commodore this year, but I really don't want to carry his cap hit for 4 years.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:50 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
HP, i respect your opinion on these boards but to bring up marios comeback in comparison with anything drury has or will do is just insane.
What are you talking about? Only comparison I made was Mario retiring and then coming back again to play. I'm saying if Drury isn't 100% he should consider that. I'm not even sure what you're saying here...

Old
05-01-2011, 08:52 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

How is this a soaking? The Rangers offered Drury a contract and he signed it. The NHL has guaranteed contracts. You got a problem with Drury take it up with the Union.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:53 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
How is this a soaking? The Rangers offered Drury a contract and he signed it. The NHL has guaranteed contracts. You got a problem with Drury take it up with the Union.

Old
05-01-2011, 08:54 AM
NYR Viper

Yeah. Drury retiring was always a pipe-dream. I would have to think Sather has at least a couple of ideas as to how to get him off the team if need be.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:57 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

They can't allow Drury to prevent them from doing what needs to be done to improve the team this summer.

If you can't subtract his cap hit, then you need to find other ways.

Wolski, Avery, McCabe, Prospal, Boogaard, Christensen. NONE of these guys can be on the roster. Every bit of cap space is vital to get our RFAs extended and bringing Richards on board.

This is why i keep saying there will be a handful of rookies on the roster throughout the season. Including the Rangers doing everything they can to convince Kreider to sign. Because they're going to need to plug holes with cheap viable options. Which will need to come from within.

We are looking at at least one rookie defenseman and probably at least two rookie forwards.

Kreider, McIlrath, Grachev.

Torts wants size, grit, and skill. There it is.

Get Dubi, Cally, Arty, Sauer, and Boyle locked in.

Get Richards on board.

But those other guys have to go. If they bring Fedotenko back at the minimum price that helps. And see what Eminger and Gilroy are willing to come back for. Neither should command a lot, and we're looking for them to be comfortable with being scratched half the season.

Its going to be an interesting summer.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 05-01-2011 at 09:12 AM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:59 AM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
What are you talking about? Only comparison I made was Mario retiring and then coming back again to play. I'm saying if Drury isn't 100% he should consider that. I'm not even sure what you're saying here...
The difference is astronomical.

Mario knew he was wanted, even if he were to take the year off.

Drury doesn't know if he'll even be employed at the end of his contract, so unless he wants to retire for good, it really isn't and option.