HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updated-Drury won't retire. Will soak the Rangers for buyout $

Old
05-01-2011, 09:54 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
The difference is astronomical.

Mario knew he was wanted, even if he were to take the year off.

Drury doesn't know if he'll even be employed at the end of his contract, so unless he wants to retire for good, it really isn't and option.
There is nothing astronomical to that.

It is an option. There are plenty of teams that would take Drury back with a more reasonable contract. Even if it means playing 4th line duties and PK. If the price is right, I see many teams giving him a contract.

Secondly, if Drury's knees are really shot to the extent some of you believe-- he would do something about it and recover. So let's seriously stop reaching. Let's stop the wishful thinking that he is somehow going to end up in LTIR.

Last edited by hpNYR: 05-01-2011 at 10:07 AM.
hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:56 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
If drury is traded to cbus and bought out the rangers could resign him technically right?

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
The scary thing is we could be having a similar thread years from now if Sather signs Richards to a long-term deal and he also falls off badly at the end. No one can predict exactly when a player's age is going to break him down, but it's something to think about when handing out these long-term, big money contracts.
this is why i only want Richards if he gets a 3 year deal but any more years than that no thanks.

dont want another situation like with Gomez.

i have a feeling Richards will get a 7 year deal like Gomez did just say NO NO NO

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah. Drury retiring was always a pipe-dream. I would have to think Sather has at least a couple of ideas as to how to get him off the team if need be.
If Drury was unable to comeback at the end of the season and never played a playoff game and maybe we won a round or two this may not have been such a pipe dream. Problem is he came back, scored a huge goal and thinks he will be able to contribute in a 4th line and PK role next season and collect his money. Sather and Torts have 2 key wants a 1st line center and a puck moving d-man, they are out there and we can afford them both if Sather buys out Drury and either buys out Wolski, or plans on importing a bunch of cheap kids like Valetenko and Hagelin while not bringing back guys like Prospal, Eminger, Gilroy and keeps guys like MDZ and Zuccarello in Hartford.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
lol @ some people taking a shot at Drury's class just because he won't retire.

You can be the classiest person in the world, you aren't giving away 7 Mill

Fire Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:14 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post

Not to mention the guy loves hockey. If there was something I loved as much as Dru loves hockey, and I thought I could still do it in some capacity, I wouldn't retire either.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Yeah. Drury retiring was always a pipe-dream. I would have to think Sather has at least a couple of ideas as to how to get him off the team if need be.
Chris Drury to Columbus for Mike Commodore.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
this is why i only want Richards if he gets a 3 year deal but any more years than that no thanks.

dont want another situation like with Gomez.

i have a feeling Richards will get a 7 year deal like Gomez did just say NO NO NO
Sather seems to be learning from his mistakes

5 year deal for Richards, front loaded
1st year 10 million
2nd year 8 million
3rd year 6 million
4th year 5.5 million
5th year 5.5 million

He has a no trade clause, but not a no movement, that way should he stink after 2 years he can be waived and demoted to Hartford or bought out. Also if he has a cap hit of 7 million dollars and actually only makes 6, then 5.5 and then 5.5 million there could be a taker as he isn't breaking any banks like he does in the first 2 season of that contract. He still makes more than half of the first year of salary in the final year, this contract should be approved.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:18 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What would we do with Commodore? His $3.75 cap hit for the next 2 years would be greater than Drury's cap hit for either year. Buying him out would give us a 4-year sting of $1.1M to $1.5M depending on the year. Could we really bury him in the minors with Redden? A record shattering $10M+ between an AHL defense pairing.

From what I've heard, he can't even crack the lineup on Columbus. I doubt he'd be useful in our Top 7. I'm just not sure if trading for Commodore is really going to make the problem completely go away.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:18 AM
bmw2004

The best option is if he would waive his NTC to go play in Hartford and earn his fat paycheck in the minors. I guess it's not an option for Drury.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Back to Drury, the fact that he’s the captain here, does that figure into the decision based on the respect Tortorella and the players have for him?:

“Intangibles always come into evaluating. You just can’t let the intangibles override other things, too. Dru and I have a great relationship. We’ve been very honest with one another. Dru is getting older. That’s why he has this chronic knee, and it’s amazing that he was able to come back when he did. But we have to make decisions based on what’s best for the organization moving on, and I’m not saying—don’t get me wrong—but we have to be careful with all this stuff here. And it’s certainly not my total decision, but I have my thoughts, so these are all conversations we have to have.”
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2011/0...rella-part-ii/

Old
05-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
If drury is traded to cbus and bought out the rangers could resign him technically right?
This is what I was thinking. Even though he'll be bought out, theres still the possibility that he wouldn't waive for Columbus. Maybe there would be an under the table agreement that we sign him for league minimum. He still gets to play, gets even more money and doesn't have to move.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Listen to yourselves guys... The Rangers organization can't use the old "demote to minors" failsafe for everything. Even if Drury lacked the NMC... Really? That's Over $13M between 2 players being dumped in the minors. Now we're talking about Richards being dumped in the future if he starts playing badly?

I really hope the Rangers organization is learning more than you guys. Not everything can be solved by throwing it in Hartford and never looking back.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:21 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
The best option is if he would waive his NTC to go play in Hartford and earn his fat paycheck in the minors. I guess it's not an option for Drury.
It's a NMC that he has. Redden I understand. But a guy like Drury is far too proud and has far to much pride to allow anything like that to come to fruition.

A Drury making around 2 mill can still help someone. Maybe not the Rangers, but there would be takers for that price tag. A Drury making just over 7 mill helps no one.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
I can't imagine why Chris would accept this trade? He could just force us to buy him out by not waving his no trade and sign with Boston or wherever he wants, if he accepts a trade to columbus (somewhere I doubt he wants to play) and they for some reason want to keep him he is stuck there until the deadline. I just can't see him accepting this trade, I know we stash Commodore in the minors and save a lot of cap space, but to have both Commodore and Redden in Hartford seems unrealistic to me.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:23 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
What would we do with Commodore? His $3.75 cap hit for the next 2 years would be greater than Drury's cap hit for either year. Buying him out would give us a 4-year sting of $1.1M to $1.5M depending on the year. Could we really bury him in the minors with Redden? A record shattering $10M+ between an AHL defense pairing.

From what I've heard, he can't even crack the lineup on Columbus. I doubt he'd be useful in our Top 7. I'm just not sure if trading for Commodore is really going to make the problem completely go away.
Put Commodore in the AHL or he can play in Europe. Frees up $3.3M in summer cap space and $7.05M in space when Commodore comes off the cap when training camp ends.

Columbus buys out Drury for $1.2M less than it costs for a Commodore buyout and they take 2 cap hits instead of 4 cap hits.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
I can't imagine why Chris would accept this trade? He could just force us to buy him out by not waving his no trade and sign with Boston or wherever he wants, if he accepts a trade to columbus (somewhere I doubt he wants to play) and they for some reason want to keep him he is stuck there until the deadline. I just can't see him accepting this trade, I know we stash Commodore in the minors and save a lot of cap space, but to have both Commodore and Redden in Hartford seems unrealistic to me.
Check post #205

A Drury buyout is cheaper($1.2M less)and shorter(2 years instead of 4 years of cap hits)than a Commodore buyout. Columbus placed Commodore on re-entry waivers TWICE last season. They are reportedly going to buy him out if they can find a taker. Commodore for another headache or $4.5 to buyout Commodore.

Columbus agrees to buyout Drury in order for him to waive his NMC. He becomes a free agent on July 1.

These types of trades are made right before July 1. Columbus won't change their mind.

Why is it unrealistic to have both Commodore and Redden in the AHL?One of them could agree to play in Europe.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Janerixon

Quote:
Check post #205

A Drury buyout is cheaper($1.2M less)and shorter(2 years instead of 4 years of cap hits)than a Commodore buyout. Columbus placed Commodore on re-entry waivers TWICE last season. They are reportedly going to buy him out if they can find a taker. Commodore for another headache or $4.5 to buyout Commodore.

Columbus agrees to buyout Drury in order for him to waive his NMC. He becomes a free agent on July 1.

These types of trades are made right before July 1. Columbus won't change their mind.

Why is it unrealistic to have both Commodore and Redden in the AHL?One of them could agree to play in Europe.
If one of them agrees to play in Europe I can see it happening, but to have both Commodore and Redden on our summer cap for the next 2 seasons sounds like it could be an issue, plus we know that having a player in the minors who doesn't want to be there can be an issue (see rissmiller). I just think Sather spares Drury from having involvement and just busy him out himself, just MO. Could be wrong, we will see.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Check post #205

This is the only way I'd be OK with the whole Commodore scenario happening. $10M between 2 defenseman in the AHL is frightening just to think about. That's going to be a slap in the face every summer. The cap only goes up by 10%. That's already eliminated by Redden's summer hit. Imagine Commodore's on top of that. How would we get anything done over each summer? Redden's signed for 3 more years, and Commodore's signed for 2. It's just going to be too hard to fit everything under the cap for the remainder of their contracts.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:46 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post

Thank you.

Why is it Drury's job to get Sather off the hook for the bad contract he gave out?

05-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I doubt anyone seriously expected Drury to just retire.

If he thinks he can still play, and said he was fine with the Torts role, then why not get paid 5 mil to do it instead of 2 by some other club?

05-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
First off I'm pretty sure that Torts doesn't hate him. It's not the same as wanting to upgrade your team by getting rid of his contract. And I don't see any positive in trying to humiliate or seriously injure a guy just because he doesn't see things the same as you do especially one who has been a credit to the league for a long time. There are right ways to do things and the Rangers much more often have shown themselves to be a classy organization in the way they do things. I have to say I'm disappointed in Chris because I think he is about as done as done can get and the Rangers have padded his bank account much beyond the value of the return they've gotten. It's not though that this is some kind of theft. They signed him and as there are two parties needed to make an agreement--he being one of them has some rights which should be respected. The Rangers have a clear avenue to take if he won't retire--to buy him out.
Brian Leetch says "Hi"

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Thank you.

Why is it Drury's job to get Sather off the hook for the bad contract he gave out?
I agree with this. I would be ECSTATIC if Drury retired, but it's totally not what I expect to happen, and it's not what I expect of him.

Guaranteed contracts in the NHL are a beautiful thing. It's what players deserve. And it's Drury's right as a member of the union to fully exercise his right to get the money he was promised.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:55 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I agree with this. I would be ECSTATIC if Drury retired, but it's totally not what I expect to happen, and it's not what I expect of him.

Guaranteed contracts in the NHL are a beautiful thing. It's what players deserve. And it's Drury's right as a member of the union to fully exercise his right to get the money he was promised.
I'm a huge Drury fan. But if he decided to retire, I'd be happy — for him and for the team.

But it's not his job to right Sather's wrong.

Let's also remember that when people crave cap space, that cap space would he given to the guy who's moves have the team in bad shape with the cap (and that's even after getting rid of Gomez and Redden's contract).

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm a huge Drury fan. But if he decided to retire, I'd be happy — for him and for the team.

But it's not his job to right Sather's wrong.

Let's also remember that when people crave cap space, that cap space would he given to the guy who's moves have the team in bad shape with the cap (and that's even after getting rid of Gomez and Redden's contract).
That's true but cap space is what it is.

It doesn't help your team to have it until you go and spend it on a player who actually helps your team.

Hoping that "Sather will get it right this time" is really all we have until it's not Sather spending the cash anymore.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote