HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Updated-Drury won't retire. Will soak the Rangers for buyout $

Old
05-01-2011, 11:02 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Wow, that sounds an AAAAAAAWFUL lot like Torts' preference would be to buy him out.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I'm a huge Drury fan. But if he decided to retire, I'd be happy for him and for the team.

But it's not his job to right Sather's wrong.

Let's also remember that when people crave cap space, that cap space would he given to the guy who's moves have the team in bad shape with the cap (and that's even after getting rid of Gomez and Redden's contract).
Exactly. If Drury still thinks he can play in this league, whether it be as a 4th line C or whatever, he's under no obligation to do any favors for Sather or the Rangers and retire. He's lucky that Sather was stupid enough to give him an NMC, because Wade Redden wasn't even afforded the option to play in this league again. Sather has no one to blame but himself if he has to buyout Drury.

How many free agent signings don't last through the duration of their contract? It's getting embarrassing already. Get it right the first time, Slats.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:39 AM
mcsauer2738

IMO the best way to send the message that he's not wanted would be to rip the "C" off his chest and give it to cally after he signs his deal with a statement that, our team is taking a new approach and developing a new look.

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:42 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I guess it was wishful thinking for Drury to retire.

Oh well. Buyouts ahoy.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:44 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
IMO the best way to send the message that he's not wanted would be to rip the "C" off his chest and give it to cally after he signs his deal with a statement that, our team is taking a new approach and developing a new look.
this is exactly what i would do. make it extremely uncomfortable for drury.

if he's not gonna earn his 7 mil on the ice, at least make him writhe a little bit.

i don't blame the guy for signing the deal and he'd be a puts to walk away from 7 mil, but he's an albatross and if i were running the show, i would do everything in my power to make him feel like one.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:11 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Brian Leetch says "Hi"
Leetch may have been my favorite Ranger ever--but he was also declining at that point in his career and on a team that had missed the playoffs for several seasons--in any case that trade was the beginning of a movement away from a country club mentality of buying your way to the cup back into one where the team started towards prospect player development which has been more successful than those 7 straight years where we eclipsed every other team in money spent on players who couldn't get us into the playoffs. Maybe it wasn't the classiest thing--but my previous remark phrased it 'much more often' that the Rangers choose a classy way to do things--it didn't say every time.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Drury's owed 5M. His cap hit, is 7M.

I think some team around the league would sign him in the 2.5~ range. He wouldn't be walking away from 7M.

This is bit of an awkward situation considering Drury's a Rangers fan. He's witnessed the crap we've all seen for decades.. Veteran's with massive contracts who barely contributed.

Pride wouldn't be staying here, and getting bought-out. Pride would be waiving your NMC. Or simply walking away, voiding his contract here, and become an UFA. That's pride.

Gomez was moved. Not because of his play -- it was due to his contract. He was moved to a team that most players would want to play for. I'm sure Drury had no problem with this.

I don't think Drury had a problem when Naslund retired. He probably respected Naslund for having the balls to do so.

Let's not forget Redden. He was brutal, no longer needed, and sent to Hartford.

Chris knows what's next here. He'll either be a big boy about it, or he'll leave the organization on a sour note which probably isn't worth the 2.5M~ in his bank account.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

for everyone saying how Drury just wants to play hockey, and you wouldn't walk away from 7m either.

fine, waive his NMC to be sent to Connecticut, where he can play hockey, be a value to his team, and still collect his insane 7m.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I guess it was wishful thinking for Drury to retire.

Oh well. Buyouts ahoy.
agreed. See ya Dru. Sign with the Isles for 1 million and stay in NY. Thats my call

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:23 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
this is exactly what i would do. make it extremely uncomfortable for drury.

if he's not gonna earn his 7 mil on the ice, at least make him writhe a little bit.
Don't think such behavior wouldn't be noted by other UFAs, including Brad Richards, if he's to your taste. Any older player looking to sign a long-term contract with the Blueshirts would be forced to think: "Is that how they're going to re-pay ME at the end of my contract?"

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
for everyone saying how Drury just wants to play hockey, and you wouldn't walk away from 7m either.

fine, waive his NMC to be sent to Connecticut, where he can play hockey, be a value to his team, and still collect his insane 7m.
It's 5, not 7...

He could sign somewhere in this league for a couple of Mil.. He wouldn't be walking away from that much $$$....

I don't think Hartford's possible either, for various reason's.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:26 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
it's not his job to right Sather's wrong.
Bless your heart, sir.

I, for one, am weary of the ongoing modus operandi that if the team has problems, it should throw money at them.

How much will it be throwing at Richards this summer?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:29 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Don't think such behavior wouldn't be noted by other UFAs, including Brad Richards, if he's to your taste. Any older player looking to sign a long-term contract with the Blueshirts would be forced to think: "Is that how they're going to re-pay ME at the end of my contract?"
remember that time we buried wade redden in the minors?

i think your post is dumb.

you gotta earn your keep in this league. and if you're not playing well enough to earn it, you'll be happy to get paid to not earn it.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
you gotta earn your keep in this league. and if you're not playing well enough to earn it, you'll be happy to get paid to not earn it.
This isn't the NFL. NHL contracts are guaranteed.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:38 PM
The Perfect Paradox
On hiatus.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Good, I hope it is noted by every player in the league. If a UFA isn't going to sign with us because they're scared that their play will decline so much that they will have to be brought out/sent to the minors, then I don't want them anywhere near this team.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:43 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
This isn't the NFL. NHL contracts are guaranteed.
ready my post again.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Good, I hope it is noted by every player in the league. If a UFA isn't going to sign with us because they're scared that their play will decline so much that they will have to be brought out/sent to the minors, then I don't want them anywhere near this team.
Good:

Sather trading Cullen back to Carolina after his short stint here.
Sather trading Gomez to a competitive, big city team in Montreal.

Bad:

Sather demoting a capable NHL hockey player to Hartford (Redden).
Sather trading Kotalik to a team he had on his NMC a few months after signing him.

If things get ugly this offseason with Drury, it certainly won't 'help' us when it comes down to free-agents. Having a tainted reputation amongst players in the league is that last thing we want to do as an organization. Teams go out of their way to attract players.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:50 PM
rangers1024

Quote:
Agreed, you don't accomplish anything by treating a player like that. Especially one that has done nothing 'wrong' to the organization other than underperform based on the contract, which was offered by this team in the first place.

Drury will be bought out, we'll take the hit for the mistake for 2 years, not a big deal.

rangers1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:54 PM
rangers1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Yeah because that is how the players are going to look at this situation. Big market team doesn't get its way so they strip the 'C' from Drury to prove a point?
That's not going to have people thinking about the last 1-2 years of their deal, it's going to have players thinking negatively about the management in general, and not wanting to play here period.

rangers1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Leetch may have been my favorite Ranger ever--but he was also declining at that point in his career and on a team that had missed the playoffs for several seasons--in any case that trade was the beginning of a movement away from a country club mentality of buying your way to the cup back into one where the team started towards prospect player development which has been more successful than those 7 straight years where we eclipsed every other team in money spent on players who couldn't get us into the playoffs. Maybe it wasn't the classiest thing--but my previous remark phrased it 'much more often' that the Rangers choose a classy way to do things--it didn't say every time.
Yeah... I remember. It wasn't "that" he was traded that wasn't classy... it's "how" it happened and "How" he found out.

Stuff like that stand out in my mind when I hear "classy organization" and my head starts hurting.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Rangers' Balls

Dru can definitely get a job in hockey after he retires. The guy has made a ton of money already and is guaranteed an income (from some other part of the game) for as long as he wants one. So in this case, it would be a classy move to retire, however if he truly thinks he can still play and really wants to I wouldn't fault him for coming back. I'm not sure he should do it with the way his health is at now though.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Let's face it, Drury's tenure as a NYR has been a disappointment. if they don't buy him out maybe Sather can convince him into a trade, and the only team I think he would accept a trade to would be LA because he summers out there. Problem is LA's cap situation which I believe isn't good. Also, why would LA take a washed up Drury for 7 million on the cap.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
lol @ some people taking a shot at Drury's class just because he won't retire.

You can be the classiest person in the world, you aren't giving away 7 Mill
Situations aren't exactly the same but Naslund essentially gave away $4M when he retired from us. And I think Drury would be walking away from 5, not 7.

Let's not act like it's a joke that some people expect the team captain to maybe have the interests of the team in his thoughts, rather than just his own.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:32 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Trade Drury to the Islanders along with a pick or something to sweeten the pot; they're going to struggle to even hit the cap floor next year. Drury won't have to even pack a bag. I know the precedent for our teams to trade is... slim, but... it works in theory quite well.

The Islanders love to pick up our leftover players when we don't sign them... maybe we could sweeten them taking Drury off our hands by giving them Wolski and Gilroy's rights!

In all honesty though, while I don't see a deal with the Islanders as being even remotely likely, it seems to me that it IS the most ideal and simple solution. The Isles literally have around 25M in cap space going into the off-season and Drury probably could even get 3rd line minutes there. It's a 7M cap hit, but only 5M in salary and only for one year. I'm sure we could find some incentive for them to take him and Drury's got to be willing to waive his NTC for them since it doesn't disrupt his life at all.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Yeah, like this team has bent over backwards for Drury right? They pay him, he plays hockey, thats what happens when you sign a free agent.

Sather deserves every bit of this for yet again trying to correct HIS mistake, I wish it were 10 million more !

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote