HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Kirk Muller be signed by another team?

Old
05-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Rushin Joo

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
So who's our assistant? Or does Pearn take Muller's spot?

Rushin Joo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
He was great here, the players loved him. I wonder now who's gonna replace him and if he's gonna be as effective as he was at communicating with the players.

I hope he succeeds in his coach position with the Stars, tho I'm surprised he didn't go with the Devils or the Sens.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:45 PM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Not that I don't want to agree with these sources, but the Dallas Beat writer already said they haven't even begun to look for a coach yet, and that was posted in the main board thread

Regardless i'll be sad to see him go

subbanged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Good luck Captain Kirk

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:49 PM
pine
irregistered user

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Confirmed: RDS
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/319019.html

Just waiting on Tom Gaglardi to become the new owner, before they make the official announcement.

Good luck in Dallas, Kirk!
Is it really confirmed? RDS is only quoting The Gazette. I don't see any other source.

While potential candidates Texas Stars coach Glen Gulutzan or Montreal assistant coach Kirk Muller could be available soon for interviews because their teams recently finished their seasons, Nieuwendyk said he was not in a hurry.
"We'll take our time, we'll be well organized and we'll move forward slowly," he said. "There's no reason to rush this."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/04...#ixzz1L80r0r8i

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:55 PM
76ftw

Good luck in Dallas though!!!

76ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Gainey#1*

We lose another asset because of Jacques Martin...sigh

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Everybody wants our players and coaches but we suck

We 'suck' because we (sometimes) keep the wrong players and coaches and let somse of the better ones get away.

Poor management of personnel assets?

The 2011 - 2012 season will reveal the real brains behind the Habs coaching staff and their unexpected success in the 2010 playoffs!

GO HABS GO!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Patrice Brisebois

Bah, I guess we all saw it coming. He deserves it. Good luck, Kirk.

Patrice Brisebois for assistant!

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFpineapple View Post
Is it really confirmed? RDS is only quoting The Gazette. I don't see any other source.

While potential candidates Texas Stars coach Glen Gulutzan or Montreal assistant coach Kirk Muller could be available soon for interviews because their teams recently finished their seasons, Nieuwendyk said he was not in a hurry.
"We'll take our time, we'll be well organized and we'll move forward slowly," he said. "There's no reason to rush this."

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2011/04...#ixzz1L80r0r8i
We'll see where this goes. I'm in the group that is pretty convinced he's on his way to Dallas. Conflicting reports like this happen all the time, so we'll give it a chance.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Patrice Brisebois

Also: I was at M:Brgr on Friday night and the team was having some sort of end-of-season dinner there. Muller left early and I saw him exchange what looked to be a good-bye hug with Gorges.

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm far less annoyed by this than by Boucher, both because Martin did a much better job this time around (or else he needed a year to get the team up to speed), and because I'm not convinced at all Muller will be an exceptional head coach.
I agree. But he was great at the assistant job. Sucks a bit to need to replace him but it not like there was anything that realistically could have been done to prevent it. At least this an Boucher shows that the organisation has a decent eye for coaching talent.

Talks to Goalposts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Bill McNeal

If his name was Richard Thompson, nobody would really care.

This is not to take anything away from his work here, but most of us hockey fans have little insight into the actual work put into the team by a head coach, let alone his assistants. Most of the praise Kirk Muller receives is because he's Kirk Muller. Former Hab, bled the team colours and all-around likeable guy. We're comfortable with him because we know him.

Same phenomenon with Carbo. He was an assistant coach, we had no idea what his responsibilities entailed but a large portion of us (myself included) were dying to have him as a head coach. I mean, it's Guy Carbonneau! And we all saw how that worked out.

That doesn't mean Muller won't be a great coach in Dallas if he ends up there. Just that there really is no reason for any fan to choose him over Jacques Martin right now other than the blind hatred Martin receives from this fan base.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 03:21 PM
habsjunkie2*

Yawn, he was our assistant coach for crying out loud. He doesn't play. People who made the same end of the world claims last year because Boucher is leaving are probably the same people upset about this.

Congrats Kirk and good luck elsewhere!!!

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Madevilz

This is a bigger loss than most think.
Kirk is the one who kept all those guys united.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Craig71

Because every team in the NHL covets coaches in Montreals system, I believe that Scott Gomez should be our new assistant coach.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
Really? He should be leading a country then. If he can convince Matthieu Darche, Ryan White, Tom Pyatt and Lars Eller that they should work harder than a guy who produces less than they do but makes more than 10 times what they make. He should get a Nobel Prize.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:15 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Because every team in the NHL covets coaches in Montreals system, I believe that Scott Gomez should be our new assistant coach.
Pouliot could be our skating coach

No really I'm serious

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:47 AM
RushDP

Quote:
We have no idea what happens in the room and who is responsible for what. This is speculation just like McGuire saying that our run last season had Mullers print all over it. It's like as though a head coach would give his assistant carte blanche to do whatever he wanted while he idly stood by. Right.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:08 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
If his name was Richard Thompson, nobody would really care.

This is not to take anything away from his work here, but most of us hockey fans have little insight into the actual work put into the team by a head coach, let alone his assistants. Most of the praise Kirk Muller receives is because he's Kirk Muller. Former Hab, bled the team colours and all-around likeable guy. We're comfortable with him because we know him.

Same phenomenon with Carbo. He was an assistant coach, we had no idea what his responsibilities entailed but a large portion of us (myself included) were dying to have him as a head coach. I mean, it's Guy Carbonneau! And we all saw how that worked out.

That doesn't mean Muller won't be a great coach in Dallas if he ends up there. Just that there really is no reason for any fan to choose him over Jacques Martin right now other than the blind hatred Martin receives from this fan base.
The thing that concerns me is in the end of season press conference is when a reporter asks Gauthier about Muller, he doesn't say anything directly about him but mentions something along the lines of there being some issues along the way and the coaching staff did a good job of resolving it. Is there a link to the archived press conference? I rather I have the exact words before reading in between the lines.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Long Sky

coachs

hey
could be just me, but don't habs fans worry about losing Muller? Last year we lost Bucher, now in the division final! I think that Mtl should consider how many more years J.Martin has left as the coach in MTL. I think putting Muller in a coach could be better than letting him go. If he ready to be a head coach, than keep him as head coach. Martin could move to the front office. The defence looked lost vs Boston, so it could be time to bring Robinson back as defence coach. I think many fans would like this. comments

Long Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2011, 11:39 PM
shakenbake7

To reiterate something I said earlier, unless Martin is fired (highly unlikely), Kirk is gone. It's closer than anyone knows. Expect another former Habs great to be his lead assistant.

shakenbake7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 12:10 AM
le_sean

Anyone think Andy Murray is a possibility to take over Kirk? He's been with the organization before as a professional scout, understands the game and has been a successful Head Coach.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 02:47 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
And how do you know that? That's BS. Kirk Muller was a great player and may make a great coach. We'll see how that turns out. Personally, I'm glad we finally have an experienced head coach behind the Habs bench in Martin. I'm done with the years of inexperienced coaches. All those years fans were screaming for experience and now that we have it they believe the reason the team has success is because of the assistant coach. Give me a break. Martin is responsible for the system in place and obviously has a way with players to have them execute his gameplan well. Let someone else try out a new coach. Good luck to Kirk Muller. He was a great assistant.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2011, 03:46 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Has Kirk Muller been head coach at any level before?

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote