HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Realistic Goaltending Options

Old
05-01-2011, 01:04 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Realistic Goaltending Options

I'd like to see some discussion regarding some realistic, viable goaltending options for next year. Obviously, the Flyers probably won't get someone like Lundqvist (like that other thread is proposing.)

Who are some guys you could see coming here either via trade or free agency? Or are we stuck with Boosh and Bob next year?

05-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Prior to the playoffs, I would have said Bob and Boucher... after what we've witnessed from Lavi (and his apparent lack of confidence in 'em), I wouldn't be shocked to see 'em go after Vokoun.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think they will get someone else to replace Boucher. Bob is here at least for three more years, whether he is the starter or not I think depends on who the Flyers get in the offseason. I could see them going after Vokoun as well, but I think they are going to have to move some pieces around in order to get any goalie of real worth.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:45 PM
SgtJoseph

Its a tough decision in my opinion, there are no sure things when it comes to goalies....The Boston board was crucifying Thomas just 2 weeks ago and Luongo gets crucified as well?
Bob is the wild card in all of this simply because he is in his first year and has showed some tremendous abilities, and has shown some weakness in certain areas....After he gets a year under his belt and has some time to reflect on his first season and figures out a few things, he may blossom into a certified # 1 goalie.Confidence is everything when it comes to playing goal and making adjustments after learning from mistakes is key..Management gets paid big bucks to make these type decisions....We may win the cup this season with what he have.....You never know who will get hot.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:47 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Could we see Homer making a play at Backstrom or maybe even Josh Harding? I'd love to have Nicklas here, but Harding would just be another gamble.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Could we see Homer making a play at Backstrom or maybe even Josh Harding? I'd love to have Nicklas here, but Harding would just be another gamble.
we will not be acquiring a guy with a 6M cap hit.

Old
05-01-2011, 01:55 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I'd like to see us get a #1. Bob may be that guy in the future, but the window to win the cup won't be open forever. I'd love to get Vokoun in here.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I think the realistic guy would be Vokoun. Has always played on some ****** teams, where he pretty much carries the team. It all depends on the contract though. If we go after Vokoun, I would ship someone like Carle out. We wont need our "stud" defense with a legit goalie. Get Vokoun for a 2-3 year deal, and let Bob back him up. Vokoun at times has shown to fall apart around mid season. Thats where Bob can get around 20 or so games in which is perfect. In a year or 2, we will than see if Bob is ready to take the reign.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:16 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Its a tough decision in my opinion, there are no sure things when it comes to goalies....The Boston board was crucifying Thomas just 2 weeks ago and Luongo gets crucified as well?
Bob is the wild card in all of this simply because he is in his first year and has showed some tremendous abilities, and has shown some weakness in certain areas....After he gets a year under his belt and has some time to reflect on his first season and figures out a few things, he may blossom into a certified # 1 goalie.Confidence is everything when it comes to playing goal and making adjustments after learning from mistakes is key..Management gets paid big bucks to make these type decisions....We may win the cup this season with what he have.....You never know who will get hot.
Probs to you for getting 78 cliche-phrases in their without saying anything.

Now, to the topic.
Vokoun is the only one I think we could realistically get, because Bryzgalov is at a point in his career where he probably wants big money.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think the realistic guy would be Vokoun. Has always played on some ****** teams, where he pretty much carries the team. It all depends on the contract though. If we go after Vokoun, I would ship someone like Carle out. We wont need our "stud" defense with a legit goalie. Get Vokoun for a 2-3 year deal, and let Bob back him up. Vokoun at times has shown to fall apart around mid season. Thats where Bob can get around 20 or so games in which is perfect. In a year or 2, we will than see if Bob is ready to take the reign.
You could do that... or have a Vokoun/Boucher combo, with Bob getting 60+ games starting in the AHL. I think I would prefer Bob playing a lot of games as opposed to backing up someone like Vokoun.

Old
05-01-2011, 02:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
You could do that... or have a Vokoun/Boucher combo, with Bob getting 60+ games starting in the AHL. I think I would prefer Bob playing a lot of games as opposed to backing up someone like Vokoun.
I dont see them sending Bob down to the AHL after he played in 50+ NHL games. It would probably be better for him to play more games, but I personally dont see it.

Old
05-01-2011, 02:21 PM
dookie88

Quote:
At one point in their career nearly every starter has played a back-up role for a season or even more before getting the starter-job.
Altough you might be right in Bob's case, he hasn't really had a lot of seasoning in Russia.

Old
05-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
At one point in their career nearly every starter has played a back-up role for a season or even more before getting the starter-job.
Altough you might be right in Bob's case, he hasn't really had a lot of seasoning in Russia.
There's being a backup... and there's being a backup to a guy that may very well play 60+ games.

Old
05-01-2011, 02:47 PM
dookie88

Quote:
There's being a backup... and there's being a backup to a guy that may very well play 60+ games.
If we are talking about Vokoun here: He's played 57 games this season.

He's going to be 35 years of age on July the 2nd, so I think giving Bobrovsky 25 games are a little more wouldn't be out of the question.
But again, I wouldn't mind seeing him play 60+ games in the AHL just to get to those numbers per season which he has to play if he wants to be a legit #1.

Old
05-01-2011, 02:51 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I would love to get a petition together to send to Homer, "Just get us a goalie." I mean seriously, is there anyway to just get through to him?

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Jester

Quote:
If we are talking about Vokoun here: He's played 57 games this season.

He's going to be 35 years of age on July the 2nd, so I think giving Bobrovsky 25 games are a little more wouldn't be out of the question.
But again, I wouldn't mind seeing him play 60+ games in the AHL just to get to those numbers per season which he has to play if he wants to be a legit #1.
I don't find that Lavi does a very good job of distributing the work load. He tends to fall into ruts based on who is hot... and if Vokoun were to stay strong and steady, then the backup wouldn't see much action.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:18 PM
PhillyCurt12

curious to see what vokoun and bryz will be looking for salary-wise.

nabby is an option but comes with plenty of baggage.

what about giguere? he's younger than vokoun even though he sorta has an "old guy" stigma. he's obviously due for a pay cut, and philly has top notch med centers.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
curious to see what vokoun and bryz will be looking for salary-wise.

nabby is an option but comes with plenty of baggage.

what about giguere? he's younger than vokoun even though he sorta has an "old guy" stigma. he's obviously due for a pay cut, and philly has top notch med centers.
Nabokov will be under contract... to the Isles. It's also unclear to me how the rules will work with him as far as trading him and that jazz.

JSG hasn't had a starting level year in three years now... not really interested.

Bryz is going to get more (both in years and money) than the Flyers should really be looking at. Whereas Vokoun (35+) is probably going to be open to both a bit less years, and a bit less money to be with a potential winner at this stage. We'll see.

Frankly, I'll be shocked if Bryz doesn't end up in TB.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:23 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Yeah I like this idea. Would give us a little more cap flexibility too if Boucher is up instead of Bob. I can't believe we are agreeing on something...

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 03:27 PM
dookie88

Quote:
Nabokov will be under contract... to the Isles. It's also unclear to me how the rules will work with him as far as trading him and that jazz.

JSG hasn't had a starting level year in three years now... not really interested.

Bryz is going to get more (both in years and money) than the Flyers should really be looking at. Whereas Vokoun (35+) is probably going to be open to both a bit less years, and a bit less money to be with a potential winner at this stage. We'll see.

Frankly, I'll be shocked if Bryz doesn't end up in TB.
Agree 100%

Nabby also doesn't strike me as a guy I'd like to count on in the playoffs. He was good with San Jose, even had some marvelous performances in the playoffs for them but in the end he didn't get it done and his showing at the olympic games was very disappointing.

I like Vokoun for 2 years/$8mil

Old
05-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Snipsnap12

Cory Schneider? Jon Bernier?

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:00 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Vokoun for 4 mil would be awesome

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd rather Homer go find a 1B goalie that can go in tandum with Bob. Bob loves to work and when he doesn't play, he's a tad off his game a bit. Is there anyone that can go 1A and 1B with Bob?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecrush18 View Post
Cory Schneider? Jon Bernier?
Rather go for a proven NHL goalie than another unproven.

Old
05-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Agree 100%

Nabby also doesn't strike me as a guy I'd like to count on in the playoffs. He was good with San Jose, even had some marvelous performances in the playoffs for them but in the end he didn't get it done and his showing at the olympic games was very disappointing.

I like Vokoun for 2 years/$8mil
I'll be relatively surprised if Vokoun gets $4M... goalies have been getting the shaft, and their won't be that many bidders... and he's 35+.