HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais

Old
05-01-2011, 05:01 PM
NewEraGM

vCash: 500
David Desharnais

So I think DD is a solid player, I think this year he has shown that he can play in the NHL. That being said, I don't think it will be with Montreal. We already have Plekanec, Eller, and Gomez as centers, with LL 2-3 years away. I think DD is on the outside looking in.

I believe one of our needs is a top - 6 winger to take Kostitsyn's spot with Plek and Camm. I don't think DD on his own could get us a top 6, but what kind package including DD do you think it will take. AK does not have to be included as I realize he does not have that much value as oppose to what some people may think.

***Kostitsyn is as good as gone next year. I think management has had enough, especially JM. He is a good player, he could very well put up big numbers somewhere else but its just not working here. He will never live up to his potential in MTL, there is just too much pressure. This trade will get someone to take AK's spot.

NewEraGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Mike8

Desharnais isn't an asset that can be moved for a top-6 forward. Further, depth at center is paramount, particularly when the team has no elite centers.

Keep Desharnais and see how he develops. There's no saying he can't be effective at the wing either, even if, on paper, it wouldn't seem to make sense.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:09 PM
LyricalLyricist

I'd rather trade Gomez(if possible) and go:

Plekanec
Eller/DD
DD/Eller

Even if they aren't in their prime.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:13 PM
NewEraGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Desharnais isn't an asset that can be moved for a top-6 forward. Further, depth at center is paramount, particularly when the team has no elite centers.

Keep Desharnais and see how he develops. There's no saying he can't be effective at the wing either, even if, on paper, it wouldn't seem to make sense.
If you would have read what I wrote, you would see that I aggree with you on the fact that DD is not enough for a top 6 forward. He was tried on the wing, and so far it does not look like it will work.

Old
05-01-2011, 05:14 PM
NewEraGM

I think the key to our whole center issue is trading /getting rid of Gomez....it would makes things sooo much better!!

Old
05-01-2011, 05:15 PM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEraGM View Post
If you would have read what I wrote, you would see that I aggree with you on the fact that DD is not enough for a top 6 forward. He was tried on the wing, and so far it does not look like it will work.
Last time I saw him on the wing was with Gomez and Gionta in OT and he was by far better than those two.

Has he really been used on the wing a lot? I don't remember.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:17 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Move him to wing and have him play in the top6 until Gomez is gone (honestly there is no way he finishes his contract here...). About Louis Leblanc ; he's not in the NHL yet. He might end up being a winger too.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Ginu

Try him on the left wing with Eller and Kostitsyn, and get a top 6 right winger for Pleky. He did well there with Gomez and Gionta for the few shifts he was there. You can't have enough guys on your roster who can play centre.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:23 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'd rather trade Gomez(if possible) and go:

Plekanec
Eller/DD
DD/Eller

Even if they aren't in their prime.
That's a recipe for a nightmare season in Montreal. Throwing Eller and DD into the fire is not giving them any favors. Eller isn't ready for second-line comps, and DD even less.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:25 PM
MathMan

I'd build DD up, let him dominate against soft comps, let him rack up points on the PP. Then, if I find a sucker GM who sees that DD has 60 points and thinks that must mean he is a top-6 role, that's when I trade him. If not, I keep him. He's an extremely useful player, especially at his cap hit.

Old
05-01-2011, 05:26 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
That's a recipe for a nightmare season in Montreal. Throwing Eller and DD into the fire is not giving them any favors. Eller isn't ready for second-line comps, and DD even less.
I'd rather that than Gomez tbh. While I agree with you that they aren't ready, it's just expressing how much I'd rather lose Gomez's salary. When that's gone, you just find a stop gap center or go hard after another 1st line center to get to load off plek.

Old
05-01-2011, 05:26 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
There's no saying he can't be effective at the wing either, even if, on paper, it wouldn't seem to make sense.
Martin briefly experimented with him as Gomez's LW, and he looked good. The kid just oozes hockey sense.

Unfortunately, that lasted a game and change, then DD got hurt. Might get retried next season.

Old
05-01-2011, 05:28 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I'd rather that than Gomez tbh.
Montreal's window pretty much begins next year (it would've been this year without all those injuries). They're not going to blow a year of it just to get rid of Gomez's salary. They expect, quite rightly, to have a very strong team next year.

In a year, if Eller becomes a heavy lifter, you might see Gomez traded -- and then (to get back on topic ) DD would become the third-line center.

Old
05-01-2011, 05:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Montreal's window pretty much begins next year (it would've been this year without all those injuries). They're not going to blow a year of it just to get rid of Gomez's salary. They expect, quite rightly, to have a very strong team next year.

In a year, if Eller becomes a heavy lifter, you might see Gomez traded -- and then (to get back on topic ) DD would become the third-line center.
I understand what you mean perfectly. I don't expect Gomez to be traded without a backup plan. Without one, they'd rather just keep him.

Old
05-01-2011, 05:40 PM
old scotia

I don't have any confidence that Gauthier could deal DD and get something good in return. Bring in Patty Roy to run the ship. Gainey/Gauthier years will soon be behind us.

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Bieber fever

Play him on the left wing with Eller and wait until Gomez is gone (2 years imo). Than make him our 3rd center.

or

wait until he gets some points and trade him for another quebecer like Demers

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:43 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Gomez wasn't last year either... He was quite possibly one of the worst second line centers in the league. (definitely in the top3 worst 2nd line centers... Tyler Bozak and the Phoenix guys (who are basically a bunch of 3rd liners/prospects) were slighly worst. Most second line centers scored twice as many goals as Gomez and had just as many assists, or more...

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 05-01-2011 at 05:51 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
habspinner

People expecting big wholesale moves are going to be disappointed. Both Gauthier and Martin have gone on record stating their content with Desharnais. He's highly unlikely to be traded.

I also don't expect them to trade Akost, rather I expect them to give him 3 line responsibilities, and sign someone to play with Cammy and Pleks. He played decently with Eller and Moen, I can see something like this or Eller/Darche/Akost. They could easily play Desharnais/White/Moen after this.

But they need some cheaper salaries and the young guys who showed they can play should be a big part of that.

Expect a very similar team next year, this team doesn't need a makeover, they need another top 6 with size to compliment Pacioretty. You don't need a top 6 full of size, just a top 6 that is defensively responsible, good speed, and plays hard. I understand Gomez is a square peg going into a round hole, but with Patches and Gionta, he actually played pretty well - I expect him to come back and give us 60pts next year.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:44 PM
old scotia

DD could be like Briere. Took some time to develop.

Old
05-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon

I would keep gomez this season and try to unload him the next year and push hard for Patrick Sharp. I don't think he will stay in Chicago because they won't have the space to keep him. Would rather have Sharp at a smaller contract next year than Richards at a larger contract this year.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:49 PM
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
I don't have any confidence that Gauthier could deal DD and get something good in return. Bring in Patty Roy to run the ship. Gainey/Gauthier years will soon be behind us.
Are you his son or something ?

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:13 PM
NLHabsFan

I'd like to see Desharnais converted to LW. I think he has the smarts to adapt quickly and succeed. It will also relieve some defensive pressure off of him and give him a little more freedom offensively.

NLHabsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:23 PM
old scotia

Nope. I'm not his son. MARK MY WORDS. sorry for that. Patrick Roy will run an NHL team. Don't you remember he turned down Colorado a couple years ago. I hope it's with the habs so you and me and all the faithful will celebrate another Stanley Cup victory. The guys a winner!

Old
05-01-2011, 06:24 PM
googlymoogly

DDH has skill so what if he's small, move him to wing. He looked like he was charging up the Gomez line until Scotty gave him a suicide pass. The thing was DDH didn't even back off he has grit and showed it trying to split the D. Gomez would of coward and bailed like he has in many games this year.

He's cheap to keep and probably can get 20 goals 30 assists on the wing with Eller and AK. That would be a perfect 3rd line and saves money to get a good winger for Pleks.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Captain Saku

No. We keep him in case Gomez sucks again next year he would replace him. But I would like to acquire a more legit 4th line center as well.

I would love to re-acquire Chris Higgins on the 3rd line to replace Pouliot, Higgins is a much better player.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote