HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did we let one getaway?

Closed Thread

Old
08-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Tra La La

vCash: 500
Did we let one getaway?

With our known payroll scale. 28.6?

Is there a move another team made,That you thought " How come we did'nt do that?"

Old
08-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Rowley Birkin

Danny Markov to the Preds. We should have given them the 3rd and thrown in Pyatt as well.

Old
08-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin
Danny Markov to the Preds. We should have given them the 3rd and thrown in Pyatt as well.
definitely shouldve offered a 3rd. offering pyatt as well is just Rowleys way of saying Kotalik will be a 30 goal scorer

Old
08-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:

First move I thought of.

Pyatt is overkill.

Old
08-12-2005, 05:36 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
I think we did offer a 3rd.......but the mention of Pyatt scared them away. We need to leave Pyatt at the busstop in Vancouver, be like "whoops.. bus is going, cant stop it now....good luck" hahaha

Old
08-12-2005, 05:38 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Buffalo is mighty close to Toronto -- We should've gone after Jeff O'Neill. He's a bargain at twice the price Toronto got him at.

Hecht - Drury - O'Neill would have been a helluva line, IMO -- it's possible that Drury wouldn't be overpaid on this line.

Old
08-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
Buffalo is mighty close to Toronto -- We should've gone after Jeff O'Neill. He's a bargain at twice the price Toronto got him at.

Hecht - Drury - O'Neill would have been a helluva line, IMO -- it's possible that Drury wouldn't be overpaid on this line.
this is true. but if we brought in a top 6 winger, we'd have a lot of players we'd have to move because of salary and roster spots.

Old
08-12-2005, 06:10 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
this is true. but if we brought in a top 6 winger, we'd have a lot of players we'd have to move because of salary and roster spots.

How so? we got rid of Satan and Z, we have a ton of free cap room to sign or trade without having to dump our core.

Old
08-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres22
How so? we got rid of Satan and Z, we have a ton of free cap room to sign or trade without having to dump our core.
Regier has stated that the team payroll will be around 28 million so that Buffalo can benefit from revenue sharing. the team payroll as of right now is around 27 million and thats only if Briere, DUmont,HEcht, accept their QO's which i dont think they will. so pretty much right now the sabres are right around the payroll ceiling they have set for themselves. this is why finding a taker for Biron would be wonderful. 2 million of the books frees up some room to sign Briere, Hecht Dumont to 3 years deals. and also allows Regier room to make a trade for a defensemen.

Old
08-12-2005, 06:30 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
Regier has stated that the team payroll will be around 28 million so that Buffalo can benefit from revenue sharing. the team payroll as of right now is around 27 million and thats only if Briere, DUmont,HEcht, accept their QO's which i dont think they will. so pretty much right now the sabres are right around the payroll ceiling they have set for themselves. this is why finding a taker for Biron would be wonderful. 2 million of the books frees up some room to sign Briere, Hecht Dumont to 3 years deals. and also allows Regier room to make a trade for a defensemen.
I don't recall him ever stating a figure of 28 mil. Once training camp starts I think we will see a package deal with biron and someone though. I expect us to be around 32/33 mil for the season.

Old
08-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Quote:
I don't recall him ever stating a figure of 28 mil. Once training camp starts I think we will see a package deal with biron and someone though. I expect us to be around 32/33 mil for the season.
Regier has given the $27-29 million figure on numerous occasions in interviews and in print. Here's a couple links where it's referenced.
http://www.bizjournals.com/industrie...o_daily11.html
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...00/-1/ARCHIVE1

I've also heard him say it on WGR.

Whether the team needs to stay below $29 million to qualify for revenue sharing appears to be an open issue. Even if revenue sharing is linked to payroll, the number may be a few million more due to more teams having higher payrolls than anticipated.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Our core, yes. But we'd certainly have to dump forwards if we got any as we already have a surplus and risk losing a couple via the waiver. That shouldn't be a deterrent, however.

Old
08-12-2005, 09:32 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
Regier has given the $27-29 million figure on numerous occasions in interviews and in print. Here's a couple links where it's referenced.
http://www.bizjournals.com/industrie...o_daily11.html
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...00/-1/ARCHIVE1

I've also heard him say it on WGR.

Whether the team needs to stay below $29 million to qualify for revenue sharing appears to be an open issue. Even if revenue sharing is linked to payroll, the number may be a few million more due to more teams having higher payrolls than anticipated.

I can't view this as a serious statement. I'm hoping its along the lines of "we arn't talking to that player" or "we have no interest in that player" when they really do. I mean does he really want to get fired? The season is on the line. I fully expect us to spend at least 32 mil, and would be shocked if he didnt, i dont believe the jargon he feeds the media.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:05 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon
Our core, yes. But we'd certainly have to dump forwards if we got any as we already have a surplus and risk losing a couple via the waiver. That shouldn't be a deterrent, however.
The opposite of that is that there are a few teams in the position that we are and we could pick somthing up juicy off of waivers. I actually think that one of the dynamics of these first few months will be active waiver claims.

Old
08-12-2005, 10:06 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
I can't view this as a serious statement. I'm hoping its along the lines of "we arn't talking to that player" or "we have no interest in that player" when they really do. I mean does he really want to get fired? The season is on the line. I fully expect us to spend at least 32 mil, and would be shocked if he didnt, i dont believe the jargon he feeds the media.
Why would he be fired? He isn't the one deciding what his salary limitations are going to be. That is ultimately the decision of Tommy G. though I imagine Quinn is adivising him on the matter.

Old
08-13-2005, 02:15 AM
eyeisnikk

Our budget is simple to understand. While most teams aim is the cap of 39 million our cap is not 39 million but 28-29 million. In order to enjoy in the fruits of revenue sharing, and the anticapation of lowering the salary cap less the 39 million, the front office wants to keep it round 28-29 mil.

So if we have a few dollars left over we can spend could perhaps spend it on a cheap ufa. Read the espn article on Team leftover. It suggest it might be possible to get someone with only one million and definitely get someone for 2 million.

Old
08-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
I think we did offer a 3rd.......but the mention of Pyatt scared them away. We need to leave Pyatt at the busstop in Vancouver, be like "whoops.. bus is going, cant stop it now....good luck" hahaha
good call

I like to think he has some value tho, as he does have some potential, and i think some GMs may be still quite high on him.

Jame - whats your obsession with Kotalik? Just because i think he's a better player than Quiet..... i think we have a lot of players better than Taylor.

Old
08-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
good call

I like to think he has some value tho, as he does have some potential, and i think some GMs may be still quite high on him.

Jame - whats your obsession with Kotalik? Just because i think he's a better player than Quiet..... i think we have a lot of players better than Taylor.
its just asset management. its about building a team. its about defining roles. we are overloaded on the wings. and IMO Kotalik is the guy who doesn't fit or have a role on the team.You are right. we have a lot of better players than Taylor. thats why theres no room in the top 6 for Kotalik. and as ive said before. Id rather have the 23 year old developing on the checking line. rather than having the 27 year old trying to score goals on the checking line.

Kotalik is a nice asset at his price. but we have 16 NHL ready forwards. and enough of them can score goals that i dont see Kotalik's value overall to the team.

Old
08-13-2005, 10:14 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

agreed on the markov deal

for the defensemen signings, i didnt see a one that i would have liked to see buffalo do
almost all of the dman deals seemed way too similar to what would have been signed pre-cba
foote's baloon of a deal set the precedent very early and paved the way for some unexpectedly high contracts
i somehow got the crazy idea that the main purpose of the new cba was to lower payroll
well thats exactly what the sabres did
if the league went through this whole ordeal to achieve lower salaries and the sabres came out of it with the same size payroll, i'd be one confused fan

Closed Thread