HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sign Blake Wheeler

Old
05-01-2011, 06:18 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

vCash: 500
This coming from a Boyle lover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Eh, not much of a fan. He has a lot of tools, but he doesn't really use his gift of size to his advantage. He's soft in the corners and on the puck, which is why the Bruins traded him in the first place. I would be ok with a 2nd rounder offer sheet, but I wouldn't give up anything more.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:23 PM
TheRedViper

We gave up only a 3rd rounder for Boyle - so less than he wants to pay for Wheeler -, Boyle only made 500k last year and gave us 20g/35pts and is probably only going up to the 1.5m range. Then you've got Wheeler whos probably going to be making around 3m per season.

Boyle also has a strong defensive game, is a great PKer, more of a physical edge than Wheeler, and gives us a hell of a lot more per dollar than Wheeler does.

TheRedViper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:34 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Where is this physical edge everyone talks about with Boyle? He is a purse swinging Nancy boy..He is good on the PK I will give you Boyle lovers that..His hits per game total is BS..Nobody in the league is affraid to go into the boards against him or get hit by him..He has zero physical edge..He is an embarrassment to every big man who has played the game.

Old
05-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Brian can be a valuable member of this team without being a big hitter.

It'd be nice if he would add that to his game, but its possible that he is simply too fragile to play physically on a regular basis. We saw a lot less driving to the net later in the season in lieu of twirling off or taking it to the corner.

Big players can be soft players, nothing wrong with that as long as the rest of their repertoire is solid, but if Brian could play more physically on a regular basis it would certainly be to his benefit.

05-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Slats does not like offering up for RFA's

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:50 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

How can a dude 250 pound be fragile? He plays every game..This has nothing to do w/fighting..Please Brian keep the mitts on..I beg you..I just want more out of him..He is a huge upgrade from Betts IMO..Just play with a nastier edge..Crush smaller guys when you can..Anything...He's got to show more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Brian can be a valuable member of this team without being a big hitter.

It'd be nice if he would add that to his game, but its possible that he is simply too fragile to play physically on a regular basis. We saw a lot less driving to the net later in the season in lieu of twirling off or taking it to the corner.

Big players can be soft players, nothing wrong with that as long as the rest of their repertoire is solid, but if Brian could play more physically on a regular basis it would certainly be to his benefit.

Old
05-01-2011, 06:50 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Where is this physical edge everyone talks about with Boyle? He is a purse swinging Nancy boy..He is good on the PK I will give you Boyle lovers that..His hits per game total is BS..Nobody in the league is affraid to go into the boards against him or get hit by him..He has zero physical edge..He is an embarrassment to every big man who has played the game.
Wow, exaggerate much?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:52 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Hardly ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Wow, exaggerate much?

Old
05-01-2011, 06:54 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Hardly ever.
He is an embarrassment to EVERY big man who has ever played the game?

You don't see the exaggeration there?

Old
05-01-2011, 06:54 PM
RangerBlues

Quote:
Thats harsh dude. That guy never took a night off and produced.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBlues View Post
Thats harsh dude. That guy never took a night off and produced.
Definition of produce depends on person. I wouldn't call 0 points in the playoffs, and 3 pts in the last 18 regular season games producing.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Definition of produce depends on person. I wouldn't call 0 points in the playoffs, and 3 pts in the last 18 regular season games producing.
Hence my fragile argument.

He may not be durable enough to maintain playing the way he did this year, let alone more physically.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:10 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

He may not be durable enough to maintain playing the way he did this year, let alone more physically.
More minutes and games than he has ever played in his entire life. I would say it is to be expected that he would wear down over the course of his first season where he was playing significant minutes....

Old
05-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:

Could be that he got very comfortable focusing on skill and drifted away from what makes him successful.

I don't see him being more physical ever. I just think he perceives himself as huge and doesn't want to destroy guys. His demeanor on the ice is very telling.

Old
05-01-2011, 07:13 PM
NYR Viper

He hits a lot guys. I'm not sure where people get the fact that he doesnt hit or is "soft". Didnt he lead the team in hits? Considering he wasnt playing 20 minutes a game I would say that is very "telling".

Old
05-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He hits a lot guys. I'm not sure where people get the fact that he doesnt hit or is "soft". Didnt he lead the team in hits? Considering he wasnt playing 20 minutes a game I would say that is very "telling".
Depending on NHL for hit stats is not a wise idea.

Old
05-01-2011, 07:21 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
Depending on NHL for hit stats is not a wise idea.
When comparing between teams I totally agree. On the same team, I would say it is a pretty decent stat.

Old
05-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We're getting a little OT here turning this into a Boyle thread.

I would assert that Wheeler would be a nice 3rd line player for this club. Question is would the cost be more than that, and I think it might be.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:24 PM
RangerBlues

The way its going right now, hitting will be illegal next season.
So the physical argument is moot.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:27 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Isn't this thread supposed to be about potentially signing Blake wheeler at least that's what the title says.......

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:28 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
We're getting a little OT here turning this into a Boyle thread.

I would assert that Wheeler would be a nice 3rd line player for this club. Question is would the cost be more than that, and I think it might be.
I think Wheeler is more than capable of putting up 40+ points a season while providing excellent PKing and added size right now. Considering he is 24 right now, I dont think it is too far fetched to think he could become a 50-60 point winger which would eventually make him a very nice 2nd line addition.

Old
05-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Wheeler had 17 pts in his 23 games as a Thrasher. He was really, really good for them after the trade. Will they want to let him up? No. Might they have to? Possibly.

The Byfuglien signing really tied up a lot of their money that they needed to resign some key players. Next year they've already committed just over $37.5M. How much do they usually spend? The cap floor? Next year it'll probably be around $45M. I doubt they're going to spend any higher than that.

So, given that they have $37.5M committed already, they have about $7.5M to spend on their free agents, and some of them are core players for the team.

Andrew Ladd made $2.35M this year. Scored 59 pts and was an extremely valuable player. He'll get at least $4M.

Zach Bogosian made $2.35M this year. True, he isn't playing how he should, but his salary won't drop down to a million. He'll still get probably close to $2M.

Radek Dvorak made $1.7M this year. Only put up 22pts. 34 years old. They might not resign him, I'm not sure what the word is.

Anthony Stewart made about $0.6M. Had a sudden increase in talent, and tallied 39 this year. Have a feeling they'll want to retain him and see what he can do.

Then there's Wheeler. $2.2M this year. 17 pts in 23 games, right after scoring only 27 in 58 for Boston. Where does that put him?

In addition to that, there's depth players like Freddy Meyer, Brett Festerling, Eric Boulton, and others they're probably going to want to hold onto.

Ladd and Bogosian won't be let go. They'll tie up probably about $6M of the approximate $7.5M the Thrashers will be willing to spend this summer. That leaves them $1.5M to fill up numerous spots on the roster. There's also a good 8 or so other RFAs and 5-6 UFAs that are AHL/prospects that I didn't consider for making the roster next year. The way they look now, it's going to be Wheeler or Stewart, or maybe even neither. However, with their defensive corps starting to look better with Byfuglien, Bogosian, Enstrom, Stuart, and even Oduya leading the way, Ron Hainsey is looking more and more out of place with his $4.5M cap hit. I could see the Thrashers finding a way to rid themselves of Hainsey to make room to bring back at least one of Stewart or Wheeler.
Salary cap is not an issue for Atlanta.
Although ownership uncertainly will mean that we will never spend to the cap, we are certainly not restricting payroll to only the cap floor.
Dudley is looking to add another top 6 winger in addition to re-signing Wheeler and Ladd.
And also I think Wheeler would rather play in Atlanta given we have given him first line minutes as opposed to New York where he will have a reduced role behind Gaborik and probably Callahan.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-thrashe...thrashers_blog

Also regarding the defenseman. Oduya would get traded first to create more cap room if required. Hainsey played really well last season and also has a modified no trade clause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claxton;32807309maybe get a Ladd+Wheeler trade [B
without giving up huge assets[/B] somehow and throw Ladd into that top line LW spot. A bit of seasoning and thats a cup contender.
Thanks for the laugh. Ladd is not going anywhere as he is captain and Wheeler will cost Ryan Callahan as we need a RW in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
No way Atlanta takes Wolski. That's $4M in salary they can't afford. They have way too many important players to resign this summer. We'd have to take some heavy salary in return. (Hainsey or Oduya probably)
I would like Wolski in Atlanta but I don't think Dudley would bite. We already had a similar player in Nic Bergfors and he didn't work out. I don't think Dudley wants to get burned twice by trading for floater.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:53 PM
asparkoflife

double post, whoops.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:55 PM
asparkoflife

How Would Wheeler cost us Callahan in anyone's wildest imagination?

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
and Wheeler will cost Ryan Callahan as we need a RW in return.
Thanks for the laugh.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote