HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Updated-Drury won't retire. Will soak the Rangers for buyout $

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2011, 01:38 PM
  #276
The Perfect Paradox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,496
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Yeah because that is how the players are going to look at this situation. Big market team doesn't get its way so they strip the 'C' from Drury to prove a point?
That's not going to have people thinking about the last 1-2 years of their deal, it's going to have players thinking negatively about the management in general, and not wanting to play here period.
Where did I ever mention stripping the C?

If a player is going to avoid signing with any organization because he's afraid they won't live up to the contract, doesn't that scream a lack of confidence to you? I really wouldn't want any player like that near this team.

Does burying a contract in the minors/buying out a player have a negative impact? Sure, but not as much as everyone else on here claims it does. New York will always be a desirable place to play for free agents. Only a player who lacks confidence in his performance would be afraid of being bought out or buried in the minors.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:44 PM
  #277
TheRedViper
Registered User
 
TheRedViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Where did I ever mention stripping the C?

If a player is going to avoid signing with any organization because he's afraid they won't live up to the contract, doesn't that scream a lack of confidence to you? I really wouldn't want any player like that near this team.

Does burying a contract in the minors/buying out a player have a negative impact? Sure, but not as much as everyone else on here claims it does. New York will always be a desirable place to play for free agents. Only a player who lacks confidence in his performance would be afraid of being bought out or buried in the minors.
Well, the post that you had quoted and were replying to was in response to someone suggesting to strip the 'C'.


It's not about the lack of confidence though, it's about the management looking bad and a player just not wanting to play for shoddy management.

Team A - Big Market team, SC contender, respectable management.
Team B - Big Market team, SC contender, questionable management. Which team are you signing up to be with for 7 years?

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:46 PM
  #278
TheRedViper
Registered User
 
TheRedViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah, like this team has bent over backwards for Drury right? They pay him, he plays hockey, thats what happens when you sign a free agent.

Sather deserves every bit of this for yet again trying to correct HIS mistake, I wish it were 10 million more !
Yeah, anyone who thought that retirement was a realistic option, wasn't being realistic lol.

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:53 PM
  #279
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Check post #205

A Drury buyout is cheaper($1.2M less)and shorter(2 years instead of 4 years of cap hits)than a Commodore buyout. Columbus placed Commodore on re-entry waivers TWICE last season. They are reportedly going to buy him out if they can find a taker. Commodore for another headache or $4.5 to buyout Commodore.

Columbus agrees to buyout Drury in order for him to waive his NMC. He becomes a free agent on July 1.

These types of trades are made right before July 1. Columbus won't change their mind.

Why is it unrealistic to have both Commodore and Redden in the AHL?One of them could agree to play in Europe.
This is exactly what will happen unless there's a team out there willing to take a flyer on Drury that he would agree to play with. My trash for your trash is the best way to open up space on the roster. Remember Brashear and Patrick Rissmiller for Todd White. Anaheim (Jason Blake), Calgary (our old friend Ales Kotalik), Florida (Olsez) and Toronto (Jeff Finger) all have been mentioned as players likely to be bought out this summer. Any could figure in this type of deal.

Sather knows how to clean up his messes.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 03:20 PM
  #280
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,606
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
How is this a soaking? The Rangers offered Drury a contract and he signed it. The NHL has guaranteed contracts. You got a problem with Drury take it up with the Union.
Honestly. This thread is stupid.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:27 PM
  #281
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
remember that time we buried wade redden in the minors?
I do. Your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
i think your post is dumb.
Congratulations on your thought. Given your usual contributions here, that would seem to be a wildly exciting event for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
you gotta earn your keep in this league. and if you're not playing well enough to earn it, you'll be happy to get paid to not earn it.
You'll be happy to get paid provided you're also treated well. You'll be happy to take the money provided you're also not riding the buses down in the AHL and receiving the other amenities that NHL players receive as part of their compensation.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:30 PM
  #282
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Good, I hope it is noted by every player in the league. If a UFA isn't going to sign with us because they're scared that their play will decline so much that they will have to be brought out/sent to the minors, then I don't want them anywhere near this team.
Sounds good to me. As I wrote to Singin, I'm sick of the whole method whereby we keep looking to buy players we're unable to draft or find in trade and buy off players whom we never should have acquired in the first place.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:47 PM
  #283
AXN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
No body wants Avery. You don't have to buy him out, just sent him to the minors and recall him if needed. Nobody will pick him up.

Boogaard is the same as Avery. Boogaard can recover and still play.

Both their salaries can easily be removed from the cap hit.

I herd somewhere that the Rangers can buy out 2/3 rds of Drury's contract because it is the last year.

Wolski should be tradable. Maybe for a mid or low draft pick but still tradable.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:58 PM
  #284
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXN View Post
No body wants Avery. You don't have to buy him out, just sent him to the minors and recall him if needed. Nobody will pick him up.

Boogaard is the same as Avery. Boogaard can recover and still play.

Both their salaries can easily be removed from the cap hit.

I herd somewhere that the Rangers can buy out 2/3 rds of Drury's contract because it is the last year.

Wolski should be tradable. Maybe for a mid or low draft pick but still tradable.
You're overlooking the fact that no player can be waived and sent to the minors until training camp--if Sather truly has his hear set on signing Richards, the players/contracts filling up cap sapce have to be off the roster by
July 1st.

Plus, the rule on buyouts is that any team can buy out any player before June 30th at 2/3 the contract value (spread over 2X the number of years left in the contract). I don't think you can buy out an injured player though.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:22 PM
  #285
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
You're overlooking the fact that no player can be waived and sent to the minors until training camp--if Sather truly has his hear set on signing Richards, the players/contracts filling up cap sapce have to be off the roster by
July 1st.

Plus, the rule on buyouts is that any team can buy out any player before June 30th at 2/3 the contract value (spread over 2X the number of years left in the contract). I don't think you can buy out an injured player though.
Brooklyn
You know this isn't completely true as we have a bunch of free agents and RFA's that only need to be tendered if we wish to retain their rights (Boyle, Anisimov, Callahan, Dubinsky, and Sauer). If you include Drury and Redden our current cap is at 49,112,500 to start on July 1st and the rumor is that the cap will go up at at least 62.2 million, so we have plenty of room to sign Richards on July 1st regardless of whether or not Sather has figured out the Drury mess.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:42 PM
  #286
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
Brooklyn
You know this isn't completely true as we have a bunch of free agents and RFA's that only need to be tendered if we wish to retain their rights (Boyle, Anisimov, Callahan, Dubinsky, and Sauer). If you include Drury and Redden our current cap is at 49,112,500 to start on July 1st and the rumor is that the cap will go up at at least 62.2 million, so we have plenty of room to sign Richards on July 1st regardless of whether or not Sather has figured out the Drury mess.
The only way Drury gets bought out is by June 30th--it's expensive enough at 2/3 the remander of his contract, I'm sure Sather doesn't want to have to go to his boss and say, oops, I have Richards waiting to sign with us, but didn't think it was necessary to buy out Drury last week...however after crunching the numbers we now realize it's necessary to do it (at a higher price).

And it's not just Richards that needs to be signed in order to get significantly better. This team needs more consistant secondary scoring and one, if not two, puck moving defensemen (with at least one of them able to run the powerplay). Plus, it needs to re-sign a significant number of it's young core. I'm not a numbers cruncher here, but everything I've seen suggests that money will be very tight over the summer.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:04 PM
  #287
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
I've been on a bender the last day and a half so I haven't checked the forum. What exactly does the title of this thread mean.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:43 PM
  #288
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,888
vCash: 500
If you don't want to be in this position, don't offer the stupid contracts. This is not Drury's fault. It is not Torts' fault. It is Glen Sather's fault. I hope Chris comes back and gets his $5MM. He was promised it in a contract. He has every right to it.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:47 PM
  #289
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,735
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I've been on a bender the last day and a half so I haven't checked the forum. What exactly does the title of this thread mean.
It means Drury is not going to retire, and therefore we need to buy him out if we want him off the team.

You'll see a lot of whining and hyperbole that Drury isn't doing the "honorable" thing by retiring. You know, because he apparently owes it to the organization to walk away from the team even though he still wants to play here. The noble thing or some ****.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:50 PM
  #290
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
I've been on a bender the last day and a half so I haven't checked the forum. What exactly does the title of this thread mean.

You dont want to know. It'll make you drink even more.

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:22 PM
  #291
Jabroni
Moderator
The Corporate Mod
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It means Drury is not going to retire, and therefore we need to buy him out if we want him off the team.

You'll see a lot of whining and hyperbole that Drury isn't doing the "honorable" thing by retiring. You know, because he apparently owes it to the organization to walk away from the team even though he still wants to play here. The noble thing or some ****.
What does buying out a player do besides taking away 1/2 the cap hit?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:24 PM
  #292
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
If you don't want to be in this position, don't offer the stupid contracts. This is not Drury's fault. It is not Torts' fault. It is Glen Sather's fault. I hope Chris comes back and gets his $5MM. He was promised it in a contract. He has every right to it.

Its not Sathers fault. Hindsight is 20/20. Sather paid the going rate to sign the top UFA centers that summer. Drury, Briere, Gomez..... juicey ufa's

We dont know that he set the bar. In fact the bar was really raised the season before when Tampa doled out a HUGE contract to their own Brad Richards. A contract everyone on HF was baffled by.... that contract started the ball a rolling imo

That summer the Rangers really had 2 main needs to address. Second line C and a vet D man. Somehow Sather got mixed up and signed both Gomer and Drury. If anything that was his mistake. Should have signed one, but I guess he figured Nylander was simply demanding too much.

People forget the job is MANAGING all these many layers of activity. Nylander had a career year and he wanted a big fat long contract THAT EXTENDED PAST JAGRS CONTRACT --- and that's where Sather gets in trouble. Its not his fault, its just his predicament at the time. Few on here wanted to see Nylander extended past Jagrs sweetheart deal. Personally, I would have done it, but I guess Sather knew he wouldnt be able to keep JJ when the deal expired and he didnt want Nylander without JJ.... Smart Sather

He stole Jagr from the Caps and made them pay his salary. He gambled and won. He won getting Jagr, he won getting ridiculous chemistry between Nylander, Straka and Jagr. That line along with Henrik Lundqvist dropping out of the sky derailed the Rangers post lockout re-build plans. And to be fair, I think that was the right move. We had something great happening but it slipped away with the turnover that summer. Nylander split for the $$$$ and Sather thought he had the answer in Drury and Gomez. It didn't work.

Should he have signed Briere instead? He got even more money in Philly and I doubt he'd have made the difference in NY. In fact Flyer fans hated him until last spring when he got healthy and tore through the playoffs scoring at will... he doesn't even play center regularly for the deep down the middle flyers...

So what to do with Drury?


He's probably untradeable until he's

a. proven healthy

b. the trade deadline eats up as much cap as possible


I honestly find Drury a hard guy to read. He really never says anything of substance beyond the cliche' post/pre game remarks. He does say the right things I guess, but in the end he had a piss poor season filled with many challenges and he ate up a ton of the cap in the process.

If anyone could find a slick way to 'fix' this cap wise it will be Sather. He has resources and wisdom most teams/GMs simply do not have when it comes to finding away out of the mess he's in..... a pretty clever guy actually.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:33 PM
  #293
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Its not Sathers fault. Hindsight is 20/20. Sather paid the going rate to sign the top UFA centers that summer. Drury, Briere, Gomez..... juicey ufa's

We dont know that he set the bar. In fact the bar was really raised the season before when Tampa doled out a HUGE contract to their own Brad Richards. A contract everyone on HF was baffled by.... that contract started the ball a rolling imo

That summer the Rangers really had 2 main needs to address. Second line C and a vet D man. Somehow Sather got mixed up and signed both Gomer and Drury. If anything that was his mistake. Should have signed one, but I guess he figured Nylander was simply demanding too much.

People forget the job is MANAGING all these many layers of activity. Nylander had a career year and he wanted a big fat long contract THAT EXTENDED PAST JAGRS CONTRACT --- and that's where Sather gets in trouble. Its not his fault, its just his predicament at the time. Few on here wanted to see Nylander extended past Jagrs sweetheart deal. Personally, I would have done it, but I guess Sather knew he wouldnt be able to keep JJ when the deal expired and he didnt want Nylander without JJ.... Smart Sather

He stole Jagr from the Caps and made them pay his salary. He gambled and won. He won getting Jagr, he won getting ridiculous chemistry between Nylander, Straka and Jagr. That line along with Henrik Lundqvist dropping out of the sky derailed the Rangers post lockout re-build plans. And to be fair, I think that was the right move. We had something great happening but it slipped away with the turnover that summer. Nylander split for the $$$$ and Sather thought he had the answer in Drury and Gomez. It didn't work.

Should he have signed Briere instead? He got even more money in Philly and I doubt he'd have made the difference in NY. In fact Flyer fans hated him until last spring when he got healthy and tore through the playoffs scoring at will... he doesn't even play center regularly for the deep down the middle flyers...

So what to do with Drury?


He's probably untradeable until he's

a. proven healthy

b. the trade deadline eats up as much cap as possible


I honestly find Drury a hard guy to read. He really never says anything of substance beyond the cliche' post/pre game remarks. He does say the right things I guess, but in the end he had a piss poor season filled with many challenges and he ate up a ton of the cap in the process.

If anyone could find a slick way to 'fix' this cap wise it will be Sather. He has resources and wisdom most teams/GMs simply do not have when it comes to finding away out of the mess he's in..... a pretty clever guy actually.
Of course it's Sather's fault. Just because the going rate was $7m doesn't mean you have to pay it, especially not for 2 guys who weren't #1 centers. Yeah, they needed a C and I can actually forgive the Gomez contract because he is a legit 2nd line C and there's was always a possibility that he would mesh with JJ and some up and comers. Drury, who is one of my favorite players shouldn't have got a contract more than $6m (he dserved $5m IMO so you tack on the $1m FA tax). As soon as asking amount went over that, Slats should have walked away and explored other options. Instead he bumped it up, added a NMC and here we are.

I think you are right in that Slats can find a way to at least partially 'fix' this problem, as he has a track record of getting rid of most of his mistakes.

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
  #294
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Its not Sathers fault. Hindsight is 20/20. Sather paid the going rate to sign the top UFA centers that summer. Drury, Briere, Gomez..... juicey ufa's

We dont know that he set the bar. In fact the bar was really raised the season before when Tampa doled out a HUGE contract to their own Brad Richards. A contract everyone on HF was baffled by.... that contract started the ball a rolling imo

That summer the Rangers really had 2 main needs to address. Second line C and a vet D man. Somehow Sather got mixed up and signed both Gomer and Drury. If anything that was his mistake. Should have signed one, but I guess he figured Nylander was simply demanding too much.

People forget the job is MANAGING all these many layers of activity. Nylander had a career year and he wanted a big fat long contract THAT EXTENDED PAST JAGRS CONTRACT --- and that's where Sather gets in trouble. Its not his fault, its just his predicament at the time. Few on here wanted to see Nylander extended past Jagrs sweetheart deal. Personally, I would have done it, but I guess Sather knew he wouldnt be able to keep JJ when the deal expired and he didnt want Nylander without JJ.... Smart Sather

He stole Jagr from the Caps and made them pay his salary. He gambled and won. He won getting Jagr, he won getting ridiculous chemistry between Nylander, Straka and Jagr. That line along with Henrik Lundqvist dropping out of the sky derailed the Rangers post lockout re-build plans. And to be fair, I think that was the right move. We had something great happening but it slipped away with the turnover that summer. Nylander split for the $$$$ and Sather thought he had the answer in Drury and Gomez. It didn't work.

Should he have signed Briere instead? He got even more money in Philly and I doubt he'd have made the difference in NY. In fact Flyer fans hated him until last spring when he got healthy and tore through the playoffs scoring at will... he doesn't even play center regularly for the deep down the middle flyers...

So what to do with Drury?


He's probably untradeable until he's

a. proven healthy

b. the trade deadline eats up as much cap as possible


I honestly find Drury a hard guy to read. He really never says anything of substance beyond the cliche' post/pre game remarks. He does say the right things I guess, but in the end he had a piss poor season filled with many challenges and he ate up a ton of the cap in the process.

If anyone could find a slick way to 'fix' this cap wise it will be Sather. He has resources and wisdom most teams/GMs simply do not have when it comes to finding away out of the mess he's in..... a pretty clever guy actually.
Very good post. I'll add that the Rangers thinking at the time was they were on the verge of greater things and that they were only a player or two away from being legit contenders. Not hard to see some logic in what they did. Drury was Mr. Clutch at the time. The Rangers had been beaten by Drury's Sabres in a closely contested hard fought 6 game series that could have gone either way considering OT games etc. A bounce or two more and the Rangers could have been in the conference finals. In any case they believed that the additions of both Gomez and Drury would get them to the next level. The problem was that neither Gomez or Drury ever really found any chemistry with any Rangers forwards. That's why a raw Dubinsky wound up centering Jaromir Jagr. Those two additions didn't really take us any closer to the cup if anything they moved us further away. And in the meantime age and economics caught up with a number of Rangers. So far Drury has been the only survivor of our high income vets. Even so his game has just deteriorated to the point that he is just a shell of the player the Rangers poached off the Sabres. It's time--whether Chris wants to believe it or not--for him to go. Would prefer he'd retire but if not--buy him out.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:08 PM
  #295
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,607
vCash: 500
Sather apologists out in full force I see. Not his fault for these bad contracts? LOL. I guess Drury, Redden, etc. and their agents must have been using Jedi mind tricks to get Slats to sign these players to such ridiculous contracts.

At some point Sather has to learn to walk away. Drury was NEVER a player that was worth a $7 million cap hit. Same goes with Gomez and Redden, they were massively overpaid. How is Sather not to blame?

Also, the Brad Richards contract was negotiated pre-lockout and was before the cap era. It has zero relevance to any sort of discussion involving post-lockout contracts that have to comply with the cap. If Sather was using that contract as a guideline because it set bar then the Rangers are in much worse shape than I imagined.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:11 PM
  #296
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The only way Drury gets bought out is by June 30th--it's expensive enough at 2/3 the remander of his contract, I'm sure Sather doesn't want to have to go to his boss and say, oops, I have Richards waiting to sign with us, but didn't think it was necessary to buy out Drury last week...however after crunching the numbers we now realize it's necessary to do it (at a higher price).

And it's not just Richards that needs to be signed in order to get significantly better. This team needs more consistant secondary scoring and one, if not two, puck moving defensemen (with at least one of them able to run the powerplay). Plus, it needs to re-sign a significant number of it's young core. I'm not a numbers cruncher here, but everything I've seen suggests that money will be very tight over the summer.
Your point in the previous post was that we may not be able to sign Richards because of cap space. That is not true, we can sign Richards without making any moves currently since we have about 13 to 15 guys signed through next season and one of them is wade redden. I do agree it is better to have the Drury, possibly Wolski, and the Redden and Boogie situations sorted out by then but they do not have to be in order to sign Richards. I personally think at least Drury will be bought out prior to July 1st.

I am in complete agreement on your second point, we need at least 2 to 3 upgrades in this order.
1. 1st line center
2. puck moving d-man (preferably who can run the PP)
3. Top line LW to play with 1st line center and Gaborik

I have shown on here time and time again by buying out Drury and Wolski (something I don't necessarily want to do and I am not sure Sather will do) Richards, Pitkanen, and a top line LW (Brunette, Gagne, Jokinen) can be signed.

Sather cleaned up the Gomez mistake getting us McDonagh and essentially Gaborik
He cleaned up the Kotalik mistake and it got us Prust
He cleaned up the Brash and Rissmiller mistakes
He buried Wade Redden in Hartford, something most people thought would never happen
He has another huge mistake to clean up in Drury, he will get it done before July 1st IMO

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:24 PM
  #297
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I doubt anyone seriously expected Drury to just retire.

If he thinks he can still play, and said he was fine with the Torts role, then why not get paid 5 mil to do it instead of 2 by some other club?


The Naslund retirement is what got this Drury retirement thing rolling. Naslund didnt retire to help Sather. He retired because he had too much pride.

Drury has pride too. He probably knows the Rangers are on the cusp and thinks another year with Hank still gives him a chance to contribute to a Cup run.

As crazy as it sounds, Drury knows he's one or two playoff OT goals from almost justifying the contract.

If he fails (again), he's a major goat who single-handedly tarnished his standing as the game's premier clutch player and leader.

The question is: what is more important to him? Money? Pride? Winning? Reputation?

I think he's in a no-win situation. He's basically like Mike Tyson post-1998. People paid all that PPV money to see a clown and a shell of his former self, even though there was a .00000001 pct chance he would recapture past greatness.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:41 PM
  #298
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
The Naslund retirement is what got this Drury retirement thing rolling. Naslund didnt retire to help Sather. He retired because he had too much pride.

Drury has pride too. He probably knows the Rangers are on the cusp and thinks another year with Hank still gives him a chance to contribute to a Cup run.

As crazy as it sounds, Drury knows he's one or two playoff OT goals from almost justifying the contract.

If he fails (again), he's a major goat who single-handedly tarnished his standing as the game's premier clutch player and leader.

The question is: what is more important to him? Money? Pride? Winning? Reputation?

I think he's in a no-win situation. He's basically like Mike Tyson post-1998. People paid all that PPV money to see a clown and a shell of his former self, even though there was a .00000001 pct chance he would recapture past greatness.
Didn't Naslund retire because he knew he could still go home and make money playing hockey?

You're right on about the OT goals. If (and it was big if) he had of been able to get 1 or 2 and get the Rangers into the 2nd round then a lot of the hurt of his contract would have been ignored.

I don't think the last season of his contract will have any bearing on his standing. he hasn't been good for 2 seasons and quitting doesn't change that, it will just mean that he was poor for a few seasons so left the game. However if he does play and do something useful, it shows that he came back.

I'd also say that all the things you listed are important to Drury, and that's why he wants to play next season

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:43 PM
  #299
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,342
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Exactly. If Drury still thinks he can play in this league, whether it be as a 4th line C or whatever, he's under no obligation to do any favors for Sather or the Rangers and retire. He's lucky that Sather was stupid enough to give him an NMC, because Wade Redden wasn't even afforded the option to play in this league again. Sather has no one to blame but himself if he has to buyout Drury.

How many free agent signings don't last through the duration of their contract? It's getting embarrassing already. Get it right the first time, Slats.
If Drury played baseball and his agent was Scott Boras then would some of the responsibility fall on the agent and the player? Why is it in hockey it's only the GM's fault?

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:45 PM
  #300
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,735
vCash: 500
Awards:
I really doubt that "legacy" is being taken into consideration by Drury. But even then, listen to the way everyone around the league describes Drury--it's like these past two seasons never happened. Joe Averagefan that sits at MSG might view his career in a dim light after his stint here, but the vast majority of people will remember him more for what he was before he came here.

I think the reason Drury isn't retiring is because he still wants to play NHL hockey for the Rangers. And nothing else.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.