HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Why do they get so much better...

Old
05-01-2011, 04:55 PM
SMoneyMonkey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Parse was averaging over a point per game in the AHL prior to being called up.

You're right he wasn't necessarily expected to be a top 6 guy right away, but the org was approaching the situation with an open mind. After 09-10, Lombardi called Parse "one of the top 3 skill guys on the team." Obviously Lombardi and Co. see him as a guy that has top 6 potential. I believe DL compared him to Versteeg.

Watch Versteeg closely enough and you'll soon see that anybody has top 6 potential when compared to him

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:21 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I also would add to that by the fact that they have less responsibilities placed upon them with their new clubs compared to what was expected from them under Terry Murray and his approach.
I can go back many years and the weight of responsibility the organ-eye-za-shun has placed on prospects over the years is just amazing. From Dean Kennedy (the next Bobby Orr) to Pavel Rosa and I could name 50 others.

So maybe DL is right that the kids need to stay down till they learn their trade. But maybe not. If you havent "made it" in your first couple years as a pro (i.e, jumped into the NHL) arent the pressures even greater? Don't know the answer, truly just posing the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
It has more to do with opportunity I think. These guys are playing A LOT of games getting top flight minutes. Eventually you'll fall into sink and the pucks will start going in. With the Kings, you aren't on a line or have stable minutes unless your name is Doughty or Kopitar. You fluctuate constantly. One day you are with these guys, the next your with those guys, one day you are getting 20 minutes, the next you are getting 10... There is no such thing as finding your groove on the Kings, it is adapting and performing on a moving/fluctuating platform.
That may be part of the prblem, bu now you are talking about organ-eye-za-shun-al flaws. Do you really want to go there? You know how this thread will turn, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
Eh, I didn't want this to be a "Oh look, we screwed up" thread but more a "could we have done things differently"/"Does this reveal a problem in the system".

I am personally starting to feel like our prospects don't get enough of a chance. I like Smyth, for instance, but what if somebody had stepped up and been better than Smyth. We'd be able to lose 6mil off the cap and a good prospect would have gotten some good ice time.

I know people are a bit hesitant because there's a theme in HF that every prospect is better than any regular NHLer and what not but, still, I feel like a lot weren't given a chance. Schenn should have been called up when Stoll got suspended, for instance. Clifford should have been given a chance to play with some decent skill. Holloway should really have been given some kind of shot at the NHL.
Well, with the presure to win being even greater next year, there is likely to be an even greater reliance on the veterans. So, when will the kids, Lokitionov, Voynov, etc get their chances to shine? Or will they be given nominal opportunities coupled with great expectations and large defensive responsibilities, which in our system absolutely limit offensive production?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
So, should the Kings risk more and try to give the prospies more of a chance? It might mean a few dropped games but, we really should be able to have somebody in the running for the calder next year.
IMO, if you ever want these guys to progress they have to be given a signifcant opportunity, or we will continue to be the NHL's development system

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:32 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
I can go back many years and the weight of responsibility the organ-eye-za-shun has placed on prospects over the years is just amazing. From Dean Kennedy (the next Bobby Orr) to Pavel Rosa and I could name 50 others.
What?????

I remember Dean Kennedy and I don't ever remember him being referred to as the next Bobby Orr.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

In Moulson's case, I think the Kings might have given up a little soon.

Purcell showed few signs of life and he wasn't playing that well early in the season when he was scoring many of his points with Tampa. I think his effort has gotten a little more consistent but his production has also tailed off. So no huge loss there IMO, it's just magnified by the lack of wingers in the Kings system. I doubt he would have panned out in L.A. no matter how long they retained him. BTW, Halpern played very well for Montreal in their series against Boston (I'm not sure if that adds or detracts from the point of this post).

Boyle was a guy in need of a better defined role. He was a spectacular athlete but it was hard to say where he fit. Sometimes guys need to go to a place with a plan for them and he also needed some time to mature as a player. You cannot cling to everyone who shows a little promise.

Getting back to Purcell, hey, look who made a beautiful pass to set up that 2-on-1, Randy Jones! Anyone clamoring for his services again?

05-01-2011, 10:02 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
What?????

I remember Dean Kennedy and I don't ever remember him being referred to as the next Bobby Orr.
There were several in the organ-eye-za-shun back then that talked about him glowingly, and said just that. As a kid that grew up idolizing Orr, (for many years I would never even wear a #4 jersey) I always thought it was a crock, but I didnt make it up.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:04 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
Getting back to Purcell, hey, look who made a beautiful pass to set up that 2-on-1, Randy Jones! Anyone clamoring for his services again?
Uh, NO!

Old
05-01-2011, 11:39 PM
northernKing

IMO the start of the 2012-13 season will be HUGE for the LA Kings.
Smyth, Stoll, Penner and Mitchell will all be UFA and guys like Loktionov, Schenn and Voynov should be regulars in the lineup. I can see DL signing a veteran like Drury to play on the 3rd/4th line for his PK and face off ability, but for the most part this team should be mostly veteran free. Personally I would much rather the young core grow and learn together and take on more of a burden than have too many vets around.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote