HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery buyout

Old
05-01-2011, 02:45 PM
PawelW007

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
rather just play him for one more yr at 2 million and if he starts crap waive him. Someom may take him on waivers foir the rest of the season

They can't just buy out everyone . Drury fine yea see ya but I keep Wolski and Avery and just let them expire next yr
That everyone is going buy out crazy on these boards. Sean is still a serviceable player, one off year with lofty expectations for a career 4th line LW and lets burn millions of dollars just so we can sign....an UFA 4th liner that would produce the same.

PawelW007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Classic.

Problem? Bury it in the minors! Don't mind the fact that a young players' spot will be taken in the farm team.

Hartford is packed as it is, no pun intended. I'd really prefer it if we'd stop suggesting dumping every problem in the minors. It really needs to end at some point.
Haha, you must be one of those fans who thinks we're going to fill our entire squad with homegrowns from Connecticut in a few years. Avery wouldn't be taking anyone of importance's spot on a weak AHL team. OH NO, Avery's taking a spot from the Derek Coutures and Justin Soryals of the world! What a travesty! How could we ever let Avery take a spot from a career AHL 4th liner!? Not to mention, if a completely useless 40 year old Todd White can hog up a spot on our AHL team this year, Avery can next year and he can still be called up as injuries occur or players underperform. I was merely suggesting that instead of handicapping ourselves further under the salary cap by UNNECESSARILY WASTING space on a buyout, we can send the player to the AHL, since he doesn't have a NMC or anything of the sort. Furthermore, the entire NHL operates under the same set of rules. Every team sends players like Avery to the minors every year, for the same reasons. Stop acting like we're the only team that does it just because we had no choice but to send a completely useless and washed-up Wade Redden there after he failed numerous second chances in various roles on the blue-line. Every team in our position would be doing the same. We're not going to buy out everyone who doesn't work out as hoped. This isn't NHL 11. Thanks for the genius response, though. Great contribution to the thread. Classic.

Last edited by Zuccarello Awesome*: 05-01-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Haha, you must be one of those fans who thinks we're going to fill our entire squad with homegrowns from Connecticut in a few years. Avery wouldn't be taking anyone of importance's spot on a weak AHL team. OH NO, Avery's taking a spot from the Derek Coutures and Justin Soryals of the world! What a travesty! How could we ever let Avery take a spot from a career AHL 4th liner!? Not to mention, if a completely useless 40 year old Todd White can hog up a spot on our AHL team this year, Avery can next year and he can still be called up as injuries occur or players underperform. I was merely suggesting that instead of handicapping ourselves further under the salary cap by UNNECESSARILY WASTING space on a buyout, we can send the player to the AHL, since he doesn't have a NMC or anything of the sort. Furthermore, the entire NHL operates under the same set of rules. Every team sends players like Avery to the minors every year, for the same reasons. Stop acting like we're the only team that does it just because we had no choice but to send a completely useless and washed-up Wade Redden there after he failed numerous second chances in various roles on the blue-line. Every team in our position would be doing the same. We're not going to buy out everyone who doesn't work out as hoped. This isn't NHL 11. Thanks for the genius response, though. Great contribution to the thread. Classic.
I like your reference to me thinking this is a video game. Not an uncommon remark here when there's a disagreement. No, I'm not really into filling a roster with "homegrowns from Connecticut." I just don't like dumping veteran after veteran in the minors. And I never said I prefer Avery to be bought out. I'm actually on board with keeping Avery for the 4th line. Why buy him out? He's $500k-$700k overpaid. There's no reason to buy him out, there's no reason to bury him in the minors.

I'm just saying, we can't keep throwing every player into the minors just so we can make cap space for "something new." And it's not just taking places that concerns me, I don't want Avery overperforming in the minors and getting 1st line minutes instead of someone like Grachev, who needs to be playing as much as he possibly can. And Avery will overperform in the minors. Because he's an NHL caliber player, and doesn't belong in the AHL.

There's really no need to get this worked up over this. Calm down.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I like your reference to me thinking this is a video game. Not an uncommon remark here when there's a disagreement. No, I'm not really into filling a roster with "homegrowns from Connecticut." I just don't like dumping veteran after veteran in the minors. And I never said I prefer Avery to be bought out. I'm actually on board with keeping Avery for the 4th line. Why buy him out? He's $500k-$700k overpaid. There's no reason to buy him out, there's no reason to bury him in the minors.

I'm just saying, we can't keep throwing every player into the minors just so we can make cap space for "something new." And it's not just taking places that concerns me, I don't want Avery overperforming in the minors and getting 1st line minutes instead of someone like Grachev, who needs to be playing as much as he possibly can. And Avery will overperform in the minors. Because he's an NHL caliber player, and doesn't belong in the AHL.

Well said. And add the fact that this is Avery's last year to prove that he's a real hockey player. This is the end of his contract and he's done very little to earn another contract from the Rangers, much less any other team. If he wants to continue to play hockey, he has to earn it. And if he can't/won't play the way he used to--then we can talk about sending him down to the AHL to finish out the season and his career.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

summer cap is lower when you buy those guys out too...id look to trade em if at all possible.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Not to derail this thread, but it wouldn't kill me if Wolski was on the starting roster. I think Torts+Sully do a great job improving our younger players. Wolski's no spring chicken considering he's been in the league since the lockout, but he's still young. Unlike someone like Zherdev, I actually like Wolski too. He seems like a good dude, has undeniable talent, and certainly has upside.

Let our coaching staff have a whack at him for a full year before we consider him another failed experiment.

Same here. If we were to somehow get Richards, I wouldnt mind seeing WW/Richards/Gaborik and Dubi/Ani/Cally top-6. We could try and trade Wolski which would be OK but not sure about just buying him out. Surely he still has some value.

I'm all for buying out Avery though. Dont see us trading him. Who will take him?

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Torts is a fool on this one. Made something out of nothing. Sean hadn't played as bad as he says/said he had.

No buyout needed. After next year, if you don't want him around he doesn't have to be.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:27 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

It's quite easy to say that on a message board. But the fact is, he didn't prove that at all this year. He's been incredibly inconsistent for about 100 games now, and he had 1, maybe 2 half-decent games in this postseason. He's a shadow of the player he was when we first acquired him, and he's a borderline NHLer at best, at this point. He needs to work his ass of if he wants any part of our 4th line next year.

Old
05-01-2011, 08:45 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
summer cap is lower when you buy those guys out too...id look to trade em if at all possible.
definitely try to trade them first...but if that trade results in bring back an equally bad contract that it kind of defeats the purpose

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:24 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
The problem isn't the actual money spent, it's the 5 in dead cap space for 2 years that isn't doable.
Gotcha

Woski i think is buyoutable and makes sense to do so with big savings. Drury can be handled in a Brashear like move like that I've already mentioned. Do that and you've got 10m in cap space freed up.

Trade Drury for Olesz then buyout Olesz.

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calcul...06&buyout_d=15

Totally saves Florida money and NY in cap hit. 372k next year and -227 the year after. Layer that with 466k and 666k for Wolski and you get 838k for next year and 439k the following year in buyout cap hits which is almost nothing. The 604k and 666k or Sean Avery hardly changes the equation greatly. Adding his buyout makes it 1.442m and 1.105m which is very doable.

Considering you'd be removing Drury at 7.05m, Wolski at 3.8m, and Avery at 1.938m and you'd have dead cap space of 1.442, you're still claiming back over 11.3m in cap space.

Drury is really the contract that is the most cumbersome to buyout. The other two can buyout and have significant savings with little impact. Now my calculations are dependent on a deal with Florida for Olesz which It's been rumored that they want to move/buyout Olesz. Buying out Drury would be a cheaper option for them and save them money in other ways as well which I've discussed in other threads. So if they're truly going to buyout Olesz, buying out Drury, is the better option. But say they're not buying him out, that's okay too because there are other options, like Mike Commodore who Columbus badly wants to get out of their organization and Drury would cost less than, but not so much less that it wouldn't make sense for the Rangers to make the deal. Trade for Commodore and move him to the Minors and the buyout is zero.

Considering this team kept Todd White around at a 2.375m cap hit for a good portion of the season last year, I don't know if Avery will be bought out. Then again it's been clear that this GM makes his moves based on what the coach wants and this coach doesn't like Avery and I think he wants him gone.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:45 PM
satrabyk

Quote:

Isnt a kid like Grachev about time to be ready for the big leagues if he is an NHL player. Hes 21 going on 22 next year for a forward. I still think Avery can be an important part for a team however idk with the Rangers with Torts as the coach. He just doesent like him and was public about it before he started coaching the team. I think the best option is the AHL or a trade with Avery. Best bet is AHL and u have him to be called up if a youngster doesent perform like a Grachev who can be a 4th liner on the Rangers in the NHL and u put a hungry Avery in later in the season to fill a role of guy struggling young or old.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Mrpuck

As someone else said Avery is the least of our concerns right now.
Sure he had a down year, but the guy was bumped around constantly all year between lines and in and out of the lineup. Give him a consistent 8-10 min a night on the 3rd or 4th line and he will be productive.

If there is any truth to him and Richards being close friends, I would expect nothing less then Avery to be at training camp when it opens.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

I really wouldn't be devastated if Aves was bought out but he was one of our only productive forwards in the playoffs. Paying him 2 million isn't bad at all, especially if he goes back to netting 10.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
definitely try to trade them first...but if that trade results in bring back an equally bad contract that it kind of defeats the purpose
rough loss 2nite Punk.............now onto Avery. Just keep the guy, its 2 million, he had tons of assists and had a down yr but he turned it up in the playoffs.

Its only one yr. You can waive him and if someone takes him fine but if he clears he stays on the team

Avery cant be dealt cause if so it would be a 4 million cap hit to the team getting him

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Isnt a kid like Grachev about time to be ready for the big leagues if he is an NHL player. Hes 21 going on 22 next year for a forward. I still think Avery can be an important part for a team however idk with the Rangers with Torts as the coach. He just doesent like him and was public about it before he started coaching the team. I think the best option is the AHL or a trade with Avery. Best bet is AHL and u have him to be called up if a youngster doesent perform like a Grachev who can be a 4th liner on the Rangers in the NHL and u put a hungry Avery in later in the season to fill a role of guy struggling young or old.
No? If Avery is called up from the minors, he's subject to re-entry waivers. If a team claims him, we're screwed for $1.9M on the cap for the rest of his contract. No thanks.

Old
05-01-2011, 11:36 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
No? If Avery is called up from the minors, he's subject to re-entry waivers. If a team claims him, we're screwed for $1.9M on the cap for the rest of his contract. No thanks.
1) This is the final year of his contract.

2) He likely wouldn't get claimed.

3) We're already paying him 1.9 if he's on the NHL roster. If we call him up in February and some other team claims him (again, unlikely since they'd be paying 1.9 as well) we're then on the hook for the pro-rated amount. He's already been paid most of his money. We'd only end up spending an additional 600k-800k on whoever replaces his roster spot.

Old
05-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
1) This is the final year of his contract.

2) He likely wouldn't get claimed.

3) We're already paying him 1.9 if he's on the NHL roster. If we call him up in February and some other team claims him (again, unlikely since they'd be paying 1.9 as well) we're then on the hook for the pro-rated amount. He's already been paid most of his money. We'd only end up spending an additional 600k-800k on whoever replaces his roster spot.
I still don't want that to happen. Chances are, we're going to be cap-pressed this season. Calling up Avery and getting strapped for even a pro-rated amount of the $1.9M isn't going to be good. If we send Avery to the minors, he better stay there until he's gone.

Old
05-03-2011, 01:22 PM
NYRangers16

It's going to make me sad to see Aves gone...one of my favorite players, plus he gives us an edge(when Torts isnt trying to castrate him that is). Plus his replacement + the cap hit is gonna be only 300-400k less than his salary. Makes it kinda pointless to dump him. Plus all the other reasons people mentioned.

If we need cap room(which we do), it comes down to Drury. Wolski is an obvious guy to trade for a pick or buy out considering it saves us 3m with almost no penalty. But my point is that an Avery buyout is only being brought up by fans because we're desperate to have Drury's salary cleared. I don't think most people would be so worried about Aves' 1.9m otherwise.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:15 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Frees up $4.6M in 11-12.
I'd rather have those players.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:44 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Avery cant be dealt cause if so it would be a 4 million cap hit to the team getting him
Where does it say this in the CBA?

Quote:
I still don't want that to happen. Chances are, we're going to be cap-pressed this season. Calling up Avery and getting strapped for even a pro-rated amount of the $1.9M isn't going to be good. If we send Avery to the minors, he better stay there until he's gone.
Or you recall him after the trade deadline, in which case he can only play for your team anyway. Certainly not for the playoffs, so there wouldn't be any point in claiming him for a contender and he's a UFA at the end of the season and he's no role model to any youngster so there's no point for a bottom feeder either. Really there's isn't a reason to buyout Avery. Let him play

Last edited by vipernsx: 05-03-2011 at 04:09 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:24 AM
tuponlol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers and Stars will share a Sean Avery buyout. Dallas is obligated to pay Avery in every situation except the Rangers placing Avery on re-entry and another team claims him. The Rangers and claiming team would be responsible for the cap hit in a re-entry scenario. That is not happening.
Incorrect. Dallas does not pay Avery if the Rangers trade Avery. The team trading for him would pay the full $4m salary.

tuponlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Why is everyone talking about buying out Wolski? Guy's a solid hockey player, who normally puts up about 50 points when he plays most of a season. Why on earth would we pay to have him not play?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post
Why is everyone talking about buying out Wolski? Guy's a solid hockey player, who normally puts up about 50 points when he plays most of a season. Why on earth would we pay to have him not play?
Good question--I believe it was mentioned in an article (by Larry Brooks?).

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuponlol View Post
Incorrect. Dallas does not pay Avery if the Rangers trade Avery. The team trading for him would pay the full $4m salary.
Go ask Bill Daly. I asked him a few months ago. Presented the scenario to him in a question. Rangers traded Avery. How does the cap hit work? His response was half the cap hit stays with the Stars and half would go to the new team.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
I am positive that not a single team would take Avery.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote