HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updated-Drury won't retire. Will soak the Rangers for buyout $

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2011, 09:46 PM
  #301
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,419
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
If Drury played baseball and his agent was Scott Boras then would some of the responsibility fall on the agent and the player? Why is it in hockey it's only the GM's fault?
Who said that it's the GM's fault only in hockey? I've never seen anyone state that, or even allude to it.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:50 PM
  #302
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
damn you guys are tough. i think with a healthy off-season drury could be a solid piece for a team thats likely to get even younger next year
Wow there still lives Drury optimists. I thought all the Drury supporters finally saw that he was **** as i said after a week after seeing him play. Sure hes better than W2 but who isnt. Wake up the guy is done and was a bigger failure than Wade Redden in NY not only play wise but the fact he lasted 4 years soaking up 30 million and Wade only lasted 2. Talk about a joke. Since ive been a fan there has not been a worse signing and thats saying something with Sather. Holik 90 mil was bad but atleast the guy could play. Anyway take your money drury from that moron.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:50 PM
  #303
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 9,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I really doubt that "legacy" is being taken into consideration by Drury. But even then, listen to the way everyone around the league describes Drury--it's like these past two seasons never happened. Joe Averagefan that sits at MSG might view his career in a dim light after his stint here, but the vast majority of people will remember him more for what he was before he came here.

I think the reason Drury isn't retiring is because he still wants to play NHL hockey for the Rangers. And nothing else.
Exactly he is not ready to retire yet. He believes that he could bounceback, as do all elite athletes

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:10 PM
  #304
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Wow there still lives Drury optimists. I thought all the Drury supporters finally saw that he was **** as i said after a week after seeing him play. Sure hes better than W2 but who isnt. Wake up the guy is done and was a bigger failure than Wade Redden in NY not only play wise but the fact he lasted 4 years soaking up 30 million and Wade only lasted 2. Talk about a joke. Since ive been a fan there has not been a worse signing and thats saying something with Sather. Holik 90 mil was bad but atleast the guy could play. Anyway take your money drury from that moron.
The redden contract was a million times worse than the drury one. And i strongly dislike the signing.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:15 PM
  #305
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Very good post. I'll add that the Rangers thinking at the time was they were on the verge of greater things and that they were only a player or two away from being legit contenders. Not hard to see some logic in what they did. Drury was Mr. Clutch at the time. The Rangers had been beaten by Drury's Sabres in a closely contested hard fought 6 game series that could have gone either way considering OT games etc. A bounce or two more and the Rangers could have been in the conference finals. In any case they believed that the additions of both Gomez and Drury would get them to the next level. The problem was that neither Gomez or Drury ever really found any chemistry with any Rangers forwards. That's why a raw Dubinsky wound up centering Jaromir Jagr. Those two additions didn't really take us any closer to the cup if anything they moved us further away. And in the meantime age and economics caught up with a number of Rangers. So far Drury has been the only survivor of our high income vets. Even so his game has just deteriorated to the point that he is just a shell of the player the Rangers poached off the Sabres. It's time--whether Chris wants to believe it or not--for him to go. Would prefer he'd retire but if not--buy him out.
Its called scouting and common sense. Jagr had good chemistry with Nylander and Straka, why would u not extend a contract too Nylander who played very good hockey and once again already had chemistry and than go sign two guys too bigger contracts with longer terms. Drury Sabres? I barely noticed Chris Drury all series, 1 guy and that is Ryan Miller. I was at game 5 Rangers carried the play, bull **** goaltender interferance and a cheesy goal to tie the game. You dont play **** for 60 mins and than expect the guy to be clutch, that is a bunch of BS. Chemistry was not the problem with Drury he couldint play with anyone with the loafty expectations that contract gave him. Gomez and Jagr North South- East West, your telling me a GM doesent see that.

What is with this UFA going rate. Firstly just because that is the supposed price for the players does not mean you go and sign Drury a 3rd line center at the time on a high depth Buffalo and Gomez a 2nd line center to crazy contracts. Can you see the craziness, u dont want to sign Nylander to 4.9 mil who is a first line center but were ok to sign a 3rd line center to 7 mil and second line center to 7.5 or whatever.

That was the closest we were and prob will be for a long time. You dont go and change the entire complexion of the team after a good year, you build on it and add a piece like a 2nd line center.... ya maybe a Gomez but not if we had to pay him that. Any person with a brain can think to himself, Jagr has played good with this center, Jagr doesent always play good every year if hes not happy, Jagr will make it or break it for us, why dont i sign Nyls and add another guy for depth. That is what a person with half a brain could think but Sather has a cigar for a brain.


Last edited by satrabyk: 05-01-2011 at 10:27 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:21 PM
  #306
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
The redden contract was a million times worse than the drury one. And i strongly dislike the signing.
I disagree. Drury was signed as a 3rd line center expected to be a very effective at that role, didnt happen. Sure i didnt kno much about Redden but if you take into account Ott kept him over Chara, and he was the top guy on Ott for some years. I mean both are horrible obviously but i think Drury was worse. Plus we had to endure Drury for 4 years and counting, atleast Redden only lasted 2 years.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:00 PM
  #307
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I really doubt that "legacy" is being taken into consideration by Drury. But even then, listen to the way everyone around the league describes Drury--it's like these past two seasons never happened. Joe Averagefan that sits at MSG might view his career in a dim light after his stint here, but the vast majority of people will remember him more for what he was before he came here.

I think the reason Drury isn't retiring is because he still wants to play NHL hockey for the Rangers. And nothing else.

Nearly every non-Rangers fan I talk to, even the ones in Buffalo, consider Drury a major bust.

"Everyone around the league" is grossly overstating it. He's been an insignificant player for two years (next year will be three) and being called a "warrior" by media types doesnt mask how putrid and insignificant he's been.

If Drury retires today, his shortcomings will probably get overlooked and people outside the Rangers org. will cite injuries as the reason for his drastic slide.

But if he tries to play another year, is relegated to 8-10 mins a game and plays like the scrub he's been the last few years, not a single person will think of him in a positive light, unless they're related to him.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:15 AM
  #308
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,419
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Nearly every non-Rangers fan I talk to, even the ones in Buffalo, consider Drury a major bust.

"Everyone around the league" is grossly overstating it. He's been an insignificant player for two years (next year will be three) and being called a "warrior" by media types doesnt mask how putrid and insignificant he's been.

If Drury retires today, his shortcomings will probably get overlooked and people outside the Rangers org. will cite injuries as the reason for his drastic slide.

But if he tries to play another year, is relegated to 8-10 mins a game and plays like the scrub he's been the last few years, not a single person will think of him in a positive light, unless they're related to him.
Haha, we're just in disagreement all over the place tonight. I believe the exact opposite to be true.

EDIT: The guy was picked for the US Olympic team last year and put on the ice in important situations. I'm not even talking about media types. The guy carries a tremendous amount of respect around the league, even if people acknowledge that he's a shell of his former self. I truly believe that--regardless of next season--a few years from now when people look back, that the vast majority of hockey people (fans/media/players/etc) will fondly recall Chris Drury. The guy was a very good player for 10 seasons...and people are going to forget that because he was crap for his final three years? Not buying it for a second.


Last edited by nyr2k2: 05-02-2011 at 12:26 AM.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:21 AM
  #309
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,419
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I disagree. Drury was signed as a 3rd line center expected to be a very effective at that role, didnt happen. Sure i didnt kno much about Redden but if you take into account Ott kept him over Chara, and he was the top guy on Ott for some years. I mean both are horrible obviously but i think Drury was worse. Plus we had to endure Drury for 4 years and counting, atleast Redden only lasted 2 years.
He definitely wasn't signed as a third line center. Where are you getting that? He was signed to center one of our top two lines.

His first two years, he had average seasons by his career standards. 56 and 58 points. Let's just say we did sign him to be a third line center... Those numbers would be PHENOMENAL for a third line player! Hell, if he's a third line center, then his 32 points last year would be just fine.

Drury gave us two average seasons (by his standards), one poor season and one abysmal season. Redden gave us one crappy season, one abysmal season, and now is in Hartford. At least Chris Drury provided some production for two years.

Redden's contract is "better" because he doesn't have a NMC and we can dump him in Hartford. However, during the summer, that cap number comes back and we're just as hamstrung by it as we are with Drury's.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:30 AM
  #310
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,155
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
The redden contract was a million times worse than the drury one. And i strongly dislike the signing.
Isn't Redden going back on our summer cap? Don't we have to go through the whole process of burying him again next fall?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:39 AM
  #311
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,419
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Isn't Redden going back on our summer cap? Don't we have to go through the whole process of burying him again next fall?
That is correct.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:17 AM
  #312
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He definitely wasn't signed as a third line center. Where are you getting that? He was signed to center one of our top two lines.

His first two years, he had average seasons by his career standards. 56 and 58 points. Let's just say we did sign him to be a third line center... Those numbers would be PHENOMENAL for a third line player! Hell, if he's a third line center, then his 32 points last year would be just fine.

Drury gave us two average seasons (by his standards), one poor season and one abysmal season. Redden gave us one crappy season, one abysmal season, and now is in Hartford. At least Chris Drury provided some production for two years.

Redden's contract is "better" because he doesn't have a NMC and we can dump him in Hartford. However, during the summer, that cap number comes back and we're just as hamstrung by it as we are with Drury's.
This is a fair assessment of his time here. I think the Rangers did expect more but his first two seasons they could live with. Even then he was an extemely streaky scorer.
Maybe becoming captain was a distraction but in any case injuries had to take a toll as well. Personally I prefer more gregarious types for captain such as Esposito, Beck, Maloney, Messier, Jagr than quiet introspective types like Kisio, Leetch, Drury.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:42 AM
  #313
Revelation
Reanimated
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
I really want to bash Drury for not wanting to retire, but I can't. As easy as it is for all of us to see the writing on the wall that he's done, it's obvious that he still believes there's something left in the tank.

No doubt he has probably heard the retirement talk from the pundits. I really think it's less about the money, and more wanting to go out on his own terms, and with some dignity. If he thinks that he can bounce back and play another 2 or 3 years, then that's what he wants to do, regardless of salary.

If the Rangers buy him out, I wouldn't be surprised to see him play with another team for a couple years and then retire. On the right team, Drury can be an asset. It's his cap hit right now that's horrendous. If he took on a diminished role on a contender, he could excel. Move him to wing, as he is too slow to be an effective center. He can still take defensive zone draws. Give him 3rd line winger duty, watch his minutes, and give him a little PP and PK time. For a $2M cap hit, I don't think he's that bad.

I think Drury is done with the Rangers, as he really brings nothing to the table that we don't already have. However, another team may be able to find a use for him if he is bought out.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:43 AM
  #314
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Haha, we're just in disagreement all over the place tonight. I believe the exact opposite to be true.

EDIT: The guy was picked for the US Olympic team last year and put on the ice in important situations. I'm not even talking about media types. The guy carries a tremendous amount of respect around the league, even if people acknowledge that he's a shell of his former self. I truly believe that--regardless of next season--a few years from now when people look back, that the vast majority of hockey people (fans/media/players/etc) will fondly recall Chris Drury. The guy was a very good player for 10 seasons...and people are going to forget that because he was crap for his final three years? Not buying it for a second.

So what about Redden? Redden was an Olympian and an all-star. When he retires, the 1st thing they'll think of is the contract and the demotion to the minors.

You're making Drury out to be a Hall of Famer. He's not Jordan or Messier or Maddux. Drury was a complimentary player who is more famous for his LLWS performance than anything else.

People think fondly and recollect about Hall of Famers and superstars. Drury was neither in his prime. The fact that he never lived up to that ridiculous contract and will likely be bought out this season makes it more difficult for the most ardent Drury supporters to forget how big of a big he's been.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:54 AM
  #315
JeffMangum
#meatisbeat
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
So what about Redden? Redden was an Olympian and an all-star. When he retires, the 1st thing they'll think of is the contract and the demotion to the minors.

You're making Drury out to be a Hall of Famer. He's not Jordan or Messier or Maddux. Drury was a complimentary player who is more famous for his LLWS performance than anything else.

People think fondly and recollect about Hall of Famers and superstars. Drury was neither in his prime. The fact that he never lived up to that ridiculous contract and will likely be bought out this season makes it more difficult for the most ardent Drury supporters to forget how big of a big he's been.
It's because Drury is much more important to USA hockey than Redden was to Canadian hockey. Drury is one of the greatest Americans to play in the NHL. Redden was just another Canadian with an excellent prime. I like him, and wish him all the best in his endeavors, but if he comes back and plays like a 4th line scrub, I'm going to think of him less than I do now. Yeah, he's had a fine career, but the fact of the matter is that his "fine career" means nothing now, and he's a complete waste of 7m in cap space.

Now, by no means do I think he owes the Rangers organization any dues or that he should be forced to retire, but I'm probably going to remember him by how terrible he was in his final years here instead of how great of a player he was his entire career.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:04 AM
  #316
alkurtz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
If we are going to have this discussion each time that we sign a player around 30 years old to a long time contract than we just shouldn't sign any.

This is the risk you take. Skills deteriorate, players become more prone to injuries, and take longer to recover.

We can argue all we want about the monetary terms of the deal but the fact remains that Sather gave it to him. What did you want him to say? "No, I'm not worth that, give me less?" Is there anyone out there was has ever turned down a raise?

None of us knows his financial situation. Yes, he has made an obscene amount of money: but we don't know how much he owes or how much he has lost (if anything) during the recession.

This is not the case of a player who took the money and gave less than 100% effort (we certainly have had those). This is a universally admired player who has given his all.

Among his peers (not among shortsighted fans), his legacy will be as as a clutch performer, leader, and a player who they had to tear the uniform off of his back before he quit. I'm sure, for everyone, the respect of own's peers is more important than outsiders.

This anti-Drury venom is sickening. I'm not one who wants him back and hopes that he retires or that the Rangers buy him out. None of this is his fault: it is the fault of age and injury. He is not soaking the Rangers or taking money that he hasn't earned. I'm sure nobody in the Ranger locker room is begrudging him his money or would say anything else but that if he wants to come back....great.

This is a totally professional and class man. If he wants to return (again, I have no expectation that he will return to being a 50 point player; none at all) for the final year of his contract, give it one more shot (for sure, he will spend the summer getting into the very best condition he can) and give it his all...more power to him.

Yes, we would be better served if he retired or is bought out.

But as I said: if we don't want to live with the aging process, than forget signing Richards or anyone else. In fact, as soon as a player reaches 30 we should automatically get rid of them (or send them to the guillotine).

This whole thread is embarrassing.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:21 AM
  #317
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
The moral of the story:

Don't sign aging B-rate players that are trending DOWN to huge contracts. It's really not that difficult.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:23 AM
  #318
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,419
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
So what about Redden? Redden was an Olympian and an all-star. When he retires, the 1st thing they'll think of is the contract and the demotion to the minors.

You're making Drury out to be a Hall of Famer. He's not Jordan or Messier or Maddux. Drury was a complimentary player who is more famous for his LLWS performance than anything else.

People think fondly and recollect about Hall of Famers and superstars. Drury was neither in his prime. The fact that he never lived up to that ridiculous contract and will likely be bought out this season makes it more difficult for the most ardent Drury supporters to forget how big of a big he's been.
Being dumped in the minors for the multiple remaining years of your contract is far more stinging and damaging to a reputation than simply being old and not good. And it's an "event." People will remember him being sent down. They'll remember his cap number resurfacing each summer, and they'll remember him being sent down again. Drury is still an NHL player, no matter how strong or weak of one.

I'm definitely not making him out to be a HOF player. Not even close. I'm making him out to be a terrific player for a decade, who earned himself the nickname "Captain Clutch," who meant a great deal to USA hockey. I really don't believe that these final few seasons of his career will diminish his reputation as a guy that was a damn fine player.

And come on, more known for his LLWS performance than anything else? Yes, when Chris Drury is eulogized, he'll be remembered for winning a LLWS, and then they'll add in, "Oh, he also played a bit of hockey later in life." Get real. Can we make an argument without stupid exaggerations?

I'm not an "ardent Drury supporter." I think the guy is done, and I want him off the team. That doesn't mean I can't respect his career for what it is. And it certainly doesn't mean I'm going to demonize him like so many among us here at HF have.

I'm not going to respond to any more discussions about the guy's legacy, since it's really all speculative.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:40 AM
  #319
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
The moral of the story:

Don't sign aging B-rate players that are trending DOWN to huge contracts. It's really not that difficult.
Really? Aging? Monday morning quarterbacking it is. Look what Roloson done for TB. And he is a freaking goalie, much more demanding position. It is a gamble no matter how you look at it. Some win, some lose. Signing Drury back then was as an obvious choice as signing Richards this summer. Proven clutch performer, great team guy, impressive career, still young enough.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:47 AM
  #320
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,389
vCash: 500
I dunno, contact and cap implications aside, I really don't blame the guy.

He had a complete **** year, was riddled with injuries, is on an up-and-coming team, and has millions of dollars to lose. I wouldn't want to retire after a year like this either if I were a player of his pedigree (career-wise).

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:51 AM
  #321
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,898
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I really doubt that "legacy" is being taken into consideration by Drury.
Legacy is made up by the fans. We all remember Willie Mays stumbling around in a Mets jersey or Jordan in Wizards garb.

Besides, what really is Drury's legacy?

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:54 AM
  #322
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
If we are going to have this discussion each time that we sign a player around 30 years old to a long time contract than we just shouldn't sign any.

This is the risk you take. Skills deteriorate, players become more prone to injuries, and take longer to recover.

We can argue all we want about the monetary terms of the deal but the fact remains that Sather gave it to him. What did you want him to say? "No, I'm not worth that, give me less?" Is there anyone out there was has ever turned down a raise?

None of us knows his financial situation. Yes, he has made an obscene amount of money: but we don't know how much he owes or how much he has lost (if anything) during the recession.

This is not the case of a player who took the money and gave less than 100% effort (we certainly have had those). This is a universally admired player who has given his all.

Among his peers (not among shortsighted fans), his legacy will be as as a clutch performer, leader, and a player who they had to tear the uniform off of his back before he quit. I'm sure, for everyone, the respect of own's peers is more important than outsiders.

This anti-Drury venom is sickening. I'm not one who wants him back and hopes that he retires or that the Rangers buy him out. None of this is his fault: it is the fault of age and injury. He is not soaking the Rangers or taking money that he hasn't earned. I'm sure nobody in the Ranger locker room is begrudging him his money or would say anything else but that if he wants to come back....great.

This is a totally professional and class man. If he wants to return (again, I have no expectation that he will return to being a 50 point player; none at all) for the final year of his contract, give it one more shot (for sure, he will spend the summer getting into the very best condition he can) and give it his all...more power to him.

Yes, we would be better served if he retired or is bought out.

But as I said: if we don't want to live with the aging process, than forget signing Richards or anyone else. In fact, as soon as a player reaches 30 we should automatically get rid of them (or send them to the guillotine).

This whole thread is embarrassing.
I agree. Naslund retired to become a GM. It is rare opportunity. I could worth millions.
NHLPA has guaranteed contracts for the reason. This is that exact reason, you are paid for what you signed, not what you do. If you don't like it, hell with you. No one is going to leave millions to NYR just to please bunch of kids on this board. No legacy worth a million US$. Did anyone remember MacLaine has to play in Manitoba? No one remember that. No one will remember Drury playing in HFD or wherever..

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:08 AM
  #323
NHRangerfan
enfoonts
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 3,091
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Being dumped in the minors for the multiple remaining years of your contract is far more stinging and damaging to a reputation than simply being old and not good. And it's an "event." People will remember him being sent down. They'll remember his cap number resurfacing each summer, and they'll remember him being sent down again. Drury is still an NHL player, no matter how strong or weak of one.

I'm definitely not making him out to be a HOF player. Not even close. I'm making him out to be a terrific player for a decade, who earned himself the nickname "Captain Clutch," who meant a great deal to USA hockey. I really don't believe that these final few seasons of his career will diminish his reputation as a guy that was a damn fine player.

And come on, more known for his LLWS performance than anything else? Yes, when Chris Drury is eulogized, he'll be remembered for winning a LLWS, and then they'll add in, "Oh, he also played a bit of hockey later in life." Get real. Can we make an argument without stupid exaggerations?

I'm not an "ardent Drury supporter." I think the guy is done, and I want him off the team. That doesn't mean I can't respect his career for what it is. And it certainly doesn't mean I'm going to demonize him like so many among us here at HF have.

I'm not going to respond to any more discussions about the guy's legacy, since it's really all speculative.
Excellent post...

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:09 AM
  #324
Midnight85
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 431
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Legacy is made up by the fans. We all remember Willie Mays stumbling around in a Mets jersey or Jordan in Wizards garb.

Besides, what really is Drury's legacy?
They may remember Mays in a Mets Jersey and Jordan in Wizards garb... but as a side note.

They way they are remembered for the vast majority will be Mays patrolling the outfield for the Giants, and Jordan winning titles for the Bulls.

Just like Drury will be remembered for his cup with the Avs, his excellent seasons with Buffalo, and his OT playoff goals far more then he will be for his stint with the Rangers.

Drury's legacy is what it is, a solid but not spectacular American NHLer who played in three Olympic games, won a cup, and had a penchant for finding the back of the net at the right time.

Not a bad legacy if you ask me, one most NHL players would take in a heartbeat.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:24 AM
  #325
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,898
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight85 View Post
They may remember Mays in a Mets Jersey and Jordan in Wizards garb... but as a side note.

They way they are remembered for the vast majority will be Mays patrolling the outfield for the Giants, and Jordan winning titles for the Bulls.

Just like Drury will be remembered for his cup with the Avs, his excellent seasons with Buffalo, and his OT playoff goals far more then he will be for his stint with the Rangers.

Drury's legacy is what it is, a solid but not spectacular American NHLer who played in three Olympic games, won a cup, and had a penchant for finding the back of the net at the right time.

Not a bad legacy if you ask me, one most NHL players would take in a heartbeat.
That's my point.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.