HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic Goaltending Options

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2011, 10:57 PM
  #101
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
They just need to get a veteran like vokoun to play for the next couple years and bridge the gap to when bob is ready to be the full time starter. And let bob be the backup or starter in the AHL, whichever they think will help his development more.

Obviously they shouldnt over pay for any of FA gaolies but they'll have to lose one if not two of Leino, Versteeg, and Carle. We dont want to hinder ourselves anymore with cap to where we cant resign JVR after next year. Who knows what hell make, he could have an amazing season next year like giroux did this year
THIS.

I think trading Bob will be a HUGE mistake. HUGE.
He is playing in his FIRST year in NA. and learning ALL about the game.... the development doesn't happen over night for GK's - Vokun would make the most sense....

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:28 PM
  #102
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
THIS.

I think trading Bob will be a HUGE mistake. HUGE.
He is playing in his FIRST year in NA. and learning ALL about the game.... the development doesn't happen over night for GK's - Vokun would make the most sense....
Same here.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:36 PM
  #103
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
curious to see what vokoun and bryz will be looking for salary-wise.

nabby is an option but comes with plenty of baggage.

what about giguere? he's younger than vokoun even though he sorta has an "old guy" stigma. he's obviously due for a pay cut, and philly has top notch med centers.
I dont want any part of Giguere unless we were out of options and he would be willing to take 500k to 1 million. If you dont think Bobrovsky is ready for the #1 job then you cannot trust Giguere. he is britle.
No to Bryzgalov. He seemed to quit on his team in the playoffs. Dont want that here. Which leaves us with Vokoun. He has no playoff experience, which could be a concern. Throw in the pressure here in Philly when it comes to goaltending you wonder if he can handle it. Personally if the money is right I want Vokoun.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:42 PM
  #104
infidelappel*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Let me get this straight.

Some of you want to trade a young, promising but unproven goaltender in Bobrovsky who's faltered in his limited playoff appearances for another young (but older than Bob), promising but unproven goaltender who's faltered in his limited playoff appearances in Schneider? Or for an equally untested and young goaltender in Bernier?

And you want to give up more pieces in return?

Why the hell would you want to do this?

If you give up on Bob and are selling out for another goalie, you do it for a proven commodity, not a young goaltender who hasn't really done anything more than Bob has.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:52 PM
  #105
FLYERSFAN18
Registered User
 
FLYERSFAN18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I dont want any part of Giguere unless we were out of options and he would be willing to take 500k to 1 million. If you dont think Bobrovsky is ready for the #1 job then you cannot trust Giguere. he is britle.
No to Bryzgalov. He seemed to quit on his team in the playoffs. Dont want that here. Which leaves us with Vokoun. He has no playoff experience, which could be a concern. Throw in the pressure here in Philly when it comes to goaltending you wonder if he can handle it. Personally if the money is right I want Vokoun.
He did play great in the olympics though. Probably the second best goaltender in that tournament, behind miller

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:52 PM
  #106
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Let me get this straight.

Some of you want to trade a young, promising but unproven goaltender in Bobrovsky who's faltered in his limited playoff appearances for another young (but older than Bob), promising but unproven goaltender who's faltered in his limited playoff appearances in Schneider? Or for an equally untested and young goaltender in Bernier?

And you want to give up more pieces in return?

Why the hell would you want to do this?

If you give up on Bob and are selling out for another goalie, you do it for a proven commodity, not a young goaltender who hasn't really done anything more than Bob has.
I would love to have Bernier on this team. Right now he is the more talented goalie over Bobrovsky. That said, I want to keep Bobrovsky. I just want a goalie who can be the #1 next year in case he isnt ready. I dont want to go into another season with question marks in goal.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:14 AM
  #107
CavemanLawyer
Registered User
 
CavemanLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Let me get this straight.

Some of you want to trade a young, promising but unproven goaltender in Bobrovsky who's faltered in his limited playoff appearances for another young (but older than Bob), promising but unproven goaltender who's faltered in his limited playoff appearances in Schneider? Or for an equally untested and young goaltender in Bernier?

And you want to give up more pieces in return?

Why the hell would you want to do this?

If you give up on Bob and are selling out for another goalie, you do it for a proven commodity, not a young goaltender who hasn't really done anything more than Bob has.
I'll help ya out -

No TV and no beer and playoff loses make HFboards posters...something something.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:16 AM
  #108
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
If we are going to stay with Bobrovski for the future then I think we should SERIOUSLY explore aquiring Nabakov from the fishsticks. He could help Bob with his transition to NA and English, mentor him, and translate for his teammates.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:17 AM
  #109
FlyerSithLord
Registered User
 
FlyerSithLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tinicum
Country: United States
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Which leaves us with Vokoun. He has no playoff experience, which could be a concern.
Vokoun does have playoff experience with Nashville.

11 gp, 2.47 GAA, .922 Save %. 04 and 07.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:21 AM
  #110
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
Vokoun does have playoff experience with Nashville.

11 gp, 2.47 GAA, .922 Save %. 04 and 07.
yeah I was going to change it to little playoff experience but got lazy.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:21 AM
  #111
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Versteeg + a minor prospect or a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick is probably fair market value for a young unproven backup goalie like Bernier/Schneider though those teams may not be willing to trade them for that package.
I agree with this. Value-wise, Versteeg plus pick/prospect is probably fair for Schneider, but the Canucks really have no reason to move him for fair value at this point. They're pretty content having one of the best goaltending tandems in the league which allows them to keep Luongo in the 60-65 start range and also gives valuable insurance should he get injured/falter.

Versteeg is a decent 2nd/3rd, but he's really not a huge improvement over Mason Raymond, so what's the point? And at $3.1M, he's not exactly cheap.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:23 AM
  #112
FlyerSithLord
Registered User
 
FlyerSithLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Tinicum
Country: United States
Posts: 2,082
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yeah I was going to change it to little playoff experience but got lazy.
Understood. Vokoun's the most viable option available, imo.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:21 AM
  #113
PALE PWNR
Registered User
 
PALE PWNR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,205
vCash: 50
How would people feel about trading Versteeg for Vokouns rights and a mid round pick? It unloads his contract and lets us get first crack at Vokoun while also showing huge interest to him and his agent.

Florida is in need of young offensive forwards, and we have a few guys that can step into the role of 3rd line checking winger. A line of Nodl Richards Wellwood would be a great checking line, I'm fully confident in Bartulis, Syvret Gustaffson as well. OD will not be here.

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:30 AM
  #114
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,853
vCash: 500
I would be shocked if Versteeg is traded after this offseason honestly. I would deal Carle before anyone else on this team. Also this whole Nodl situation is just wierd. hes been out 2 weeks with facial cuts.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:57 AM
  #115
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
How would people feel about trading Versteeg for Vokouns rights and a mid round pick? It unloads his contract and lets us get first crack at Vokoun while also showing huge interest to him and his agent.

Florida is in need of young offensive forwards, and we have a few guys that can step into the role of 3rd line checking winger. A line of Nodl Richards Wellwood would be a great checking line, I'm fully confident in Bartulis, Syvret Gustaffson as well. OD will not be here.
Versteeg for Vokoun's rights and a 2nd round pick.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:28 AM
  #116
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I'd DEFINITELY trade Versteeg + Bob for Schneider and if not him then Bernier, but I can't see why either of those teams would want a goalie prospect back in return. It kind of defeats the purpose of them trading away their young goalie in the first place. I think either Wellwood of Gustafsson would be more desireable to them.
I could see that those teams may want a goalie prospect in return but probably one that is more of a future blue chip and not ready to play in the NHL yet - so why not offer them Erikkson or Kovar?!

It's ridiculous to consider trading Bob unless it is in return for a real elite goalie.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:17 AM
  #117
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 12,997
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind trading Versteeg at all if it meant getting a solid goalie for only two seasons.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:11 AM
  #118
Jumping
Registered User
 
Jumping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Versteeg for Vokoun's rights and a 2nd round pick.
What in the world would we do with a second round pick?


Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:14 AM
  #119
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,626
vCash: 500
I dont think Versteeg has looked good at all with us, but I just cant see Homer trading him away and spending a 1st and what 3rd (or was it a 2nd? Cant remember) to get him.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:13 AM
  #120
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
1. I like Versteeg with Richards. If you are trading him, we have a new hole to fill
2. If you are trading for the "rights to Vokoun", we better be guaranteed to sign him.
3. I think Jester posted Bob/Boucher to start playoffs, but now, Vokoun. That sums it up for me as well.
4. ANy word if Eriksson is coming to the Phantoms next year? I personally think he has the best chance of being a superstar #1.
5. If we are trading Carle and/or Versteeg, I hope we get some solid prospects for the farm, not a veteran goalie.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:17 AM
  #121
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
How would people feel about trading Versteeg for Vokouns rights and a mid round pick? It unloads his contract and lets us get first crack at Vokoun while also showing huge interest to him and his agent.

Florida is in need of young offensive forwards, and we have a few guys that can step into the role of 3rd line checking winger. A line of Nodl Richards Wellwood would be a great checking line, I'm fully confident in Bartulis, Syvret Gustaffson as well. OD will not be here.
After last season's disaster with Hamhuis and then Nabakov? NO WAY!

Holmgren lucked out when he signed Hartnell and Timonen after trading for their rights. Let's not forget he overpaid and had to give out no trade clauses.

In theory, trading for rights sounds good, but in the end, Holmgren will freak out when the deal doesn't get done and sign Boucher to a 1.5 million dollar per year deal (that was meant as only half sarcasm).

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:46 AM
  #122
ilovetheflyers8
Registered User
 
ilovetheflyers8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: D.C.
Country: French Guiana Independentist
Posts: 4,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
1. I like Versteeg with Richards. If you are trading him, we have a new hole to fill
2. If you are trading for the "rights to Vokoun", we better be guaranteed to sign him.
3. I think Jester posted Bob/Boucher to start playoffs, but now, Vokoun. That sums it up for me as well.
4. ANy word if Eriksson is coming to the Phantoms next year? I personally think he has the best chance of being a superstar #1.
5. If we are trading Carle and/or Versteeg, I hope we get some solid prospects for the farm, not a veteran goalie.
I'm pretty sure Eriksson is staying in Sweden for at least one more season. I believe, though I might be wrong, he signed a two year extension last season.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:54 AM
  #123
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I'm pretty sure Eriksson is staying in Sweden for at least one more season. I believe, though I might be wrong, he signed a two year extension last season.
He's got atleast 1 more season. Also thats not a bad thing. I think if he can get close to atleast half of the regular season games, at 22 yrs old, he can come in next year and fight for a spot (either AHL or NHL)

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:04 AM
  #124
Dojji*
Fight the Hate
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 16,821
vCash: 500
Bruins fan coming in peace.

It's still even odds that the Bruins would contemplate moving THomas in the offseason. We'd need more than cap savings or an expensive veteran, but he'd be a great fit for what the Flyers need if you guys can make the cap work, considering that his contract, while an over 35 deal for a fair sized cap hit, is only valid for 2 more years, for a goaltender who while very solid, needs his rest and is getting on a bit in age -- and thus WILL need a backup to take 25+ starts for him. Perfect training wheels type contract for a veteran to cover for Bobrovsky for 2 years then go. I mean heck, it worked for Rask, right?

I love the guy, he's one of the mentally toughest goaltenders I've ever watched, and believe he's got some Roloson in him if you know what I mean. Gonna be a #1 for years to come. But Rask is our future and with our franchise on the upswing and our playoff window more ahead of us than behind us, we really need to transition to Tuukka sooner than later. Given that the Flyers are perennial playoff contenders, I can't think TT would be to disappointed to wind up there. Maybe even finish his career there.

OK that's my piece, you can go ahead and tell me I'm crazy now.


Last edited by Dojji*: 05-02-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:10 AM
  #125
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS
 
PhillyFlying's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Bruins fan coming in peace.

It's still even odds that the Bruins would contemplate moving THomas in the offseason. We'd need more than cap savings or an expensive veteran, but he'd be a great fit for what the Flyers need if you guys can make the cap work, considering that his contract, while an over 35 deal for a fair sized cap hit, is only valid for 2 more years, for a goaltender who while very solid, needs his rest and is getting on a bit in age -- and thus WILL need a backup to take 25+ starts for him. Perfect training wheels type contract for a veteran to cover for Bobrovsky for 2 years then go. I mean heck, it worked for Rask, right?

I always thought that Thomas would look good in black and orange when he was done with black and gold, and I believe he's got some Roloson in him if you know what I mean. But Rask is our future and with our franchise on the upswing we really need to transition to him sooner than later. Given that the Flyers are playoff relevant, I can't see him refusing to waive his NMC so that shouldn't be an issue either.
i'm not sold on the $5million cap hit. sure, the guy had a phenomenal season but he hasn't looked as good to start the playoffs and he's been known to disappear. this combined with his playoff history makes me not crazy about him, though i agree he'd probably be a good fit for this team.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.