HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Johnson for Luke Schenn

Old
05-02-2011, 12:38 AM
ZJames

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Jack is the type of talent the Kings would regret trading prematurely. As we are all too familiar with this team's history of trading young defensemen (Larry Murphy, Garry Galley, Jay Wells, Alexei Zhitnik, Darryl Sydor), the Kings will quickly regret trading a young, swift skating and highly skilled defenseman.

As noted earlier, he's already scoring 40+ goals and led the team in blocked shots. Sure, he's struggled, but what young defenseman hasn't during the early stages of their career? Now if he continued to struggle when he's 26 or 27, it would make more sense, but not right now.
So hes the sniper weve been waiting for! lol

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJames View Post
So hes the sniper weve been waiting for! lol
Whoops, meant to say points.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
no name

I'd be tempted to make the trade but I would not do it. Jack is a good player for his tag. He may not be GOOD defensively but he isn't pitiful either. He is on the butt end of a lot of minuses. Now if only he would score more even strength goals he would be a plus player. That is a problem with Jack though. I can't come to a reason why he doesn't score more at even strength. He played well in the playoffs.

I wouldn't be opposed to trading Jack, but it would have to be for a young forward.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:26 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I don't, I think LA would have to add. Schenn is a defensive rock, he is younger, and he brings a huge off-ice presence to the team.

Imagine Doughty and Schenn as your top pairing, that's just sick to be honest.

Then you have Martinez and Mitchell, and then you bring up whoever you think is ready, Voynov, Hickey, etc whoever wins it out of camp, and they learn next to Scuderi,

That is just gold defensively.
Johnson has much higher upside than Schenn. It's not even close. Schenn's upside is shutdown defenseman. There's plenty of them in the league.

A Top pairing of Doughty-Mitchell is better than Doughty-Schenn.

If we trade Johnson, it should be part of a package to get a legit top line winger. Otherwise I'd rather just hold onto him.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:59 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Johnson has much higher upside than Schenn. It's not even close. Schenn's upside is shutdown defenseman. There's plenty of them in the league.

A Top pairing of Doughty-Mitchell is better than Doughty-Schenn.

If we trade Johnson, it should be part of a package to get a legit top line winger. Otherwise I'd rather just hold onto him.
Disagree,

There aren't plenty of pure shutdown guys, not at Schenn's level, not at his age.

While Mitchell is the better option now, what about 3 years from now?

We have offensive Dmen in the system that can replace Johnson, there are no room for them right now, are they going to completely replace him, no of course not, they will be a rookie, but instead of having in 4 years, Doughty, Johnson, Martinez, Hickey, Voynov, Forbort you have, Doughty, Schenn, Martinez, Hickey, Voynov, Forbort, or whatever combination of vet/youth you want in there, if one of the three, Hickey, Voynov, Forbort don't pan out. Point is, you have Mitchell's replacement in hand, you don't have to go and overpay for one.

Again, don't get me wrong, I don't mind keeping Johnson, I love the way he plays, but if you have the opportunity to grab a Luke Schenn for him, you jump on it.

There is a reason why you will never see that deal, and it's not because DL wouldn't do it.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Johnson just signed a very reasonable extension, to trade him now would not make financial sense and would be a slap in the face to a player who signed for a fair term when he could have either taken the team to the mat or gone through the motions of restricted free agency at around this price so he could cash in once his UFA kicked in.

Beyond that, he's better than Schenn, whose offensive game is limited and whose financial future is relatively uncertain.

As far as the scarcity of shutdown guys, well how many two-way guys are there of Jack's level? He is a 1B defenseman, not easy to find. Mitchell is better than Schenn and barring injury he will still be in three years; that's a big "barring but Mitchell is an excellent player when he's anywhere near 100%.

05-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Duc620

Trading JJ for anything less than a deal involving a "generational talent on the offense" is unwise.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Kings man 4 life

Biggest thing is the fact JJ just signed a huge extension, trading him would give others second thoughts about signing such extensions.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:03 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Since this is a hypothetical trade..

I would say nope.

Is JJ a dman I would trade? Under very specific or very limited circumstances, yes.

I wouldn't deal him for another D man we are loaded and can absorb his loss from within. JJ would be missed no doubt but we could handle his loss.

Who would I deal JJ for?

Only as part of a deal or a swap for a highly talented sniper of an equal age.

Hard to find a sniper with the same amount of talent and potential as JJ not to mention his contract.

Possible but really highly unlikely.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Johnson to Pit for Neal.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:54 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Johnson to Pit for Neal.
I like it!

We haven't had a legitimate power forward since Deadmarsh and we'd be getting a very young Neal (23) with his best years still ahead of him.

And trading JJ means, there will be a spot open for Voynov/Hickey/Muzzin.

More and more I think about it, I think JJ will be shopped in the offseason.

It just makes sense.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

We trade JJ and I will flip out...that is all.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:52 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Front or back?

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:39 AM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I'm ok with that.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:48 AM
deaderhead28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
I don't know if this is a fair deal or even something we should consider. I just think it'd be an interesting thing to talk about. Obviously Toronto would have to add as Schenn is an RFA and JJ is probably better. But would you consider it?

First, Jack Johnson is big and American so, Burke would probably be all for overpaying. Added to which, he seems to love defensemen who can't play D (Komisarek, Phaneuf).

Second, we have Schenn's brother so he would probably sign for a bit of a discount to be in the same organization.

Third, with Doughty and Martinez being great on the PP when they decide to be. And with our D prospects all being more offensive than defensive (Hickey, Voynov in particular) it would be nice to get a shut down man like Schenn.

This probably won't happen, of course. I'm just curious as to whether you think doing something like this would be a good move. I'd personally hesitate because JJ was much better at the start of the season both offensively and defensively so I'd want to look into that a bit more.

Fun little side question: What would you want Toronto to add?

Anyways, discuss/flame away
No Thanks!!

deaderhead28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Not a chance. Jack has shown he can play defense (which is your biggest complaint), and was one of our few productive defenseman in the playoffs.
29 out of 30 GM in the NHL would make that trade today.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
True, but only one GM will win the cup. Probably the guy who wouldn't make that trade.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Johnson to Pit for Neal.
That would be a hosing, Neal is a respectable second-line forward with 30/30 potential, not exactly a franchise player up front.

Goligoski is a good player but I wouldn't trade him for Johnson. He was slight overpayment for Neal IMO, which is what Pittsburgh had to offer to pry Neal loose from Dallas.

As far as shopping Johnson, it makes sense for a legit, first-line, goal-scoring left wing and nothing else really. It also would have made a helluva lot more sense before he signed an extension. What message to that send to the other guys in the room--two of whom are restricted free agents right this minute--that a guy signs a seven-year deal and you trade him in the same offseason?

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:00 PM
SFKingshomer

Kings can't afford to lose Johnson because they have no one in their system capable of replacing him. Trading him for a 1st line winger would open a larger hole on D.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
The Kings spent their trade. I doubt Lombardi looks at the option to trade too seriously unless there is a dream offer on the table. He is likely going to look at free agency, and if the stars don't align for him there, stand pat and try to use youth to plug the holes and see how it goes.

There is no way that we would be looking to deal Johnson, and we aren't pursuing Schenn at all. It would be nice to have him, but we have significant depth on defense and have no need to spent a cent in that department, it would be making a deal just for the sake of having both last names on the roster.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:10 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
The Kings spent their trade. I doubt Lombardi looks at the option to trade too seriously unless there is a dream offer on the table. He is likely going to look at free agency, and when the stars don't align for him there, stand pat and try to use youth to plug the holes and see how it goes.

There is no way that we would be looking to deal Johnson, and we aren't pursuing Schenn at all. It would be nice to have him, but we have significant depth on defense and have no need to spent a cent in that department, it would be making a deal just for the sake of having both last names on the roster.
FIFY.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:44 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
That's bull ****. No offense, but that is your opinion. You are being dramatic to make a point. That is unless you have a direct line to 30 NHL GM's.

Schenn doesn't even have a contract.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:48 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
That's bull ****. No offense, but that is your opinion. You are being dramatic to make a point. That is unless you have a direct line to 30 NHL GM's.

Schenn doesn't even have a contract.
He's RFA and looking at less than 4m. I don't think the trade is necessarily a good one but, the contract thing doesn't really come into the discussion, unless you think somebody would be willing to fork over the picks for him.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:55 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
He's RFA and looking at less than 4m. I don't think the trade is necessarily a good one but, the contract thing doesn't really come into the discussion, unless you think somebody would be willing to fork over the picks for him.
Price tag has not been set and with what defenseman have been getting on the market you can rst assured that when Luke hits the open market there will be teams lining up to pay him 5 million. I hope the Kings are one of them. We do know that JJ has earned the 4.25 he will be getting with room to be worth way more by the end of the contract.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Nex06

Quote:
That's bull ****. No offense, but that is your opinion. You are being dramatic to make a point.
Yes he is, but so were you when you wrote this:

Quote:
Now if only he would score more even strength goals he would be a plus player.
He would have needed 22 more ES goals which would have put him on 7th spot amongst all skaters in the league. Let's be serious.

That being said, I don't do this deal. I don't think Schenn is better at all and JJ showed that he wants to play for the Kings. I don't see any arguments for the trade at all.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote