HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFC Thread

Old
05-01-2011, 01:50 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

vCash: 500
lol

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Hermamoud

Amazing KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post

Rather boring UFC yet again, only Aldo was entertaining.
I don't think it was that boring, there were a lot of finishes in the card, two highlight reel KOs (Makdessi's sick spinning backfist and Machida's crane kick) and an amazing featherweight title fight where Hominick actualy made Aldo look mortal. The entire undercard was really entertaining. I agree that the only underwhelming fight was the GSP fight tho.

Rory McDonald was very impressive, those three suplexes in the third round were one of the best highlights of the night. That kid is going to be great in a few years.

Last edited by Hermamoud: 05-01-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
Amazing KO

I don't think it was that boring, there were a lot of finishes in the card, two highlight reel KOs (Makdessi's sick spinning backfist and Machida's crane kick) and an amazing featherweight title fight where Hominick actualy made Aldo look mortal. The entire undercard was really entertaining. I agree that the only underwhelming fight was the GSP fight tho.

Rory McDonald was incredibly impressive, those three suplexes in the third round were one of the best highlights of the night. That kid is going to be great in a few years.
I wasn't impressed by Machida vs Couture either much to my expectation. Mark Coleman, Liddell, Sylvia, Hughes, Ortiz were all big names at some point but I have no interest in watching them fight anymore, same is true for Couture. It seems people will say a fight was good if it's a rather uneventful one that just ends with by 10-1sec of action with a KO, TKO or Submission.

I thought it might have been me who's a bit too harsh of a critic or simply doesn't get entertained as much as I used to, but all the guys I was with, even the new bandwagon UFC fans, found the show pretty boring.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
lol

oh...an alien

Chris Pronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:45 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Pretty easy to have a flawless defense when the guy you're fighting doesn't even try to use his skills to beat you.
Shields was hyped up (over hyped as usual) as this unstoppable juggernaut in BJJ. Now, I've been watching the UFC for many years and I know they always try to over hype fights especially when they have a depleted division. Having watched Shields in his last few fights, I knew there was no chance he would beat GSP. That being said, he made it extra easy on him by not even shooting for a takedown once. I can understand trying to establish a strategy in order to make GSP think you want to keep it standing the whole time, but not one takedown attempt??? Ridiculous.
As for GSP, I really don't know what he was doing. It was yet another boring fight from GSP who was mainly popular for his entertaining display of action in his earlier years. Another example as to why A.Silva is without a doubt, the best P4P fighter in the world.
Jake Shields had no business being in a Championship Bout, it was embarrassing.
Shields did shoot about 4-5 times. Each time he was not even close to success and he was left in a very vulnerable position where he could've caught a knee in the face. So he didn't shoot more. He tried clinching, got pushed back easily each time by a stronger man who wanted no part of it. He tried catching kicks, and EVEN with GSP's leg in his arm was unable to take him down. Shields tried, but he just couldn't do it. And trying the same thing over and over again that is clearly not going to work (especially shooting) can be very dangerous.

He was waiting for openings, trying to catch GSP's kick or off-balance as he was striking, but the opportunity just didn't present itself because GSP was so careful about it. It did lead to a rather boring fight, but I didn't find the fight too bad in round 2, GSP was trying stuff (nice spinning back kick in the chest, got a few overhands) and seemed explosive, and I was actually expecting him to open up more as the fight went on. Once GSP's eye got screwed however, he seemed really mentally affected. At this point he was clearly fighting not to lose, was not taking any chance anymore, and so not much happened because Shields was unable to provoke anything either because he couldn't get past GSP's TDD.

And just like that, if you're talking about boring fights and bringing A.Silva as a counter-example... Silva had a stretch of 3-4 fights that were more boring than anything GSP has ever done, when he was fighting BJJ guys and basically never even trying to strike them seriously, doing LEG PUNCHES of all thing, and had just 0 aggressiveness, he was spending the whole fight show-boating, and White said he could get kicked off the UFC if he kept doing it. But since the BJJ guys couldn't take him down, and he was not being aggressive, nothing happened. Was pretty much exactly like last night actually.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Shadyone33

Awesome card, underwhelming main event. GSP needs to fix his head and I'm not talking about his eye. I've been a fan of his for about 7 years now and he is not the same (In a bad way)...This is what I posted in another website I go to for MMA.

I have to say that I am frustrated with him.

1. He promises exciting finishes and never delivers even when the opportunity is there.

2. He comes in with 1 dimensional game plans and has ZERO ability to recognize weakness/opportunity. This became painfully clear in the Hardy fight. He took Hardy down at will and used ZERO ground and pound to soften him up. Hardy was wide open numerous times on the ground but GSP was so focused on his gameplan of submissions he failed to use GNP to soften him up for a submission or TKO.

3. Absolutely panics when he gets hurt. This is a different GSP, heís worried about protecting everything he has. I remember the 1st Penn fight when he realized he was hurt, he wanted to take the fight to BJ so that he didnít get hurt anymore. Now he coasts to victories.

Itís really frustrating watching his fight because now he fights based on what his opponents can do and not what HE can do. íArdy can knock me out, Jake Shields can submit meÖSo he fights scared of his opponents strengths now instead of using his strengths to neutralize his opponents strengths.

I remember when GSP fought Mayhem Miller he wasnít scared to get submitted by him, his ground skills are very good and although he lost the fight against Shields, he had a very real opportunity to finish him.

Iíd love to see GSP think for himself again instead of being a Cyborg with the ability to only do one thing at a timeÖIf the submission isnít there GNP! If theTKO isnít there go for the submission. Mix it up and try for different things if your plan isnít getting you the finish, donít realize your plan is good enough for a decision and coast to one!

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 03:18 PM
GlobalNews

Champions win. He's a champion.

GlobalNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_meanie View Post
Champions win. He's a champion.
Agreed, but for someone to keep talking about legacy and put up underwhelming performances is confusing.

There's no doubt he wins. It's like Silva when he has the chance to finish and dances around. It's frustrating to watch. When you drop someone with a head kick and don't even attempt to finish, that is ridiculous.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:34 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Pretty easy to have a flawless defense when the guy you're fighting doesn't even try to use his skills to beat you.
Shields was hyped up (over hyped as usual) as this unstoppable juggernaut in BJJ. Now, I've been watching the UFC for many years and I know they always try to over hype fights especially when they have a depleted division. Having watched Shields in his last few fights, I knew there was no chance he would beat GSP. That being said, he made it extra easy on him by not even shooting for a takedown once. I can understand trying to establish a strategy in order to make GSP think you want to keep it standing the whole time, but not one takedown attempt??? Ridiculous.
As for GSP, I really don't know what he was doing. It was yet another boring fight from GSP who was mainly popular for his entertaining display of action in his earlier years. Another example as to why A.Silva is without a doubt, the best P4P fighter in the world.

As for Couture, just retire already.

He did try for takedowns, but knew he had no chance of being successful. It's not that he didn't try or didn't want to. GSP is just that good. As for Shields last fight. He had to cut 20 lbs in 24hrs, you would look pretty weak. Shields is an excellent fighter, he was in the ring with someone who has everyone outclassed, not just himself. As for it being embarrassing, not even close, he more than held his own. He couldn't utilize his strengths, but he has nothing to be embarrassed about. I can't believe some of the things you say.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 03:49 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
Awesome card, underwhelming main event. GSP needs to fix his head and I'm not talking about his eye. I've been a fan of his for about 7 years now and he is not the same (In a bad way)...This is what I posted in another website I go to for MMA.

1. He promises exciting finishes and never delivers even when the opportunity is there.

2. He comes in with 1 dimensional game plans and has ZERO ability to recognize weakness/opportunity. This became painfully clear in the Hardy fight. He took Hardy down at will and used ZERO ground and pound to soften him up. Hardy was wide open numerous times on the ground but GSP was so focused on his gameplan of submissions he failed to use GNP to soften him up for a submission or TKO.

3. Absolutely panics when he gets hurt. This is a different GSP, heís worried about protecting everything he has. I remember the 1st Penn fight when he realized he was hurt, he wanted to take the fight to BJ so that he didnít get hurt anymore. Now he coasts to victories.

Itís really frustrating watching his fight because now he fights based on what his opponents can do and not what HE can do. íArdy can knock me out, Jake Shields can submit meÖSo he fights scared of his opponents strengths now instead of using his strengths to neutralize his opponents strengths.

I remember when GSP fought Mayhem Miller he wasnít scared to get submitted by him, his ground skills are very good and although he lost the fight against Shields, he had a very real opportunity to finish him.

Iíd love to see GSP think for himself again instead of being a Cyborg with the ability to only do one thing at a timeÖIf the submission isnít there GNP! If theTKO isnít there go for the submission. Mix it up and try for different things if your plan isnít getting you the finish, donít realize your plan is good enough for a decision and coast to one!
I disagree with most of this as well. GSP is so well rounded, he exploits opponents weaknesses exactly like he should, because he can beat them any number of ways. If their a dangerous striker he'll take you to the mat. If you're a dangerous BJJ fighter he'll pick you apart standing.

His strengths are everything, so I think he is using his strengths while exploiting his opponents weaknesses, which is exactly how a fighter should fight. Why should he put himself in danger to please others? His job is to win fights and no one can come close. I guess I'm one of the only ones who can appreciate a fighter like GSP who can completely dominate other world class fighters the way he does. Sure they look boring at times to those who don't know any better and casual fans, but what he does is simply amazing imo.

The only part I agree with was the part about being seemingly increasingly concerned about being hurt, but who knows, maybe it was a freakish thing where he really couldn't see at all. It sure looked that way to me. I'm not one to question GSP's heart, he is the most dedicated fighter in all of MMA imo.

Old
05-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Boardish

Quote:
I wasn't impressed by Machida vs Couture either much to my expectation. Mark Coleman, Liddell, Sylvia, Hughes, Ortiz were all big names at some point but I have no interest in watching them fight anymore, same is true for Couture. It seems people will say a fight was good if it's a rather uneventful one that just ends with by 10-1sec of action with a KO, TKO or Submission.

I thought it might have been me who's a bit too harsh of a critic or simply doesn't get entertained as much as I used to, but all the guys I was with, even the new bandwagon UFC fans, found the show pretty boring.
Honestly if you found UFC 129 boring you should stop watching MMA, it's not for you. The whole card was entertaining, starting from the first fight on the undercard.

Of course a guy like Machida was a favorite to win, but tell me when is the last time you saw a Kanku Dai kick in MMA? Couture is old and over the hill, but he's still one of the best 205 lbs.

Spinning backfist knockout, flying triangle choke, 3 suplexes by Rory, sick headkick knockout, 2 titles fights, Hominick heart, etc...

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:55 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Pablo Garza's triangle choke was pure awesomeness.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Dekar

Was anyone else baffled that two of the three judges gave two rounds to Shields? The only round I thought was even close was the last, but I still had Georges winning them all.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:14 PM
habsjunkie2*

Kinda, I think the judge scoring it 50-45 had it right, not knocking Shields. I think he lost every rd, but he didn't get beat up at all.

Old
05-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post

I don't agree with everything, but I agree with one thing and it's that GSP seems now WAY too stuck with his gameplan and not adapting well to the fight. I totally agree with the Hardy fight where he could've just GnP his face but tried for submissions non-stop the whole time. His coach even told him 'just stay in his guard and pound him for a round' (and funnily enough he got a LOT of flack by GSP haters for it, they all jumped on it talking about how he said not to try to finish in that round and bla bla bla, but imo his coach was telling him the best tip as to how to finish the fight : if he resists your subs, soften him up first!), but he still tried to go for subs. I mean, most people WOULD have tapped, but still he just doesn't take the opportunities that present themselves if they're not part of his original plan. It's imo the one part of his game that he has to improve.

Yesterday I felt a little bit the same way about his striking. I have the impression that he went in there thinking 'Shields sucks on stand-up, I will use power strikes and knock him out'. He threw big overhand rights, spinning back kicks, etc. Where was his jab that he picked appart Koscheck with? I had no idea why he didn't use it, I was annoyed by it more than once when I saw Shield jabbing him, I was like 'Come on Georges, you jab better than he does if you try!'. Just like when he fought Koscheck, where were his power strikes? He didn't throw anything at him that had much power, because he respected his power, while he didn't respect Shield's.

GSP is possibly the most versatile fighter in MMA. He's good at everything. But the way they game-plan, he seems to enter with a single thought in mind about what to do, and seems to stick to it no matter what, even if his coaches tell him to do something else. That is the area he has to improve on, and imo it would make his fights more exciting (although personally there is only yesterday's fight and the Hardy fight that I didn't like much, Kos2 I felt was a bit underwhelming but I still liked the technical striking I just wished he dared a bit more with the power strikes. I actually loved the BJ2, Fitch, Alves, etc. even if he didn't finish).

Old
05-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Shadyone33

[QUOTE=Patccmoi;32809301]I don't agree with everything, but I agree with one thing and it's that GSP seems now WAY too stuck with his gameplan and not adapting well to the fight. I totally agree with the Hardy fight where he could've just GnP his face but tried for submissions non-stop the whole time. His coach even told him 'just stay in his guard and pound him for a round' (and funnily enough he got a LOT of flack by GSP haters for it, they all jumped on it talking about how he said not to try to finish in that round and bla bla bla, but imo his coach was telling him the best tip as to how to finish the fight : if he resists your subs, soften him up first!), but he still tried to go for subs. I mean, most people WOULD have tapped, but still he just doesn't take the opportunities that present themselves if they're not part of his original plan. It's imo the one part of his game that he has to improve.

Yesterday I felt a little bit the same way about his striking. I have the impression that he went in there thinking 'Shields sucks on stand-up, I will use power strikes and knock him out'. He threw big overhand rights, spinning back kicks, etc. Where was his jab that he picked appart Koscheck with? I had no idea why he didn't use it, I was annoyed by it more than once when I saw Shield jabbing him, I was like 'Come on Georges, you jab better than he does if you try!'. Just like when he fought Koscheck, where were his power strikes? He didn't throw anything at him that had much power, because he respected his power, while he didn't respect Shield's.

GSP is possibly the most versatile fighter in MMA. He's good at everything. But the way they game-plan, he seems to enter with a single thought in mind about what to do, and seems to stick to it no matter what, even if his coaches tell him to do something else. That is the area he has to improve on, and imo it would make his fights more exciting (although personally there is only yesterday's fight and the Hardy fight that I didn't like much, Kos2 I felt was a bit underwhelming but I still liked the technical striking I just wished he dared a bit more with the power strikes. I actually loved the BJ2, Fitch, Alves, etc. even if he didn't finish).[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think he could have done a little more. Some of my favorites fights are bolded as well. BJ2 and Fitch were AWESOME fights. Those were fights he was trying to finish.

Anyway, I also agree with the poster that said the card was great. I enjoyed all of the fights streamed on facebook and I'm watching the Spike fights now online. I was slightly surprised they didn't give Jason MacDonald the submission of the night. I felt his triangle was much better because it was tighter, better technique and finished QUICK. Even Rogan said the fight is over WAY before Jensen tapped. I liked the control that MacDonald used to get it as well. They gave it to Garza because his looked cool at the beginning but it took him forever and a day to get the W.

To the other poster that said they were baffled Shields got 2 rounds...I agree fully. Although I didn't like GSP performance he won every round IMO. I mean...MAYBE they could have given him one round but 2 rounds surprised me.

Old
05-01-2011, 08:10 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post

I think that the loss of one eye did affect his jabs since you could see the timing was off. With the loss of adequate depth perception, he couldn't pick apart Shields' orbital bone just like he did with Koscheck with that lethal jab. I was surprised that he tried so many wild overhand rights but I think that with only one eye, he tried more power punches since they required less precision than that stiff left jab.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
Shields did shoot about 4-5 times. Each time he was not even close to success and he was left in a very vulnerable position where he could've caught a knee in the face. So he didn't shoot more. He tried clinching, got pushed back easily each time by a stronger man who wanted no part of it. He tried catching kicks, and EVEN with GSP's leg in his arm was unable to take him down. Shields tried, but he just couldn't do it. And trying the same thing over and over again that is clearly not going to work (especially shooting) can be very dangerous.

He was waiting for openings, trying to catch GSP's kick or off-balance as he was striking, but the opportunity just didn't present itself because GSP was so careful about it. It did lead to a rather boring fight, but I didn't find the fight too bad in round 2, GSP was trying stuff (nice spinning back kick in the chest, got a few overhands) and seemed explosive, and I was actually expecting him to open up more as the fight went on. Once GSP's eye got screwed however, he seemed really mentally affected. At this point he was clearly fighting not to lose, was not taking any chance anymore, and so not much happened because Shields was unable to provoke anything either because he couldn't get past GSP's TDD.

And just like that, if you're talking about boring fights and bringing A.Silva as a counter-example... Silva had a stretch of 3-4 fights that were more boring than anything GSP has ever done, when he was fighting BJJ guys and basically never even trying to strike them seriously, doing LEG PUNCHES of all thing, and had just 0 aggressiveness, he was spending the whole fight show-boating, and White said he could get kicked off the UFC if he kept doing it. But since the BJJ guys couldn't take him down, and he was not being aggressive, nothing happened. Was pretty much exactly like last night actually.
So, he shot 5 times in 5rounds? Awesome. I did not see one aggressive shot. Even when he had GSP's leg, didn't one single attempt to sweep the other foot, barely saw any pressure being applied. GSP had all the time to hop on his other foot backwards and explode out. I didn't see GSP being really pressure for a takedown. If those were attempts by Shields, then it's worse than I thought.

As for Silva, you actually think White would have released the best P4P fighter in the world?? You know White talks a lot right?? Ever saw his little reality stint where he and Ortiz were supposed to fight each other?? The man only thinks about money. No matter how boring GSP or Silva are, they're probably the two fighters that bring him the most cash, he would have never released Silva, never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
He did try for takedowns, but knew he had no chance of being successful. It's not that he didn't try or didn't want to. GSP is just that good. As for Shields last fight. He had to cut 20 lbs in 24hrs, you would look pretty weak. Shields is an excellent fighter, he was in the ring with someone who has everyone outclassed, not just himself. As for it being embarrassing, not even close, he more than held his own. He couldn't utilize his strengths, but he has nothing to be embarrassed about. I can't believe some of the things you say.
I said the Championship fight was embarrassing, sorry if it wasn't clear enough, but I put the blame on GSP more than Shields, after all, he's the Champ.
As for Shields, if he still cut 20lbs the day before the fight, then he's a complete idiot. He had done the same thing when he fought Kampmann (I believe it was him) and he looked far from impressive. From his own mouth he said after the fight "if I was fighting GSP I would have lost", and when a journalist mentioned Shields cut down 20 before the fight to White, he responded by saying it was stupid. Cutting 20lbs the day before you fight one of the best P4P fighters in the World and the WW Champ? Nice...Real serious dedication there..

Shields is a great fighter and GSP has a tendency of making fighters look like beginners, but like I previously mentioned a while ago, he wasn't ready for contention. Another fight would have served him well. The UFC just had nobody else on the depth chart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
Honestly if you found UFC 129 boring you should stop watching MMA, it's not for you. The whole card was entertaining, starting from the first fight on the undercard.

Of course a guy like Machida was a favorite to win, but tell me when is the last time you saw a Kanku Dai kick in MMA? Couture is old and over the hill, but he's still one of the best 205 lbs.

Spinning backfist knockout, flying triangle choke, 3 suplexes by Rory, sick headkick knockout, 2 titles fights, Hominick heart, etc...
Right, because MMA=UFC.
I actually found the last strikeforce event very entertaining, but that's not MMA I guess..

As for the Couture fight, like I said, a kick takes place during 1sec, that's not how I judge a fight in terms of entertainment value. It was very boring before that.

I'm also not talking about the prelims, most of the action you're talking about took place there.
But hey, if you enjoyed it, all the power to you! There is no right or wrong here, if you were entertained then it's great. Personally, I found it boring.

Old
05-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
So, he shot 5 times in 5rounds? Awesome. I did not see one aggressive shot. Even when he had GSP's leg, didn't one single attempt to sweep the other foot, barely saw any pressure being applied. GSP had all the time to hop on his other foot backwards and explode out. I didn't see GSP being really pressure for a takedown. If those were attempts by Shields, then it's worse than I thought.

As for Silva, you actually think White would have released the best P4P fighter in the world?? You know White talks a lot right?? Ever saw his little reality stint where he and Ortiz were supposed to fight each other?? The man only thinks about money. No matter how boring GSP or Silva are, they're probably the two fighters that bring him the most cash, he would have never released Silva, never.
I never thought he would do it. But the fact that he came out publicly to say it is proof that what Silva was doing was truly an issue, and it seriously annoyed a lot of fans too.

The problem I had was you bringing up GSP fighting boring as if that's the reason Silva is #1 P4P. Just wanted to mention that Silva ALSO did a bunch of incredibly boring fights, and I would say much worse actually because he spent his time showboating, GSP actually did try to hurt his opponent in all fights (most of them had a face that looked like a mess afterwards, finish or not), but sometimes he failed by sticking to his original plan too long (like the Hardy fight).

Quote:
I said the Championship fight was embarrassing, sorry if it wasn't clear enough, but I put the blame on GSP more than Shields, after all, he's the Champ.
As for Shields, if he still cut 20lbs the day before the fight, then he's a complete idiot. He had done the same thing when he fought Kampmann (I believe it was him) and he looked far from impressive. From his own mouth he said after the fight "if I was fighting GSP I would have lost", and when a journalist mentioned Shields cut down 20 before the fight to White, he responded by saying it was stupid. Cutting 20lbs the day before you fight one of the best P4P fighters in the World and the WW Champ? Nice...Real serious dedication there..
Reread his quote... he's talking about Shields' last fight, not UFC129. He cut 20 lbs the first time around, not this time. This time he was in shape for the fight, he was just outclassed. It's not like anyone else didn't look outclassed against GSP, actually Shields is the only guy to win a ROUND against GSP in a long time, no?

I tend to disagree about the 'putting the blame on GSP, after all he's the Champ'. To me, the challenger should be the one taking chances if he wants to take the belt. The Champion will stay Champ afterwards if nothing happens and he just controls the fight. It's the challenger who's coming in there looking to win something. And seriously, I'm not too sure why you would put the blame on GSP so much for Saturday's fight when he spent half the fight seeing from one eye. Was he supposed to go and take chances, jump on him on the ground and risk getting caught in a sub because he can't see half of the other guy? I wish he did more, but so far as putting blame, I always think the challenger has to do what it takes to win and take the chances if he can't outclass the champion, because close decisions nearly always go in the champion's favor (not that that fight was even close).

Old
05-02-2011, 08:08 AM
neofury*

I have to say it was probably the best ufc in recent memory.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:24 AM
neofury*

Quote:

As for Couture, just retire already.

This is such a what have youdone for me lately type comment imo... less than a year ago people were crying about how Silva was the one just fighting to win. He kicks a guy and all is well now.

I willadmit though it was by far the worst fight, part of the blame definitely lands on Shields lap tho. His strat was dumb and with GSP eye ****ed, this fight was a wastedopportunity for himimo.

Old
05-02-2011, 08:30 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post

I have to agree here. It was a great card and a just okay main.

PS: I find it dumb to give less of the blame to Shields in the fight cause hes the one apparently trying to win a title.

Last edited by neofury*: 05-02-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old
05-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I have to agree here. It was a great card and a just okay main.

PS: I find it dumb to give less of the blame to Shields in the fight cause hes the one apparently trying to win a title.
I will always put more blame on the better fighter.
I hated Liddell and thought he was greatly overrated but at least you know his fights wouldn't go the distance. It didn't matter who challenged him, he was the Champ and he wanted to make a statement in ever fight.

I didn't think Shields was ready for a title bout and he proved it saturday. There is so much the guy can do. I thought it was stupid he didn't go for takedowns aggressively but every time he did "try", GSP stuffed them.

Gsp got his eye poked, so maybe that was the main factor. But I don't think it is considering he pretty much fought like he always does.

As for the posters bringing up Silva. Yea, he had his share of boring fights, but it wasn't due to his fighting style. The man seemed bored and simply have a let down. GSP on the other hand, is boring because of his style. He isn't as aggressive as he used to be at the beginning of his career and has become an overly technical fighter.
I'm not blaming GSP for anything. He is the Champ and in the end, it's only about winning.

Old
05-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Bullsmith

Sheilds is an awesome fighter, but he is death to excitement. Watching a compilation of his career is like taking a heavy barbituate. He kills excitement, it's what he does. Obviously blinging GSP in one eye changed the tenor of this fight enormously, but it sure didn't affect it by making it exciting.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote