HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What size rink do you prefer: NHL, International or midway?

View Poll Results: What's the best rink size?
NHL: 200 feet long and 85 feet wide 24 27.91%
International: 210 feet long and 98 feet wide 23 26.74%
Midway: 205 feet long and 91 feet wide 39 45.35%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
What size rink do you prefer: NHL, International or midway?

What size rink do people prefer?
  • A standard NHL rink is 200 feet long and 85 feet wide, with goal lines 11 feet from the end boards.
  • International ice is 210 feet long and 98 feet wide. Goal lines are 13 feet from the end boards.
  • A midway point would be 205 feet long and 91 feet wide, with the goal 12 feet from the end boards.

The advantage of a large rink is that it allowed the skilled and the fast players to display their skill. The advantage of a small rink is that it makes the game more physical.

Personally, I like the midway point. It gives the skilled players more room to roam, but it also keeps the game decently physical. I think that a slightly larger rink would make the game more interesting, with more scoring, more creativeness, and less use for guys like Boogard, while still allowing guys like Prust to be very useful.

Another advantage of larger ice would be fewer injuries, so star players would last longer and long-term it would improve the quality of the players.

Last edited by Beacon: 05-02-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
What size rink do people prefer?
  • A standard NHL rink is 200 feet long and 85 feet wide, with goal lines 11 feet from the end boards.
  • International ice is 210 feet long and 98 feet wide. Goal lines are 13 feet from the end boards.
  • A midway point would be 205 feet long and 91 feet wide, with the goal 12 feet from the end boards.

The advantage of a large rink is that it allowed the skilled and the fast players to display their skill. The advantage of a small rink is that it makes the game more physical.

Personally, I like the midway point. It gives the skilled players more room to roam, but it also keeps the game decently physical. I think that a slightly larger rink would make the game more interesting, with more scoring, more creativeness, and less use for guys like Boogard, while still allowing guys like Prust to be very useful.
Was always under the impression that International dimensions were 200x100 and that NHL was 200x85

This link agrees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_rink#Dimensions

I prefer the tighter 200x85 as it creates more physicality and speed.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Ail
Girardi Sucks

I'll take whatever brings more creativity and slick goals.

I like physical hockey too, but the highlight reel plays are where it's at.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:57 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Was always under the impression that International dimensions were 200x100 and that NHL was 200x85

This link agrees.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/int...mpic_rules.htm

This one gives my measurements. Either way, it's not about the precise number of feet. I just want to know if people prefer NHL size, International size or somewhere in the middle.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:02 PM
ThisYearsModel

Given the size of NHL players and the lack of offense, olympic is the way to go.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:03 PM
JohnnyRanger

after watching a few games in the worlds, i would love to see a wider rink. the game moves so much faster and gives your skilled guys some room to work with...international all the way

JohnnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:23 PM
bmundus

+ - on both sides that to me kinda even it out.
bigger rink: Skilled faster players will be given time to make plays. Less injures because of less physical play. You will see more speed. Easier to fallow, for those new to hockey.
smaller rink: The hitting!, you just don't see that much hitting in international. quick plays because you have to make them with less room. Goes along with last point but the game appears faster.

I like the fact that we have a different rink/game then international play.
Funnest game I have been to was in LuleŚ of the SEL, but that was more to do with the fans.
I do like the way the refs called the 2010 Olympics, I would pick that part of International play over anything.

bmundus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:39 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
The wider rinks are great at opening things up. More offensive flow. However, it comes with a tradeoff: less physical play. It's also worth considering that a lot of guys in the league right now, who grew up playing a rugged North American game, would be far less useful on a larger ice surface.

Wade Redden and players like him were crippled by the "opening up" of the game post-lockout, with the reduction on clutch-and-grab and greater emphasis on speed and agility. You'd see a similar wave of once-good players no longer being able to cut it on a larger surface.

I enjoy watching the Olympics and international tournaments on those large surfaces. The guys playing in those events are the best of the best, and they thrive on the open surfaces. For the NHL, though, with all the muckers and grinders that I know and love, I'd prefer keeping the smaller, more confined surface.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:45 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

NHL players have gotten bigger but the rinks haven't. It only makes sense that they do. I say midway.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

I say midway

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:51 PM
pwoz

Midway, but that means Dolan sells fewer $eats. It will never happen.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Midway, but that means Dolan sells fewer $eats. It will never happen.
If the NHL makes it a rule Dolan must comply

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:38 PM
94now

I don't care. It is harder to play trap on Olympic size ice. On the other hand, cycling is problematic on bigger rink. I am glad the nets are the same.
I wonder why people comment on rink size influence, if majority thinks that effort wins the game.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:40 PM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Yea, but it wouldn't get that far. People like Dolan would make $ure the proposal would fail.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

vCash: 526
I say make it wider, but keep the same length

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

This link agrees.

Depends on what your definition of both are. I see plenty of hitting and speed in international play, in EVERY tournament I've watched.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:28 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I prefer keeping it the same just because the larger rink would be such a fundamental change that would alter the entire landscape of the NHL's present and future.

I do like both rinks, though.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

In a perfect world, I would want them to make the rink 5 feet wider and increase the space behind the goal by a foot on each side, which would create 2 feet extra length.

Physical play is still very relevant, but the extra space would mean the permanent end to the trap and clutch-and-grab.

Old
05-02-2011, 09:10 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Sooner or later, the NHL will have no choice. You can only continue to alter rules so long. Eventually, they'll be faced with one stark and sobering reality: these men are just too big to play on such a small rink and get creative offense out of it consistently.

The NHL rink was fine when the NHL players were different. Today, the international sized rink is the only solution.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Sooner or later, the NHL will have no choice. You can only continue to alter rules so long. Eventually, they'll be faced with one stark and sobering reality: these men are just too big to play on such a small rink and get creative offense out of it consistently.

The NHL rink was fine when the NHL players were different. Today, the international sized rink is the only solution.
I think that would necessitate a fundamental shift in the way the game is taught and played by players growing up in North America. A shift from "our" style of play to something more European. Otherwise, with the talent pool as diluted as it already is, we're going to have a ton of guys that aren't suited to the wide-open style of the larger rinks.

I'm not saying that's necessarily bad, just that it's a bigger change than I think many people realize.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:34 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think that would necessitate a fundamental shift in the way the game is taught and played by players growing up in North America. A shift from "our" style of play to something more European. Otherwise, with the talent pool as diluted as it already is, we're going to have a ton of guys that aren't suited to the wide-open style of the larger rinks.

I'm not saying that's necessarily bad, just that it's a bigger change than I think many people realize.
That's fine with me. I'd love to see a shift toward more passing and cycling of the puck instead of the never-ending board scrums and non-existent offense that you see the NHL's lower-caliber teams (like this one) spend the majority of games doing. It doesn't mean that there will be no physicality, but physicality alone is boring, and that's not far from the truth when you think of the way some crappy NHL clubs play.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 11:28 AM
nyrmetros

International..... no question....

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 11:42 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Not really.

Until the Bruins moved into TD Bank their old arena was 191x83

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Garden

Old
05-03-2011, 11:47 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Depends on what your definition of both are. I see plenty of hitting and speed in international play, in EVERY tournament I've watched.
Short tourneys are one thing where the games by design are more intense.

Watch a season of SEL hockey and let me know what you think. No knock on the SEL, but it's a slower game and more defensive driven and alot of that has to do with the size of the rinks they play in.

Yes, the talent will be more than evident, but I like that talent can be nullified by physical play.

Widening the rinks will create more hooking and holding and general overall obstruction as not everyone can keep up.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd like to see the mid-way, but it will never happen. Owners will never retro-fit rinks in irder to LOSE seats!