HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Bin Laden is Dead!!!

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

vCash: 500
Yes, it's an event with political implications/substance. Yes, that means it's tangential to other, related topics. But this is not the forum to discuss whatever those things might be.

Going to have to walk a fine line, but please keep political stuff out.

Old
05-02-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Because I think it will be perceived very differently by many around the world. It's not inherently bad, it just looks bad. I know it's not an excuse to party, I just think that partying is the wrong response -- reflection is much more appropriate.

I live on a college campus, too. Much of the chanting and screaming I heard wasn't of the positive, "Go America!" variety. In other words, the impression I got was that we were celebrating a death, not celebrating our own unity, and that bothered me.
Fair enough. I will say that from what I heard here, it was mostly U-S-A chants, people singing the National Anthem, God Bless America, etc. There were obviously some exceptions, but not many. It felt good.

Old
05-02-2011, 01:48 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I care about things even if it achieves nothing.
Maybe that's because I was taught from an early age to stick to my principles no matter opinion and I have taken that to heart. It's why peer pressure rarely works on me.

Having said that caring about something almost never achieves anything. An achievement rarely occurs without action, although Howson was trying to disprove that theory... :p I care about the homeless all over the world. Unless I donate (money or time) caring will have accomplished nothing, other then an emotional reaction on my part.

I stick by my fellow humans right to wave some flags, not matter my opinion of it's right or not. If necessary I will defend their right. In some countries they would be arrested. So based on that, I could give a crap less what other people think about it.

Old
05-02-2011, 01:51 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Yes, it's an event with political implications/substance. Yes, that means it's tangential to other, related topics. But this is not the forum to discuss whatever those things might be.

Going to have to walk a fine line, but please keep political stuff out.
Thank you for your patience, I understand we have already crossed some lines. I'll disappear into the background now. Having said that it was a nice change of pace from the redundant CBJ hockey talk.

Old
05-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Having said that it was a nice change of pace from the redundant CBJ hockey talk.
Amen.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Thank you for your patience, I understand we have already crossed some lines. I'll disappear into the background now. Having said that it was a nice change of pace from the redundant CBJ hockey talk.
Don't disagree which is why the thread was left - and is still - open.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:25 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Don't disagree which is why the thread was left - and is still - open.
Thanks.... I'll probably still stay in the background. I tend to be... controversial... and don't want to be responsible for getting the thread closed...

Old
05-02-2011, 03:32 PM
GrimReeper

Whether you fall to the right, left, or even float in the middle - This is a great day for America and the rest of the world. While it isn't as easy as "cutting the head off the snake" to extinguish the radicals - This sure does take some wind out of their sails. Not to mention how some 9.11 victims families must feel. I wouldn't call it closure but more so justice. Pearl Harbor still hurts even though we won that war. 9.11 will always hurt because it's a war we can't "win".

I watered up a little when I heard the news. Gave a few "eff yeah's" and high fives. I have and always will fly old glory outside my front door.

This almost reminds me of a family funeral. A lot of people don't allow someone to know how much they appreciate them until they are too far away to hear it. No matter what political party we all (most of us) fall under - We are lucky to live such free lives here in the USA.

I make it a habbit to thank soldiers when I see them in uniform at the airports or in town. I travel a lot so I do it regularly. I mean it when I say - God Bless America. I LOVE our country.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:21 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Somebody on Twitter said "Osama Bin Laden: Upper Body Injury, Unlikely to Return".

Bobby Ryan's tweet was great, too. "Who got the 25 kill streak on COD that lead to what just happened?".

Old
05-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
That's a funny tweet by Bobby Ryan.

Old
05-02-2011, 05:30 PM
hockeygeek
Rejisturd User

which leads us to the question...who's the genius who said this millionaire was hiding in a cave somewhere?

Old
05-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygeek View Post
which leads us to the question...who's the genius who said this millionaire was hiding in a cave somewhere?
Eklund

Old
05-02-2011, 06:36 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Lol it's a shame that Osama put his home address into his playstation network account.

Old
05-02-2011, 06:59 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

I've got to admit, I always figured he was holed up in Phoenix or something...

Old
05-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Matt Foley
Blue Jackets

Just a friendly FYI - apparently there are a lot of malicious viruses attached to purported links related to images of a deceased bin Laden. That probably went without saying, but there you go regardless.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Kudos to the Navy Seals for a job well done. They are such bad-a$$es!

Good riddance OBL.

Can we get Seal team 6 for our 4th line?

Old
05-03-2011, 09:52 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Can we get Seal team 6 for our 4th line?
Who is this Seal Team 6 you speak of? If they were on the ice, you would never know it was them... :p

Old
05-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Who is this Seal Team 6 you speak of? If they were on the ice, you would never know it was them... :p
And if you found out who they were, they would have to...

Old
05-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

http://www.hockeydb.com/stte/columbu...eals-5322.html

Old
05-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Apologies for making the light-hearted connection.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:44 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

His dead influenced WC:

http://www.pluska.sk/sport/hokej-ms-...atorov-ms.html

Google Translator from Slovak:

Quote:
Policemen patrolling Monday stringent U.S. Embassy in Bratislava and during the World Cup of Hockey and the U.S. national team members. It was a decision of the Interior Ministry after publishing a report on the death of the world most wanted terrorist Osama bin Laden. As a ministry spokesman Gábor Grendel, security situation, the police will continuously evaluate and adapt measures to current needs.

Situation in the world closely followed the World Cup organizers. "World Cup Organising Committee and its constituents, in charge of security, very closely with all authorities to take care of that in Slovakia it was safe. In cooperation with them monitor the situation in the world and evaluate all safety risks and to adapt all precautions, "said Communications Director Michaela Grendelová MS 2011.

The U.S. team played on Monday match with Norway and its members are very security measures would not comment. In the near Kosice Steel Arena patrol in comparison with previous days optically increased number of police officers. "We came to Slovakia to play hockey and it is paramount. Ice hockey is most important for us," said U.S. forward Yan Stastny on the question of whether Americans feel the increased security measures.

Organizing Committee provides security for championship teams in both arenas during matches, training sessions and their visits in the cloakroom. In the vicinity of stadiums to order police to charge. At Monday's battle with U.S. tour in Norway entered the arena rather than increased security checks. "Our measures are set to match the significance of this event. To all the arenas feel regardless of the different events safely. Even today, standard inspection," said Chairman of the Organizing Committee in Manchester Petr Handl.
and here again Google Translator): http://korzar.sme.sk/c/5875766/ameri...at-nechcu.html

Quote:
The killing of bin Laden already know the Americans, who in Manchester cheers his hockey team to world championships. U.S. representatives to the topic, which live their country, they do not want to express.

Kosice. During today's match USA - Norway in Steel Arena, we approached the issue with American fans, who say the death terrorist.

"I do not know whether this is good or bad. It's just another event in the issue of terrorism and people are already tired of it, because the death of bin Laden's terrorism problem is not resolved, this is not the end, on the contrary, it may even intensify. May be stronger now both American nationalism, but also anger in the Middle East. It is unfair that he was killed without trial, "responded Anna (23) from Worthingtonu.

It found it strange that people celebrate death of man in the streets. "He did horrible things, you probably deserve to be punished, but so celebrate death strikes me as someone special. One thing is for him to catch, capture, gaol. But the second thing is to kill him, and I can not say that I was happy of it because it is human life. I do not think that the enthusiastic celebrations that seen in the reports represent the general opinion of Americans. Some question whether it was really on. Others feel relief. And others are afraid of what may follow ... "
Amanda: I'm happy, we feel peace

Conversely, Amanda (38) from Salt Lake City is "very happy, like many Americans. It took a long time and spent a lot of money to find him. His terrorist attacks can not be forgiven. It is good that is finally dead and we can feel peace. Although no one today can say whether it now will be better or worse. No one knows what may yet happen, "concluded Amanda caution.

Old
05-03-2011, 04:36 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Omalycat View Post
I've got to admit, I always figured he was holed up in Detroit or something...
Fixed.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Oh man, the White House has now revealed OBL was unharmed when killed.. Here we go, I say who cares; for example, would anyone care if Hitler was shot and killed unarmed? The point is some in the world will try to make the case that we did wrong by killing an unarmed man regardless if he was OBL or not...

The foreign spin doctors are just getting started, put on your seatbelts.

Old
05-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

I have to admit, I have refrained from posting on this thread as to not get a permanent ban from these boards. Good riddance and no apologies.

Old
05-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Apologies for making the light-hearted connection.
LOLZ! No apologies needed. That was outstanding!

I had season tickets to the Seals and Owls. Some fond memories there. Our Seals were not bad-a$$es like the Navy version.

Closed Thread