HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board realignment discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets Woodchuck View Post
I forgot about Florida being in the Confederacy. Both of their teams are safe.

I'm still not convinced about Nashville. I want to see how they handle a prolonged bad streak.
Nashville has proven to be a better hockey market than Columbus.

Doesn't matter if Cbus and Nashville fail though, because Winnipeg can easily support 5 NHL teams.

Can you imagine the rivalry between the West End and Fort Rouge? Why must Bettman stop great rivalries like these?

05-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post

Doesn't matter if Cbus and Nashville fail though, because Winnipeg can easily support 5 NHL teams.

Can you imagine the rivalry between the West End and Fort Rouge? Why must Bettman stop great rivalries like these?
I usually agree with you, but this statement baffles me. Nashville has been a much better managed, and run hockey team, but in no way has it been a better market. Had we had the teams that Nashville has had, I would bet my pension that our attendance figures would have dwarfed Nashville's. Not to mention our corporate sponsorship has been much stronger than Nashville's, even with an inferior product.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:47 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I usually agree with you, but this statement baffles me. Nashville has been a much better managed, and run hockey team, but in no way has it been a better market. Had we had the teams that Nashville has had, I would bet my pension that our attendance figures would have dwarfed Nashville's. Not to mention our corporate sponsorship has been much stronger than Nashville's, even with an inferior product.
I agree with this. Now, Sam would have been on the money if he would have said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow:
Nashville has proven to be a better hockey organization than Columbus.

Old
05-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Last night's game ending at 1am eastern, did anyone in Tennessee watch?
Also, if Columbus was in the 2nd round I don't think they'd have trouble selling out games like they do.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:26 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I do not agree Nashville is not better market than Columbus, why dio you think it?

Old
05-01-2011, 12:35 PM
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Update on the situation in Phoenix, and to a lesser extent, Atlanta.

Coyotes lost $36.6 million last season. WOW, just Wow.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...edium=referral
They lost 40 a couple years ago. Progress!

Old
05-01-2011, 01:37 PM
WorkingOvertime

FWIW when the league did tell the Wings they would be the first team to move east, should a realignment occur. However, I am not confident the league would honor this if the situation arises because of the revenue generated when Detroit travels.

If the Wings are somehow passed over, I'd like to see Columbus be next in line to move east. Living in Columbus, I only went to a handful of games this year because a lot of the West teams don't interest me much (outside of the central).

Old
05-01-2011, 01:46 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I do not believe that Wings West needs Wings it is not Toronto which was average team. IMO Columbus would early move than Wings. Besides our profit would be highet and NHL wants it. Wings have profit whether they are on the West or not.

Old
05-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Monk

I'd feel like we're taking the easy way out if we move to the East. I want to win in the West.

Old
05-01-2011, 02:41 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
I'd feel like we're taking the easy way out if we move to the East. I want to win in the West.
it is right I must agree with you and blahblah with it.

Old
05-01-2011, 02:50 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Another point to ponder: How would moving the Wings East, instead of Columbus, hurt Columbus financially?

Old
05-01-2011, 03:05 PM
WorkingOvertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I do not believe that Wings West needs Wings it is not Toronto which was average team. IMO Columbus would early move than Wings. Besides our profit would be highet and NHL wants it. Wings have profit whether they are on the West or not.
It's more the profit the other West teams get when the Wings travel. The CBJ-Wings games I've went to have all been sold out. However, I managed to easily get student tickets to a few CBJ-Blues games this year. I imagine the same thing happens in many West cities- the teams draw more than average when they play the Wings.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:06 PM
WorkingOvertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Another point to ponder: How would moving the Wings East, instead of Columbus, hurt Columbus financially?
It would only hurt the profit gained when they play the Wings. These games are always sold out, and the games replaced with Winnipeg (or whoever else) likely wouldn't draw as well.

Old
05-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Roadman
Moving On

I think it also depends on what team is leaving the east. If it is indeed Atlanta as indicated then it might make the most sense to move Nashville to the SE rather than Columbus. If it's Winnepeg they move to, they go to the NW and Minnesota joins the Central. Same if FLA is moving.

Now if the NYI go then it is a different question.

Last edited by Roadman: 05-01-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old
05-02-2011, 08:00 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Replace that with Buffalo or the Pens and no issue.

Old
05-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Not to mention our corporate sponsorship has been much stronger than Nashville's, even with an inferior product.
That has more to do with Craig Leipold than it does the market itself. Nashville's start was good at the hockey ops and not so great business-wise; we were good business-wise but not so great at hockey ops. Given the option, I'm not sure which I'd pick if I had to choose, considering just how close the Preds came to moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Last night's game ending at 1am eastern, did anyone in Tennessee watch?
Quite a few, actually, judging by the on-the-spot reaction to Halischuk's OT winner. (And I certainly hope you were watching! Rinne was beyond fantastic, and it its always a true pleasure to see Suter and Weber at work. )

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-02-2011, 02:49 PM
blahblah

Enjoying the performances of Nashville players? Never! (At least not unless I move to Nashville or Columbus in no longer in the same division).

Old
05-02-2011, 02:53 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingOvertime View Post
It's more the profit the other West teams get when the Wings travel. The CBJ-Wings games I've went to have all been sold out. However, I managed to easily get student tickets to a few CBJ-Blues games this year. I imagine the same thing happens in many West cities- the teams draw more than average when they play the Wings.
It is right too. Wings keep Central Division in it so IMo NHL would not move it.

But the true is Atlanta would not be moved Phoenix is more real.

Old
05-02-2011, 03:45 PM
cbjrocks

It takes 23 votes of the BoG to decided the lunch menu at the league meetings, much less realignment.

Be logical-- if-- and I mean -- if-- there is realignment, who thinks the Wings get 23 votes to move to the east?

Or-- it only takes eight teams to prevent the Wings from moving east.

Bettman brings a lot to the table, but it will come down to a vote. The commish can recommend, but the owners decide.

Old
05-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

Well, Glendale's city council voted last night to subsidize the Coyotes for one more year, which likely means that they're staying put for now.

Now the True North Sports group, which wants to purchase a team and move it to Winnipeg, will almost certainly turn their attention to purchasing the Atlanta Thrashers.

My guess is that within a week we'll know the Thrashers' fate one way or the other, which could potentially set the wheels in motion for a Western team to move to the East. Should be interesting.

Old
05-11-2011, 07:22 AM
blahblah

Jackets lost 25 million last year? /sigh

Will we be changing conferences or cities in 3 or 4 years? Place your bets now.

Old
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrocks View Post
Be logical-- if-- and I mean -- if-- there is realignment, who thinks the Wings get 23 votes to move to the east?

Bettman brings a lot to the table, but it will come down to a vote. The commish can recommend, but the owners decide.
Obviously most Western teams will vote against Detroit moving. They wouldn't want to lose that market.

Old
05-11-2011, 09:48 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrocks View Post
It takes 23 votes of the BoG to decided the lunch menu at the league meetings, much less realignment.

I get the feeling the logic from Eastern teams will be "Who do you want to play 4-6 times a year? Detroit or Columbus?"

...which means we'd probably get a change of scenery. While it sounds like a diss, given our record against the East last year, I'd take that slap in the face.

Old
05-11-2011, 10:46 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

A switch to the East is just the shot in the arm this franchise needs right now.

Old
05-12-2011, 12:03 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Well, Glendale's city council voted last night to subsidize the Coyotes for one more year, which likely means that they're staying put for now.

Now the True North Sports group, which wants to purchase a team and move it to Winnipeg, will almost certainly turn their attention to purchasing the Atlanta Thrashers.

My guess is that within a week we'll know the Thrashers' fate one way or the other, which could potentially set the wheels in motion for a Western team to move to the East. Should be interesting.
So, here's the worst of both worlds scenario for you...

The Thrashers move to Winnipeg. As a result, the Jackets are moved to the East...

but, alas, Phoenix can't find a long-term solution one year from now. They move to Hamilton...and the Eastern Conference with the Jackets being moved back into the Central only a year after a jump to the East.

And, here's another question for those longing for a move to the East--what division do you think we're going to be put it? I don't think the Northeast or Atlantic are likely spots because of the traditional rivalries. Which puts us in the Southleast with Carolina, Tampa and Washington. Not sure (1) that helps much at the gate or (2) that will help much in getting into the playoffs given that Tampa and Washington have the makings of two teams that will be perennial playoff teams for years to come.

Closed Thread