HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Ryan suter is such a difference maker

Old
05-01-2011, 02:35 AM
SK74 Snipes

vCash: 500
Ryan suter is such a difference maker

You can just tell when he decides to take things into his own hands he ALWAYS makes things happen. Take tonight and i believe either game 6 against anaheim, He decides he's going to take it down him self on both of those plays and they both result in HUGE goals for the predators. Most underrated defensemen in the NHL.

SK74 Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 03:12 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I definitely think he had one of his best games of the season tonight. Good hits, got to the puck, good along the boards, great positioning, etc.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:53 AM
GCM
Kesler Did This

I never bought into the "Suter is better than Weber" speak until I started watching more Preds games.

That said, Weber is still a beast so what does that make Suter?

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:13 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
I never bought into the "Suter is better than Weber" speak until I started watching more Preds games.

That said, Weber is still a beast so what does that make Suter?
A demigod.

Suter is just an incredible player to watch - well, for non-casual fans that is. He's so cool and calculated in the way he plays, rarely does he make a mistake. Extreme on ice-intelligence, great vision, excellent positioning. He's made some outlet passes that have left me just shaking my head in disbelief - like the one on the 1-hand Kostitsyn goal. So glad he's on the US of A's side for the Olympics.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 09:44 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

If I was to make a comparison between Weber and Suter,

Weber is Tony Montana, always going blasting away with a big gun. Out working everyone and an emotional guy

Suter is Micheal Corleone. Intellectual always doing the best he can to out-think the opposition and not make a big mistake.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

For those who watched Prison Break:

Ryan Suter is Michael Scofield. Intelligent, outthinks the opposition, knows what to do

Shea Weber is Lincoln Burrows. Big man, goes with his instinct, immense brute force.

Gobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Everlong
-

That play where he plowed one of the sedins into the boards behind our net was phenomenal. I think Weber and Suter are equally as skillful, just in different aspects of the game.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:21 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
That play where he plowed one of the sedins into the boards behind our net was phenomenal. I think Weber and Suter are equally as skillful, just in different aspects of the game.
This...

Totally different skillsets and approaches to the same position and together, they're great.

Weber bowling down 2 players at a time behind the net and Suter smart enough to see it coming and stops and I think he actually ended up with the puck....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:06 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Suter is amazing, hes a joy to watch. Weber is flashier but the little things I always see Suter do just amazes me. We have 2 of the best dmen in the league on our 1st pair. Were lucky to watch those 2 on a nightly basis.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:10 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
If I was to make a comparison between Weber and Suter,

Weber is Tony Montana, always going blasting away with a big gun. Out working everyone and an emotional guy

Suter is Micheal Corleone. Intellectual always doing the best he can to out-think the opposition and not make a big mistake.
damn this is on point.

SilasAdams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Top 6 Spaling

There's a reason this guy wore an A for the USA as a 25 year old. Stud player, very smart, does the little things right. God im glad we have him.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:52 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
I distinctly remember in february 2008 most of the nashville fan base thought Suter was about to be traded and most of us were good with the idea..

so glad Poile runs the team not the fans...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:41 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Suter was almost a bust 4-5 years ago in the eyes of a lot of fans, especially considering the talent taken after him. Would be funny to go back in time and predict that Suter would be arguably the best Dman in the league and Phaneuf would be unwanted in Calgary. The reaction would have been priceless.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:47 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We have a very very very tough fan base in regards to defenseman. Suter and Weber have had pretty meteoric rises as prospects and players. They took very little time to adjust and adapt. Weber came on like a gang-buster, whereas Suter needed an off-season wake-up call. Even with that, Ryan has always been given elevated ice time down the stretch and in the playoffs. His game has simply never been as flashy as some of our other prospects (at the time, see Shea Weber and his gargantuan shot/hits).

05-01-2011, 06:23 PM
glenngineer

I think it's funny that some were unhappy with Suter even as close as a few years ago. People forget it takes time for players to develop. Not everyone walks into the NHL and dominates like an Ovie or Sid. Suter has proven to be the best defenseman of the big 3 taken in 2003 and by a large margin. Poile did right as did Trotz and they took their time with him. It's paying off big time. The Suter/Weber combo is amazing. I'd put them up against pairing in the league. I'd actually put them up against any two d-men in the league as a pairing and dare anyone to come up with two that would make a better pairing than these two.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:01 PM
token grinder

i hope to making these same points in 2 years about wilson. there is a certain maturity you have to have to play for trotz. by mature, i mean game, not juvenile things.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:04 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i hope to making these same points in 2 years about wilson. there is a certain maturity you have to have to play for trotz. by mature, i mean game, not juvenile things.
I agree. Guys take longer to develop in our system for whatever reason. If it leads the player and the team to be better because of it I guess I'm good with it. I'd just love to see someone come in and light it up right away. Then again, I guess a case could be made for Spaling and Halischuk....lol. Great pick ups and team guys.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:30 PM
AL-Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I agree. Guys take longer to develop in our system for whatever reason. If it leads the player and the team to be better because of it I guess I'm good with it. I'd just love to see someone come in and light it up right away. Then again, I guess a case could be made for Spaling and Halischuk....lol. Great pick ups and team guys.
These guys probably HAD to play a more structured defensive oriented game to advance up the hockey food chain, whereas Wilson has always been the go-to man expected to score 1st, then maybe take care of other responsibilities (the other responsibilities are major requirements for playing Trotz's style). I think that is why Wilson will take a little longer to develop these aspects. Spaling and Halischuk have been doing these 'requirements' for a lot longer I'm guessing, so its more natural to them.

AL-Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 03:44 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Spaling and Halischuk were both drafted in 2007. Spaling has been developing in our system the entire time, and Halischuk has been developing in NJ's system. Both are great depth players, and Spaling is awesome on the PK, but I don't think it's really fair to consider either of them the type of player who came in an lit it up right away. They've had time to focus on what their roles should be

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I distinctly remember in february 2008 most of the nashville fan base thought Suter was about to be traded and most of us were good with the idea..

so glad Poile runs the team not the fans...
I was good with the idea too... but then again, Howson was just getting started on his pattern of picking up players I love on other teams (RJ Umberger joined us not too long thereafter) and I figured Suter would be a perfect fit. And as BFC would likely be happy to confirm, I have refused to shut up about it since.

Alas for good GMs.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:28 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The only reason we're going to be able to afford both Suter and Weber is Suter's low-key style. I firmly believe that. The funny thing is, if Suter played a more smashmouth style like Weber I don't think the pairing would be nearly as effective, even if he could still move the puck as well as does.

Ryan Suter is easily a top 5 defenseman in the league, and people don't realize it because he's in Nashville. I think with the Olympics last year and the play off run this year we're going to hear more about both of these guys (but especially Suter) going forward. I just hope that the exposure and the play off run help us negotiate for a discount rather than raising their value higher haha

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:27 PM
SK74 Snipes

The little things that Suter does no one notices but they change the game.

SK74 Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:20 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I was good with the idea too... but then again, Howson was just getting started on his pattern of picking up players I love on other teams (RJ Umberger joined us not too long thereafter) and I figured Suter would be a perfect fit. And as BFC would likely be happy to confirm, I have refused to shut up about it since.

Alas for good GMs.
Yup and you should deal with disappointment.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote