05-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Fighting Saint

vCash: 500

Old
05-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The reason people are cheering his death is because the guy murdered thousands upon thousands of innocent people. He killed fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, with no warning and no discrimination. Not just 9/11, but the USS Cole, bombings of the US embassy, and who knows how many other terrorist acts. Not to mention his ********* terrorist friends murdered thousands of innocent people in the Middle East with suicide bombings. This guy wasn't a Ghandi, or a Nelson Mandela, or some political revolutionary...he was a coward who brainwashed teenagers into killing themselves to kill others because of his psychotic beliefs.

I'm not a political guy anymore but it really is a great accomplishment for the soldiers that got him.

Old
05-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The reason people are cheering his death is because the guy murdered thousands upon thousands of innocent people. He killed fathers, mothers, sons, daughters, with no warning and no discrimination. Not just 9/11, but the USS Cole, bombings of the US embassy, and who knows how many other terrorist acts. Not to mention his ********* terrorist friends murdered thousands of innocent people in the Middle East with suicide bombings. This guy wasn't a Ghandi, or a Nelson Mandela, or some political revolutionary...he was a coward who brainwashed teenagers into killing themselves to kill others because of his psychotic beliefs.

I'm not a political guy anymore but it really is a great accomplishment for the soldiers that got him.
Again, not against it. Its only natural to celebrate a !@#$er for dying.

But its the carnival of things that make me laugh.

Russian philosopher Mikhail Bakhtin said: “an entire system of crooked mirrors elongating, diminishing, distorting in various directions and to various degrees” when describing the thing that "subverts and liberates the assumptions of the dominant style or atmosphere through humor and chaos." He is referring to the term of carnival.

This 180 on our usual respectful view of death is an interesting thing to watch. This is life.

Old
05-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not so much cheering the guy's death as his capture.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:08 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Again, not against it. Its only natural to celebrate a !@#$er for dying.

But its the carnival of things that make me laugh.

Russian philosopher Mikhail Bakhtin said: “an entire system of crooked mirrors elongating, diminishing, distorting in various directions and to various degrees” when describing the thing that "subverts and liberates the assumptions of the dominant style or atmosphere through humor and chaos." He is referring to the term of carnival.

This 180 on our usual respectful view of death is an interesting thing to watch. This is life.
To be fair, no one is really cheering his death. They are cheering that a person who has terrorized our way of life for over 20 years is finally gone.

Old
05-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
To be fair, no one is really cheering his death. They are cheering that a person who has terrorized our way of life for over 20 years is finally gone.
Seeing headlines such as "May he burn in hell for eternity" say differently.

EDITED to avoid political debate...

Last edited by Circulartheory: 05-02-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Old
05-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well to be honest a lot of Americans feel that way. I really can't blame them. Dude murdered thousands of innocent people, and for those who believe in hell, he's probably deserving. By that same token, I can't believe any actual newspaper would print that as a headline. Maybe an opinion piece, but even the running joke which is American journalism isn't that bad.

Just to be clear, you're not an American, right? 9/11 was a pretty emotional time for most of us...and he was the one responsible. A lot of people went off to war because of Bin Laden and had their lives disrupted. A lot of people's friends and family were hugely affected.

I think a big part as well is that Americans have spent most of the last decade fighting amongst themselves after being briefly united after 9/11. Politics is so hugely (and unnecessarily IMO, but I stress IMO) divisive. I mean with the Iraq War we had lots of people burning effigies of George Bush in the US and have people going nuts about Obama as well. The Bin Laden death puts some closure to that wound and 99.99% of Americans saw him as a truly evil person. So it's kind of cool to see Americans showing a little pride and unity, just from one person's view.

Old
05-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well to be honest a lot of Americans feel that way. I really can't blame them. Dude murdered thousands of innocent people, and for those who believe in hell, he's probably deserving. By that same token, I can't believe any actual newspaper would print that as a headline. Maybe an opinion piece, but even the running joke which is American journalism isn't that bad.

Just to be clear, you're not an American, right? 9/11 was a pretty emotional time for most of us...and he was the one responsible. A lot of people went off to war because of Bin Laden and had their lives disrupted. A lot of people's friends and family were hugely affected.

I think a big part as well is that Americans have spent most of the last decade fighting amongst themselves after being briefly united after 9/11. Politics is so hugely (and unnecessarily IMO, but I stress IMO) divisive. I mean with the Iraq War we had lots of people burning effigies of George Bush in the US and have people going nuts about Obama as well. The Bin Laden death puts some closure to that wound and 99.99% of Americans saw him as a truly evil person. So it's kind of cool to see Americans showing a little pride and unity, just from one person's view.
Correct. I am not American. But I guess I am just expressing my thinking on the response. I find it funny.

I'm the type of person who would crack a smile if I saw a homeless man in pink tank top or if I saw one leafless tree in a forest.

Seeing contrasts in life is what makes life interesting. In this case, this turn of social ideals is rather interesting to watch. That's all. Not for or against anything really. Just stating my interest

Old
05-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
This is not a personal post against you, but I find that point funny, cos what is USA doing in Iraq and Afganistan if not terrorising peoples' way of life there? So Bush's death can be celebrated (and it will be somewhere) freely with exactly the same reasoning. And "your"way of life, "freedom" is kind of "virtual", what if you wouldn't go to work tomorrow, or day after that, you get fired, you're unemployed, no one wants to take you for work anymore and thats freedom? Right.

Old
05-02-2011, 06:26 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Well, I think everyone has got their views in on the subject by now. This was a big news headline and while it's something that I think is healthy to discuss, further discussion will just continue to go down the political path.

With that in mind, I've decided to close down this thread. For the most part, we're here to discuss the Wild. If you want to further the discussion on this matter, there's plenty of venues to do that. Thanks for everyone's understanding. This is an extremely sensitive news story and topic that, quite frankly, is a never ending discussion that doesn't have much place here in the long run.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay

Last edited by this providence: 05-02-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Closed Thread