HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Put in JP, maybe O'reilly

Old
05-02-2011, 04:33 PM
dulzhok

vCash: 500
Put in JP, maybe O'reilly

To win this series, we are going to have to create and capitalize more on offense.

JP is by far the best statistical playoff player we have.

In his 6 minutes of ice time (x2 games), he has already shown he still has his playoff mojo. He provided a nice screen on Weber's game tying goal in game 5. He had a great assist to Sully in game 6. Without Dumont, we might not have got by the Ducks.

We can't score worth a flip vs Vancover and the PP is terrible. Please, put in our best playoff producer.

I would also consider putting in O'Reilly over Geofferion, primarily for the PP. Legwand and Fisher don't belong the PP. We have GOT to convert on some PP goals, and I think O'Reilly and JP would boost our chances and creativity.

Sit Geofferion first; Halischuk second (as unpopular as that will be right now).

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

I'd be willing to put in Dumont but not Oreilly. Geoffrion so far has earned his keep and hasn't done anything wrong to lose his spot and Oreilly hasn't play a game in how long? I like continuing with a winning lineup but I'll concede we clearly need some extra offense from somewhere. I'd take Sullivan out for Dumont. I love Stevey, but he is being seriously outmatched in terms of physical play (seems to avoid it at times), and he doesn't have the wheels he once had.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 04:57 PM
dulzhok

JP and Sully have chemistry. But yeah, I'd probably still put in JP over Sully at this stage.

Geoffrion may have earned his keep, but Dumont is the one with .7ppg in the playoffs. THAT is earning your playoff keep.

O'Reilly-- can't speak anything to his health and playing ability-- that's up to coaches to determine. But Geofferion's 7 minutes a game could be offset by the loss in PP time from Legwand/Fisher. Our PP needs a center with some offensive creativity and we do have one sitting in the press box.

Old
05-02-2011, 05:03 PM
SilasAdams

ahem Wilson ahem

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
I'd be willing to put in Dumont but not Oreilly. Geoffrion so far has earned his keep and hasn't done anything wrong to lose his spot and Oreilly hasn't play a game in how long? I like continuing with a winning lineup but I'll concede we clearly need some extra offense from somewhere. I'd take Sullivan out for Dumont. I love Stevey, but he is being seriously outmatched in terms of physical play (seems to avoid it at times), and he doesn't have the wheels he once had.
...yeah, I'd go with this as well.

That and I want to reflexively bench the next guy who turns over the puck in the neutral zone.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:09 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
as happy as i am with Halischuks goal I want JP in his place in nashville when we control the matchups.

leave Sully in as well.

geoffrion is looking like a rookie at times but Oreilly is SO rusty I dont think he'd be an upgrade for at least a couple of games and thats time we do not have.

With hals scoring the GWG I know he doesnt get benched but thats what I think would be best for us... and if we lose and dont score tomorrow i think it will happen but as long as we win i dont care.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:09 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
like continuing with a winning lineup but I'll concede we clearly need some extra offense from somewhere.
We're 2-0 with JP in the lineup. 3-3 without him. Easily could've been 2-4 without Pekka's OT heroics.

I know Wilson hasn't played much at center, but I'd consider as well. Heck, if we do keep in Geoffrion, at least give him a shot on the PP. Can't be any worse than what we've seen.

Old
05-02-2011, 05:27 PM
PredaDORES
**** you Dale Tallon

Watching Sullivan shy away from any kind of physical contact is so frustrating to me. I honestly think we would be better off with Wilson playing Sullivan's minutes, who is currently getting less than 10 minutes per game. I know we all get frustrated that Wilson doesn't use his huge frame to its potential, but at least he doesn't avoid contact at all costs.

PredaDORES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:45 PM
deanwormer

Trying to fit JP in right now is tough. If MH could skate as a C you could probably sit BG; just don't know how you sit the guy that had the game-winner. SK has been brutal the last 2 , Ward not much better, but we're obviously not sitting them. Really, JP for Sully is probably right, but those old guys do have some chemistry, even if they don't have much left in the tank.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If Sully is in the lineup, I think JP should be in it as well. Otherwise, I would roll with Wilson-Geoffrion-Halischuk

05-02-2011, 07:21 PM
glenngineer

Are we really crazy to talk about changing the lineup? We've given up 2 goals to the highest scoring team in the NHL. As much as I'd like to create offense, I wouldn't do it at the expense of our defense. We have a better chance winning low scoring games than high scoring ones against Vancouver. And anyone who wants to sit Halischuk needs their head examined and it has nothing to do with the game winner. He's one guy that brings it every shift. He plays the 4th line and he's played the 2nd line with Ward and Legwand when Erat went out and handled himself just fine. I don't see how we sit the guy. If Trotz is willing to push him that high up on the depth chart when we have an injury that says something.

We have some good mojo going. Until we need to change something we stay with the status quo. Realize, we outhit, won more faceoffs, outshot and basically outplayed Vancouver the other night. Why would we want to change any of that at this point? And does anyone want to see what Burrows might do to Dumont again? I certainly don't. I love JP and would love to see him play but not at the expense of the 12 forwards we currently have going.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:10 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK All Day View Post
ahem Wilson ahem
I say scratch Geoffrion and Sully and put in Wilson and Dumont. O'reilly is to much of a risk since he hasnt played in so long.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:28 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Realize, we outhit, won more faceoffs, outshot and basically outplayed Vancouver the other night. Why would we want to change any of that at this point?
Simple-- even outhitting, outshooting, and outplaying Vancouver (in regulation), our offense still only managed one lucky goal. That's why you consider putting in your best playoff point producer.

As for this "group of 12"... Dumont was in the lineup for the biggest games last series and made big things happen in his 6 minutes. This group of 12 was also the group that did absolutely nothing in game one.

There's not a 'reason' to sit anyone in our current lineup, but there is reason to put in JP.

Old
05-02-2011, 08:33 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Simple-- even outhitting, outshooting, and outplaying Vancouver (in regulation), our offense still only managed one lucky goal. That's why you consider putting in your best playoff point producer.

As for this "group of 12"... Dumont was in the lineup for the biggest games last series and made big things happen in his 6 minutes. This group of 12 was also the group that did absolutely nothing in game one.

There's not a 'reason' to sit anyone in our current lineup, but there is reason to put in JP.
So who would you sit?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:59 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredaDORES View Post
Watching Sullivan shy away from any kind of physical contact is so frustrating to me. I honestly think we would be better off with Wilson playing Sullivan's minutes, who is currently getting less than 10 minutes per game. I know we all get frustrated that Wilson doesn't use his huge frame to its potential, butp at least he doesn't avoid contact at all costs.
In this series the last thing we need is wilsons matador defense. I think colin is not going to play again unless(God forbid) we have multiple injuries. He will take the bitter taste of being scratched like this and either work his butt off this summer on his weaknesses or he will sulk his way right out of the organization. Im betting on the former.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:01 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

i agree that we dont need to juggle the lineup.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:03 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So who would you sit?
It's a hard question.... I think I sit Geoffion and move MH to center the 4th line.

Also, give Dumont some of SK and/or Ward's icetime. SK needs a wake-up call.

I wouldn't rule out sitting Sully. And maybe Halishuck down the road-- If he can ride a hot hand, great. If not, put in the proven hand.

Old
05-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
The unfortunate reality is the Sullivan is an alternate captain and team leader. It's HIGHLY unlikely that he is removed from the lineup unless he tells Trotz to take him out. That's just the reality of pro sports, the makeup of the team, and how things work. It's not fair, it's not right, and it might even handicap our team, but that's simply how it's going to be...

As for removing Geoffrion, I've actually thought that he's really been turning a corner here in this series and think that with every game that goes by he grows a little more. Against Anaheim we saw him go to the net and get tested physically, he stood in there and pushed back. Against Vancouver he's been very dangerous offensively for as little time as he's gotten, but hasn't hit the back of the net yet. I think if you keep Geoffrion in the lineup you will see results sooner, rather than later.

Halischuk is not coming out of the lineup either. As he said in an interview yesterday, he plays every game as if it's a tryout because ultimately that's what it is for him. Matt is living in Sullivan's basement. He's a quiet guy. But on the ice, Matt Halischuk brings it. He's always going all out and never takes a shift off. He does the little things and gets rewarded occasionally with a big goal. For 4th line duty, I don't think there's a better fit right now and as he's shown throughout the season, he can move up the lineup to fill a short term need and experience success as well.

Dumont and Wilson have a common theme. They don't skate well.

JP has the edge on Wilson because of experience, but also because of savvy. It's not uncommon for JP to move into position to be dangerous away from the puck and he's not a slouch defensively either.

Wilson is sitting because he's not giving it everything he can. He takes shifts off. He relies too much on skill and not enough on effort. He gets lost away from the puck and stands around and watches. JVR had similar issues in Philly too, but he sat, learned, and is now tied for the league lead in playoff goal scoring. Let's hope Colin follows in that footprint.

Cal just got a bad break and is back to the same spot he was in last season. He is a "black ace" for the playoffs and is currently battling a minor injury. He's not getting in unless we experience some major injury issues...so let's hope to see him again next season at the earliest!

I'm keeping the lineup the same for Game 3...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:31 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
As for removing Geoffrion, I've actually thought that he's really been turning a corner here in this series and think that with every game that goes by he grows a little more.
I agree he's doing fine and 'growing' but we need score some freakin' goals. Meanwhile, our most proven playoff producer is in the press box. Yes, the same guy that helped us win games 5 and 6 against Anaheim in limited ice time.

I agree that Sully won't be benched for the reasons you listed. To me, that's all the more reason to put in JP-- he makes Sully more effective.

Old
05-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Can't see your coach making any line up changes at all unless there was an injury. In reading your posts, and following through periods of the posts this season, I can't believe you are all saying Geoffrion is "holding his own" or whatever other wording you want to use.
He is a rookie, and has made some horendous rookie mistakes in the defensive end. They have not resulted in a goal, but very well could have/should have. This has consistently happened. Last game alone there were times (2) that he just threw the puck up, only to have a Canuck have it hit the tape, and once where he was carrying it out of the zone and got stripped at the blue line.
I am not trying to be critical because he is a rookie, but come on.

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:32 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I don't want to come off as being argumentative for the sake of it here, but we came into the play offs with a, while hot at the time, streaky offense. We put pucks in the net against Anaheim enough to win the series, but they had terrible defense and goaltending. Now we're playing the only team who allowed fewer goals than we did. They also scored the most goals in the league. I'd love it if we could find a way to chip in three or four goals per game the rest of the way, but I just don't think we can do it against this team. Even if we could, we've seen the Preds completely get away from defensive responsibility when they start producing 3+ per night.

I'm with those who say stand pat for now. Keep the same line up. Keep the same style. It's working. We stole home ice advantage, and we're coming back home after playing a pretty good game. We're still in good shape. I'd be more worried if I were a Canucks fan watching my team only score one goal in each game. As a Nashville fan I guess I'm used to it

This is our game though. Low score. Tight checking. Stay in their faces. Force them to outwork us along the boards and in front of the net to win. I like our chances if we can keep doing the things that got us here (and that won us a game Saturday)

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:04 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The unfortunate reality is the Sullivan is an alternate captain and team leader. It's HIGHLY unlikely that he is removed from the lineup unless he tells Trotz to take him out. That's just the reality of pro sports, the makeup of the team, and how things work. It's not fair, it's not right, and it might even handicap our team, but that's simply how it's going to be...

As for removing Geoffrion, I've actually thought that he's really been turning a corner here in this series and think that with every game that goes by he grows a little more. Against Anaheim we saw him go to the net and get tested physically, he stood in there and pushed back. Against Vancouver he's been very dangerous offensively for as little time as he's gotten, but hasn't hit the back of the net yet. I think if you keep Geoffrion in the lineup you will see results sooner, rather than later.

Halischuk is not coming out of the lineup either. As he said in an interview yesterday, he plays every game as if it's a tryout because ultimately that's what it is for him. Matt is living in Sullivan's basement. He's a quiet guy. But on the ice, Matt Halischuk brings it. He's always going all out and never takes a shift off. He does the little things and gets rewarded occasionally with a big goal. For 4th line duty, I don't think there's a better fit right now and as he's shown throughout the season, he can move up the lineup to fill a short term need and experience success as well.

Dumont and Wilson have a common theme. They don't skate well.

JP has the edge on Wilson because of experience, but also because of savvy. It's not uncommon for JP to move into position to be dangerous away from the puck and he's not a slouch defensively either.

Wilson is sitting because he's not giving it everything he can. He takes shifts off. He relies too much on skill and not enough on effort. He gets lost away from the puck and stands around and watches. JVR had similar issues in Philly too, but he sat, learned, and is now tied for the league lead in playoff goal scoring. Let's hope Colin follows in that footprint.

Cal just got a bad break and is back to the same spot he was in last season. He is a "black ace" for the playoffs and is currently battling a minor injury. He's not getting in unless we experience some major injury issues...so let's hope to see him again next season at the earliest!

I'm keeping the lineup the same for Game 3...
Good post.

Halischuk and Geofferion bring way to much effort to let them sit. Our offense problem shouldnt be a surprise but on the other side i feel like Luongo has found his stride this series. We tested him and he answered we just have to keep firing shots on him, and out defend them, thats our game. Don't see why anyone is panicking already, besides the 1st 2 periods of game 1, we have played pretty good this series. Expecting the rest of this series to be an epic battle. Looking forward to game 3!

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:20 PM
cleangene

Sk, Horns, Eeeeeeeeeeeee - Make Yourselves Known Tuesday, And Make This Thread History.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:38 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
Good post.

Halischuk and Geofferion bring way to much effort to let them sit. Our offense problem shouldnt be a surprise but on the other side i feel like Luongo has found his stride this series. We tested him and he answered we just have to keep firing shots on him, and out defend them, thats our game. Don't see why anyone is panicking already, besides the 1st 2 periods of game 1, we have played pretty good this series. Expecting the rest of this series to be an epic battle. Looking forward to game 3!
No one is panicking, just looking for ways to win. Scoring .5 goals a game will not result in winning the series. SOMETHING has to change offensively. Maybe that change happens from the existing group of 12, but you have to at least consider putting in your most proven playoff producer to help score goals. One who's already shown this offseason he still has it.

The OT victory was great and we are in a nice position having the series tied up. But there is absolutely no room for complacency. We could have easily lost in OT if not for Rinne, and things would look quite different right now.

The great right now-- Rinne
The good-- Team defense, PK
The very bad-- ability to score goals (.5gpg)
The horrific-- the powerplay
The mixed-- Effort in Game 1 vs Game2

Old
05-02-2011, 11:39 PM
luongo321

Why is JP Dumont not playing? I used to always have him and Arnott ( i know he's not on the preds anymore) on my yahoo fantasy team.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote