HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECSF|Game 2|Washington Capitals vs Tampa Bay Lightning|05.01.11|7pm

Old
05-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Atlas

vCash: 500
The Caps are still in it. Game 3 puts the necks of McPhee and Boudreau under the guillotine blade. If they win, great. If they lose I can't imagine the team lifting their spirits enough for Game 4 and a series come back.

I like the drama.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:41 PM
binary0x01

Send a message via ICQ to binary0x01 Send a message via Yahoo to binary0x01
Bad luck that's all.

Too many bounces that 'almost' went in, at key times.

They'll figure it out.

They have to.

binary0x01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:42 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
442 with the next gdt please.
Haven't even seen him around.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:49 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

I made a GDT that was successful right around (one game before.) 442's run. Just sayin.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:51 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Please don't quote trolls.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:56 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I get annoyed on the PP with the no look passes onto a guys backhand. Ovi laboring up and down the ice with nary a quality scoring chance. No PP2 to speak of, not even really attempted.

I want Semin to do that backwards pass moving laterally behind the net. Notice Arnott was ready for that and got a sweet tap for a primary. Reunite Laich Arnott Semin.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:00 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Enormous line:

Ovechkin-Arnott-Knuble

Proven playoff line:

Laich-Backstrom-Semin

The Rest:

Sturm-Johansson-Fehr

Chimera-Gordon-Bradley

Old
05-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Notice how on Philly's 2nd goal within 10 minutes of their game, they've got TWO guys in front of the net on their PP. Two. The Caps don't even have one. That's the difference.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

Boston's goal: Kelly driving to the net at 100mph.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:10 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I get annoyed on the PP with the no look passes onto a guys backhand. Ovi laboring up and down the ice with nary a quality scoring chance. No PP2 to speak of, not even really attempted.

I want Semin to do that backwards pass moving laterally behind the net. Notice Arnott was ready for that and got a sweet tap for a primary. Reunite Laich Arnott Semin.
i see what you dont like. what do you like? how would you configure the power play and a pp2?

btw....there were ten capitals with between 3:45(carlson) and 7:43(ovechkin) in power play time. Ovechkin, Backstrom, Laich and Green were between 6:30 and 7:45 in pp time. Fehr, Knuble, Semin, and Arnott had between 4:30 and 5:30. I am wondering why Fehr and Laich are playing more than Knuble and Semin, but thats just me.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:26 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

A OK line seems a bit slow to me. How many goals have they potted as a line?

It seems like a problem on the PP is the passing of our point men. They are the big guns and they get a lot of pressure real quick. We need movement, guys cutting to the net. We half ass screen and try no movement. When you have screeners, we cant lollygag with the puck up top, its pointless. Watching those two puck fumble err handle at the top of the umbrella plays into that the PK wants to do. Pressure our big guns. I almost feel like we need to tell everyone, when Semin passes it to you, shoot it. He is our best passer. Maybe we need to try him somewhere else, behind the goal line. I dunno.

I want movement. I want basic crisp passing. I want OV tried off the point and a passer up there instead. I want Holmstrom grade screens. No flinching.

Old
05-02-2011, 07:36 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The Caps could have 6 guys in front of the net, and it wouldn't matter. They don't get shots through.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:43 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

OMG I got it. We should try and do their play on them. The guy in the slot, Stamkos I think it was. Copy it as best as possible.

TXPD, take a stab at who you think you last saw on PP2.

I want to see Carlson get PP time one way or another. Work the screen, and tell him to not over think it, just get it to the net. He has a way of getting shots through.

Another thing to try, move our big guns off the point. They dont pass well and get played to shoot so of course they get blocked. Move them or try someone else. Try Arnott.

Old
05-02-2011, 08:39 PM
txpd

the caps were using ovechkin and green and carlson and arnott at the points. ovechkin is a big gun. would you use green somewhere else?

question: other than ovechkin who do the caps have to shoot from the point that the pk respects enough to try an take his shot away? just him. if you move him down low then the pk packs down against him as they dont respect the other shooters.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:59 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

If they are packing in down low, isn't that = traffic in front of the net?

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the caps were using ovechkin and green and carlson and arnott at the points. ovechkin is a big gun. would you use green somewhere else?

question: other than ovechkin who do the caps have to shoot from the point that the pk respects enough to try an take his shot away? just him. if you move him down low then the pk packs down against him as they dont respect the other shooters.
Well maybe the problem is that the Capitals don't respect the defense's response to that enough. Exploit the fact that the defense expects Ovechkin's shot instead of trying to force it through. Strategy. Still not apparently Boudreau's strong suit.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:13 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

1) Green's shot from the point is average at best. The only benefit to having him there is the backdoor pass and the book is out on that one. There's no reason for him to play the point.

2) Arnott is one of the best left point men of all time. Even at this point in his career, he's probably got the best point shot on the team.

Old
05-02-2011, 09:58 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Good stuff Chimaera

Somehow, in the old days of playoff hockey, there were no ticky tack penalty's called in the playoffs, ever. Save when Mario would biotch and moan. The game was better, flat out more entertaining, the players giving it their ALL, without worry of some cheese ball Knuble game 7 washout on a phantom call because of a dive and knee jerk emotional over reaction by the ref. They should have called Halak for diving. The refs let the players decide the game. And at the end of each series, no players or fans every complained. Besides Pepe. The series were settled by the players alone. Now, sometimes you get the ref that buries the whistle, other times its a parade to the box. The players have no idea what to expect. I still hate the two ref system. That back ref calling crap from behind the play rarely makes the correct call. And I think the two ref system makes it twice as likely some lame duck call gets made. They pressure each other and are never in perfect unison. Unless they bury both the whistles. And they are always in the way of the cycle.
Great post and man I miss the old NHL. The refs are just awful. As for Tampa Bay, I give them credit for their wins and I think Boucher is coaching them well. As for a better team, of course the Caps do. When it comes to playing well, Tampa Bay is playing better. It isn't TB fault we can't do basic things like line change. Hell, we had issues all year with offsides. I thought my rage with last night's loss was over, but I'm still boiling. I tell myself every year not to let it get to me, but good grief it gets frustrating. We had plenty of chances to execute and we can't say we didn't have our PP chances. What really frustrates me the most is these YOUNG caps haven't learned much after four straight playoffs. I can say yeah we have lots of rookies, but that is regular season excuses. I'm going to be severely ticked if we let in another goal off our defensemen. Here's a clue to the coaching staff and players, don't let them get near the crease, throw pucks towards it, and for crying out loud don't make blueline passes in the offensive zone. In the playoffs it is garbage goals that win, not fancy highlight stuff. I am not worried about tomorrow, but this stupid back to back game thing I am worried about.

Go Caps!

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:14 PM
sycamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary0x01 View Post
Bad luck that's all.

Too many bounces that 'almost' went in, at key times.

They'll figure it out.

They have to.
It was bad luck that knocked them out the Habs series last year, too. I mean, do you remember how many quality chances Semin had last year against Halak, and couldn't cash in on a single one?

It makes you wonder who/what is actually on trial in this series: the Capitals/Boudreau/MchPee, or the game of hockey itself? If the nature of the game is to reward luck and fortunate breaks over hard work, courage and skill, I'm not sure I can be a fan of the game for much longer.

sycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Burgh32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The Caps could have 6 guys in front of the net, and it wouldn't matter. They don't get shots through.
I wish the blocked shots stat was more accurate from arena to arena and game to game. I'd really like to see how they stack up on the blocked shots against column. It sure feels like they have all kinds of trouble getting shots through where other teams don't.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:44 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh32 View Post
I wish the blocked shots stat was more accurate from arena to arena and game to game. I'd really like to see how they stack up on the blocked shots against column. It sure feels like they have all kinds of trouble getting shots through where other teams don't.
Lightning fan coming in peace. There is a lot of truth to this statement, Pittsburgh was getting tons of shots through. But with you guys, we've been able to block a lot of shots.

Rschmitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:44 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
You mean a PP laden with talent he couldn't get to work last year? Good luck. They don't listen to him. It's obvious what successful teams do: they skate, dump the puck, win battles, screen the goalie.

The **** isn't rocket science.

As for winning the Cup being "unlikely" with any coach. That's a mentality born out of year's of watching them lose. They have had the talent for quite some time to make lengthy runs at it and have routinely flamed out.

They wouldn't automatically win it with Laviolette, Trotz, Vigneault, Bylsma or Babcock, but they'd damn sure look better than they do now.
Not really...it's reality.

The rest is all your opinion....hell....for all we know Scotty Bowman couldn't win a Cup with this team.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuddle View Post
If the nature of the game is to reward luck and fortunate breaks over hard work, courage and skill, I'm not sure I can be a fan of the game for much longer.

Bad luck is emphatically not what's at work here.

Old
05-02-2011, 11:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Bad luck is emphatically not what's at work here.
Just feels like it a lot of times.....when you're a Caps fan.....sigh.....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Just feels like it a lot of times.....when you're a Caps fan.....sigh.....

I think that's just our coping mechanism. We've had many good teams--never a great team.