HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Two Days Off Thread

Old
05-01-2011, 03:34 PM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Well this two day break couldn't come at a better time. Especially after a double overtime game. The guys have got to be feeling pretty burnt out right now.

Key plot-lines in the next two days :

1. Samuelsson. He's really arseing things up out there. Get him away from the Sedins, off the PP...if this is the best he can do, he really should not be in the lineup. The fact that Hansen was on the top line shows that AV agrees. We'll see how he responds to two days off, maybe his injury can heal up a little. Looks like he has something pretty major though. Can't remember the last time I saw him take a shot.

2. Practice lines. Does Hodgson draw in somewhere? I really want to see him get a shot with the Sedins. For one, he can't be worse than Sammy. Secondly, he might be dynamite - smart player with a good shot.

3. Luongo mental rest. The past week has been really tough on him. Getting out of town could be really good for him on many levels. No history in Nashville, it's got to be nice weather, he should hopefully be energized. He has been great the past three games but against Rinne, he's going to have to be at the very top of his game.

4. Weeding out the overreactors in our fanbase. After every loss, and even after most wins, we see the same people freaking out. We're tied in the second round against a beatable opponent, and there are plenty of people here who would trade the Sedins for peanuts, start Schneider, and rebuild like the Oilers. There is still debate here about how the Canucks "choked" against Chicago...some people just see what they want to see, and two days to freak out about a loss will probably bring out the crazies. Love the ignore list this time of year.

5. Sami Salo! Once again it's playoff time and noone knows if he'll available. We've seen this story before..like every year in the playoffs! The Dallas series he got slewfooted and was garbage vs Anaheim, the first Chicago series it was the upperbody strain from blasting a point shot goal, the second he got hit in the nuts, this year it's some mysterious lower body injury...it's a bit of joke but pretty disappointing he's so undependable. Anyways it is conceivable that he makes it back for game 3.

6. The rest of the bottom pairing guys. Rome is not very good. I think we can all agree on that by now. Well except the coaching staff. How about Alberts next game if Salo is hurt? He played okay against Chicago, let him play again.

7. The Hodgson debate. It's going to be pretty big the next two days. I predict a poll, a bunch of articles from the local media, and lots of line combinations being thrown around. Based on the first two games I'd like to see Hodgson and Tambellini in for a game in favour of Samuelsson and Glass. That gives us one more center, and two offensive players. Why not try it for a game?

Anyways it's going to be quiet around here for the next day or so, with lots of lame posting from the negative nancies, so I hope the level headed folks choose to share their thoughts in here.

Go Nucks!
Which of these five points is not negative, Nancy?

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:13 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
I would agree, and I think that's what is frustrating...watching them put in a half assed effort when they have the ability to do more.

I can only recall a couple of hits tonight. Compare that to the Chicago series where every game there were big hits...well, every game except for the blowouts, which is the same type of effort we got for 3 periods tonight.

If they played hard from beginning to end and came up short, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But, to watch them turn it on in overtime after seemingly sleepwalking through the majority of the game is inexcusable.
I think that has more to do with fatigue and the wear down of the Chicago series with no break in between the next series. An extra day here in between game 2 and 3 should really help the boys. I figure to see a lot more skating and energy from the team in the next one.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Jyrki21
Benning ≠ Benign

I feel some people forget that scoring dips in the playoffs. If the Canucks played 82 regular season games against Nashville, they (a) would not go 82-0 as seems to be the only acceptable outcome here without their effort being questioned, or (b) scored nearly as much as they did. Why is everyone so surprised?

Jyrki21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Which of these five points is not negative, Nancy?

Although they are not all negative, there is a certain "ironic" quality to a few of them. But hey, that's the beauty of perception. Really this could have gone in the Nashville game 3 thread.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 05-01-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 07:39 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

I predict game 3 to be higher scoring.

Nashville coming off a high going into their home building.

Canucks coming off a disappointing effort in game 2 where they were obviously tired.

I think given all of this it should be a good game. I expect Canucks to throw everything at Rinne like crazy.

05-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

Please, no more Rome. Put in Alberts and get back to finishing our checks.

I'm definitely believing Henrik has some kind of upper body injury. He seems like he's protecting himself. He's not strong on the puck any more, playing timid and losing most of his faceoffs. He's only 39%. That's just not acceptable for our #1 center. How can we get pressure on the offensive zone face offs if he is losing most of them?

Let them play together in the 1st period and if we still can't score, put Kesler in the top line with Daniel and Burrows. Put Samuelson, Henrik and Higgins on the second line. We need a scoring punch.

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:37 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
I feel some people forget that scoring dips in the playoffs. If the Canucks played 82 regular season games against Nashville, they (a) would not go 82-0 as seems to be the only acceptable outcome here without their effort being questioned, or (b) scored nearly as much as they did. Why is everyone so surprised?
We should be scoring more than we have been. There are 5 players or so that should have 2-3 more goals than they do have.

Nashville's gonna be jacked tomorrow, and that's gonna work in our favour. Remember when we played the Ducks and Red Wings in the playoffs?

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 08:40 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
We should be scoring more than we have been. There are 5 players or so that should have 2-3 more goals than they do have.

Nashville's gonna be jacked tomorrow, and that's gonna work in our favour. Remember when we played the Ducks and Red Wings in the playoffs?
I remember losing.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
AbsolutCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
I find it highly amusing how some people genuinely expect us to steamroll to the cup with every series being a sweep or a 5 game series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
Is this team ALLOWED to lose a game without half their fanbase turning on them? It's ridiculous to expect a team that just finished a highly emotional seven game series to not show some sign of fatigue, or to (!) not lose a game again on their way to the Cup.

They'll lose a game or two. It's not the Sign of the Apocalypse. Nobody goes 16-0.

I haven't seen a single post here expecting nothing but short series.
I don't even think I've seen a post here expecting a series loss to Nashville.
I haven't seen anybody here "turning" on the team, unless critical thinking constitutes turning, in which case the best fans surely reside in special needs institutions.
But I have seen posts (seriously) questioning whether we are playing well enough in these playoffs to win the Cup, which is the point after all, seems like a kindof reasonable topic for discussion. If you didnt want such discussion, why are you here.
Respectfully.

AbsolutCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:23 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutCam View Post
I haven't seen a single post here expecting nothing but short series.
I don't even think I've seen a post here expecting a series loss to Nashville.
I haven't seen anybody here "turning" on the team, unless critical thinking constitutes turning, in which case the best fans surely reside in special needs institutions.
But I have seen posts (seriously) questioning whether we are playing well enough in these playoffs to win the Cup, which is the point after all, seems like a kindof reasonable topic for discussion. If you didnt want such discussion, why are you here.
Respectfully.
Hey, I WELCOME a discussion. It just irritates me that ONE LOSS brings out the idiots who want to sit Luongo, demote Hank to the third line, and blow up the team in the offseason. NOBODY goes 16-0, but to some "fans", that's the expectation. Let's discuss that. Is it even remotely reasonable? I'm not wearing rose-coloured glasses or an inveterate fanboy. My favourite team is not perfect. Somebody else's favourite team isn't terrible. Why is it so hard for some Canucks fans to accept that a Nashville fan is right when he says his team is CAPABLE of beating our team? Without our team being turned on by the very same people who scramble back on the bandwagon at the next stop?

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:35 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
Hey, I WELCOME a discussion. It just irritates me that ONE LOSS brings out the idiots who want to sit Luongo, demote Hank to the third line, and blow up the team in the offseason.
To be fair, the team lost 4 of the last 6 playoff games, and played like garbage in 3 of them. That's an unsettling trend, and I can see where the questions are coming from. Obviously no team goes 16-0, and rough patches are to be expected, but you can count me amongst the people who wonder if the Canucks are a legitimate threat to win the cup given how inconsistent their effort level has been during this post season.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 01:05 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedGuppy View Post
To be fair, the team lost 4 of the last 6 playoff games, and played like garbage in 3 of them. That's an unsettling trend, and I can see where the questions are coming from. Obviously no team goes 16-0, and rough patches are to be expected, but you can count me amongst the people who wonder if the Canucks are a legitimate threat to win the cup given how inconsistent their effort level has been during this post season.

This.

Bravo. Put it much better than I ever could. There's a game to game critique that goes on here. Some fans get high, some low. But when you take the sample size of the playoffs to date, and you make some sort of assertion (what you have done) that may seem negative, but is in fact formulating a projection --> People will flip out.

As long as the team is still in the post-season, and able to avert epic collapses, no negativity will be tolerated. It get's chalked up to hysteria because some fans can't come to terms with it. Not while the team is still in the running.

This team is playing different than it did in the regular season. I mean, it's base strengths are not carrying over. It's clear as day to see. But there is still a possibility for them to put it all together. They're still alive. They have a chance.

One can look at the current team, with what we have seen to date, and make a projection about their cup hopes. However, should they regain their previous form, where Henrik and Kesler get going, and Edler solidifies the D, then it will mark a significant shift in this team's "playoff form". If that happens, who knows where this team can go? As it stands though, they're too inconsistent (as you stated).

Old
05-03-2011, 02:09 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
This.

Bravo. Put it much better than I ever could. There's a game to game critique that goes on here. Some fans get high, some low. But when you take the sample size of the playoffs to date, and you make some sort of assertion (what you have done) that may seem negative, but is in fact formulating a projection --> People will flip out.

As long as the team is still in the post-season, and able to avert epic collapses, no negativity will be tolerated. It get's chalked up to hysteria because some fans can't come to terms with it. Not while the team is still in the running.

This team is playing different than it did in the regular season. I mean, it's base strengths are not carrying over. It's clear as day to see. But there is still a possibility for them to put it all together. They're still alive. They have a chance.

One can look at the current team, with what we have seen to date, and make a projection about their cup hopes. However, should they regain their previous form, where Henrik and Kesler get going, and Edler solidifies the D, then it will mark a significant shift in this team's "playoff form". If that happens, who knows where this team can go? As it stands though, they're too inconsistent (as you stated).
The funny thing is that over the last 4 games we've never trailed and yet we're 2-2 in those 4 games. Out of those 4 games 3 of them were really strong games and even game 2 wasn't that bad expect for a poor 3rd period. Even that poor 3rd period has to be credited to the Predators playing real well and real desperate. Despite all of that if Rinne didn't turn into god in overtime that series is 2-0 going to Nashville.

Sure the team hasn't been as dominating as they were during the regular season but we've also playing two really good teams.

I would argue that Chicago was the 4th best team in the West while Nashville IMO is the 5th best team in the West. When you play teams that are that good you have to expect them to push back and not just bend over either.

I'm happy to see that there was an extra day break here in this series and hopefully it gives the team a chance to recover a bit and get their **** together. I totally agree that something does seem to be missing however if you take out the two **** games in round one (game 4 and 5) we have been somewhat unlucky to only be 2-2 over the last four games.

Think of it this way as well. What team in the playoffs has had an easy time so far??

Tampa was down 3-1 to Pittsburgh, Boston was down 2-0 to Montreal and had to win game 7 in OT, Washington is down 2-0 to Tampa right now, Philly is down 2-0 to Boston right now and barely survived the first round.

San Jose is 4-0 in OT so far and barely got by a LA team without its best player, Detroit is down 2-0 against the Sharks, Nashville had a real tough first round matchup and was something like 30 seconds away from being down 3-2 against the Ducks and 67 seconds away from being down 2-0 against the Canucks.

When you look around there isn't a single team that's had an easy road so far.

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:04 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
The funny thing is that over the last 4 games we've never trailed and yet we're 2-2 in those 4 games. Out of those 4 games 3 of them were really strong games and even game 2 wasn't that bad expect for a poor 3rd period. Even that poor 3rd period has to be credited to the Predators playing real well and real desperate. Despite all of that if Rinne didn't turn into god in overtime that series is 2-0 going to Nashville.

Sure the team hasn't been as dominating as they were during the regular season but we've also playing two really good teams.

All fair points.

Quote:
I would argue that Chicago was the 4th best team in the West while Nashville IMO is the 5th best team in the West. When you play teams that are that good you have to expect them to push back and not just bend over either.

Of course, but you have to agree that the degree of pushback from those teams says something about Vancouver too. But really, my comments were more about what I see in Vancouver, then what I see in the opposition.

Quote:
I'm happy to see that there was an extra day break here in this series and hopefully it gives the team a chance to recover a bit and get their **** together. I totally agree that something does seem to be missing however if you take out the two **** games in round one (game 4 and 5) we have been somewhat unlucky to only be 2-2 over the last four games.

The fact that you also suspect that something is awry is the point I'm driving at. Except, I took it a step further. I said that if nothing changes, I can't see the team winning the cup. I made an assertion based on what I had seen to that point. Yes, they have been unlucky too. Breaks and good play due tend to go hand in hand though.

Quote:
Think of it this way as well. What team in the playoffs has had an easy time so far??

Tampa was down 3-1 to Pittsburgh, Boston was down 2-0 to Montreal and had to win game 7 in OT, Washington is down 2-0 to Tampa right now, Philly is down 2-0 to Boston right now and barely survived the first round.

San Jose is 4-0 in OT so far and barely got by a LA team without its best player, Detroit is down 2-0 against the Sharks, Nashville had a real tough first round matchup and was something like 30 seconds away from being down 3-2 against the Ducks and 67 sec
onds away from being down 2-0 against the Canucks.

When you look around there isn't a single team that's had an easy road so far.

Also true. No team has had it easy. That said, there are only 3-4 teams of the lot that I would have categorized as legitimate cup favourites. Canucks were in that category for me. But with the way the team is performing up to this point, you can't help but think that they just aren't there yet.

If the Sedins+Kesler+Edler+Luongo were all going like they were in the regular season, as in performance and production, then you could say the key players on the team have figured out the playoffs. As a result, you could rely on team statistical trends to carry the team through --> in both bad times and good. But as it stands now, you can't say that.

Someone mentioned the past Chicago team galvanizing in the 2nd rnd, as in finding their game. Perhaps that happens to Van. If so, I may think differently of them, but until that time...