HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have we switched to 3 lines?

Old
05-02-2011, 08:21 AM
dats81

vCash: 500
Have we switched to 3 lines?

All season long people have been praising the incredible depth of this team and how other teams would struggle to match up with our 3 scoring lines but now it seems that Lavi is just using 3 lines in the playoffs.
Betts and Powe are used sparely, mainly on the PK.

Why are they dressing Rinaldo to play him less than 4 minutes?
Why has Nodl been listed as day-to-day now for more than 2 weeks? And even if he can't play, why wouldn't they dress Holmstrom or Wellwood instead?

It seems to me that Lavi does not really trust Betts any longer, at least not to carry a playoff-servicable 4th line. It's no only about shortening the bench in crucial situations.

What do you think?

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:26 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
All season long people have been praising the incredible depth of this team and how other teams would struggle to match up with our 3 scoring lines but now it seems that Lavi is just using 3 lines in the playoffs.
Betts and Powe are used sparely, mainly on the PK.

Why are they dressing Rinaldo to play him less than 4 minutes?
Why has Nodl been listed as day-to-day now for more than 2 weeks? And even if he can't play, why wouldn't they dress Holmstrom or Wellwood instead?

It seems to me that Lavi does not really trust Betts any longer, at least not to carry a playoff-servicable 4th line. It's no only about shortening the bench in crucial situations.

What do you think?
Nodl's injury seems more serious than they're letting on. Also -- not trusting Betts any longer? He trusted him enough to have him out there for three goals against last game. If anything, he's trusting him too much.

The Betts line will play if we have a lead, from what I can tell. Problem is, in the games recently (outside of game 7), we haven't had the lead a whole lot. They really should bring someone like Wellwood or Holmstrom up. Maybe he'll try to change it up after Saturday's fiasco.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:30 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
I think the 4th line is still being played too often actually, especially during late period situations and defensive zone faceoffs. They're not doing their job and I'd be fine with seeing less of them. I love what Betts and Powe can do but right now they're struggling.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:39 AM
dats81

One thing that I just don't get is why they are taking the risk of playing Rinaldo? That guy has zero playoff experience and has a reputation of taking stupid penalties. It's just a matter of time until he does something stupid.

I'd rather put Jody Shelley out there (I know he can't fight someone right now because of his facial injury) but at least he is somewhat intimidating and knows how to shove people out of the crease.

Old
05-02-2011, 11:18 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
One thing that I just don't get is why they are taking the risk of playing Rinaldo? That guy has zero playoff experience and has a reputation of taking stupid penalties. It's just a matter of time until he does something stupid.

I'd rather put Jody Shelley out there (I know he can't fight someone right now because of his facial injury) but at least he is somewhat intimidating and knows how to shove people out of the crease.
Like interfering the opposing goalie? Already happened in game 1 against Boston. Was really surprised to see him out on the ice again in that game. Lavi should have sat him down for the remainder of the game.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:36 AM
RU Flyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
Like interfering the opposing goalie? Already happened in game 1 against Boston. Was really surprised to see him out on the ice again in that game. Lavi should have sat him down for the remainder of the game.
Come on man, that was a ******** call. I thought he played alright. I'd rather have Wellwood or Holmstrom out there, but Rinaldo did not play bad or stupid. He was just on the receiving end of a ****** call by the ref.

RU Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:39 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Flyerfan View Post
Come on man, that was a ******** call. I thought he played alright. I'd rather have Wellwood or Holmstrom out there, but Rinaldo did not play bad or stupid. He was just on the receiving end of a ****** call by the ref.
If he somehow makes the team next season (or in the future) get ready to use that excuse a lot. Dude is a headcase. Hurts the team more than helps. Great, he can hit....and? Thats pretty much all he can do. Actually thats not true, he is pretty good at getting suspended. 3+ times in his first AHL season.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:42 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
If he somehow makes the team next season (or in the future) get ready to use that excuse a lot. Dude is a headcase. Hurts the team more than helps. Great, he can hit....and? Thats pretty much all he can do. Actually thats not true, he is pretty good at getting suspended. 3+ times in his first AHL season.
100% agree with this.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:47 AM
RU Flyerfan

I realize that he's a headcase and that someone else should be in ahead of him, but do you remember that goalie interference call? If anything, Seidenberg should've gone off for running into Thomas.

RU Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:06 PM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU Flyerfan View Post
While I agree that it was a bad call I think he was going in there to hastily and put himself in a bad position.

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:27 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_28 View Post
While I agree that it was a bad call I think he was going in there to hastily and put himself in a bad position.
Nope, he made an attempt to avoid the goalie and did so. It was terrible refereeing based on AHL reputation. No guarantees that changes though.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:18 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
Nope, he made an attempt to avoid the goalie and did so. It was terrible refereeing based on AHL reputation. No guarantees that changes though.
Sigh... first it's OHL reputation, than once that went out the door, its AHL reputation. Ever think it might just be Rinaldo? In the AHL, he deserved most of his penalties and suspensions. His last suspension, he got suspended for trying to slam a guy's face into the ice. Sorry not blaming the refs on that one.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:17 PM
hextall shoots

I like the idea of putting Rinaldo in there let him bang the hell out of guys. In the games he played the flyers fell behind early, I want to see him in a game where we have a couple goal lead.

hextall shoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:23 PM
PhilaFlyers

How can you honestly say that goalie interference call wasn't completely ********? Watch it again.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:43 PM
TheShaneTrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextall shoots View Post
I like the idea of putting Rinaldo in there let him bang the hell out of guys. In the games he played the flyers fell behind early, I want to see him in a game where we have a couple goal lead.
tee hee hee. sorry i had to.

oh, and i completely agree. i think with a 2-3 goal lead, cut the little fella loose and see what happens. not really losing much if he gets suspended anyway, right?

TheShaneTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:58 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
I don't understand why the hell we signed Shelley to such a ridiculous contract if we aren't even willing to play him when there are literally no other options.

I'd rather see us dress Wellwood than Rinaldo because he's actually a player, not a goon.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:17 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextall shoots View Post
If the Flyers would find a way of taking such a convincing lead against the Bruins any time soon, I wouldn't mind seing Rinaldo on the ice