HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you rate our defense

Old
05-03-2011, 03:45 AM
nyrtrublue

vCash: 500
How would you rate our defense

Hey this is my first thread so i have no idea how to make a poll, so mods please give me a hand with that. I love our d and want to keep developing them as a unit but how would you rate our d. Does Lundqvist make our d look good, would Lundqvist look better with other teams d in front of him. I mean we are not a top defensive team I dont think but we are solid. Ive seen mixed posts on how our d is so I was hoping to get a general concensus on how our defense is. Thanks guys.

nyrtrublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:07 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
One of the best D-corps in the league. Also the fact that they are all under 27 and 3/4ths of our top 4 are under the age of 24 is very impressive.

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:26 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
One of the best D-corps in the league. Also the fact that they are all under 27 and 3/4ths of our top 4 are under the age of 24 is very impressive.
One word comes to mind when I think of our D: composure.

They showed composure beyond their years this season. For the most part, I was very happy.

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Ehh I'd be hesitant to call it one of the best in the league. Probably around 10-15. Also our bottom pairing is pretty weak, especially when Gilroy is in. I'm very excited for our D going forward though.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:54 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Ehh I'd be hesitant to call it one of the best in the league. Probably around 10-15. Also our bottom pairing is pretty weak, especially when Gilroy is in. I'm very excited for our D going forward though.
Much more realistic.

And until the Rangers are able to develop a true puck moving defenseman, it wont move much from there.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 07:14 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Not too sure I call our D, best in the league. TBH, I see our defense somewhere right in the middle. What I do like about our D is that they are young, solid, and will only get better. But to call then best in the league is a long stretch.

UnderPSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:15 AM
beef 4 lunch

Good but lacking offensive threat - and who knows what D5 and D6 will look like next year. Our top four are above average.

not top 10 in the league (IMO)

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:19 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I would rank our defence as medicore.

They miss a top end point producer to provide balanced scoring from the back end and to keep opposing teams honest.

They miss a mean MF'ing crease clearer that Sauer could develope into, same as Dylan, however right now, they do not have that.

They are solid defensively, but they lack offensively and overall as a group, they are not that physical.

Medicore.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:21 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

If we could have a third pairing as solid as our top 4 it'd be above average.

Add a PMD and we're great. Right now we're good. Like I said in another thread, I think Hank's 11 shutouts is also a product of how good our defense was a shutdown unit this year (obviously not taking anything away from how good Henke is.) A few additions or changes and it could be one of the best in the NHL.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:35 AM
94now

As good as it gets. MDZ will make it complete.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:11 AM
Jersey Girl

I will call them above average, and I could probably be talked into top ten. But no more. The lack of a puck moving defenseman and power play QB drags this unit down.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Defensively I believe they are top 10, but they fall a few spots because lack of a consistent point producer.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:22 AM
mullichicken25

solid now, with best in the league potential over the next 5 years

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:25 AM
NaturalIce

Defensively, top 10 in the nhl, offensively, bottom 10 in the nhl. Another reason why our pp failed this year. Hopefully mdz can come back stronger next year, with a clean slate.

NaturalIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
Not sure what you're basing that on but I love the optimism lol.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:08 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

young and gritty, smart, tons of hustle, but they get a lot of nothing done in the offensive zone…in so far as Torts rollling 5 fwd PP's for a little while.

This defense can become one of the best int he league if McD can become the PMD that I think he is, and MDZ can become the point shot, PPqb that I pray he can become.

otherwise anyone saying this is one of the best defenses in the league is completely out of their mind. They're good, have a ton of potential, and have all the right elements in the right spots. But there's at least 10 defenses that i can think of in the playoffs that are much more effective then our own at this point.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
I would say we are top 10 in potential. Arguably top 5. I'm not sure I would go with best though. It should be VERY interesting how things shake down the next few years. I for one think the Rangers are going to be a hell of a team in two years but thats for a different thread all together.

It's looking like we have a legit top 4 D in the works and a ton of top 4 D men in the pipes.

McD + Sauer / Staal + Girardi = A SOLID top 4.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:16 PM
TreeSapLlama

I think as many people said, we are 10-15, mostly due to our third pairing.

If everyone develops as anticipated, I would love to see this in our future:

Staal - Girardi
MDZ - Sauer
MCD - McIlrath

I know many people don't want to split MCD and Sauer, but not every line should be a shutdown line. Sauers positioning can cover for MDZ roaming, and MCDs skating can cover for McIlrath going for big hits.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:51 PM
NYRangers16

2 stats to consider:

1) we were 5th in GA this year.

Van - 185
Nas - 194
Bos - 195
Was - 197
Nyr - 198 (tied with LA)

2) Hank led the league with 11 SOs

I don't see how anyone can reasonably say we weren't top 10. Some of this obviously was system based, and I think we would have given up more if we had tried to open up the offense a bit, but given how young our D is, and especially compared to the crap D we've had to endure in the past, I think we made major strides this year. I remember screaming at Redden way too often for boneheaded plays and I found myself doing a lot less cursing of our D this year lol.

Plus it's a pretty big deal to have 2 rookies graduate in one year. Let's not discount how monumental that is for not just one, but two defensemen to play so solidly. Most teams might have one guy come up and play 3rd pair minutes but we had both Sauer and McD come up and play as a shutdown second pair. They weren't perfect, but they did damn good.

So let's allow ourselves to celebrate this a bit. It's a big step forward for the team. And having Staal/Girardi long term means that we will have an extremely solid D for years to come.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 01:00 PM
free0717

I like our top 4 right now. We need another offensive Defenseman and MDZ to raise his game.

Not really a fan of Gilroy although he looked better in the playoffs.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 01:08 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I would rank our defence as medicore.

They miss a top end point producer to provide balanced scoring from the back end and to keep opposing teams honest.

They miss a mean MF'ing crease clearer that Sauer could develope into, same as Dylan, however right now, they do not have that.

They are solid defensively, but they lack offensively and overall as a group, they are not that physical.

Medicore.
That's how I feel, not enough offense coming from the back end and they could be a little more physical. Our top 4 is a little redundant in that all of them are primarily shutdown defensemen. They need an offensive defenseman in there to balance things out.

Also, our bottom pairing has been a problem for some time now. The team has been leaning too heavily on Staal and Girardi because the bottom pairing is unreliable and doesn't log a lot of minutes.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote