HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Visentin named OHL Goaltender of the Year & named OHL 1st team All-Star

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2011, 12:23 PM
  #1
Dolemite
The one...the only..
 
Dolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 37,533
vCash: 50
Visentin named OHL Goaltender of the Year & named OHL 1st team All-Star

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...ar-teams/97927


Last edited by Dolemite: 05-02-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:17 PM
  #2
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,416
vCash: 500
Good news. Hopefully we don't see him in a Yotes sweater for a long time though. Keep a steady development path and not to mention keep Bryz in the fold.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:15 PM
  #3
Waldo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Good news. Hopefully we don't see him (Visintin) in a Yotes sweater for a long time though. Keep a steady development path and not to mention keep Bryz in the fold.
He'll play one more year of Jr and the it's the AHL for at least a year but more likely 2 or 3 years. The wait will be worth it. A tandem of Visintin and Domingue in the AHL will be thrilling to watch them mature. Both could end up being great goaltenders. However, my confidence in Bryz has been lowered. I know that we can argue he was overplayed, which he was, but that was terrible playoff goaltending. His head was never in it. I wouldn't doubt that Philly might still make him an offer but as for GMDM, Bryz is no 6 mill goalie.

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:22 PM
  #4
Dolemite
The one...the only..
 
Dolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 37,533
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
However, my confidence in Bryz has been lowered. I know that we can argue he was overplayed, which he was, but that was terrible playoff goaltending. His head was never in it. I wouldn't doubt that Philly might still make him an offer but as for GMDM, Bryz is no 6 mill goalie.
That's a byproduct of working him too much. Not mentally sharp. Look at the Canucks for a good example. They started Schneider once every five or so games like clockwork until they clinched. You saw how Luongo has been performing in the Predators series.

Think of it like a starting pitcher rotation. If you keep playing your pitchers so much they're not only not going to be physically sharp but they're not going to be mentally sharp.

__________________
http://thenhlhotlist.azvibe.com/
Follow along on Twitter: http://twitter.com/azvibesports
Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:25 PM
  #5
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 14,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
He'll play one more year of Jr and the it's the AHL for at least a year but more likely 2 or 3 years. The wait will be worth it. A tandem of Visintin and Domingue in the AHL will be thrilling to watch them mature. Both could end up being great goaltenders. However, my confidence in Bryz has been lowered. I know that we can argue he was overplayed, which he was, but that was terrible playoff goaltending. His head was never in it. I wouldn't doubt that Philly might still make him an offer but as for GMDM, Bryz is no 6 mill goalie.
Mine too, but I'd hate to see him rushed to the NHL due to a lack of goaltending on the big club once he leaves junior. Bryz or someone else, they'll need somebody.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:35 PM
  #6
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
You saw how Luongo has been performing in the Predators series.
Luongo was terrible in the Chicago series. So your argument of fewer games played equals better performance doesn't really hold any weight. Bryzgalov beats himself mentally, and often. There are goalies that just can't play up to the pressure but would otherwise be great in the regular season. Ryan Miller for example. Rinne and Lundqvist, on the other hand, have been playing as good or better than their regular season. And that's pretty damn good. Rinne basically stole game 2 from the Canucks.

I think it's time to move on from Bryzgalov. Do you want to pay 6mil + a year for an awkward Russian goaltender who has yet to really prove that he can lock it down in the playoffs? And don't mention his Duck performances, because they are irrelevant at this point in time. I hope Bryz walks and forces DM to make another move. A quality young goalie like Schneider would be amazing. Varlamov seems to have lost his starting gig in Washington. There are plenty of options out there.

It's not so much that I don't like Bryz. I love him for making the Coyotes relevant. I just don't feel comfortable paying him 6 million to not rise up to the occasion. That is money better spent on our pathetic offense.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:57 AM
  #7
Dolemite
The one...the only..
 
Dolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 37,533
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Luongo was terrible in the Chicago series. So your argument of fewer games played equals better performance doesn't really hold any weight.
It does if you looked at how the play developed and know the history of the series for the past few years. This year and last year the Blackhawks owned the Canucks in transition to their offensive zone. For whatever reason, the Canucks could not defend against the Blackhawks in transition especially on the rush. This is how the Canucks lost in the playoffs last year (that plus they had zero depth on defense and Bieksa was a liability in that situation) and this is why the series went seven games this year. Once the Canucks woke up and realized 'hey we have to slow down Chicago's speed in the neutral zone' the series was no longer a heavy Chicago advantage.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 01:33 AM
  #8
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver
 
TGOTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: On the couch
Country: United States
Posts: 2,474
vCash: 500
We don't have the luxury or talent to sit Bryz every 5 games.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:44 AM
  #9
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,854
vCash: 500
There are quite a few good young goalies who are cheaper options, but are not going to be given away for free and some are NOT even available.

Here's a list

Schneider - He will cost a very good asset. What would you part with?

Valrlamov - Injury prone ???? Also requires giving up an asset

Rask - Thomas doesn't look like he's slowing down.

Bernier - Kings goalie of the future. Unlikely to trade him or Quick within the division.

Mason - Columbus has no reason to trade him yet.

Enroth - see Mason

Now the only other viable solution or back up plan that I can see is having a contract ready and waiting for Josh Harding on July 1st with the hopes he's ready to have his coming out party much like Cory Crawford.

1 - Is the Coyotes defense good enough to make the Harding transition to a #1 a successful one?

2 - With the money saved will the Coyotes be able to add one or two good offensive players to help reduce the need for Harding to have to steal every game?

3 - Does the team require a better back up goalie to help him in this transition? If so, who? Wonder what Vokoun's asking price will be. I'd be okay with a Harding/Vokoun tandem ... I think.


Last edited by untouchable21: 05-04-2011 at 12:49 AM.
untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.