HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Flyers upgrade at goalie next season?

Old
05-03-2011, 09:42 AM
stick

vCash: 500
Snider has been selling tickets on the memory of 1974 & 1975, just as he has done with God Bless America which is now o for 2 against Boston. Homer has traded all our high draft picks away for a guy this year who has shown me very little

We are not in 1975 anymore.

Tampa Bay got a pretty good goalie for next to nothing fron NY Is.

If I had my pick for the best, it what be the Preds goalie

JMO

stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He said that before the playoffs though, didn't he?
No, pretty sure it was in the post-season preserve. Then he tried for Nabokov and Turco before freaking out and signing Leighton.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:21 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He said that before the playoffs though, didn't he?
Yes...if memory serves me correctly, he said at the STH meeting (which I think you reported on) that goalie situation would be something they would work on and solve.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:22 AM
dats81

Do you need outstanding goaltending to win the cup? No, you don't....but it helps

You can sign a 40g scorer who remains scoreless a whole playoff series and still advance to the next round but you just can't rely on third string, backup goalies to give you a serious chance to win a series.
It doesn't work like that. Goaltending is far more important than any other position in the game! Someone please tell Mr. Holmgren...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Yes...if memory serves me correctly, he said at the STH meeting (which I think you reported on) that goalie situation would be something they would work on and solve.
Oh, yes, definitely said it there... but I'm pretty sure he said something after the season, too. His actions after the season also displayed a short-term effort to do something about the goalie position that was different.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Mota

They probably could get Vokoun at a reasonable cap hit...I am sure at this point in his career Vokoun would like to sign with a team that gives him a shot at a cup...the flyers being that team.

That being said, I have ZERO faith in Homer. They could probably easily move Carle for the cap space and even get something nice in return, but they won't.

I see them putting off resigning Leino and trying to some how get Vokoun before FA...failing to do so and losing Leino...and overpaying a guy like Glenncross.

Let's face it, Leighton/Bob will be the Flyers goaltenders next year...

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 11:27 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
They probably could get Vokoun at a reasonable cap hit...I am sure at this point in his career Vokoun would like to sign with a team that gives him a shot at a cup...the flyers being that team.

That being said, I have ZERO faith in Homer. They could probably easily move Carle for the cap space and even get something nice in return, but they won't.

I see them putting off resigning Leino and trying to some how get Vokoun before FA...failing to do so and losing Leino...and overpaying a guy like Glenncross.

I can't see Leighton playing for us ever again after the Game 6 debacle and failure to show up to practice.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
What was the problem with Biron, I guess he wanted to much money? But now he is making nothing on the Rangers. He was fine with me for a goalie.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
What was the problem with Biron, I guess he wanted to much money? But now he is making nothing on the Rangers. He was fine with me for a goalie.
Well alot of people see what the Flyers saw I guess, cause no one seems to want him as a starter.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:31 PM
phlocky

I think that we ALWAYS look to upgrade the team every off-season. Whether that's in goal, on defense, offense, special teams, or faceoffs I don't know but I think it's safe to say that we WILL try to upgrade the team.

Now, what would I like to see them do??? I agree with Jester regarding Versteeg. He's a very good 2-way forward and I think he works well with Richards. He's probably the best "shut-down" forward that Richards has been partnered with in a long time. I think that we both should and WILL keep him for this reason.

I also agree with Jester in that I think Meszaros makes Carle expendable and I too would ship him out, resign O'Donnell, and bring up someone from the Phantoms.

Carter isn't going anywhere no matter what some poaters on here may thin or want. Hate him or not, think he's expendable or not, it's very telling that the organization is very high on him with the 11-year contract he just signed. However, an interesting proposal was posted on the main board that I'd like to pass along even if there is no chance of it happening. Carter + Coburn for Luong + Schroeder + Shirokov. Personally, I'd either change Coburn to Carle or Shirokov to Rodin/Hodgson. There really isn't any chance of this happening but if it could I thikn I'd take it.

Realistically, I think we should trade Hartnell and Carle, put Carter with Briere and Leino, move Meszaroz up with Pronger, and take the 5 mil or so that is freed up and sign Bryz or Vokoun. Let Bob back then up and in 2 years give him the reigns if he's shown he's worthy.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:46 PM
FlyerGuy18

I'm betting it's going to be Leighton/Bobrovsky:

With Homer saying: 'Well Micheal had a tough year with injuries, we're confident he'll bounce back'

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 View Post

With Homer saying: 'Well Micheal had a tough year with injuries, we're confident he'll bounce back'
There is a pretty high chance that excuse will be used. Now that I think about it, I'd be surprised if he says anything else.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:51 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 View Post

I'll need a gun to blow my brains out if that gets said.

Voukun and Bryz would be the only ones I would want in the pipes to help Bob along until he is ready.

Much like how JSG helped Hiller along in the Ducks org.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 08:46 AM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick View Post
Snider has been selling tickets on the memory of 1974 & 1975, just as he has done with God Bless America which is now o for 2 against Boston. Homer has traded all our high draft picks away for a guy this year who has shown me very little

We are not in 1975 anymore..................

JMO

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

I hope they go with either Bryzgalov or Volkoun and ship out whatever pieces they need to to make it work (Carle or Versteeg).

My fear is that they instead they will go after an old, over the hill goaltender (Giguere, Turco) and pray they have something left in the tank, and by December it will be obvious to everyone that they don't...

Eitherway, I can't see them bringing back the Boosh/Bob tandem. And I really can't see how anyone working for Professional Hockey Organization can believe that Leighton can be a starting NHL goalie.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:30 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
I hope they go with either Bryzgalov or Volkoun and ship out whatever pieces they need to to make it work (Carle or Versteeg).

My fear is that they instead they will go after an old, over the hill goaltender (Giguere, Turco) and pray they have something left in the tank, and by December it will be obvious to everyone that they don't...

Eitherway, I can't see them bringing back the Boosh/Bob tandem. And I really can't see how anyone working for Professional Hockey Organization can believe that Leighton can be a starting NHL goalie.
I guess the question should be for you, what about Bob? If you think he can be good, do you want to bury him behind Bryzgalov or Vokoun, and if so, for how many years.

I personally think Bob can be a really good goalie so I don't want to bury him for 4 years. I don't know much about legalities of Nabokov's situation, but if the Islanders have him for another year, I think he'd be a perfect fit for Philly and a perfect fit for Bob.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I guess the question should be for you, what about Bob? If you think he can be good, do you want to bury him behind Bryzgalov or Vokoun, and if so, for how many years.

I personally think Bob can be a really good goalie so I don't want to bury him for 4 years. I don't know much about legalities of Nabokov's situation, but if the Islanders have him for another year, I think he'd be a perfect fit for Philly and a perfect fit for Bob.
I like Bob. I just don't think hes ready yet. This whole year was kind of unfair to him. He shouldn't have been thrust into the situation he was fresh out of Russia where he was expected to backstop a cup contending team.

I'd prefer a Vokoun/Bob tadem. Vokoun is older, and probably looking to be on a winning team for once. I could see him taking a a 2-3 year deal around 3-3.5 per. Give Bob 30 starts a year for the next couple years to work on his game and build confidence. Give me a Stanley cup caliber goaltender in the mean time.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

Haha! That is a probable scenario. However, I think instead of keeping the goalies the way they are, I think Homer goes and signs an old over the hill goalie like Turco to some dumb deal which prevents him from being able to sign an of our RFAs, at which point he'll trade Versteeg along with 2012 1st round pick for the rights to Gagne, who then resigns with TB.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 09:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

This goalie situation is just effin embarassing.

HOLMGREN YOU DOLT! YZERMAN IS SCHOOLING YOU ALREADY...NICE GOING PASSING ON ROLOSON 2X BECAUSE YOU CAN'T MANAGE THE CAP AND YOU PREFERRED TO WASTE MONEY ON LEIGHTON, WALKER AND SHELLEY THIS OFFSEASON..BOY THEY'VE DONE ALOT! GET US OUR FIRST ROUND PICK BACK AS WELL!

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 05-04-2011 at 09:27 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No, pretty sure it was in the post-season preserve. Then he tried for Nabokov and Turco before freaking out and signing Leighton.
No, I think that was something different, because people were wondering about Leighton because he had gotten hurt. I was referring to the open house Holmgren had with the fans (which I was not at to answer your question, chim).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:43 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

It's funny to reflect on how the Flyers and Lightning have split paths from the 2004 ECF.

Since then, we've (mostly) been a competitive perennial contender. Since winning the cup, they've (mostly) been in the toilet.

All these years later, they've recovered. They've got the same leadership from 2004 (St. Louis and Lecavalier) and made a brilliant snag of an effective journeyman goaltender. And, for their troubles, they've swept the Caps and secured the first spot in the ECF.

Meanwhile, another competitive Flyers squad is being felled by the same diseases they've had for well over a decade. Ugh.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:18 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I'm very worried about the future of this team. We don't have the space to get a goalie. Even if we get rid of a contract, we still have some bottom 6 spots to figure out as well as a 6th defenseman. We have no farm system, and with our 2 best defenseman over the age of 36, I really don't like the look of it. Were putting all our marbles in on a core of players that quite frankly, don't look to me like they have what it takes to bring us a cup. Were continuously disappointed by the ridiculous streakiness of our entire team. It's inability to put forth a consistent effort, or outwork their opponents on a nightly basis. A lot of times in seriously appears as if they just Do. Not. Care. And it's not just a few guys. It's most of the team.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hartnell, carle and versteeg all gone if it means getting Vokoun or bryzgalov.
We also need a young defensive prospect who has the potential to be a top 4 guy.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:24 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I'm very worried about the future of this team. We don't have the space to get a goalie. Even if we get rid of a contract, we still have some bottom 6 spots to figure out as well as a 6th defenseman. We have no farm system, and with our 2 best defenseman over the age of 36, I really don't like the look of it. Were putting all our marbles in on a core of players that quite frankly, don't look to me like they have what it takes to bring us a cup. Were continuously disappointed by the ridiculous streakiness of our entire team. It's inability to put forth a consistent effort, or outwork their opponents on a nightly basis. A lot of times in seriously appears as if they just Do. Not. Care. And it's not just a few guys. It's most of the team.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

I wouldn't mind seeing Hartnell, carle and versteeg all gone if it means getting Vokoun or bryzgalov.
We also need a young defensive prospect who has the potential to be a top 4 guy.
Personally I think we need to let go of a forward, possibly a D-Man. If we can somehow only lose say Carle and Versteeg and get a goalie, i'm fine with it.

As it is, we love the fact that we have so much offense and deep D, but we have to play near perfect games when it counts...it gets old.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Haute Couturier

I think they definitely will upgrade in goal next season. Having the goalie pulled in six of ten playoff games and being a laughing stock over it is just too much for them to ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Actually I think it was after the playoffs. San Fillipo wrote about it all and cited some internal team source about fixing the goaltending once and for all. Apparently we got the "fix" alright....
No, it was definitely before. It was around the time Leighton got hurt and they were struggling. The source said they can't keep going like this and needed a long term solution. Then during the Montreal series SanFillippo mentioned that a team source said Michael Leighton was the solution they've been looking for all along. It was unclear if both sources were the same, but he has since revealed that it was Peter Luukko who said they needed to fix the goalie situation.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:31 AM
decadentia

My fear is that they go and try to get Turco or Theodore, both whom I do not think are the answer.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote