HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Updated-Drury won't retire. Will soak the Rangers for buyout $

Old
05-02-2011, 11:55 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Edmonton was planning to buyout 3 players last June. They ended up buying out just 1 in Robert Nilsson for a 1/3. Ethan Moreau was claimed on waivers when Edmonton placed him on waivers as part of the buyout process. Phoenix wanted to dump Jim Vandermeer's money so DM traded Vandermeer for Patrrick O'Sullivan who was bought out at 1/3. Edmonton decided to take Vandermeer instead of buying out O'Sullivan.

Drury can refuse to be placed on waivers as part of the buyout process. He just becomes a free agent when the buyout is completed rather possibly have another team claim him and pay him $5M next season. The NMC gives Drury that option.

Arthur Staple has written the Rangers will need to get creative to create cap space. Sather got creative with moving Brashear' 35+ contract but then screwed it up by not assigning White to the AHL from day 1. Columbus will buyout Commodore by June 30. They stopped playing him in the AHL at the end of the season because they can't buy him out if he suffered a serious injury.

There is no maximum salary in the AHL. There is NO SALARY CAP IN THE AHL.

Regarding Drury coming back to play as being a bad thing. An injured player can't be bought out. Drury came back and played 6 games. He can't claim he's an injured player.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:29 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
It's because Drury is much more important to USA hockey than Redden was to Canadian hockey. Drury is one of the greatest Americans to play in the NHL. Redden was just another Canadian with an excellent prime. I like him, and wish him all the best in his endeavors, but if he comes back and plays like a 4th line scrub, I'm going to think of him less than I do now. Yeah, he's had a fine career, but the fact of the matter is that his "fine career" means nothing now, and he's a complete waste of 7m in cap space.

Now, by no means do I think he owes the Rangers organization any dues or that he should be forced to retire, but I'm probably going to remember him by how terrible he was in his final years here instead of how great of a player he was his entire career.
I have never heard of Drury being referred to as that.

Good player? one of the greatest ever? Hard pressed to put him in my top 20

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:32 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

That's not me, but he certainly is considered a "great" American player by many, or from what I've personally heard.

Stepan is at the top, though.

05-02-2011, 02:31 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Well, he's one of the top-30 Americans in scoring. I think he's 27th right now. He will probably move up 1 spot before he retires.

Coupled will his two-way game and leadership abilities, he was a terrific player. He's definitely not one of the all-time great American players--Modano, Roenick, Housley, Leetch, etc--but he was one of the top Americans of his generation.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:05 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
It's because Drury is much more important to USA hockey than Redden was to Canadian hockey. Drury is one of the greatest Americans to play in the NHL. Redden was just another Canadian with an excellent prime. I like him, and wish him all the best in his endeavors, but if he comes back and plays like a 4th line scrub, I'm going to think of him less than I do now. Yeah, he's had a fine career, but the fact of the matter is that his "fine career" means nothing now, and he's a complete waste of 7m in cap space.

Now, by no means do I think he owes the Rangers organization any dues or that he should be forced to retire, but I'm probably going to remember him by how terrible he was in his final years here instead of how great of a player he was his entire career.

1) Drury was never a great player. He was very good for a handful of years.

2) Drury is not one of the greatest U.S. players to play in the NHL. On forwards alone, I dont think he cracks the top 20. When you consider all the great US defensemen who have played, he might not crack the top 40.

Drury is in the class of Scott Young, Dave Christian and Tony Granato. Successful HS and college players who played internationally and had a few solid NHL seasons.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 09:20 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
1) Drury was never a great player. He was very good for a handful of years.

2) Drury is not one of the greatest U.S. players to play in the NHL. On forwards alone, I dont think he cracks the top 20. When you consider all the great US defensemen who have played, he might not crack the top 40.

Drury is in the class of Scott Young, Dave Christian and Tony Granato. Successful HS and college players who played internationally and had a few solid NHL seasons.
Okay, I get you're not a Drury fan, but really? The guy had 50+ points 8 separate seasons. He was a 45 point guy 2 other years. The guy had many solid NHL seasons. I don't know how you define "solid," but his first 10 years in the league meet my definition.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:37 AM
mike14

So we've established that barring something crazy, Drury is either bought out or on the team next season. That being the case, where will the Rangers play him? Is he just going to get limited 4th line C time with some PK minutes or, assuming that he come into camp healthy, will the Rangers look at him as 3rd line winger to try and get something out of that huge cap hit? Maybe on Stepan's wing in the hope that he can benefit from Derek's setup ability and also to assist the line of face-offs?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:00 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Drury was a GREAT player in his prime.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 07:29 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Even though Howson would not commit to it at this early date, all signs point to the Blue Jackets buying out the remaining two years on Commodore's contract this summer.

Thus, a plausible reason the Blue Jackets have asked Commodore to have a seat is they don't want him injured. An injured player cannot have his contract bought out.

If the Blue Jackets buy out Commodore, it will cost them roughly $1.15million for the next four seasons - that's two-thirds of the remaining money he's owed spread over two years for each remaining season on the deal. Commodore wouldn't be off the Blue Jackets' books until after the 2014-15 season.
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...d.html?sid=101

Quote:
Mike Commodore buyout from CapGeek.com
2011-12: $1,391,667
2012-13: $1,541,667
2013-14: $1,141,667
2014-15: $1,141,667
Drury was a very good player. Markus Naslund retired with another year remaining on his contract. Jason Smith was forced to retire due to injuries. Smith gave up $2.6M and he didn't make major money in his career. Gil Meche gave up $12M.

Quote:
“When I signed my contract, my main goal was to earn it,” Meche said this week by phone from Lafayette, La. “Once I started to realize I wasn’t earning my money, I felt bad. I was making a crazy amount of money for not even pitching. Honestly, I didn’t feel like I deserved it. I didn’t want to have those feelings again.”
Has Drury earned this money? He was paid $8M in 10-11. He earned that money?

Quote:
“This isn’t about being a hero — that’s not even close to what it’s about,” Meche said this week. “It’s just me getting back to a point in my life where I’m comfortable. Making that amount of money from a team that’s already given me over $40 million for my life and for my kids, it just wasn’t the right thing to do.”
Royals GM Dayton Moore

Quote:
“He felt the organization had been very good to him, and he felt he needed to, not repay, but in his mind do the right thing,” Moore said. “I’m not saying that if a player decides to do his best and fulfill his contract that’s the wrong thing. But Gil did what he felt was right for him.”
Drury should do the right thing and retire. The Rangers have paid him $30.25M in the last 4 years. The Rangers have been good to him. He looked terrible after the knee surgery. Drury skated better before the knee surgery. If he wants to hang on for the money,that's his choice.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/sp...l/27meche.html

Why can't they all be like Gil Meche?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 07:52 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

something to consider.

if drury isnt bought our or retires, mr. team player and our captain is severely hurting this organization.

paying him to play 8 minutes a game without any production or worse, get injured and be paid to make pizza is plain awful in its own right. add to that the inability to either keep wolski- who has as much skill as anyone on this team not named gaborik or worse, just not be able to add richards means that capt quaalude could essentially kill next season.

all because he wants to keep playing at 36, with bad wheels and no hands.

pretty sad.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:07 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

We won't be competitive until Drury is off our books. Our up in comers are going to demand higher salaries soon and we can't keep all of them.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:26 PM
NYRCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
something to consider.

if drury isnt bought our or retires, mr. team player and our captain is severely hurting this organization.

paying him to play 8 minutes a game without any production or worse, get injured and be paid to make pizza is plain awful in its own right. add to that the inability to either keep wolski- who has as much skill as anyone on this team not named gaborik or worse, just not be able to add richards means that capt quaalude could essentially kill next season.

pretty sad.
dead on.

i don't hate chris drury for accepting the contract but i can't ****ing take it anymore. i want him off this team asap.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
something to consider.

pretty sad.
Usually one would have to wait for the draft to witness your flare for the overdramatics

How come you're not so confident in Sather? His ability to make problems disappear is pretty good, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
We won't be competitive until Drury is off our books. Our up in comers are going to demand higher salaries soon and we can't keep all of them.
Thankfully we have a GM who thought ahead, great planner, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCC View Post
dead on.

i don't hate chris drury for accepting the contract but i can't ****ing take it anymore. i want him off this team asap.
That famous NYC patience

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

This thread continues to border on the absurd. I suggest everyone looks up the definition of "contract" before they spout off about how Drury needs to forfeit the final year of the deal.

And the Gil Meche example? Really? You'll probably find a lot of people that think thats the noble thing to do. You'll also probably find a lot of people like me, who think hes an idiot for forfeiting what both sides thought he was rightfully entitled to at the time of his signing.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:47 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This thread continues to border on the absurd. I suggest everyone looks up the definition of "contract" before they spout off about how Drury needs to forfeit the final year of the deal.

And the Gil Meche example? Really? You'll probably find a lot of people that think thats the noble thing to do. You'll also probably find a lot of people like me, who think hes an idiot for forfeiting what both sides thought he was rightfully entitled to at the time of his signing.
I guess it's a matter of perspective. I didn't think Markus Naslund was an idiot for turning down the $3 mil he was still owed for the final year of his contract and he was a lot more capable of playing that year than Drury looks to be next year and at the same time there is really no question that if Chris can't do a hell of a lot more for us next year than he's done the last two his contract then seriously hampers the Rangers ability to be better. One could question if that's how it turns out just what being a good teammate means to him. At least if that were proved to be the case the money would seem more important to him than the team.

I would hope it doesn't go that far. If he doesn't retire--then he should be bought out. He's made plenty of money. I don't see why that would be such an issue.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:49 PM
94now

Gil Meche give back money to the poorest club of the MLB. There is no cap in baseball, so he did not take some other pitcher spot either. Plus he could be an idiot as suggested by BBB. Or he may be given a front office job with club. Who knows... Why would Drury give money back to Dolan and cap space to Sather? Just a fantasy...

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:57 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I guess it's a matter of perspective. I didn't think Markus Naslund was an idiot for turning down the $3 mil he was still owed for the final year of his contract and he was a lot more capable of playing that year than He's made plenty of money. I don't see why that would be such an issue.
Naslund got GM job in Sweden. Job worth more than money sometimes. Also 3 million >>> 5 million. It's whole $2,000,000.00 difference in case you missed it. More than that because Sweden tax his wealthy citizens 70% or more.
Sorry, but highlighted statement is silly, plenty for whom? Something unusual from well respected poster like you. This is capitalist country, as you know. Lots of money for living could be not enough for little investment.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I guess it's a matter of perspective. I didn't think Markus Naslund was an idiot for turning down the $3 mil he was still owed for the final year of his contract and he was a lot more capable of playing that year than Drury looks to be next year and at the same time there is really no question that if Chris can't do a hell of a lot more for us next year than he's done the last two his contract then seriously hampers the Rangers ability to be better. One could question if that's how it turns out just what being a good teammate means to him. At least if that were proved to be the case the money would seem more important to him than the team.

I would hope it doesn't go that far. If he doesn't retire--then he should be bought out. He's made plenty of money. I don't see why that would be such an issue.
I think the issue with Naslund was pretty cut and dry. He saw the writing on the wall with Torts coming aboard and was unwilling to put in that type of work at that stage in his career, even for a few million.

You can make the argument that Drury is physically unable to do it anymore, but hes not physically unwilling. That goes against everything hes been his entire career.

And again, I ask some of you to step out of the fan prism and ask the question 'what does Chris Drury owe the Rangers?' Why should he retire when he doesnt want to? Just to save the team capspace? Just to null a deal whose terms were negotiated and agreed upon between both sides? Its a ridiculous, ridiculous notion.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:49 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Naslund got GM job in Sweden. Job worth more than money sometimes. Also 3 million >>> 5 million. It's whole $2,000,000.00 difference in case you missed it. More than that because Sweden tax his wealthy citizens 70% or more.
Sorry, but highlighted statement is silly, plenty for whom? Something unusual from well respected poster like you. This is capitalist country, as you know. Lots of money for living could be not enough for little investment.
Most people would think 5>>3 but not sure you just need to edit your post. Well taken for what it's worth I'd have to think from the rest of your post that Drury should just think in terms of his compensation over the good of the team. He's willing to take his 'lesser role' (his words not mine)--maybe even just sit in the stands. Before the reality of the cap came along--this would have made no difference at all. Part of the problem here is Bettman and the owners have turned hockey fans into capologists. Nice of the ****ers. But again in real terms of NHL cap world the reality is money badly spent hurts the team spending it. Hard to believe in any case that having scored some $30+ mil over the last 4 years for scoring somewhere around 60 goals total--and not even remarking on monies he made before, or from investments etal that it's more than misplaced pride that would bring Drury back. In other words he should have way more than enough money to live comfortably for several lifetimes. So what's the big ****ing deal about that last $5 mil--is it so he can be next year's Todd White?

This is probably heresy to some but capitalism for what it's worth is not without flaws--one of which is when unregulated it has a habit of becoming a spectacle of big fish eating little ones--without the slightest speck of regard.

Old
05-04-2011, 02:02 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Most people would think 5>>3 but not sure you just need to edit your post. Well taken for what it's worth I'd have to think from the rest of your post that Drury should just think in terms of his compensation over the good of the team. He's willing to take his 'lesser role' (his words not mine)--maybe even just sit in the stands. Before the reality of the cap came along--this would have made no difference at all. Part of the problem here is Bettman and the owners have turned hockey fans into capologists. Nice of the ****ers. But again in real terms of NHL cap world the reality is money badly spent hurts the team spending it. Hard to believe in any case that having scored some $30+ mil over the last 4 years for scoring somewhere around 60 goals total--and not even remarking on monies he made before, or from investments etal that it's more than misplaced pride that would bring Drury back. In other words he should have way more than enough money to live comfortably for several lifetimes. So what's the big ****ing deal about that last $5 mil--is it so he can be next year's Todd White?

This is probably heresy to some but capitalism for what it's worth is not without flaws--one of which is when unregulated it has a habit of becoming a spectacle of big fish eating little ones--without the slightest speck of regard.
DING DING DING

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:39 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
DING DING DING
Is that the stock exhange bell?

Old
05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Probably for about 99.99% of the entire world.

If you really don't think the amount of money Drury has amassed over his entire career is enough for him and his family to continue living comfortably and doing pretty much anything they want, then .

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
Probably for about 99.99% of the entire world.

If you really don't think the amount of money Drury has amassed over his entire career is enough for him and his family to continue living comfortably and doing pretty much anything they want, then .
When you have a larger salary, you buy more expensive things. Not saying that he was not paid enough to satisfy my wildest financial dreams. That is why you see so many athletes going broke after they retire, because money management was never something they had to worry about before. Idk I would not walk away from 5 mil especially when I still believe I can play

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
When you have a larger salary, you buy more expensive things. Not saying that he was not paid enough to satisfy my wildest financial dreams. That is why you see so many athletes going broke after they retire, because money management was never something they had to worry about before.
That's predominantly a factor with NFL players because their shelf-life in the league is so short and many are more inclined for cultural reasons to live a lavish lifestyle. Any individual with half a brain would recognize the limited income window for what it is, and plan accordingly. I strongly doubt a guy like Drury has been mismanaging his money throughout his career.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:41 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
When you have a larger salary, you buy more expensive things. Not saying that he was not paid enough to satisfy my wildest financial dreams. That is why you see so many athletes going broke after they retire, because money management was never something they had to worry about before. Idk I would not walk away from 5 mil especially when I still believe I can play
I'm sure it gets boring--'I think I'll go out and buy another new car today'. $30 mil might buy you a 'real' castle in Europe. But really I suspect he's got a very nice home and maybe a vacation cabin or two--a few cars to choose from--his pizza restaraunt, a bunch of employees, boats?, 4 wheelers?, snowmobiles?--still that kind of money easily covers that--his taxes are probably pretty high and he's got to pay his agent 10% but financial worries--I don't think so. Atheletes have shorter shelf lives but many like Drury make massive amounts of money compared to the great mass of people living around them. Invest fairly wisely and more and more money is going to just come rolling in. Drury strikes me as a smart guy--and likely to be conservative how he handles his cash.