HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Value of Habs Players

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-02-2011, 06:33 PM
  #76
Spectaculard
Registered User
 
Spectaculard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,204
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post

Mike Cammalleri
Max Pacioretty
Louis Leblanc
P.K. Subban
First Round 2011

.
Bahahahaha! Nice one.

Shero can only wish you were the habs gm.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 07:45 PM
  #77
Smoke Monster
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
to Montreal: Paul Stastny, Erik Johnson, Peter Mueller, Kyle Cumiskey
to Colorado: P.K. Subban, Carey Price, Scott Gomez, Jaroslav Spacek, Benoit Pouliot

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.500m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($2.600m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Peter Mueller ($2.000m)
Eric Boulton ($0.650m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.600m) / Ryan White ($0.550m)
David Desharnais ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($4.500m) / Erik Johnson ($2.600m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.000m) / James Wisniewski ($4.000m)
Hal Gill ($1.750m) / Josh Gorges ($1.900m)
Jim Vandermeer ($2.000m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.200m) / Alex Auld ($0.800m)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,070,833; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $2,729,167


Last edited by Smoke Monster: 05-02-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Smoke Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 10:31 PM
  #78
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Here's the more useful hypothetical, re-do the 2007 entry draft to see where PK would go. Here's mine:

1) Patrick Kane
2) PK Subban

Is there anyone else from that draft that you'd rather have?

HM: James Van Riemsdyk, Karl Alzner, Kevin Shattenkirk, Sam Gagner, Logan Couture, Max Pacioretty, David Perron, Wayne Simmonds, Jamie Benn, Jakub Voracek, Angelo Esposito.

If you happen to be a Boston fan, add in Zack Hamil and Tommy Cross too.
Logan Couture is looking pretty damn good. I think JVR will be a stud and I was surprised that Turris hasn't produced yet the way I thought he might.

I think you're probably right though. At present time I think PK would probably go 2nd overall. It's very, very early in the careers of these kids though, far too soon to say who'll go on to have the best career.

If I had to choose though, Subban would go 2nd.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:34 PM
  #79
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
I'd do Subban for Tavares. Would NYI do it? Most probably not. But, it would be better to get Tavares without losing PK since they are good buddies.
not an effen chance

one will win the Norris one day

the other will be a nice 70-80 finesse forward who will never win anything or carry a team

PK is untouchable right now

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:38 PM
  #80
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
I wouldn't have the need to bet. Holland would hang up in an instant, primarily because nothing barring one of the top five players in the league would motivate him to trade Datsyuk. He is twice the player Plekanec is and his departure would be an enormous blow to the Red Wings, especially when Lidstrom retires. Speaking of whom, please tell me you have not insinuated Subban has the potential to enter Lidstrom's tier.

No I am not overvaluing him. Malkin is arguably the fourth best player in the NHL. He is a 100+ point player on a given average and is all of twenty four. Pittsburgh has no reason to move him excluding gross overpayment and would hang up on anything less. Subban has a single season under his pelt. His value is not even close to either of the two.

As for age, interesting. I seem to recall Datsyuk plays with someone relatively old, with a plethora of Norris trophies, is still considered the best defensemen in the league. Actually I believe I mentioned him here already and he is pushing forty one, non?

Jesting aside, you must never have watched Datsyuk play. He is debatably the best overall player in the league. This season alone he was on pace for 90+ until his injury. That is almost double everyone excluding Plekanec on our roster and his defensive play is simply phenomenal. You can debate age to your hearts desire but as of this moment Datsyuk has significantly more value than Subban.



... and this is where you solidify you are officially worse than Leaf fans for overvaluing your favorite player. Translated, you have just said you would not trade Subban straight up for, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Weber, Doughty, Keith, Sedins, Kesler, Parise and the list the goes on. If any of those players were offered for Subban and you refused. Congratulations, Mike Milbury is not the worst GM in NHL history anymore.

I know precisely what we have as a player here. A talented young defensemen with upper tier potential. Everyone on that list is still better, and by a considerable to enormous margin, depending on who you compare him to and you would be out of your mind to refuse a straight up trade for anyof them. Do yourself a favor, watch Ryan Kesler in the Nashville series. Scoreless he is still the best player on both teams combined, excluding maybe Rinne. This is a guy who just put up forty one goals in the season. He would be what Montreal fans drool over at center.

Cap hit is irrelevant when you consider Subban's is up for a renewal next year, and if he is as good as you believe he will be. We will be paying him $6m or he will get an offer elsewhere.



Mate... this is one season, one season. Now read that back again, and one more time just to be certain in sunk in. You are calling Subban a franchise player, and comparing him to arguably the best overall player in the league based on one season. Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Subban is not a franchise player, he is a considerably talented with upper tier level potential by current estimation. You want a franchise defenseman? Watch Drew Doughty last season. Just to settle in comparisons, Doughty was up for the Norris in only his second season. That is a franchise defenseman. Could Subban emulate Doughty's success? Certainly, but it is debatable if he ever will.

If in two years Subban has continued to elevate his game and is a perpetual 50+ point player, as his game is liable to accumulate a larger point production, then we can have this decision. Until then, you have no idea what in the world you are talking about. I guarantee outside of some other Hab fans, no one would agree with you Plekanec and Subban are worth Datsyuk or Malkin.

Edit:

Just to do an overview of why it would cost so much...

Cammalleri: Inconsistent forward, who is slightly overpaid; has a deadly wrist shot, is strong in the offensive zone but invisible when not scoring. Elevates his game noticeably in the playoffs
Pacioretty: Unproven power forward with reasonable ceiling, solid battler alongside the boards, grinds his way to the net; a perpetual 50-60 cailber player.
Subban: Fantastic rookie season, albeit has defensive lapses that need development, has a booming slap shot, solid puck control, is an excellent skater and can handle a heavy workload. High potential; top twenty, as early as next season.
LeBlanc: No NHL experience. Is a good tier prospect, liable to be a productive player but estimations suggest 60-70s point total at best.
First Round: Weak draft

Subban is the only one with anything close to Malkin's level at this current time, hence the gross overpayment it would require.
correction ...Cammy is very overpaid

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:54 PM
  #81
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
I wouldn't have the need to bet. Holland would hang up in an instant, primarily because nothing barring one of the top five players in the league would motivate him to trade Datsyuk. He is twice the player Plekanec is and his departure would be an enormous blow to the Red Wings, especially when Lidstrom retires. Speaking of whom, please tell me you have not insinuated Subban has the potential to enter Lidstrom's tier.

No I am not overvaluing him. Malkin is arguably the fourth best player in the NHL. He is a 100+ point player on a given average and is all of twenty four. Pittsburgh has no reason to move him excluding gross overpayment and would hang up on anything less. Subban has a single season under his pelt. His value is not even close to either of the two.

As for age, interesting. I seem to recall Datsyuk plays with someone relatively old, with a plethora of Norris trophies, is still considered the best defensemen in the league. Actually I believe I mentioned him here already and he is pushing forty one, non?

Jesting aside, you must never have watched Datsyuk play. He is debatably the best overall player in the league. This season alone he was on pace for 90+ until his injury. That is almost double everyone excluding Plekanec on our roster and his defensive play is simply phenomenal. You can debate age to your hearts desire but as of this moment Datsyuk has significantly more value than Subban.



... and this is where you solidify you are officially worse than Leaf fans for overvaluing your favorite player. Translated, you have just said you would not trade Subban straight up for, Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, Weber, Doughty, Keith, Sedins, Kesler, Parise and the list the goes on. If any of those players were offered for Subban and you refused. Congratulations, Mike Milbury is not the worst GM in NHL history anymore.

I know precisely what we have as a player here. A talented young defensemen with upper tier potential. Everyone on that list is still better, and by a considerable to enormous margin, depending on who you compare him to and you would be out of your mind to refuse a straight up trade for anyof them. Do yourself a favor, watch Ryan Kesler in the Nashville series. Scoreless he is still the best player on both teams combined, excluding maybe Rinne. This is a guy who just put up forty one goals in the season. He would be what Montreal fans drool over at center.

Cap hit is irrelevant when you consider Subban's is up for a renewal next year, and if he is as good as you believe he will be. We will be paying him $6m or he will get an offer elsewhere.



Mate... this is one season, one season. Now read that back again, and one more time just to be certain in sunk in. You are calling Subban a franchise player, and comparing him to arguably the best overall player in the league based on one season. Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? Subban is not a franchise player, he is a considerably talented with upper tier level potential by current estimation. You want a franchise defenseman? Watch Drew Doughty last season. Just to settle in comparisons, Doughty was up for the Norris in only his second season. That is a franchise defenseman. Could Subban emulate Doughty's success? Certainly, but it is debatable if he ever will.

If in two years Subban has continued to elevate his game and is a perpetual 50+ point player, as his game is liable to accumulate a larger point production, then we can have this decision. Until then, you have no idea what in the world you are talking about. I guarantee outside of some other Hab fans, no one would agree with you Plekanec and Subban are worth Datsyuk or Malkin.

Edit:

Just to do an overview of why it would cost so much...

Cammalleri: Inconsistent forward, who is slightly overpaid; has a deadly wrist shot, is strong in the offensive zone but invisible when not scoring. Elevates his game noticeably in the playoffs
Pacioretty: Unproven power forward with reasonable ceiling, solid battler alongside the boards, grinds his way to the net; a perpetual 50-60 cailber player.
Subban: Fantastic rookie season, albeit has defensive lapses that need development, has a booming slap shot, solid puck control, is an excellent skater and can handle a heavy workload. High potential; top twenty, as early as next season.
LeBlanc: No NHL experience. Is a good tier prospect, liable to be a productive player but estimations suggest 60-70s point total at best.
First Round: Weak draft

Subban is the only one with anything close to Malkin's level at this current time, hence the gross overpayment it would require.
I guarantee outside of some other Hab fans, no one would agree with you Plekanec and Subban are worth Datsyuk or Malkin.

the above you mentioned is tempting for both teams bro

With Lidstom retiring ....Pk will be a top 3 Damn soon enough and Pleks will get 60 points .....clearly Datsyuk is great ...the best 2 way player in hockey but he is 32
and the team needs tinkering as they age ....remember Zetterburg is already showing wear and tear

I dont think either team would hang up right away ....trust me bro Subban is special
....I have never seen a combination of wheels and game breaking ability since Coffey
but Subban has a nasty edge Coffey never did .

fans this guy anchored a wounded beat up d ....put up good stats on a team scrutinized night and day and excelled ...

I dont think we realize how truly gifted he is and folks our D stinks in general

SORRY FOR ME I DONT TRADE HIM AT ALL

Doughty has Jack Johnson...Scuderi ....and better overal cast of players to work with ...with way less pressure to win

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:00 PM
  #82
Habsrule
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Trade Value of Habs Players

Of the players on the roster what do you think would be their trade value. I am only going to list the players who I feel could be traded.

Scott Gomez--we all know why he should be moved.
Travis Moen-I feel as if Ryan White has took his spot.
Benoit Pouliot-has been in the dog house a lot.
David Desharnais-could he fetch a bigger scorer?
Tom Pyatt-where is he on the depth chart?
Jaroslav Spacek-his salary is too high.
Alexander Picard-will he even play in the NHL or in Hamilton next year?
Dustin Boyd-could he play on another team?
Nigel Dawes-is he in the plans for the Habs next year?


Anyone else please add to the list.

Habsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:05 PM
  #83
bcv
My french sucks.
 
bcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
Of the players on the roster what do you think would be their trade value. I am only going to list the players who I feel could be traded.

Scott Gomez--we all know why he should be moved.
Travis Moen-I feel as if Ryan White has took his spot.
Benoit Pouliot-has been in the dog house a lot.
David Desharnais-could he fetch a bigger scorer?
Tom Pyatt-where is he on the depth chart?
Jaroslav Spacek-his salary is too high.
Alexander Picard-will he even play in the NHL or in Hamilton next year?
Dustin Boyd-could he play on another team?
Nigel Dawes-is he in the plans for the Habs next year?


Anyone else please add to the list.
Scott Gomez--wont move, imo.
Benoit Pouliot-Will probably be qualified, but be traded for some asset (draft)
David Desharnais-Would be a bad move, considering that he will chip in 40pts and will make less than 1mil
Tom Pyatt-Always useful, plus wont get anything for him
Jaroslav Spacek-his salary is too high. = Wont be move
Alexander Picard-Not qualified, he is already gone.
Dustin Boyd-Wont sign with the club, and probably wont be qualified
Nigel Dawes-is he in the plans for the Habs next year? I dont think so.

bcv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:32 PM
  #84
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Pouliot probably has until xmas to start lighting it up for us or at least playing well generally. Then I'm sure he'll be moved for a pick or prospect.

Gomez - won't be moved.
Spacek - Could be bought out or moved, but I figure it would be Spacek for future considerations at best. Maybe even at the cost of a low pick. Best possible scenario is waivers and even then, doubtful. One of the biggest let down signings in recent memory. I expected this guy to be a star here. (Played well for Buffalo)

Desharnais is a keeper.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:52 PM
  #85
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Exactly. You need to factor in age, cap, how that player will effect cap, potential, all those things now a days when you do a trade.

This isn't the Lindros era.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 02:53 PM
  #86
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
My guess:

Scott Gomez- negative value, trade for another team's problem
Travis Moen- 4th round pick
Benoit Pouliot- 2nd round pick (I find this one toughest to predict)
David Desharnais- 2nd round pick (comparable to Grabovsky)
Tom Pyatt- mid round pick (comparable to Lapierre)
Jaroslav Spacek- 3rd round pick (comparable to Staios)
Alexander Picard- late pick
Dustin Boyd- nothing
Nigel Dawes- nothing

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:01 PM
  #87
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
I thought this thread was about how much the players we want to get rid of are worth, so here goes:
(though I'll only bother listing the players that other teams may actually want)

Benoit Pouliot: Up-and-down player with good size. Still young. Still talented. can be had for a 3rd rounder or young prospect (who's a project).

Andrei Kostitsyn: I'm pretty sure his stock went up over the last month or two of the season. I'd imagine a 2nd rounder and a good prospect (something like a Danny Kristo) would be the type of deal pitched to Gauthier.

Jaroslav Spacek: Maybe a 7th round pick but I doubt it. I think he's even more untradeable than Gomez.

Josh Gorges?: I don't want to trade him, but he'd no doubt be valuable in a trade. If Gauthier knew for sure that Emelin was coming over instance, and if he was able to re-sign both Wizniewski and Markov, maybe Gorges could become trade bait, alongside Pouliot or Kostitsyn for a top line winger. I wouldn't do it, but sometimes you have to be creative as a GM. Anything is possible this year, imo.

Yannick Weber: Another guy I'd love to keep, but could be tantalizing to other GM's. Already a good puck mover and PP specialist, Weber showed an ability to be more physical this year, and if he continues to improve in that area, he could become a very valuable player for any team. I'd say on his own he's worth about what a Nick Leddy on Chicago is worth at the moment. Leddy, you'll remember, was traded almost exclusively for Cam Barker.

Out of all these players, the only player I see actually being on the move is Pouliot. It will be a very interesting couple of months though. I think that Markov will be the first big domino to fall, subsequently effecting most of the other free agents. (besides Halpern, Mara and Sopel, who i assume are gone regardless.)

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:03 PM
  #88
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I thought this thread was about how much the players we want to get rid of are worth, so here goes:
(though I'll only bother listing the players that other teams may actually want)

Benoit Pouliot: Up-and-down player with good size. Still young. Still talented. can be had for a 3rd rounder or young prospect (who's a project).

Andrei Kostitsyn: I'm pretty sure his stock went up over the last month or two of the season. I'd imagine a 2nd rounder and a good prospect (something like a Danny Kristo) would be the type of deal pitched to Gauthier.

Jaroslav Spacek: Maybe a 7th round pick but I doubt it. I think he's even more untradeable than Gomez.

Josh Gorges?: I don't want to trade him, but he'd no doubt be valuable in a trade. If Gauthier knew for sure that Emelin was coming over instance, and if he was able to re-sign both Wizniewski and Markov, maybe Gorges could become trade bait, alongside Pouliot or Kostitsyn for a top line winger. I wouldn't do it, but sometimes you have to be creative as a GM. Anything is possible this year, imo.

Yannick Weber: Another guy I'd love to keep, but could be tantalizing to other GM's. Already a good puck mover and PP specialist, Weber showed an ability to be more physical this year, and if he continues to improve in that area, he could become a very valuable player for any team. I'd say on his own he's worth about what a Nick Leddy on Chicago is worth at the moment. Leddy, you'll remember, was traded almost exclusively for Cam Barker.

Out of all these players, the only player I see actually being on the move is Pouliot. It will be a very interesting couple of months though. I think that Markov will be the first big domino to fall, subsequently effecting most of the other free agents. (besides Halpern, Mara and Sopel, who i assume are gone regardless.)
Why would Halpern be gone regardless of what happens? I can see him being re-signed with a bit of a raise, he was a solid contributor this past year(faceoffs, PK, offense) in limited ice time, plus he is a quality guy in the room.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:06 PM
  #89
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Straight up I'd say its fair value, however neither team would do it.
The Flyers would do that in a milisecond. They would clear about 4 mil of cap space, plus PK is already as valuable as Carter as a rookie. Carter is a good player, but there are more guys like that around than defensemen that can play big minutes and make an imapct at both ends.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:08 PM
  #90
7th Player
Registered User
 
7th Player's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,959
vCash: 500
Scott Gomez- Youíll be trading for another teamsí albatross contract, a la Redden or Horcoff
Travis Moen- Seems like bottom-6 players go for 4-5th round picks (Lapierre, Brown, Eager)
Benoit Pouliot-Could fetch a reclamation project (Tlusty comes to mind)
David Desharnais-Pretty slim, teams with little to no offensive threat could part way with a 4-6th round pick
Tom Pyatt-Value is lower than Moenís, think 6-7th rounder
Jaroslav Spacek-As you said, salary too high, but once the season starts experienced D-men can go for 2nd 3rd rounder when they are impending UFA
Alexander Picard-No value, if the Habs donít qualify him heíll probably end up somewhere in the AHL or Europe
Dustin Boyd-Wonít be qualified, so no value there
Nigel Dawes-An equivalent borderline AHL/NHL player, think Tim Kennedy, Kendal McCardle, Jay Beagle. Better off keeping him for Bulldogs depth

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:34 PM
  #91
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,030
vCash: 500
Trading Desharnais isn't a good idea. Players like him are always undervalued compared to drafted players that are bigger. If we trade him one on one we'll get a 3rd rounder, a washed up guy or a no potential 4th liner. Then we'll potentially see Desharnais score 50+ point seasons for someone else. Sure if we keep him its possible we end up having no place for him (if he fails to maintain a high level of play) but it doesn't really matter since he's very cheap and can be 13th attacker, which is probably about as good as anyone we could get for him. At best he'll be a top6 player, and there is no way we can trade him for one of those.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:41 PM
  #92
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Trading Desharnais isn't a good idea. Players like him are always undervalued compared to drafted players that are bigger. If we trade him one on one we'll get a 3rd rounder, a washed up guy or a no potential 4th liner. Then we'll potentially see Desharnais score 50+ point seasons for someone else. Sure if we keep him its possible we end up having no place for him (if he fails to maintain a high level of play) but it doesn't really matter since he's very cheap and can be 13th attacker, which is probably about as good as anyone we could get for him. At best he'll be a top6 player, and there is no way we can trade him for one of those.
I agree, I think he brings a great deal to the team as a bottom 6 guy that can help the PP and play a bigger role in case of injuries. Him and Eller are a good fit as #3-4 centers.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 03:46 PM
  #93
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Spacek isn't as nearly as bad as you make him out to be... We could trade Spacek to another team's problem (like Commodore) and buy this other player out or bury him in the AHL... as long as he isn't a 35+ player (which Commodore isn't).

I think Pouilot and AK are the two players that will be traded and fetch us the best return... I would love to get a couple of 2nd rounders in this year draft + other assets for these two guys.

MTL-rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:02 PM
  #94
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why would Halpern be gone regardless of what happens? I can see him being re-signed with a bit of a raise, he was a solid contributor this past year(faceoffs, PK, offense) in limited ice time, plus he is a quality guy in the room.
I would like him back, but he had the same qualities as Metropolit and Moore, and they didn't last longer than a year. All to say i'm just assuming here. I wouldn't mind seeing Engqvist as our 4th line center, though.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:15 PM
  #95
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Engqvist as our 4th line center, though.
I'm a fan of starting waiver ineligible players in the AHL, except for phenoms (Subban). If Engqvist keeps progressing, he'll get plenty of NHL games next season, even if he starts as our 14th or 15th forward.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:26 PM
  #96
UniverStalinGraduate*
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I'm a fan of starting waiver ineligible players in the AHL, except for phenoms (Subban). If Engqvist keeps progressing, he'll get plenty of NHL games next season, even if he starts as our 14th or 15th forward.

Poulin I think Subban spending a year in the AHL was great for him.

Love the idea of Enqvist in that 4th line center slot.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 04:42 PM
  #97
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Poulin I think Subban spending a year in the AHL was great for him.

Love the idea of Enqvist in that 4th line center slot.
Yeah I really don't see why we can't start the year with a bottom 6 comprised mostly of 2nd and 3rd year players. Guys like White, Pyatt, Deharnais, Eller and maybe Engqvist are all pretty well acquainted with the system, and know their role on the team. The key to this team's success, imo, is having a mobile, puck moving D. I'd save money on bottom 6 forwards, and put the excess cash into locking up Markov, Wizniewski and maybe even Emelin. We're a goalie out kind of team, a team that thrives off of speed out of our own zone, stretch passes, and creating off the counter attack. Unfortunately, with slower guys like Hamrlik, Spacek and Gill, we don't implement this gameplan enough. I've always said that all your forwards look better, faster and more skilled when your D are consistently pushing the play. Now imagine 3 different waves of defensman featuring one of Markov, Subban and Wizniewski. We would be dominant.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:03 PM
  #98
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I'd save money on bottom 6 forwards
Are there any substantial savings? What's the cost of a veteran vs rookie bottom 6 forward?

Engqvist is due to make $900k next season. Halpern made $600k this season, Darche made $500k. Phoenix made the playoffs with Eric Belanger making $750k, Taylor Pyatt making $1m, Vernon Fiddler making $1.1m. Tampa has Dominic Moore at $1.1m and Sean Bergenheim at $700k.

Seems to me that by going with an established NHL'er at 4C, it won't cost much more, if any. And we won't be forced to go with Fortier or make a trade when injuries hit.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:33 PM
  #99
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Are there any substantial savings? What's the cost of a veteran vs rookie bottom 6 forward?

Engqvist is due to make $900k next season. Halpern made $600k this season, Darche made $500k. Phoenix made the playoffs with Eric Belanger making $750k, Taylor Pyatt making $1m, Vernon Fiddler making $1.1m. Tampa has Dominic Moore at $1.1m and Sean Bergenheim at $700k.

Seems to me that by going with an established NHL'er at 4C, it won't cost much more, if any. And we won't be forced to go with Fortier or make a trade when injuries hit.
Yeah that's a good point. I guess in the end i don't really mind if Halpern comes back. i just want to Gauthier to put an emphasis on locking up younger, faster more skilled D.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:44 PM
  #100
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I thought this thread was about how much the players we want to get rid of are worth, so here goes:
(though I'll only bother listing the players that other teams may actually want)

Benoit Pouliot: Up-and-down player with good size. Still young. Still talented. can be had for a 3rd rounder or young prospect (who's a project).

Andrei Kostitsyn: I'm pretty sure his stock went up over the last month or two of the season. I'd imagine a 2nd rounder and a good prospect (something like a Danny Kristo) would be the type of deal pitched to Gauthier.

Jaroslav Spacek: Maybe a 7th round pick but I doubt it. I think he's even more untradeable than Gomez.

Josh Gorges?: I don't want to trade him, but he'd no doubt be valuable in a trade. If Gauthier knew for sure that Emelin was coming over instance, and if he was able to re-sign both Wizniewski and Markov, maybe Gorges could become trade bait, alongside Pouliot or Kostitsyn for a top line winger. I wouldn't do it, but sometimes you have to be creative as a GM. Anything is possible this year, imo.

Yannick Weber: Another guy I'd love to keep, but could be tantalizing to other GM's. Already a good puck mover and PP specialist, Weber showed an ability to be more physical this year, and if he continues to improve in that area, he could become a very valuable player for any team. I'd say on his own he's worth about what a Nick Leddy on Chicago is worth at the moment. Leddy, you'll remember, was traded almost exclusively for Cam Barker.

Out of all these players, the only player I see actually being on the move is Pouliot. It will be a very interesting couple of months though. I think that Markov will be the first big domino to fall, subsequently effecting most of the other free agents. (besides Halpern, Mara and Sopel, who i assume are gone regardless.)
IMO you undervalue both Pouliot and Kostitsyn. I shudder to think about Kostitsyn ending up with a team like the Bruins.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.