HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How many of you right handed player shoot left handed?

Old
04-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Kulluminati

vCash: 500
Right handed and play hockey right handed, I'm right handed in every sport actually.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:49 AM
IceMedic

Right handed general but play hockey left handed. Baseball swing left but play right. No reason why, just as a kid did what was comfortable. Interesting is that my golf is right handed, but only because my dad's clubs were right handed when I was a kid and that's what I learned.

IceMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:44 PM
stupendousman

Like the OP, I write right handed, and my right is my dominant hand. But I shoot left handed, swing left handed in golf and baseball, and kick left footed in soccer.

stupendousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 11:26 PM
LarryO

Has anyone ever considered that maybe they write with their right hand because their parents kept placing the crayons in their right hand when they were infants to conform to a right-handed world, despite being naturally left-handed? Doesn't the law of averages suggest that about half of us should be naturally left-handed?

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 12:59 AM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

Anything that involves swinging I'm a lefty. Everything else is right handed.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Daryl

I am right handed but every sport I use my left: in hockey,baseball etc and I kick with my left in soccer.

Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:34 PM
don28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
Has anyone ever considered that maybe they write with their right hand because their parents kept placing the crayons in their right hand when they were infants to conform to a right-handed world, despite being naturally left-handed? Doesn't the law of averages suggest that about half of us should be naturally left-handed?
Actually, I have thought about this many times. I think once I started boxing (about 20 years ago), I realized that some things were easier for me to do left-handed than the "natural" right-handed.

I could always bat both sides, but then decided to take it to another level. I realized that I could throw pretty decently left-handed (I could be equally good if I actually practiced.) I started shooting right-handed before I could skate, but after reading up on the subject from Canadian sources I tried to shoot left-handed. When I realized that I could shoot equally good without ever having practiced left-handed, I knew that I had to go left-handed and ramp up the practice.

Now, I can barely get a puck off the ice right-handed, and nowhere near the same velocity that I can generate left-handed.

don28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 08:32 PM
wsoxfan1214

I'm ambidextrous, but if I had to pick the hand I'd prefer, I'd say I'm predominantly right-handed. However, I shoot lefty.

wsoxfan1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 05:48 PM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Has anyone played for many years shooting on one side, but then ended up making the switch to the other?

Again, I shoot left but I'm a righty.I can stick handle pretty good left, but my shooting is terrible. I can slap and snap alright, but wristers are weak. I've considered switching because shooting feels so more natural on my right side, but I'd have to learn how to stick handle all over again.

Anyone?

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Gold Pads*
HE SHOOTS HE SCORES!

right handed shoot right

Gold Pads* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Lazea

I'm also right handed but I shoot left. I've always wondered why. My dad is left and shoots left. My brother is left handed but shoots right. :S

Lazea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:33 PM
hckyfan0099

I am pretty weird when it comes to handedness:

Shoot (hockey): Right
Write: Left
Shoot (gun): Right
Guitar(...hero): Left
Throw: Right
Brush teeth: Left

It seems a lot of technical stuff I am left handed but for anything that requires power, I am right handed.

hckyfan0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:41 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Shoot Left
Write Right
Golf Left
Tennis Right
Throw Right
Bat Left

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

Write right
Shoot left
Bat left
Golf left
Throw left
Mast...you get the point left

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:33 AM
Sharpshooter101
Rookie User

I am right handed shooting on the right side.

Furthermore, to respond to many people on here, it's not only the fact of having your strong hand down that may help your pace as much as generating the power from the most coordinated side of your body. When you have your right hand down, it means you also push off your right side and the complex sequence of action is thus taken from your most coordinated side...

In the end, all of this is developed and not inherent... then, I may myself confirm the rumors: despite having started playing hockey on the ice later than everyone I know, I always had the hang of shooting hard; on the other side, my stickhandling never made me famous, so to speak and, although I have improved it, it required much more work. The hypothesis I support higher is coherent with my own life: the work I did outside the rink playing all other sports and activities as a young kid spared me a lot of shooting drill time whereas the limited amount of activities that required my left hand to move also meant I had to work harder to compensate on the ice.

There may be benefits, but they are learning time benefits: it's not you will or will not play that good or that bad... it's actually that having your best hand on the top will tend to give you an easier time stickhandling BECAUSE you improve your coordination with that hand and arm on a daily basis without even thinking about it; having it down the shaft will mean an easier time to shoot hard for a similar reason.

Weirdly enough, I do one thing on the other side: when I was a teenager, I rode the skateboard as a lefty. So, I'd surf, skateboard and snowboard as a lefty. I can bat both sides at baseball, but then I am an awful baseball player, so it's not a reference! XD

Sharpshooter101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Right handed except play sports lefty. My stickhandling is really good but my shooting sucks.
Exactly. I'm the direct opposite. Right handed and shoot right. I'll typically have one of the best wrist shots on my team(college, mens league), but can't stick handle around a pylon.

It's an interesting topic. Like was said, most kids in the US shoot right because that's how they bat in baseball. I always noticed most NHLers shot left.

I honestly believe the proper way is to have your dominant hand at the top. In other words a righty should shoot left. The top hand requires alot more coordination and intricate movements. Think about it. I can lift roughly the same weight in the gym with my left, but I can't thread a needle half as well.

Or maybe my theory is just an excuse as to why my stick handling sux

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post

Again, I shoot left but I'm a righty.I can stick handle pretty good left, but my shooting is terrible. I can slap and snap alright, but wristers are weak. I've considered switching because shooting feels so more natural on my right side, but I'd have to learn how to stick handle all over again.

Anyone?
Makes total sense. Careful what you wish for though. I'm a righty and shoot right. Good wrist shot, but can't stick handle to save my life and it's because of my top hand. I just don't have the coordination/strength in my left. I don't yet anyway.

Old
07-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Sharpshooter101
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
I just don't have the coordination/strength in my left. I don't yet anyway.
Well, I found out through playing that you just need to humble yourself a bit and start easy... build up the skills. If it takes 100 hours, play 100 hours of stick handling drills; if it takes 1000 hours, do so; and if it's 10 000 hours, work them out. But you can't just pick up a puck and try to do a through the leg 360 Michigan move followed by a hurricane from the first day on. However, you may hope to be able to dribble side to side, feet wide from the first day... the idea is to always work on something you can't do naturally, but that you can still pull off with effort - mental effort, mostly, - thinking through your movement, instead of making the movement without thinking.

Kovalev once answered some in an interview that he's so good at what he does because his father had him stickhandle through three pucks at least 10 minutes a day. Each time it become too easy, he got the pucks closer to one an other, adding little skating movements, toe drags and different heel and toes movements to make it harder... You don't need to do a world of things; you just need to find a way to keep yourself away from ease without going too far ahead.

I never been a good stickhandler - same as you: always the best shot you can find around with very little hand skills, - but last year, I started working a bit on it and I made a few experienced players look very silly. At one point, I started working on tricky movements just for the sake of making it different to coordinate - now, I can sway the puck from side to side like a Lacross player... pretty pointless in itself, but it worked on my coordination quite a bit. one instance of useful move I taught myself was the toe drag; even at 20 years old, when I saw my favorite player pulling it off over and over, I was like a little kid: i had to do it too! I spent about ten hours over 3 days to get it going, building slowly the dynamic component into it: I started stationary and slowly and, by the end, I was pulling it off while skating and faking. I used it during a friendly outdoor match and it just totally got the guy out of his skates... He used to see me as the skill-less guy and he was really pissed off I did that. He ended up throwing his stick in the boards by the end of the game.

Anyway, the point is: all skills are built; none are inherent. And the reason why all pros seem to give "silly and simple" advises when you ask them is because that's what you need to do before being able to adjust and maneuver with more complex movements. When you see a pro, in any sport, pulling off an insane-almost-out-of-nowhere move, remember one thing: it's never out of nowhere and it wouldn't be possible if he didn't master the basic form.

You can't shoot hard without proper form, no matter how powerful your body is; you can't skate fast without proper form, no matter that same power you may have; you can't stickhandle fast without looking if you don't have the appropriate movements down.

Old
07-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Guffaw

Thanks for the advice. I am working on it as I spent about 30 min yesterday on the ice stickhandling through pucks or just with my head up.

Is there anything off ice I can do to mimic it? A puck or a smooth sheet of something I can use in my driveway? Green biscuit? Even 10 min a day would help I'm sure.

Thanks for the advice

Old
07-23-2011, 01:01 PM
PointL00kout

Right handed and I'm a right hand shot. For me it's weird though because I switched sides when I was about 14 years old and found out I'm way better right handed then left handed, like way better, I can actually put the puck in the net now and have much better moves shooting right handed.

PointL00kout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Subnordi

I'm right handed, I shoot right and play center, I played right wing for a while before center, but now I realize it would've been smarter to play LW because of a better angle for shooting.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Bryan23

Write: right
Hockey: right
Bat: right
Golf: right
Pistol: right
Rifle: Left (allthough I can shoot a rifle just as well righty)

I tried to play hockey left a few times, but it was too uncomfortable.

Bryan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Flanagan
Registered Loser

vCash: 650
During hockey, whenever I have one hand on my stick it is my right, because I am right-handed.

Because of this, I shoot left.

It just makes sense.

Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2011, 11:34 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

I'm right-handed and I..

play hockey right-handed
play baseball right-handed (bat right and throw right)
golf right-handed

..and am competent in all those sports.

I find my slap and wrist shots are good. Unusually, my stick-handling might be my best asset but my shoulder, left forearm and wrist tire fairly quickly.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Sharpshooter101
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
Is there anything off ice I can do to mimic it? A puck or a smooth sheet of something I can use in my driveway? Green biscuit? Even 10 min a day would help I'm sure.

Thanks for the advice
If you have access to any smooth concrete surface like those you find in basement and garages, it can do the job fairly well. If it's really smooth and painted, you can even play a real puck. If you don't have access to these, vinyl flooring is a good option. Of course, if the surface is not perfectly slick, a green biscuit is a wonderful tool to use...

If you really have troubles with stickhandling, I would suggest you to do all of your drills with a PVC pipe over your stick until you get the hang of it. Hold it with your bottom hand; that way, your left hand is forced to do most of the job which is actually what you want to happen on the ice.

Of course, start simple; you can't try and do like Kovalev, putting three pucks a blade width apart and stickhandle through that without looking while using toe drags and stuff like that - it's way too hard to start up with. However, you may be able to start stickhandling side to side without looking or do that three pucks drill without looking. As you get better, start adding some footwork and make the movement more dynamic and more complex.

One other thing you might want to try is to actually stickhandle differently for the sake of working on your coordination in a different way. Instead of just pushing side to side, you may want to try and roll the puck on your blade to make it slide side to side... you just roll the puck heel to toe on both side as if you'd make a small pass. It feels weird and you should see that your stick turn in a round motion to make the puck go from side to side instead of actually following the puck. Some players use that to warm up, but I think the further you can encourage yourself to move your wrists to make slight adjustment, the easier it will be for you to handle the puck later on when you'll try to do way more complex stuff way faster.