HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders 3rd jersey for next season

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-03-2011, 06:14 PM
  #51
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks
 
åboriginal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: LV-426
Country: Finland
Posts: 24,027
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
It isnt a current jersey, but I believe this is what the OP meant.



Always liked these jerseys BTW and prefer them to the current green and blue abominations with the "fail whale" on the front.
i love those jerseys, so IF this is true and theyre going black, if its something like this...then i sortve want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I'm confident that panic made you say this comment and not actual reality. I'd rather the Isles wear pink than have the Fisherman ever again.
agreed

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:31 PM
  #52
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk
 
IslesRock4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 20,883
vCash: 500
These are two concepts I made earlier in the year, along with two black concepts featuring plenty of outrageous stripes and such that I could see this team doing.








__________________

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:47 PM
  #53
TenYearsGone
Registered User
 
TenYearsGone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TenYearsGone
Black isn't such a bad choice. The orange and blue will add a nice contrast and "blackout night" could be a successful ticket idea. Although I would prefer an orange alt of the current design.

TenYearsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 06:53 PM
  #54
WangMustGo
NYI
 
WangMustGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,380
vCash: 950
It would be cool if it had a lighthouse on it, either as a patch or on the crest. If it was on the crest it would be cool if it said Islanders above it. Really hope these jerseys are nice. I really like our current jerseys, and to have a bad 3rd jersey would just be fail.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 07:08 PM
  #55
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
How about the league stop trying to fleece people of there hard earned money on nonsense like "alternate" Jersey's that ring up to the hundreds of dollars. I know other sports do it but the NHL is blatant about having multiple Jersey's each and every season leaving the poor fan left out to spend more just to show there undying loyalty to a group of individuals who can care less. They then turn around and come out with a "newer" jersey. I still have the original Islanders Jersey I bought when I was 14 and I got it as an XL so it can always fit me. Had no interest in buying the gordon fisherman, no interest in buying the orange/blue nonsense and I still wont spend my money on the newer one.. which is just like the old one.

Rant over

No one is forcing you or anyone else to buy it. The beauty of capitalism, is you get to decide where you spend your money.



Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
These are two concepts I made earlier in the year, along with two black concepts featuring plenty of outrageous stripes and such that I could see this team doing.








Those look good. How about some dice or casino chips or a roulette wheel. You know for the pending casino deal.

I'm just kidding about the casino items on the jersey.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 07:26 PM
  #56
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisacodee View Post
1. Nobody's forcing you to buy the jersey
2. People without $300 to spend won't be buying the jersey
3. How dare Charles Wang or any other NHL owner try to make money


This franchise is starting to turn the corner in terms of on-ice talent, I thought maybe this board could finally chill with the constant Chicken Little attitude. Islanders have been a franchise since 1972 and have never once tried the black alternate. You can only do so much with Navy Blue and Orange. Let's look at the color scheme of the other black alternates in the NHL:


One color scheme that isn't on the list? Black and Blue. Just like we left the Penguins on 2/11, no other team is doing Black and Blue.
Tampa Bay has used various combinations of black and blue. They're dropping the black next year and I think it's a great idea. The 2011-2012 jerseys will be more distinctive and recognizable. The coyote black 3rd jerseys resemble the senators and the Hurricanes black 3rd jerseys from a distance.
Why would a team want uniforms that resemble other teams uniforms?

It's important to create an identity stick with it for recognition. I still can't tell you what the Diamondbacks uniforms look like. They're a different color every time I see them.

I'm not against a team making money and I would probably buy the 3rd jersey if it's not black. I have Islanders home, away, the orange jersey, and the white fisherman jersey with the NY classic crest (they eventually altered the fisherman jersey, by keeping the actual jersey, but going back to the classic crest).

I periodically wear my islander jerseys in the evening here in LA, and it's always fun when I run into someone that recogizes the distinctive orange and blue colors of their hometown. I'm sure if I wear an Islander black jersey, there's a chance I might be mistaken for a kings fan from behind.


Last edited by LAIslanderFan: 05-03-2011 at 07:31 PM.
LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 07:44 PM
  #57
mygameworn
Registered User
 
mygameworn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
I talked to Terry Goldstein last month about some things and asked him about an alternative jersey. He said "Please check back on next season's plans in August. We do not know at this time if a third jersey will be introduced next season."

Just thought I'd pass that a long.

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 07:52 PM
  #58
Gleb2006
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
It would be cool if it had a lighthouse on it, either as a patch or on the crest. If it was on the crest it would be cool if it said Islanders above it. Really hope these jerseys are nice. I really like our current jerseys, and to have a bad 3rd jersey would just be fail.
Or the lighthouse is a big I, and after the lighthouse it just says slanders

Gleb2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:35 PM
  #59
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,097
vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
IceAce posted the picture. In the 90's the Canucks had that black jersey with the "flying skate" logo. For years Vancouver had those cool green/blue jerseys (there current 3rd jersey, I think), then black became the trendy color (I think it had alot to do with the Raiders).

Canucks actually went to the black, gold, and orange color scheme in the 70's. Lest we forget these beauties.


IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:43 PM
  #60
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Tampa Bay has used various combinations of black and blue. They're dropping the black next year and I think it's a great idea. The 2011-2012 jerseys will be more distinctive and recognizable. The coyote black 3rd jerseys resemble the senators and the Hurricanes black 3rd jerseys from a distance.
Why would a team want uniforms that resemble other teams uniforms?

It's important to create an identity stick with it for recognition. I still can't tell you what the Diamondbacks uniforms look like. They're a different color every time I see them.

I'm not against a team making money and I would probably buy the 3rd jersey if it's not black. I have Islanders home, away, the orange jersey, and the white fisherman jersey with the NY classic crest (they eventually altered the fisherman jersey, by keeping the actual jersey, but going back to the classic crest).

I periodically wear my islander jerseys in the evening here in LA, and it's always fun when I run into someone that recogizes the distinctive orange and blue colors of their hometown. I'm sure if I wear an Islander black jersey, there's a chance I might be mistaken for a kings fan from behind.

They added some thin black lines between the colors. The fans were apparently upset that they removed black all together.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:00 PM
  #61
DarkHorse
Go Banana!
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500





DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:13 PM
  #62
pattyb91
Twitter: @pattyb94
 
pattyb91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
When I heard this rumor, I thought of something just like this....For some reason I think if they went through with the black idea, it would be like our regular home jerseys just instead of orange, blue and white it would be in black, silver/gray, and white.

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:38 PM
  #63
DarkHorse
Go Banana!
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb91 View Post
For some reason I think if they went through with the black idea, it would be like our regular home jerseys just instead of orange, blue and white it would be in black, silver/gray, and white.
I think I actually like that:


DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:50 PM
  #64
War Admiral
Registered User
 
War Admiral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 738
vCash: 500
Funny...because I envisioned something very similar to this too. Looks like a classic black and white photograph. I like it alot!!!

War Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:57 PM
  #65
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,858
vCash: 500
I didn't like just the black n white jersey, but when you put it on JT.... I like it a lot more. If they go with black it MUST be a simple design.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:58 PM
  #66
DarkHorse
Go Banana!
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:06 PM
  #67
DarkHorse
Go Banana!
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:18 PM
  #68
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Uggh, hope the black jersey thing is a bad rumor.

What about something that maybe incorporates a little of every jersey in a tasteful way...


Traditional Jersey - color scheme (no black!)
Fisherman Jersey - slightly revised Lighthouse with the old school script 'Islanders'
First Edge Jersey - sleeves (but blue, not orange)


Last edited by Law: 05-04-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:18 PM
  #69
DarkHorse
Go Banana!
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,031
vCash: 500

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:27 PM
  #70
pattyb91
Twitter: @pattyb94
 
pattyb91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Merrick, NY
Posts: 1,626
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
I think I actually like that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
Thats exactly what I was picturing...and you know what, after you did that I am not that upset if they go that route....that really does look sharp....I just don't want it to be anything like this:

haha excuse the crappy paintjob

pattyb91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:39 PM
  #71
Law
Registered User
 
Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 7,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb91 View Post
Thats exactly what I was picturing...and you know what, after you did that I am not that upset if they go that route....that really does look sharp....I just don't want it to be anything like this:

haha excuse the crappy paintjob
Your MS Paint skills aside, I agree that I don't want to see anything like that, especially with keeping the blue shorts. Would look like what PHX did and I hate what PHX did color-wise with their thirds.


Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 11:03 PM
  #72
Dutch Frost
Battle Level
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
No one is forcing you or anyone else to buy it. The beauty of capitalism, is you get to decide where you spend your money.






Those look good. How about some dice or casino chips or a roulette wheel. You know for the pending casino deal.

I'm just kidding about the casino items on the jersey.

While true no one is forcing me to buy it, Ill use my democratic right to speak against the idea of ANOTHER alternate jersey that will look disgusting and cause some poor working guy to buy it for his kids. In the last 20 years the New York Islanders have gone over countless jersey changes only to revert back to a version of the original. The rest of the league has done the same and to little fan fare.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 11:06 PM
  #73
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk
 
IslesRock4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 20,883
vCash: 500
That actually looks really good, DarkHorse. I just can't see them dropping orange and blue completely on the jersey. Looks too much like the Kings.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 11:10 PM
  #74
Dutch Frost
Battle Level
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
As a Raider fan I can relate.. We both have horrible owners who are clueless. So its perfectly fine to have Black and Silver.

I cant wait to see the Islanders jersey in a Rap video.. Ah those were the days with NWA rocking the Raiders and Kings Jerseys lol

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 11:29 PM
  #75
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
While true no one is forcing me to buy it, Ill use my democratic right to speak against the idea of ANOTHER alternate jersey that will look disgusting and cause some poor working guy to buy it for his kids. In the last 20 years the New York Islanders have gone over countless jersey changes only to revert back to a version of the original. The rest of the league has done the same and to little fan fare.
I am not saying your not entitled to your opinion am just saying you don't have to spend your money. That's the beauty of capitalism no one is telling you to go out and buy it. The choice is yours. Also that poor parent can't afford it he shouldn't buy it. My parents said no to many things when I was growing up and I turned out fine.

You have to remember the NHL is a business and business always come up with new ideas to generate additional monies. Cellphone companies do this, computer companies do it, virtually anyone who puts out a product does a refresh on a scale of when they feel they need it or when technology dictates.

Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.