HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part XIII "Around The Playoffs" (Conference Finals Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Sports Archaeologist

vCash: 500
I'm so confused. I thought we learned from the first round that the Caps have bulletproof defense and goaltending? The "New Caps" if you will??

I mean, they shut down monsters like "Grinder" Gaborik...Prust...Boyle...you know...and now they can't hold back losers like Stamkos, St. Louis, Vinny L, etc.?

Old
05-03-2011, 08:25 PM
trilobyte

Ovechkin sure can play stupidly. How many times did he turn it over, I lost count.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:29 PM
beastly115

PredS!!!

Old
05-03-2011, 08:34 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

The Lightning Ovechtrick'd the Capitals

Old
05-03-2011, 08:34 PM
bmw2004

This guy Yzerman is a genius. I can only wish that one day Rangers GM will be able to put together a team like this with a smart coaching staff.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:35 PM
MorrisWanchuk

if that was in before the net came off it should be a goal

Old
05-03-2011, 08:35 PM
3Four3

That should count: The puck goes behind the line after the Pred player was shoved from behind.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
I love this Tampa team. Easy to root for. Stevie Y has done a great job.
They are easy to root for, especially after their help on the last day of the season.

Yzerman is going to do a great job, no doubt, but most of the core pieces in place are from the double-headed monster they had before Yzerman stepped in.

Lecavalier, St. Louis, Stamkos, Hedman, Malone, Downie...

Also another team that benefitted greatly from gift #1 and #2 draft picks.

Im pulling for Tampa in the East and one of Nashville, San Jose, or Vancouver in the West.

Can't stomach the Flyers, Capitals, Bruins, and Red Wings in the Finals.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:38 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
So glad the Lightning won. Had my last Final for the semester and it was 8-10 pm today so I missed everything after the first period, and I finished right as the game was ending. I think I might go to game 4 tomorrow.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
That should count: The puck goes behind the line after the Pred player was shoved from behind.
No doubt that was a goal

Old
05-03-2011, 08:40 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
This guy Yzerman is a genius. I can only wish that one day Rangers GM will be able to put together a team like this with a smart coaching staff.
Yzerman inherited most of the core players from the previous regime.

That said, he will very good moving forward. He's a brilliant individual and a great hockey mind.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:46 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2004 View Post
so the part where Stamkos, St Louis, Lecavlier, Downie, Malone, Hedman, Ohlund, Purcell, Thompson were all on the team already is all Stevie Y? He deserves credit for Moore, Bergenheim, Gagne, Brewer, Roloson, but outside of Roloson, we aren't talking about game-breakers here. Guy Boucher was his hire. Good job? Yes. Had a lot of raw talent to work with? Yes. Genius? No. Head to head, I think Poile has done more with way less in Nashville. more impressive.

Old
05-03-2011, 08:48 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Yzerman inherited most of the core players from the previous regime.

That said, he will very good moving forward. He's a brilliant individual and a great hockey mind.
I ask this honestly...what are you basing this statement on? He's a very easy guy to like and has made some good decisions, obviously, but what points to "brilliant" and or "great"? And we're not talking about him as a player here, right?

Old
05-03-2011, 08:49 PM
MorrisWanchuk

the way luongo's head snapped back i think the navy seals just sniped him from pakistan

Old
05-03-2011, 08:50 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
so the part where Stamkos, St Louis, Lecavlier, Downie, Malone, Hedman, Ohlund, Purcell, Thompson were all on the team already is all Stevie Y? He deserves credit for Moore, Bergenheim, Gagne, Brewer, Roloson, but outside of Roloson, we aren't talking about game-breakers here. Guy Boucher was his hire. Good job? Yes. Had a lot of raw talent to work with? Yes. Genius? No. Head to head, I think Poile has done more with way less in Nashville. more impressive.
i'd call bergenheim's 5 goals in 10 playoff games "game-breaking"

roloson was a huge signing

moore, brewer and gagne are all solid A acquisitions

Old
05-03-2011, 08:51 PM
MorrisWanchuk

BB is whining like there's no tomorrow

Old
05-03-2011, 08:53 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
I ask this honestly...what are you basing this statement on? He's a very easy guy to like and has made some good decisions, obviously, but what points to "brilliant" and or "great"? And we're not talking about him as a player here, right?
Brilliant would refer to his intelligence. He's a very smart person.

How is that an off base compliment.

And because he's intelligent and knows the game, i believe he will be a very good judge of talent.

Again, how is that an off base compliment.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:04 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Brilliant would refer to his intelligence. He's a very smart person.

How is that an off base compliment.

And because he's intelligent and knows the game, i believe he will be a very good judge of talent.

Again, how is that an off base compliment.
I never said anything was off base and apologize if it was taken that way and I understand that brilliant refers to his intelligence and not to his radiance, but there's a difference between very smart and brilliant. I was just wondering if anything other than his performance in this limited time frame or hearing him interviewed led you to your assesment.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:06 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I agree with you completely. I feel Yzerman is being given all the credit for a team that has Vinny L, MSL and Steven Stamkos, which is why the team is so successful and there's no ifs ands or buts about that. What he's done though is be able to fill around his superstars with good roleplayers.

All in all solid work from him, but remember what the motor of that team is and realize he had nothing to do with that.

I also don't find it as easy to like the Lightning as easy as you guys. Glad they're exposing the Caps though.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:09 PM
beastly115

Looks like a goal the Rangers would give up. 3 Preds players in the slot and not one gets the guy in front.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I agree with you completely. I feel Yzerman is being given all the credit for a team that has Vinny L, MSL and Steven Stamkos, which is why the team is so successful and there's no ifs ands or buts about that. What he's done though is be able to fill around his superstars with good roleplayers.

All in all solid work from him, but remember what the motor of that team is and realize he had nothing to do with that.

I also don't find it as easy to like the Lightning as easy as you guys. Glad they're exposing the Caps though.
All true. But look across the ice at the team they're up 3-0 against. The Caps have as good or better a group of superstars, but it's the philosophy, coaching, role players etc that are losing this series for them. Again. Not to mention that those same group of TB superstars missed the playoffs for the past few seasons, let alone getting to the ECF.

I mean, yes, he walked into a pretty good situation there, but he's done a damn good job of improving it and taking advantage of that. And if there's anything to be learned from the Capitals it's that nothing is a given, even with an Ovechkin.

edit: And yes, I agree that Poile has done a fantastic job as well. But damn do they need an offensive game breaker.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:18 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

AHAHAHAH BYE BYE CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!

This is great... I hate the Caps and I LOVE Tampa.....

Old
05-03-2011, 09:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
I never said anything was off base and apologize if it was taken that way and I understand that brilliant refers to his intelligence and not to his radiance, but there's a difference between very smart and brilliant. I was just wondering if anything other than his performance in this limited time frame or hearing him interviewed led you to your assesment.
I don't know him personally or anything. But from what i've read and heard, and his interviews, he's very intelligent and very humble.

But like i mentioned, he inherited most of the team he has there in Tampa. But, because he's intelligent and knows the game, i believe he will be a very good GM.

Not many great players make great GMs. It hasn't happened often. It did happen here in New York a couple times (Frank Boucher).

Old
05-03-2011, 09:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Also he's very well respected around the game. That can go a long way. Respect amongst piers and relationships can help a GM make moves.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I've only been half paying attention to the game cuz I took a nap through the entire 1st. Do the preds really have only 1 shot on goal this period?

Closed Thread