HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Does the Tampa/Washington Series Make You Change Your Opinion of the Rangers?

Old
05-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

vCash: 500
Does the Tampa/Washington Series Make You Change Your Opinion of the Rangers?

After watching the Rangers accomplish nothing but blowing leads in low scoring games against the Capitals, are you thinking that the Rangers aren't good enough or didn't try hard enough? They tried fine on defense and shot blocking, but they made an ordinary goalie look way better than he should. Most of us were pretty optimistic about the team's future. Should we be?

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:58 PM
NYR Viper

They are WAY better than I thought they were! I mean they took the Caps to Game 5 and must have absolutely tired them out in just 5 games! All of thier players must be injured from the way the Rangers play!

for sure, I have much more respect for the 2010-2011 Rangers than I did before this TB/WSH series.

Wait, is that not what you are looking for?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:02 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Bottom line is that the Rangers just couldn't score goals and Tampa can. Defensively and goaltending was fine. Our offense just didn't get it done. A goal here and there would've changed everything.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:03 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
After watching the Rangers accomplish nothing but blowing leads in low scoring games against the Capitals, are you thinking that the Rangers aren't good enough or didn't try hard enough? They tried fine on defense and shot blocking, but they made an ordinary goalie look way better than he should. Most of us were pretty optimistic about the team's future. Should we be?
The fact that the Rangers made it to the playoffs was surprising enough considering the very average talent level of the team as a whole. So no, I don't think we should be disappointed that they didn't fare better. Gaborik had a terrible year and Callahan's loss was a huge blow. The team overachieved and fortunately the kids got a taste of playoff hockey which will better prepare them for next time.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:07 PM
beastly115

Nothing went right for us.

We couldn't score goals.

Couldn't protect leads.

Washington winning that series was more about us playing badly than the Caps playing well.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Honestly, all games from our series could have gone either way. That series could have been 3-1 us going in to that game 5. We just do not have the offensive prowess needed to win consistently. We went something like 2-44 on the PP that series, and lost three 1 goal games.

The difference between us and Tampa is that they can execute when opportunities present themselves, while we could not. The only thing holding us back is the fact that we have no PPQB and really have no top line offensive threats besides Gabby who played well but he just couldnt score.

Honestly bring in a puck moving defensman who can run a powerplay, and maybe 1-2 more offensive minded players who have the skill needed to score points, and we win that series and we are playing Philly this round. We have a great set of gritty players who can chip in offensively occasionally, but we need more firepower, especially on the powerplay.

I expect us to be a really good team next year. Dubinsky is another year older and another year wiser, Callahan has shown that he can contribute in all facets of the game, and Gabby should be able to have a bounce back year. Couple that with a couple of good UFA signings and we are a top-5 team in the east

Primetime Powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Zil

Gaborik's off year left the Rangers without a gamebreaker. Dubi having to play through a stress fracture that clearly threw off his game and Cally being hurt didn't help either. The fact that Tampa has Stamkos, St. Louis, and Lecavalier doesn't change that. It also doesn't change the fact that Stepan was a rookie, Anisimov was a sophomore, and our highest ceilinged prospects aren't here yet. We have a great goalie, an excellent young defense, and a nice group of forwards that's only going to get better. I look forward to watching our continued development.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:17 PM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
With an average power play we would be in the second round right now. Regardless, I'm still proud of the 10'-11' Rangers. The most important goal of the season was to continue to incorporate youth AND get our young guys valuable playoff experience. They did just that. We were never realistically cup contenders, so with all that said the 10'-11' Rangers had a very successful year no matter how you cut it.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

All it enforces is my idea that if we had a top-line we'd be contenders. Our defense was great most of the time, our goaltending was great, and our bottom lines put in a valiant effort doing everything but scoring, which they really can't be relied on scoring.

Blowing the lead in game 4 killed us this year, though.

When you hold the Caps to 2 goals in the first 3 games you should win more than one of those games. Give us a top line who can score ES and on the power play consistently and we're contenders. Hopefully Gaborik and Richards does that.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Gatorade*

If the Rangers had a power play they would have won that series easily. The caps have not been all that good this year in the playoffs.

Tampa has a great PP wnd whether they score or not they get momentum on the PP whereas the Rangers looked so futile with the man advantage it inflated the Caps.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:31 PM
OverTheCap

Tampa is a superior team to us. They are so much more skilled than us, there's no comparison. Look at how we fared against Tampa head-to-head this season, they gave us fits. And they have some great role players in the bottom 6, whereas we had players like Wolski playing on the 4th line who is certainly not a prototypical 4th liner.

Rangers tried against the Caps, but they couldn't exploit their weaknesses. Predictably, Tampa is having no problem beating Neuvirth when we barely tested him.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:34 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Not really. They are a much tougher matchup for Washington than the Rangers. and they are well a very well coached team. They have something we sorely lack -- a couple of game breakers.

Speaking of coaches, does Boudreau remind anyone else of the bumbling coach in the NHL Network promos?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If the Rangers had a legit Power Play they could have won the series.

They were about 1-20 on the Power Play in the series.

It was closer then the outcome. A couple goals here and thefe and we advance. The Power Play, IMO, was the largest difference maker. The only game the Caps looked much better then us was game 5. We dominated most of game 4. Every other game was close.

The dang Power Play has been our crutch for years.

Brad Richards to the rescue. PP QB, legit #1 center, elite playmaker and passer, leader, experience of success in the playoffs (Cup & Conn Smythe), trust and relationship with Torts. The missing link for the Gaborik we saw in 09-10?

Power Play.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

The Tampa series has had no effect on my opinion of the Rangers as I highly suspected Washington would struggle against a team that knew how to put pucks in the net - especially on the PP.

I likened this year's Rangers to the 1980 US Olympic squad - they were vastly outskilled by most teams but because of their work ethic, team mentality and willingness to sacrifice for each other, they could hang with any team on any night.

Though we were obviously badly outclassed in skill, the Washington series was a lot closer than what the final result showed. Game 4 was an absolute disaster though which I still believe broke our back. If we had won that game like we should have, it would have been a whole different series. I expected us to do more damage than we ultimately did. Good season with a disappointing end.

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:41 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRising View Post
The Tampa series has had no effect on my opinion of the Rangers as I highly suspected Washington would struggle against a team that knew how to put pucks in the net - especially on the PP.

I likened this year's Rangers to the 1980 US Olympic squad - they were vastly outskilled by most teams but because of their work ethic, team mentality and willingness to sacrifice for each other, they could hang with any team on any night.

Though we were obviously badly outclassed in skill, the Washington series was a lot closer than what the final result showed. Game 4 was an absolute disaster though which I still believe broke our back. If we had won that game like we should have, it would have been a whole different series. I expected us to do more damage than we ultimately did. Good season with a disappointing end.
Well I wouldn't mind have a Marc Johnson as our number 1 center .

But yeah I agree with this.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Tampa is a superior team to us. They are so much more skilled than us, there's no comparison. Look at how we fared against Tampa head-to-head this season, they gave us fits. And they have some great role players in the bottom 6, whereas we had players like Wolski playing on the 4th line who is certainly not a prototypical 4th liner.

Rangers tried against the Caps, but they couldn't exploit their weaknesses. Predictably, Tampa is having no problem beating Neuvirth when we barely tested him.
I don't think we even tested him. When we did get to him, we scored.

95% of the shots seemed like they came from the point on the rush or on the outside. Nothing testy at all.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:47 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRising View Post

I agree.

I get the analogy with the 80 Olympic team.

Glad im not the only one that feels a legit Power Play could have changed, and could still change a lot.

With special teams so important. Yes most of the game is played 5v5 at even strength. But those key opportunities on the Power Play are vital and can impact the outcome of the game drastically.

We need a legit Power Play.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:50 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
And somehow this is construed as them possibly "not trying" hard enough? Completely absurd. They got beat, plain and simple. It's not like they were in front of the net saying "oh wait here's an open shot! ehhh i'll just shoot it wherever who cares!"

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:52 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Here's what I had to say in an October 2010 thread on the main board called "Best Up and Coming Team."

Quote:
Two words: Steve Yzerman. Well, two more words: Steven Stamkos.

The Bolts are the team to watch. Yzerman is the league's next great GM. The hype is real for a change.
The best young GM in the league. The best and smartest young coach in the league. One of the best young players in the league. Now add a fantastic offense, a great deadline pickup in Brewer and an equally phenomenal move to get Roloson.

The Rangers are no where near the Lightning. If we pick up Richards, then we're up there with them.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:54 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
This Tampa team reminds me of the '09 Hawks, in a sense. I think if they don't win it all this year, next year is their year.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:54 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If we pick up Richards i believe we can beat any team in the East, at least.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Gatorade*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Here's what I had to say in an October 2010 thread on the main board called "Best Up and Coming Team."

The best young GM in the league. The best and smartest young coach in the league. One of the best young players in the league. Now add a fantastic offense, a great deadline pickup in Brewer and an equally phenomenal move to get Roloson.

The Rangers are no where near the Lightning. If we pick up Richards, then we're up there with them.
If and only IF Richards and Gaborik have the elusive chemistry. Even then I don't see the Rangers with a St. Louis like presence on the PP.... and yes I know Richards plays the point on the PP.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:58 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Isn't it amazing how well the southern expansion has worked out in recent years?

Tampa Bay
Carolina
Anaheim

And this year San Jose, Nashville and Tampa Bay (again) have legitimate shots.

Not to mention fanatical fan bases in Nashville and Carolina.

So much for hockey can't work in the south.

Old
05-03-2011, 10:01 PM
CM PUNK

i don't think it changes anything...tb is showing that if we had talent we could have beaten washington but we all already knew that we needed to add talent

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Isn't it amazing how well the southern expansion has worked out in recent years?

Tampa Bay
Carolina
Anaheim

And this year San Jose, Nashville and Tampa Bay (again) have legitimate shots.

Not to mention fanatical fan bases in Nashville and Carolina.

So much for hockey can't work in the south.
They need to get rid of Atlanta though. They can't even draw for the Falcons and the NFL is the most popular sport in America.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote