HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

New York Rangers-Carolina

Old
05-02-2011, 11:38 PM
bretzky29ca*

vCash: 500
New York Rangers-Carolina

This deal could be beneficial to both teams as it allows two players who seem to have fallen out of favour with their respective teams. Carolina acquires a player who can agitate, get under the opponent's skin, something they have been desperately lacking as of late. For the Rangers, it gives them a different fourth line look, acquiring a player who has scoring ability and dynamite speed.

Thoughts?????

To Carolina: F Sean Avery
To New York R: F Drayson Bowman

bretzky29ca* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 11:42 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Done.

I'm personally done with Sean Avery. Torts doesn't really play him/let him do his thing, and because of that he doesn't serve a purpose.

Bowman is someone who has a low cap hit and we can stick him in the minors.

Good deal.

05-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Im not really sure who Bowman is, but i think Avery is actually in our plans for next season. He played very well for us when he played in the playoffs and maybe management thinks that he has finally figured out how he has to play to be effective for Torts. He only has 1yr left on his contract anyway.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 12:03 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Is he on a two way contract?

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Guy

absolutely not, I don't want Avery anywhere near Carolina unless it's in the visitor's locker room.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:37 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
Im not really sure who Bowman is, but i think Avery is actually in our plans for next season. He played very well for us when he played in the playoffs and maybe management thinks that he has finally figured out how he has to play to be effective for Torts. He only has 1yr left on his contract anyway.
I think "played very well" is a bit of an exageration. Avery serves no purpose on this team and the only reason he may be in our plans for next year is because we can't easily get rid of him, short of buying him out.

I would do this deal in a heartbeat.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:47 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Is he on a two way contract?
It doesn't really matter since the Rangers would be saving several million in the deal regardless, but Bowman is on a two-way through 2012 with an AHL salary of 65k and an NHL salary of 650k, and a cap hit of $846k.

Value wise I think it's a fair deal, but the Hurricanes don't need Avery and his drama. He would be miserable living in Raleigh, is far too expensive considering his role, and is not the kind of guy you want on a rebuilding team. Strong "no" from our corner.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It doesn't really matter since the Rangers would be saving several million in the deal regardless, but Bowman is on a two-way through 2012 with an AHL salary of 65k and an NHL salary of 650k, and a cap hit of $846k.

Value wise I think it's a fair deal, but the Hurricanes don't need Avery and his drama. He would be miserable living in Raleigh, is far too expensive considering his role, and is not the kind of guy you want on a rebuilding team. Strong "no" from our corner.
It absolutely matters. We'd only be saving 1 million on the deal if it isn't a two way contract, in whcih case i wouldn't do it.

However, since it is a two way, I'd do it in a heartbeat, considering we could shed 2 mil off the cap.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:31 AM
BennyBST

Carolina wouldn't give up Bowman for Avery straight up.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 09:47 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
It absolutely matters. We'd only be saving 1 million on the deal if it isn't a two way contract, in whcih case i wouldn't do it.
I'm not following your logic here. If Bowman is in the NHL, regardless whether his contract is 1 or 2 way, he carries an $845k cap hit.

If Bowman is in the AHL, regardless whether his contract is 1 or 2 way, he is off your cap hit so the only person who cares about his salary is the person signing his paychecks (and therefore covering the difference between his AHL and NHL salary). Considering he makes millions less than Avery, there is no reason NOT to do it for financial reasons... not to mention the Rangers aren't exactly hard-up for cash like the Hurricanes.

If anything, the Canes are the ones who would nix this deal based on the salaries involved. The Rangers stand to gain millions while giving up nothing.

Old
05-03-2011, 09:57 AM
HoosierDaddy

I beg to differ...

Avery was claimed off waivers from Dallas. They split his $4mm contract, and CAP hit 50/50. This means that the Rangers are paying Avery $2mm with a similiar CAP hit. If he is traded Dallas is "off the hook" and the Rangers are responsible for the entire $4mm, so they will not save anything (assuming the same waiver gymnastics happen again with a deal for Canes to pick him up). Canes would take the entire $4mm hit if they trade for him. Makes no sense on many levels. ergo...non-starter.

I personally like Avery's JAM on the team.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:00 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Avery was claimed off waivers from Dallas. They split his $4mm contract, and CAP hit 50/50. This means that the Rangers are paying Avery $2mm with a similiar CAP hit. If he is traded Dallas is "off the hook" and the Rangers are responsible for the entire $4mm, so they will not save anything (assuming the same waiver gymnastics happen again with a deal for Canes to pick him up. Canes would take the entire $4mm hit if they trade for him. ergo...non-starter.

Ah, I forgot he was a waiver claim. That makes more sense now.

Your last line is correct, there's no way Carolina takes on $3m and gives up a dececnt prospect unless it's an offer they can't refuse.

Old
05-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Ah, I forgot he was a waiver claim. That makes more sense now.

Your last line is correct, there's no way Carolina takes on $3m and gives up a dececnt prospect unless it's an offer they can't refuse.
I believe even if avery his traded, half his cap hit remains with the stars. The only case in which dallas is free of his contract is if avery is put back on re-entry waivers and another teams claims him, in which case the rangers would be on the hook for half a cap hit.

Old
05-03-2011, 12:17 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I'm not following your logic here. If Bowman is in the NHL, regardless whether his contract is 1 or 2 way, he carries an $845k cap hit.
The difference is in the summer cap. 1-way contracts count in full against the summer cap. 2-way contracts only count if the player played the previous year in the NHL, prorated based on the number of days on the roster.

Bowman was on Carolina's roster for 56 days, with an accumulated cap hit of $198,208 for the season. So he will only cost $198,208 against the summer cap.

The summer cap is 10% higher than the in-season cap, but Redden is already eating up that money and then some. So whatever we can save on the summer cap will help.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 07:43 PM
bernmeister

For most of the year Avery looked like he mostly still had it.
It might just be rust, but he seems to have lost upwards of a step by year's end.

Besides, anything that gives cap help long or short term, directly or indirectly, should be considered.

You want him, he's yours...

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 08:24 PM
gotmonte

I have worn thin with Avery but if he is LET TO PLAY HIS GAME without worrying about taking a bad penalty once in awhile and not worry about the ref's calling ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING AND SOMETHINGS HE DOESNT DO than Avery will return to a monster for us.

So in light of this season being over, dallas paying half his salary, I say NO to your trade proposal.

I would like to KEEP Avery. When AVERY IS ON? HE IS UNSTOPPABLE. Torts needs to learn how to RE-FUKING-LAX with his players that are under your skin type players.

If torts can do that? Watch out!

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Chicago Made Punk
\-|Stay Alive|-/

****ing hell no.

Just no.

Not a chance.

Chicago Made Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Puckslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Avery was claimed off waivers from Dallas. They split his $4mm contract, and CAP hit 50/50. This means that the Rangers are paying Avery $2mm with a similiar CAP hit. If he is traded Dallas is "off the hook" and the Rangers are responsible for the entire $4mm, so they will not save anything (assuming the same waiver gymnastics happen again with a deal for Canes to pick him up). Canes would take the entire $4mm hit if they trade for him. Makes no sense on many levels. ergo...non-starter.

Also appreciate his willingness to drop the gloves when others wont, even if it occasionally means he gets beat up by a bigger meaner opponent.

Puckslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:33 AM
pld459666

Quote:

However, since it is a two way, I'd do it in a heartbeat, considering we could shed 2 mil off the cap.
Actual salary to the Rangers is not an issue.

Cap space is and if Bowman can be sent to the minors, even on a one way deal, the Rangers save 2 million in cap space.

Actual salary is pocket change to the Rangers

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote