HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jaromir Jagr

View Poll Results: Do you think Jaromir will be back with the NYR (after retiring) in some capacity?
Yes, as a representative of the organization 11 8.66%
Yes, as a guest at special Ranger events 57 44.88%
No, Sather has permanently burned that bridge 68 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-30-2011, 06:45 PM
TheHotRock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
I want him back just so he can get his 1600th point and retire. He's stuck on 1599 career points, and it bothers 'ol OCD me.
if there weren't two lockouts and he decided to play the last 3 years in the nhl we'd be talking about the #2 all time scorer in nhl history.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
not to mention we got Naslund to replace Jagr!
Don't even get me started with that load of ****.

They didn't want to re-sign Jagr to a two-three year deal.

But they'll sign Naslund to a two-year deal to replace him. Yeah I get Naslund only played for one season and retire, but c'mon. He was nowhere near as good as Jagr was that season.

No point in going a different direction.

A ***** move by Sather.

Still bothers me to this day.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Reading this thread just pissed me off. We didn't do the right thing with Jagr.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I never really noticed until now how bad it was to axe Jagr for Naslund.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:11 PM
pld459666

Not sure that Sather did anything TO Jagr.

He didn't offer a 35+ year old player a multi year deal for more than he was worth, if that equates to pushing him out the door, I guess you can interpert it that way.

I look at it this way, the Rangers needed to move in another direction and would have offered Jagr a good one year deal, at a reduced amount which was fine. Jagr said it himself, you get paid based on your role and importance to the team, he did not want to be the 3rd option behind Gomez and Drury so he shopped his services elsewhere as was his right as a UFA, however, the rest of the league looked at Jagr the same way the Rangers did which meant as a declining player wanting more money and responsibility than he was capable of earning (in terms of money and responsibility).

He then decided to go home, which was, as is his right, something he had talked about for many years.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2011, 11:26 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Did he ever marry his lovely fiancé ? She loved NYC if I remember right.....jagr would be hero if he came back on a one year deal ala Feds....

04-30-2011, 11:40 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Reading this thread just pissed me off. We didn't do the right thing with Jagr.
This is what prompted me to start it.

For what he did for the team and organization as a whole, we did wrong by him. I just home he comes back one day to don Ranger blue in some capacity.

I'm also extremely bitter and angry he never got the farewell and send off he deserved. The fans never got a chance to say thanks.

NY Lito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
The fans never got a chance to say thanks.
This is what really bugged me. He did a lot for us, obviously not enough to warrant a jersey retirement, but it'd be really nice to see his number get "honored" in some way like some other teams do. Like have a "Jaromir Jagr Night." I'd definitely make sure to go to that.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:21 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
This is what really bugged me. He did a lot for us, obviously not enough to warrant a jersey retirement, but it'd be really nice to see his number get "honored" in some way like some other teams do. Like have a "Jaromir Jagr Night." I'd definitely make sure to go to that.
he was a ranger for what....3 seasons? he's not gonna get a night...sorry, not gonna happen.

Jagr was great here, but he didnt make his name here. Same with TGO...he was amazing here..but he didnt make his name here...NO SOUP FOR YOU!

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
he was a ranger for what....3 seasons? he's not gonna get a night...sorry, not gonna happen.

Jagr was great here, but he didnt make his name here. Same with TGO...he was amazing here..but he didnt make his name here...NO SOUP FOR YOU!
I'm not advocating his number being retired, I know that's absurd, but I just think this organization should honor in some form some of the people who did a lot for this team. Not just Jagr, should've been doing it for years. I don't recall people like Greschner, Ratelle or Park etc having nights when it is certainly warranted.

Old
05-01-2011, 12:27 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm not advocating his number being retired, I know that's absurd, but I just think this organization should honor in some form some of the people who did a lot for this team. Not just Jagr, should've been doing it for years. I don't recall people like Greschner, Ratelle or Park etc having nights when it is certainly warranted.
i dont see it happening...maybe he might get a moment if he comes to watch a game or something, but other than that, it aint happening.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:29 AM
3Four3

If he's available, I'd give him a tryout. Most definitely give him that. The man is still immovable when he has the puck.

Yes, that all still depends - and I doubt he would be open to it - if he would like another crack at the NHL.

It's times like these where I wish I had a time machine just so I could get a hold of Sather and smack him upside the head for wanting to waste $25 million between the likes of Drury, Gomez, Redden and Naslund, and to balk at what Jagr wanted.

I'd pay Jagr 8-8.5 million a season for three seasons 10 times out 5 as compared to what actually happened with this organization.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 12:34 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Another thing to think about, had Jagr won the Hart in 05-06 like he should have, it would have triggered a clause in his contract that would have had him locked up at the same salary for another year. Had that happened, Redden probably wouldn't have been signed since they had no cap space.

Instead, the professional hockey writers association votes for Thornton who had a great year but didn't carry a team like Jagr did.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 01:17 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The past is too painful to talk and think about. That's why the future is so bright.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 04:56 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not sure that Sather did anything TO Jagr.

He didn't offer a 35+ year old player a multi year deal for more than he was worth, if that equates to pushing him out the door, I guess you can interpert it that way.

I look at it this way, the Rangers needed to move in another direction and would have offered Jagr a good one year deal, at a reduced amount which was fine. Jagr said it himself, you get paid based on your role and importance to the team, he did not want to be the 3rd option behind Gomez and Drury so he shopped his services elsewhere as was his right as a UFA, however, the rest of the league looked at Jagr the same way the Rangers did which meant as a declining player wanting more money and responsibility than he was capable of earning (in terms of money and responsibility).

He then decided to go home, which was, as is his right, something he had talked about for many years.
+1 My exact thoughts on this as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post

Agreed.

With the team looking like it does now I can't believe that people are even considering bringing him back.

JJ fans, let it go, he's not coming back. Nor should we want an aging vet, well past his prime that would demand big mins to be remotely effective.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 05:43 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

He did a lot for this franchise, whether some of you want to believe it or not. God willing we one day find a player to his capacity. A player that can make a BIG impact on this franchise.

JJ's New York Rangers records:

Most regular season goals by a Rangers player (2005–06) - 54
Most regular season points by a Rangers player (2005–06) - 123
Most regular season power play goals by a Rangers player (2005–06) - 24
Most regular season shots on goal by a Rangers player (2005–06) - 368
Most regular season game-winning goals by a Rangers player (2005–06) - 9 (tied with Mark Messier 1996–97 and Don Murdoch 1980–81)
Most regular season goals by a Rangers right wing (2005–06) - 54
Most regular season assists by a Rangers right wing (2005–06) - 69
Most regular season points by a Rangers right wing (2005–06) - 123

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Another thing to think about, had Jagr won the Hart in 05-06 like he should have, it would have triggered a clause in his contract that would have had him locked up at the same salary for another year. Had that happened, Redden probably wouldn't have been signed since they had no cap space.

Instead, the professional hockey writers association votes for Thornton who had a great year but didn't carry a team like Jagr did.
Jagr was paid double what we did, would we have payed him the 4 something or 8 something? Either way, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Old
05-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Blazephr

sorry, but Jagr will always be a Penguin in my eyes. Still have nightmares from the early 90's play-off series between NYR & Pens.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
granted - back trading on this is waste of energy......

Fact is that the best forward the Rangers had in a long time was written off in Slats eyes, and in his stead we offered boatful of money to Redden, Gomez and Drury and others. Some who were hardly deserving.

The man deserved to see his legend grow and possibly retire a Ranger. No doubt - with him surrounded by current crop of youngsters could have been what differentiated us from a playoff team to a contender.

its sad.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Depends on how bad his gambling debts are

Glen Teflon Sather is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
No and not because bridges to Sather are burned.
He has no ambition to live in NYC, and as player it is out of question. Even he knows that.
I don't see him as an ambassador for the Rangers...
What is funny is that guy as a "player" is still more gifted than any forward on our team. Jaromir is a stud in the KHL, is great for the Czech's, and when you see him play you realize the guy still has it. I would have loved to have signed him to a contract for the remainder of his career instead of allocate the funds to Redden and Naslund. At least JJ would still be contributing.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:24 AM
bulax17

Sources saying Rangers interested in bringing Jagr back next season: http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2011-ar...t-in-jagr.html

bulax17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:31 AM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dee View Post
Sources saying Rangers interested in bringing Jagr back next season: http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2011-ar...t-in-jagr.html
Sather has to give him a shot. I'd easily give him 4.5-6 million if he shows that he still has it in him.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Sather has to give him a shot. I'd easily give him 4.5-6 million if he shows that he still has it in him.
That's ludicrous.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:20 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
He finished 7th in the KHL in scoring last year, and with the olympic showing that tells me he still has something left in the tank.

That said, I would hope for a discounted deal, 4.5-6 is WAY too high.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote