HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

ECSF|Game 4|Washington Capitals @ Tampa Bay Lightning - 05-04-2011 - 7:00PM

Old
05-04-2011, 01:46 PM
BPMrules

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
He's probably signing his last few terrible local sponsorship deals so he can make whatever money he can before he's fired tomorrow.
Hope that new car has plenty of trunk space for a pink slip, cause if we lose tonight, there obviously isn't gonna be a Cup going in there.

BPMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Who's playing for Green? Collins?

Or is it TFS to the rescue?!!?
collins is in

Last edited by Timmy: 05-04-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: qep
txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
mike green is out tonight.
There's a stunner.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

No wideman

Blades of steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:16 PM
aquablue

I hope they put Varly in, we need a goalie who could easily steal a few games, he has that big game goalie in him. Neuvirth is solid but unspectacular. He should have been pulled after game 2.

Varly with no real pressure to win could be a dangerous weapon. Nobody is expecting much and that is when varly might actually play lose and that is when he could cause some major consternation for the opposition. He's hungry to prove himself as the Caps #1 goalie after the poor year today. Varly can actually make that big spectacular save we need. He has playoff experience. We need that more than a rookie at this point.

TB has won 6 straight. If they can do that, we can win 4 straight. They are due a loss. Let's go Caps, keep the faith! If Varly gets hot things could get scary for TB.

In Varly we trust! Do it Bruce, we need something to shift the momentum and Varly has shown he can do it.

Also, we need someone to light a fire under Backstrom's ass. The guy needs something to snap him out of his self pitying slumber.

I want to see the best game by #19 this playoffs. Mr. Arnott, please take him aside and give him the what for.

Also, Bruce, let the boys play the way they know how. We are not going to win 4 games with this new defensive style. We can only beat them by outscoring them. Return to the old system and the boys might perk up and remember how to score goals. Our D is nothing special to be trying to win games 2-1 against these guys.

Last edited by aquablue: 05-04-2011 at 02:28 PM.
aquablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Ovechkin

Hopefully George and Bruce's personal items are all boxed up, ready to be thrown into a dumpster at a moment's notice.

Ovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Capitlols

So our D gets even slower versus a fast opponent.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:29 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post
He's probably signing his last few terrible local sponsorship deals so he can make whatever money he can before he's fired tomorrow.
asking Hadeed for longterm deal. "something along the lines of what Backstrom got," he told H.

in other news, i saw this quote on Facebook this morning, and it seemed perfectly on point.

'If the Caps don't pull their heads out of their a--es but quick, they get swept tonight."
--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:32 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
So our D gets even slower versus a fast opponent.
We should be looking to win this one on Offense. Our D isn't good enough to play this style against such weapons as MLS, SS, and Vinnie. Let the boys go back to what they know.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:10 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
DFO implies Neuvy. http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/starting-goalies

I see his confidence floundering, Tampa's confidence soaring. Its a game of riding the momentum.

I want Varly.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:16 PM
DrPP

I can't believe I'm actually considering watching this.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:17 PM
BPMrules

I'm afraid to watch, but know I'm going to.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:17 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
DFO implies Neuvy. http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/starting-goalies

I see his confidence floundering, Tampa's confidence soaring. Its a game of riding the momentum.

I want Varly.
I agree..plus Neuvy will have the added preasure of knowing that he's going to be yanked if TB goes up 1-0, then Varly will have to come in cold..Gotta go Varly, BB. We need a hero.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:23 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Win one.

Then we'll worry about the next game. One at a time. Possible for this team.

Green out, Collins in.

Man if Sloan was in for Sarge and we swept them in 4 straight, talk about tons of happy, shocked, and bewildered group of fans we'd be.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Capsman

I am going to refrain from criticism at the moment and give ideas on the strategy we need to take. Let's turn thus into a (reasonable) idea thread. Sitting Backstrom is not a reasonable idea.

1. Attack the zone with more speed. We are playing into their hands by approaching the blue line too tentatively. I don't just mean the puck carrier but also the wingers.
2. More passes just before the puck carrier enters the zone. Once he crosses his options are limited against the Bolts' defense. Could be a pass to the wing (because the defender is shaded toward the puck carrier) or to a guy crossing behind him. Guys need to be paying close attention so as not to go offsides.
3. Crashing the net after a pass from the corner. I think one of the reasons we are not seeing more guys crash the net is a fear of a quick counter attack. The player who crosses the puck needs to be prepared to get back on D. They also have to be on the same page as to when the puck will be sent across. We have had plenty of opportunities to do this but need to be prepared.
4. Fake some dump ins. TB expects dump ins and is pretty much backskating the moment our guy winds his stick. Fake it occasionally, give them something to think about.
5. Fake some shots from the point. That is one of Green's strong suits and underutilized in my opinion. Fake the shot, and if the defender slides, go around him for a better shot or pass.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:26 PM
txpd

varly's history of first games after a long layoff are not good performances. very risky.

not going to watch tonight. wife has something fun planned for me. i can keep up. if there is a game 5, that might be worth watching. what i know i wont be doing is reading the whining and finger pointing and tsunami of negativity in the GDT. it'll be brutal if they win, even.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:38 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
varly's history of first games after a long layoff are not good performances. very risky.

not going to watch tonight. wife has something fun planned for me. i can keep up. if there is a game 5, that might be worth watching. what i know i wont be doing is reading the whining and finger pointing and tsunami of negativity in the GDT. it'll be brutal if they win, even.
his record of coming in after replacing other goalie in the playoffs is pretty good

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:40 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

1. Utilize D to D passes to break through neutral zone.
2. agreed that we need to vary the attack method at blue line (side to dump, a FEW skate through attempts with support)
3. Wristers from the point... jsut get it though
4. Actually consider using the points (on purpose instead of relying on deflections to get pucks up there )
5. Got to give BB credit on spreading our D in offensive zone, need traffic and puck retrieval.
6. If we get lucky for 5-3 use Laich at pt opposite Ovi for one timer threat for each.
7. ******* hit someone. Take elbowing penalties or roughing in front of the net. Just ******* play like it was playoffs. Consider watching SJ-Det game 2. Every damn Shark played nasty.
8. Don't panic early
9. If you have lead, make them earn a tie. Deep pucks, defend our blue line, no blue line turnovers (either side), chip it out, communicate.
10. Have Ovi play less with puck.
11. 5 forward PP unless we have lead. Arnott and Laich on points.
12. Start Varly
13. Mandatory ONE goalie interference penalty by a 4th liner. Hit him til they call it. If you kill it... hit him again.
14. Play the 4th line more than 8 minutes

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:42 PM
TRASHCAT

oh man saw it wasnt on versus so i was like oh yay i wont have to watch this! but its on the nhl channel and like a car wreck you just cant turn away

TRASHCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Hello guys,

What's with Green? Any word?

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:13 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Hello guys,

That's a far deeper question than you could've possibly intended.

QuadrupleDeke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:24 PM
aquablue

I'm happy Green isn't playing. I think his attitude stinks and he's not playoff material

I feel we need Varly. He has something to prove, he has experience, and if he plays loose and get hot, look out TB.

Bruce needs to get some balls and shake this team up FFS. There isn't much to lose now.

Also, I hope Backstrom can muster a little heart FFS. He looks defeated and full of self-pity out there.

I hope the boys play loose and have some fun, as if it were the last game they'd ever play.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:27 PM
BPMrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Hello guys,

Question of the series, according to this board.
I'd say he overextended himself and came back earlier than he should have, compensating for what's ailing him, resulting in getting hurt again. Back to Greenlife in a couple days.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
aquablue

Here's my prediction. Varly will replace Neuvy if neuvy starts and we will comeback and win the game from behind.

Old
05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
BPMrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I'm happy Green isn't playing. I think his attitude stinks and he's not playoff material

I feel we need Varly. He has something to prove, he has experience, and if he plays loose and get hot, look out TB.

Bruce needs to get some balls and shake this team up FFS. There isn't much to lose now.

Also, I hope Backstrom can muster a little heart FFS. He looks defeated and full of self-pity out there.

I hope the boys play loose and have some fun, as if it were the last game they'd ever play.
I don't know if I'm happy he isn't playing, cause even if our pp is stinking up the joint, I'd still like him out there. Otherwise, I completely agree.