HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The COMEBACK thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Squantosawuss

vCash: 500
The COMEBACK thread

There are few teams in the league who are capable of coming back from a 3-0 hole in a best-of-7.

In spite of all the criticisms they're enduring today, the Caps are one of those teams.

And it starts tonight in game 4.

Old
05-04-2011, 05:01 AM
stides*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
There are few teams in the league who are capable of coming back from a 3-0 hole in a best-of-7.

In spite of all the criticisms they're enduring today, the Caps are one of those teams.

♫ohhh dream... weaver...

Old
05-04-2011, 05:24 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Germans?

Old
05-04-2011, 05:42 AM
fsnoles98

I would love to have faith, but have you seen us play the last 3 games? Hard to have, but I have a little just because of being a fan.

Old
05-04-2011, 06:22 AM
Capsman

Nope, the foundation is not there to pull this off. Last year Philly had a lot more legitimate scoring chances against Boston in those first three games. We are not even close. Now, if the NHL changes the rules to have 2 periods and no 3rd, I might have hope.

Tampa will either be lax tonight or go for the jugular. Let's hope it's the former.

Old
05-04-2011, 06:26 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

you know...I bet that Stanley Cup makes the champagne taste terrible.

Old
05-04-2011, 06:51 AM
Mothra

they need to be swept.....then hopefully reality wont be clouded and they cant make excuses like "hot goaltender" or whatever.

Old
05-04-2011, 07:41 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
We keep losing one goal games. We just need to win one game.

Keep your eye on the prize. I know which one I would choo choo choose.

Old
05-04-2011, 07:57 AM
txpd

this is great. caps fans rooting for the sweep. lol....its so ridiculous its funny.

Old
05-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post

They CAN do it. But they won't. Sure they might somehow win tonight and then maybe Saturday, but I can't see this team putting the effort together that you need for four straight games. They'll tease us with a couple wins and then play stupid in Game 6 and that will be that.

Honestly though I bet they don't even show up tonight. They haven't cared for long stretches of this series, why bother showing up now?

Old
05-04-2011, 08:16 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
this is great. caps fans rooting for the sweep. lol....its so ridiculous its funny.
I am, and its the first playoff game in Caps history I can say that I hope they lose.

Ive said many times (from as far back as last season when they were breezing through the NHL) this team is not as good as the record. There are key players that have never shown they cant handle hockey in the spring.....same for the coach, who has a HoF winning percentage in the regular season but is sub .500 in what is now his 6th series. Are you suggesting there isnt something wrong?

I feel that winning a couple games is only going to bring about "if we just got a couple bounces early in the series" or "hot goalie" or "Locusts!" some lame excuse short of "we cant get it done when push comes to shove against good teams"

Old
05-04-2011, 08:26 AM
txpd

the unfortunate reality is the problem with the capitals are things that cant be changed.
the team identity is locked into long term contracts and i defy anyone to make a winning case that the caps young core including ovechkin have not been damaged for the worse by the piling up of playoff failures.

if the caps get swept, what do you think ovechkin takes away from it?

Old
05-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Mothra

Quote:
the unfortunate reality is the problem with the capitals are things that cant be changed.
the team identity is locked into long term contracts and i defy anyone to make a winning case that the caps young core including ovechkin have not been damaged for the worse by the piling up of playoff failures.

while I dont discount franchise history I think where you and I part ways on this is.....

I feel the biggest problems with the current team are found in the lineup and behind the current bench.....it seems like you feel the biggest problems with the current team are the players/coaches from the teams of the 80's/90's

When I look at Ovechkin I dont see damaged goods, I see a pissed off player who has played hard and produced. He isnt the problem IMO

Old
05-04-2011, 08:37 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:

Old
05-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Capitlols

Quote:

Well he responded poorly to a 1st round upset last year and a sweep in the 2nd round could be disastrous for him.

Back on topic. I don't discount this team from coming back. It just frustrating to see that the team has reverted back to its old ways. Win or lose I'll still support the Caps, though changes need to be made if its the latter.

Old
05-04-2011, 08:59 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
They CAN do it. But they won't. Sure they might somehow win tonight and then maybe Saturday, but I can't see this team putting the effort together that you need for four straight games. They'll tease us with a couple wins and then play stupid in Game 6 and that will be that.

Honestly though I bet they don't even show up tonight. They haven't cared for long stretches of this series, why bother showing up now?
Errr.... what were you telling me (that I agreed with, BTW) about jumping to conclusions?

But I'm not giving you the business... I understand how you feel. I was so upset last night that the missus (a HUGE Cap's fan herself) took one look at me and said:

"If you're going to get this way again I'm not going to let you watch hockey anymore."

Old
05-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Devil Dancer

Knowing this team, they will come back and lose in OT in game 7, just to make my life more miserable.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:02 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
they need to be swept.....then hopefully reality wont be clouded and they cant make excuses like "hot goaltender" or whatever.
You're not being disloyal either. Wife & I floated that same idea last night.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:02 AM
ImOnFire81

Send a message via AIM to ImOnFire81 Send a message via MSN to ImOnFire81
Sorry folks but their won't be comeback but THEIR WON'T BE A SWEEP! Its tough losing to division rival.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:

You must have a funny definition of long-term. I only count two players, neither of which should be moved at this point.

Closest otherwise would be Schultz and he's a guy (among others) that would be entertaining to watch under a disciplinarian.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:02 AM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
while I dont discount franchise history I think where you and I part ways on this is.....

I feel the biggest problems with the current team are found in the lineup and behind the current bench.....it seems like you feel the biggest problems with the current team are the players/coaches from the teams of the 80's/90's

When I look at Ovechkin I dont see damaged goods, I see a pissed off player who has played hard and produced. He isnt the problem IMO
My .02:

Let's assume Langway is correct, and although the players are not showing up for the optional practices, team meetings are still being held...

a) unless they're not attending because they're nursing an injury, what message does this send to those who do show up? No matter what your job, resentment is built when someone perceives that his/her co-worker isn't giving their all.

b) assuming Woods, BB, & DE do find an issue after studying the films, how do you implement these changes when the only surface you have to work on is a chalkboard, and not ice?

c) you study the films, and decide to "simplify" your game by taking everything to the net... so then why is AO playing the pointe all game in game 2?

d) you move AO off the pointe for game 3, and stress the need to score first, and you do... but it's washed out because (according to Locker), there was confusion on who should be on the pointe in place of AO. How do you take a Bruce Cassidy (too many men) in arguably the most important game in years (answer: see "b")?

Point D cannot be stressed enough: that goal is counted, and it's an entirely different game.

So, we now examine some individual play: Backstom is the nowhere man, Semin adds a mere "1" shot (it's a poor one), Alzner & Carlson are allowing way too much room, and your goalie goes down too early, and worse, doesn't get back up fast enough.

The question begs: did the need for regular season success burn out the team? Is this why practices are optional?

What I'm seeing is mostly management, but it doesn't stop with coaching.

Given Varly's health, and inconsistant play, no veteran presence, at least as backup, is available in goal.

While Alzner & Carlson have done well this season, they're not ready for prime time: I can see them as a legit 2nd or 3rd pairing, not as our top.

Maybe Ted needs to sweep management clean.

Last edited by BTCG: 05-04-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old
05-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCG View Post
d) you move AO off the pointe for game 3, and stress the need to score first, and you do... but it's washed out because (according to Locker), there was confusion on who should be on the pointe in place of AO. How do you take a Bruce Cassidy (too many men) in arguably the most important game in years (answer: see "b")?
The issue wasn't AO but Laich, who took a puck in the face and was playing the left point in place of AO. Semin apparently was the player at fault.

Carlson & Alzner probably are overworked but there isn't a better pairing unfortunately. On paper a 23/52 pairing ought to work but neither have been very good.

What's glaring is the lack of pace and crispness in their game. Their attack is a blunt force object rather than a scalpel. There's a lot of wasted energy and that's on preparation. In the regular season they could lull teams down to their pace but when teams are sufficiently disciplined and motivated they've been at a loss to raise their game collectively.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:52 AM
TampaDude

I love this team...been a fan for a long time...but honestly, I don't think they have it in them to take 4 straight from the Bolts.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:58 AM
garrett s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Knowing this team, they will come back and lose in OT in game 7, just to make my life more miserable.
this^^^

Old
05-04-2011, 04:31 PM
BTCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
The issue wasn't AO but Laich, who took a puck in the face and was playing the left point in place of AO. Semin apparently was the player at fault.

Carlson & Alzner probably are overworked but there isn't a better pairing unfortunately. On paper a 23/52 pairing ought to work but neither have been very good.

What's glaring is the lack of pace and crispness in their game. Their attack is a blunt force object rather than a scalpel. There's a lot of wasted energy and that's on preparation. In the regular season they could lull teams down to their pace but when teams are sufficiently disciplined and motivated they've been at a loss to raise their game collectively.
Thing is, no matter whether an injury, or just a pure mistake occurs, the coaches have to be watching these things: they were asleep @ the switch.

Lack of pace & crispness? IMHO: you play like you practice.

When practice becomes optional.... so does effort, as we all can see.

My crystal ball?

I see George blaming everything on BB... and Ted buying it.

After all, Ted's the guy who owned a company with little or no bandwidth... yet bought into the idea that he could send TV signals (AOL TV) to a set-top box.

He'll believe anything.

Closed Thread