HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Else Has a Very Hard Time Saying "No" to Prospal?

Old
05-04-2011, 03:55 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
love the guy but hes old and slow and has issues with his legs. time to move on.

hes not expensive and hes fairly productive when he plays, but were playingrussian roulett giving him another contract.

we need to get younger and more reliable and seek value per minute played, especially if we make a play for BR. vinny gives most of that, other than youth, unless hes hurt.

thanks prospal. you've been a good soldier.

time to turn the page.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Ideally, the Rangers would be able to sign him halfway through the season. I would love to see him back in blue, but I just don't think he's got a full season left in him.

I think if he doesn't play for us, some other team is going to take a flyer on him.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

I really wouldn't mind having him, I could easily see him scoring 20 goals. If it comes down to us keeping either prospal or Feds, I'd keep feds. In the end it really doesn't matter what we think it all comes down to sather and if he wants him or not and if we can get him for the right price.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:30 PM
mcsauer2738

IMO we bring him in on a preseason try-out, along with kreider as long as he signs. If Kredier shows he can play with richards-gaborik then tell vinny sorry and try to hook him up with a team out west. If Kreider is not ready then go with prospal

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:45 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
IMO we bring him in on a preseason try-out, along with kreider as long as he signs. If Kredier shows he can play with richards-gaborik then tell vinny sorry and try to hook him up with a team out west. If Kreider is not ready then go with prospal
Richards? When did they sign him? Is July 1 passed already?

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
My head says let him walk for cap space since he's old and has a bad knee, but my heart says this is the exact kind of veteran and role model we need and unquestionably loves playing in MSG for us.

I'm torn...
I hate the fact that he most likely won't be back. The guy gives it all out there every night and I just love his enthusiasm. I actually bought his jersey the day after we signed him. Every time he scores a goal you would think it was his first goal. He has so much emotion and he loves playing for this team and he loves the guys. I hate to see him get thrown under the bus like this. He even decided not to go to the World Championship so he could work on his knee and make a great effort to return next year. I'd like to see the Rangers offer him a coaching job or some kind of job in the front office. I hope he stays with the organization. I just love the guy, hate to see him go like this.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If it wasn't for Prospal we don't make the playoffs, imo.

I'd welcome him back but it depends on his knee.
if it wasn't for Wolskis shootout ability, we dont make the playoffs.

if it wasn't for Christensens shootout ability, we don't make the playoffs.

if it wasn't for Boyles 20+ goals we don't make the playoffs.

if it wasnt for Zach Parise being out for the season, we don't make the playoffs.

if it wasn't for....

when you make the playoffs via a tiebreaker, the whole "if it wasn't for" argument works for everything.

Prospal isnt going to be a guy to help us win a cup. let him walk and let a kid who will be part of the solution take his spot.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:00 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
if it wasn't for Wolskis shootout ability, we dont make the playoffs.

if it wasn't for Christensens shootout ability, we don't make the playoffs.

if it wasn't for Boyles 20+ goals we don't make the playoffs.

if it wasnt for Zach Parise being out for the season, we don't make the playoffs.

if it wasn't for....

when you make the playoffs via a tiebreaker, the whole "if it wasn't for" argument works for everything.

Prospal isnt going to be a guy to help us win a cup. let him walk and let a kid who will be part of the solution take his spot.
And who says one of the kids will be part of the solution, or flourish on the NHL roster right away? I'd rather take Vinny Prospal on the third line than an unknown prospect at this point, to help the development of Derek Stepan and MZA or whoever is on Stepan's right wing, unless Hagelin or hopefully Kreider turns heads in camp. If they're weak i'd rather take 36 year old vet Vinny and let those two develop in the AHL.

Prospal came back and ripped it up shortly after. I know what you mean, but this is the guy who scores the first 2 goals in the Bruins game where if we lose we're out right there. Boyle scored like 5 or 6 entire goals after the all-star break, I believe. I sincerely believe if Vinny wasn't here we don't make the playoffs. Same with everyone else you listed, but Prospal was an absolutely integral part of that with his superb play and leadership once he came back.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 05-04-2011 at 06:07 PM.
BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Vitto79

sorry he has to go if we want Richards. If we miss out then I dont mind bringing him back

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:04 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
sorry he has to go if we want Richards. If we miss out then I dont mind bringing him back
Why is one related to another?

I don't think that Prospal has anything to do with us getting Richards.

Drury, clearly, is a different story.

05-04-2011, 06:16 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Why is one related to another?

I don't think that Prospal has anything to do with us getting Richards.

Drury, clearly, is a different story.
They are going to need every cent even if they buy out Drury to fit in Richards and the RFA's (Packline, Boyle, Sauer)

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Kendo

I think he should undoubtedly be invited to camp. I wouldn't sign him before then, though.

This is somewhat a polarizing subject. On one side, you have the group penciling in Kreider, Hagelin, Grachev and McIlrath into next year's lineup. On the other side, you have Gagne - Richards - Gaborik on the top line with Pitkanen on the PP.

I fall somewhat in between. If no rookie forward proves themself better than Vinny and/or Feds, then by all means bring 'em both back. If, for the sake of argument, Prospal and Feds are invited to camp and Grachev puts on an exhibition of size, skill, responsibility in the defensive zone and cycling prowess, then I think it's worth it to let Ruslan go. Same goes for Prospal. If (again, however unlikely) Kreider gets signed and completely rips it up on the first line in training camp and pre-season, there's no need for Vinny.

If we went out and got a long term version of Wolski (barely 2nd liner for $3m+), then that starts to block prospects from even having a chance to make the team. If we have pretty much the team we recently iced, minus a couple UFA's plus a couple prospects, we'd again have the same trouble making the playoffs if not more. If Propsal, Fedotenko and even Eminger IMO, are offered tryouts you basically hedge your bets. I don't think there are GM's lining up around the corner to sign either of them, so I think there's a good chance that they'd both be available on a tryout basis.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

$55 million in salary and we can't afford $1 million for him? Redden's laundry costs more than that.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:48 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
And who says one of the kids will be part of the solution, or flourish on the NHL roster right away? I'd rather take Vinny Prospal on the third line than an unknown prospect at this point, to help the development of Derek Stepan and MZA or whoever is on Stepan's right wing, unless Hagelin or hopefully Kreider turns heads in camp. If they're weak i'd rather take 36 year old vet Vinny and let those two develop in the AHL.

Prospal came back and ripped it up shortly after. I know what you mean, but this is the guy who scores the first 2 goals in the Bruins game where if we lose we're out right there. Boyle scored like 5 or 6 entire goals after the all-star break, I believe. I sincerely believe if Vinny wasn't here we don't make the playoffs. Same with everyone else you listed, but Prospal was an absolutely integral part of that with his superb play and leadership once he came back.
he was ok, had some good games, and some clunkers. id rather play Evgeny Grachev than him though. imho Grachev is going to be a key guy for this team going forward.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:56 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
If by 'he' you mean 'Drury', then I concur.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:01 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
23 points in 29 games. I'd take a cheap 1 year flyer on him or at least a camp tryout.

Agree completely.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:45 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Uh...no.

I'm not renewing my seats if he's back on this team. The wheels have fallen off the car.

The younger guys need someone more than a guy who can bark. Not sure how helpful it would be to have a guy with one leg on their line slowing the game down alot to his speed.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:

Prospal came back and the Rangers lost 4 in a row. In 13 games after he came back they proceeded to go 4-9. They had an awful stretch with him coming back into the lineup.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:32 AM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
If it wasn't for Prospal we don't make the playoffs, imo.

I'd welcome him back but it depends on his knee.
Correct...

And for a team that struggles to score, I can't figure out at all why people would want to get rid of a guy who was clearly one of our best offensive players. And the numbers support that.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
that's Columbus. that's Atlanta. I want to be Detroit. I want to be New Jersey. successful franchises don't ship out their impactful vets and replace them with as many rookies as possible, as you seem to be obsessed with doing. you need people who have been there before.

Tortorella has said that Prospal has value even when he's not producing on the ice, because the younger players can see his enthusiasm for the game.

as far as him not contributing to winning a cup, whatever you want to believe. I think he already has contributed to that effort, as his play down the stretch gave the young players the experience of 5 playoff games. yeah, when it's that close (it wasn't a tie-break) there are lots of deciding factors that push you into the playoffs, but Prospal scoring big goals down the stretch contributed more than a shootout goal here and there.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:57 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Let him sit like Sundin and Forsberg and sign him before the deadline. Other teams do it, so can we. It gives him the shortened season he needs and it gives the Rangers the veteran addition they need for the playoff run, without giving up a 2nd round pick.

SAY YES to Vinny Prospal!!! Just be smart about it!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:00 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I'd bring him and Feds to camp and if the kids can not beat them out and get roster spots, you have these guys who can play on lower lines. Then, if the kids are ready, you can let them go.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1400
If he somehow comes back and we somehow buyout Drury or if Drury retires, I wouldn't mind to see Prospal as our captain for a season. But I doubt that happens, since Callahan is a shoe-in for captaincy.

05-05-2011, 06:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'd gladly take him back on a one-year deal.

I'm not handing any spots to any kids...if they earn a spot, so be it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:10 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Yea I really don't think Kreider is ready for the NHL next season.

If you look at the World Championships and had no idea about the Rangers I think you can clearly tell which of the 3 Rangers are NHL players and which is not.

Stepan and McDonagh have been VERY good while Kreider hasn't reached that level yet.

I don't want to get flamed saying that I hate Kreider and he won't be any good, I think to me personally he isn't at that level yet. Although he has made some really good strides.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote