HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jaromir Jagr

View Poll Results: Do you think Jaromir will be back with the NYR (after retiring) in some capacity?
Yes, as a representative of the organization 11 8.66%
Yes, as a guest at special Ranger events 57 44.88%
No, Sather has permanently burned that bridge 68 53.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2011, 11:27 AM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
oh man how i would love for Jagr to be brought back to us

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:56 AM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
That's ludicrous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
He finished 7th in the KHL in scoring last year, and with the olympic showing that tells me he still has something left in the tank.

That said, I would hope for a discounted deal, 4.5-6 is WAY too high.
Compared to the crap on this team? In a heartbeat I would! Go season by season. Kind of have an iffy feeling about signing him to a contract that would be longer than a season: Unless Jagr agreed to something if he hit a certain number of goals and points, then another year got added automatically.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Jagr doesn't fit in with this team's identity. He does not bring it every shift. He does not easily mesh with centers. And I don't think he would be a good fit with Torts.

No more back to the future.

05-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Jagr doesn't fit in with this team's identity. He does not bring it every shift. He does not easily mesh with centers. And I don't think he would be a good fit with Torts.

No more back to the future.
Pretty much this. One thing I wouldn't be opposed to is signing him right before the deadline. He saves his energy and can beast in the playoffs, like he did his last season here.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:27 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Four3 View Post
Compared to the crap on this team? In a heartbeat I would! Go season by season. Kind of have an iffy feeling about signing him to a contract that would be longer than a season: Unless Jagr agreed to something if he hit a certain number of goals and points, then another year got added automatically.
I never said i was against signing him. I think he'd be an upgrade over some vets on this team.

But there's no way in hell i give him 4-6 million. That's what's ludicrous.

If anything i'd offer 1.5-2 mil but im pretty much with SingnBlues, time to get past Jagr. He was great when he was here but he just doesn't fit the identity of this team going forward.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:36 PM
3Four3

Quote:
I never said i was against signing him. I think he'd be an upgrade over some vets on this team.

But there's no way in hell i give him 4-6 million. That's what's ludicrous.

If anything i'd offer 1.5-2 mil but im pretty much with SingnBlues, time to get past Jagr. He was great when he was here but he just doesn't fit the identity of this team going forward.
Selanne at 40 earned 4.5 million this season, and I think he earned another million in bonus.

I'm sorry, this team does not have an offensive player who can get into the offensive zone without dumping the puck. Jagr can.

We don't have a player who can control the puck when other players zone in on them. I've lost count to how many times Gaborik was slightly nudged by an opposing player and that was enough to get him off the puck. With Jagr, good luck getting him off the puck.

Another thing, unlike our $7 million "offensive dynamo," Jagr can also put pucks in the net in the shootout.

I'll meet you half-way: $6 million may be too much but Sather shouldn't baulk at $5 million.

Old
05-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Ail
k.

I think most of us would love to see Jagr suit-up in Ranger blue again, but realistically the Rangers can't offer him what the KHL can, and he's not really worth that in the NHL anyway.

There are Jagr rumors every off-season.

05-04-2011, 12:46 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

If it wasn't for Jagr, Sather would have about 2 playoff appearances in 11 years.

Sather is a joke and always will be.

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Selanne at 40 earned 4.5 million this season, and I think he earned another million in bonus.

I'm sorry, this team does not have an offensive player who can get into the offensive zone without dumping the puck. Jagr can.

We don't have a player who can control the puck when other players zone in on them. I've lost count to how many times Gaborik was slightly nudged by an opposing player and that was enough to get him off the puck. With Jagr, good luck getting him off the puck.

Another thing, unlike our $7 million "offensive dynamo," Jagr can also put pucks in the net in the shootout.

I'll meet you half-way: $6 million may be too much but Sather shouldn't baulk at $5 million.
Selanne also scored 27 goals in 54 games last year. He was nearly a PPG in the NHL. Jagr hasn't played in the NHL in 2 years. I'd offer no more than 3 million.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Puckhog27

Might as well take a chance on a 38 year old Kovalev instead who will probably be only 1 million per year if you are going to do that. It's much less of a risk and I doubt there will be much difference in performance at this point in their careers. IMO they are both to old though.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:09 PM
tomobson

would love to see jagr back on a one year $3-4 million or less contract, but that probably won't get it done. KHL will offer him more money, and you can't really blame him for taking it.

tomobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhog27 View Post
Might as well take a chance on a 38 year old Kovalev instead who will probably be only 1 million per year if you are going to do that. It's much less of a risk and I doubt there will be much difference in performance at this point in their careers. IMO they are both to old though.
got to be honest, comparing Kovalev and Jagr at any stage of their career is asinine.

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:

How do you know jagr can? He hasn't played in the NHL since 07-08. Who's to say that he will be able to replicate any sort of success. He scored 71 points his last full season with the Rangers and was clearly getting older. He turned it on in the playoffs and after the Rangers were knocked out Jagr ADMITTED that he could no longer go all out for 82 games and do so in the playoffs. He said that he would be worn out if he were to play his hardest through 82 games.

There is no way Jagr will put up 80+ points.

Sather shouldn't balk at 5 million? That's insane. We can't afford that and it would be much better spent on Richards, who can clearly play in this league. Jagr looked awful at the olympics last year as well.

Finally, when you discuss Jagr's physical presence, you do know he's dropped more than 20 pounds since he left NY right? Jagr is not the 250 pound animal we came to love anymore.

Look, I love jagr and wouldn't mind seeing him back for under 2 mil. But let's be real here, he can't score like he used to. You're talking about the Jagr of 3-4 years ago, that's not the Jagr of today.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
How do you know jagr can? He hasn't played in the NHL since 07-08. Who's to say that he will be able to replicate any sort of success. He scored 71 points his last full season with the Rangers and was clearly getting older. He turned it on in the playoffs and after the Rangers were knocked out Jagr ADMITTED that he could no longer go all out for 82 games and do so in the playoffs. He said that he would be worn out if he were to play his hardest through 82 games.

There is no way Jagr will put up 80+ points.

Sather shouldn't balk at 5 million? That's insane. We can't afford that and it would be much better spent on Richards, who can clearly play in this league. Jagr looked awful at the olympics last year as well.

Finally, when you discuss Jagr's physical presence, you do know he's dropped more than 20 pounds since he left NY right? Jagr is not the 250 pound animal we came to love anymore.

Look, I love jagr and wouldn't mind seeing him back for under 2 mil. But let's be real here, he can't score like he used to. You're talking about the Jagr of 3-4 years ago, that's not the Jagr of today.
I really do not believe Jagr would come back at all but to say he can't produce consistently? Come on, he was a ppg player last season for Omsk.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
I really do not believe Jagr would come back at all but to say he can't produce consistently? Come on, he was a ppg player last season for Omsk.
I believe he can score 50-60 points which i guess is consistent, especially on this team.

But I'm talking about the people who want to pay him 6 mil. He's not going to produce 80+ points anymore.

Old
05-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
I believe he can score 50-60 points which i guess is consistent, especially on this team.

But I'm talking about the people who want to pay him 6 mil. He's not going to produce 80+ points anymore.
I agree then. He definitely does not get 6 mil from anyone

Old
05-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
got to be honest, comparing Kovalev and Jagr at any stage of their career is asinine.
I don't think it is. No doubt Jagr is a greater and more consistent player, but Kovalev has had some really good years and has comparable player stats. They player a similiar style of game.

Old
05-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I can understand the Rangers didn't want to give him a multi-year 35+ contract. those are for Brashear-types.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhog27 View Post
I don't think it is. No doubt Jagr is a greater and more consistent player, but Kovalev has had some really good years and has comparable player stats. They player a similiar style of game.
O man

Old
05-04-2011, 09:20 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I can understand the Rangers didn't want to give him a multi-year 35+ contract. those are for Brashear-types.
So we settled on $4 million on Naslund - Took my breath away - and $6 million on Redden, a player still effecting our cap situation.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
O man
I'm pretty surprised that Rangers fans don't have more respect for Kovalev. He was a huge part of their last cup and played big for them in the playoffs when the team sucked after the cup. Hes not the player he once was not doubt and I wouldn't sign him. Then again Jagr isn't that great anymore either I don't think and wouldn't really make the team that much better at this point in his career. On top of that he would cost a lot more money. I'm just pointing it out. It's not like Kovalev can't still carry the puck into the zone and QB the PP. That is one thing he could probably still do at his age and he could do it for a lot cheaper.

Old
05-05-2011, 04:13 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

There are some players who can fit on any team. To say Jagr doesn't fit on this team is ridiculous. Not every player plays within the same style, doesn't mean they can't be used affectively on a team.

For a team that is lacking scoring, play making ability, and in the power play department--- Jagr will help them in all those categories. He's still an impact on the ice b/c he's Jagr.

Sign me up.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:04 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Also, Hemsky and Jagr are just as close of friends as Jagr and Plekanec, just sayin'

Not sure how it can work cap wise...and I know Callahan should be in the top 6-- but imagine this..

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Hemsky-Stepan-Jagr

Last edited by hpNYR: 05-05-2011 at 06:47 AM.
hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:06 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
it's not even about Sather "permanently burning a bridge," I just don't see a roll with any NHL team in Jagr's future. He's gotten pretty cozy in the KHL and something tells me he enjoys home Russia and being close to home much more than he enjoys the U.S.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:07 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
There are some players who can fit on any team. To say Jagr doesn't fit on this team is ridiculous. Not every player plays within the same style, doesn't mean they can't be used affectively on a team.

For a team that is lacking scoring, play making ability, and in the power play department--- Jagr will help them in all those categories. He's still an impact on the ice b/c he's Jagr.

Sign me up.
I don't think Jagr is the type of player that fits on any team, especially at this age. He wasn't even a good fit on the Rangers in his last year here. How quickly some forget.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote