HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone up for a rally?

Old
05-04-2011, 09:58 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

vCash: 500
Anyone up for a rally?

I'm completely serious. I imagine at the stadium would work, or at the practice facilities. Hell, if we can get ANYONE to pay attention, such as the news or anyone in management, it could do something. Would anyone be interested in doing a "Get a Goalie" rally before the free agency period starts? It's like...it's like he doesn't get it. But if the fans are loud enough, maybe something might come of it?

I know it's a shot in the dark, but this is just getting embarrassing.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:01 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I'm completely serious. I imagine at the stadium would work, or at the practice facilities. Hell, if we can get ANYONE to pay attention, such as the news or anyone in management, it could do something. Would anyone be interested in doing a "Get a Goalie" rally before the free agency period starts? It's like...it's like he doesn't get it. But if the fans are loud enough, maybe something might come of it?

I just logged on here with my phone to say we should A petition about "get a goalie"
As fans we know it's important.

Listen to us! Bob isn't ready yet, get a goalie and we will win!

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:04 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

If we do it on a weekend, I guarantee we could get a ton of people. Hell, go through FB and get it going. Seriously, if we get good numbers, it could really make a statement. I'll set it up if people are interested.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:06 PM
JVR21
G

I'm all ****ing for it.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Flyersfan139

Do it before a Phillies game or something, that would be perfect. Get people from the phillies stadium to join in and you can go to the game after

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:20 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan139 View Post
Do it before a Phillies game or something, that would be perfect. Get people from the phillies stadium to join in and you can go to the game after
You are a sensible freakin' man. I think the stadium is an obvious choice, but how do we get coverage/get the message to management?

I'm being serious, by the way. I think this could actually do good. I'm done finals this Monday and I'll hardcore organize then.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:41 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
You are a sensible freakin' man. I think the stadium is an obvious choice, but how do we get coverage/get the message to management?

I'm being serious, by the way. I think this could actually do good. I'm done finals this Monday and I'll hardcore organize then.
Hahaha You better film it! That would be awesome!

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:41 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:

If you started a Facebook group/even and it got enough followers and you linked it to local media, I promise you it'd get coverage. If you had enough followers, that is.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:43 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Quote:

If you want to do it on Friday after game four I'll probably be s***faced enough I'll do anything.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:45 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
If you want to do it on Friday after game four I'll probably be s***faced enough I'll do anything.
Can't do it on short notice.

In my opinion, this has to be organized a while in advanced. At least a month or so. That allows plenty of time for word to spread, people to rally up on Facebook, and media coverage to get ahold of it.

Also, it should coincide with something meaningful. What bout the weekend of the NHL draft?

Especially if the WFC is having any kind of draft party or coverage or something. Stage a big rally/protest/something in the sports compound, get organized about it and make it at a time when people will already be somewhat clued into the locale to begin with.

Old
05-04-2011, 10:59 PM
hof2120

Set it up and I will be there. Drunk, belligerent, and yelling obscene things about the Flyers management.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:25 AM
iamcanadian23

I was actually thinking this earlier, about how awesome it would be if a letter-writing campaign or rally were started - and we were actually listened to. I would be all for it, but don't live in the area. Unfortunately, I don't think management really cares what the fans think or want. They'll get our money win or lose, that's part of the problem.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 09:39 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Everyone will claim they would come, no one would actually come.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 10:00 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Everyone will claim they would come, no one would actually come.
I bet a good number of people would show up.

Nowhere near as many people as would likely join the group/like the FB page or what have you, but I bet enough people would turn up to at least turn heads.

Old
05-05-2011, 10:20 AM
buff

Okay... So i can already imagine all the pressure that new goalie will have...

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 11:32 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Okay, so there is at least some interest. Next week I'll set up a Facebook group, but I'd like to get a date set first.

Also this isn't about being unrealistic or even negative, because being negative just makes anything reasonable ignored and glazed over. I'm not looking to put pressure on a new goalie to carry us to the Cup, I just want Homer to get a proven goaltender and to stop taking risks with the important position.

Think about it, last year he came in with Leighton and Boosh, who essentially lost us the Cup. We were going to repeat that this year! So he ends up lucking out with Bob, who was great for a rookie but he's only a rookie. Look at what we did to Price his rookie year.

I think we just need to say, "Hey, pay attention to this position, we want a Cup." It baffles me how a team who won two Cups due to a Hall of Fame goaltender can ignore the position.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:06 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

in the legendary words of waka flaka flame, "oh-le-do-eeeee"

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:27 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Because that would totally work and management doesn't at all see that goaltending is a weakness.....come on people.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 02:43 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Because that would totally work and management doesn't at all see that goaltending is a weakness.....come on people.
They've clearly made it a priority of late.

Old
05-05-2011, 02:45 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
I'm sure management sees it, but if we got a ton of FANS who spend their money on tickets to say "we're not happy," it might do something. I know it's a shot in the dark, but it's still a shot. I'm more than willing to try.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:19 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
They've clearly made it a priority of late.
Look at this organization's attitude towards goalies the last 20 years. They clearly don't see it as being the biggest priority. They've held strong to their belief that if the team is good enough in front of him, a patchwork goalie would be good enough to make the basic saves and the team can have success. They know very well that the goaltending has been bad, but strongly believe that if the forwards and defense are so skilled and deep, then a mediocre goalie can be good enough to win a cup. I really hope that this year is a wakeup call, and I've been calling for a sacrifice in depth in other areas in exchange for a good goalie since I joined this board 4 years ago. But, until the organization changes its ways and I see it with my own eyes that they acquire a top goalie, I don't believe it will happen, as much as I want it to.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:30 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Look at this organization's attitude towards goalies the last 20 years. They clearly don't see it as being the biggest priority. They've held strong to their belief that if the team is good enough in front of him, a patchwork goalie would be good enough to make the basic saves and the team can have success. They know very well that the goaltending has been bad, but strongly believe that if the forwards and defense are so skilled and deep, then a mediocre goalie can be good enough to win a cup. I really hope that this year is a wakeup call, and I've been calling for a sacrifice in depth in other areas in exchange for a good goalie since I joined this board 4 years ago. But, until the organization changes its ways and I see it with my own eyes that they acquire a top goalie, I don't believe it will happen, as much as I want it to.
Last year should have been a pretty ****ing clear wake up call.

It wasn't.

I don't trust Holmgren to suddenly realize goaltending is our biggest undoing. If he had acknowledged it when we were playing musical goaltenders last year, we probably have a Cup by now and are on the way to another.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:37 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I don't trust him to make a move either, so I'm trying to find a way to get the message to him that we are not happy. I know "we're just fans," but we buy tickets, concessions, merchandise...we matter. If Snyder sees the fans turning against the team, he might tell Homer to do something about it, or even find a new GM. It cannot hurt to at least try is all I'm saying. If you think it's pointless, don't show up. But I'm willing to try anything at this point to be honest.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:43 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Last year should have been a pretty ****ing clear wake up call.

It wasn't.

I don't trust Holmgren to suddenly realize goaltending is our biggest undoing. If he had acknowledged it when we were playing musical goaltenders last year, we probably have a Cup by now and are on the way to another.
That's what I said. They didn't see it as a priority last year(or he actually thought Leighton was the answer), and didn't address it. I said I don't think they will legitimately address the situation until I actually see it happen for sure, as much as I want it to happen.

Old
05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
That's what I said. They didn't see it as a priority last year(or he actually thought Leighton was the answer), and didn't address it. I said I don't think they will legitimately address the situation until I actually see it happen for sure, as much as I want it to happen.
So with your initial comment, you questioned us for doubting that the management doesn't see it as something that needs fixing, but are now agreeing that it isn't a priority and may very well not be again this summer?