HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Is it a good time to go after Backstrom...

Old
05-04-2011, 11:33 PM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Is it a good time to go after Backstrom...

I just watched Wash lose 4 straight once again ive been thinking they may be inclined to make some changes. They tried changing the system it didnt work to well. Sure vs a offensive depleted NYR they got by, although not by much, they still seemed to have problems. I know they may be looking to change the coach but George and the owner must be thinking of other ways to change the culture. Next is possible some player changes. After a poor performance point wise for Backstrom and the up and coming Johansson(plays very similar style) filling his role, is it possible Wash will look to move Backstrom.

The Rangers have played Wash very well during the regular season that would do well for there perception of our players. Its also clear they need more reliable depth that they might be looking to add esp from the Rangers guys who have created an identity of heart and soul guys. IDK i think i would really like a guy like Backstrom on this team and im wandering what it would take to make George really consider it during draft day etc. Do we have enough with taking Lundy off the table and possibly Staal? I know everyone wants Richards which would not be a bad option, im just wandering what people would give for a guy like this.

Last edited by satrabyk: 05-04-2011 at 11:40 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:36 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I just watched Wash lose 4 straight once again ive been thinking they may be inclined to make some changes. They tried changing the system it didnt work to well. Sure vs a offensive depleted NYR they got by, although not by much, they still seemed to have problems. I know they may be looking to change the coach but George and the owner must be thinking of other ways to change the culture. Next is possible some player changes. After a poor performance point wise for Backstrom and the up and coming Johansson(plays very similar style) filling his role, is it possible Wash will look to move Backstrom.

The Rangers have played Wash very well during the regular season that would do well for there perception of our players. Its also clear they need more reliable depth that they might be looking to add esp from the Rangers guys who have created an identity of heart and soul guys. IDK i think i would really like a guy like Backstrom on this team and im wandering what it would take to make George really consider it during draft day etc. Do we have enough with taking Lundy off the table and possibly Stall? I know everyone wants Richards which would not be a bad option, im just wandering what people would give for a guy like this.

Didn't you just agree that Backstrom would cost too much in another thread?

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:38 PM
NYRKING30

no way and no thanks

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Price would be way to much. And he just doesn't show up in the playoffs, at all.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:50 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Price would be way to much. And he just doesn't show up in the playoffs, at all.
Last year he was their best forward.

32 points in 37 career playoff games. He just had an awful year, all around. Prior to this season, he had 30 points in 28 games.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:51 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
But that is the only reason a highly skilled guy like that will possibly be on the market. There is a risk but imo he has a competetive edge to him that can produce in the playoffs.

Old
05-04-2011, 11:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Can't help but feel when people are suggesting trades, they're often only focusing on the impact of the players they're trading for, and seldom thinking about the impact of losing the players going the other way. Do you really believe adding Backstrom and potentially subtracting players like Girardi and one of Callahan/Dubinsky is dramatically improving the team overall to the extent where it's worth the risk/gamble? If we lost those players and Backstrom put up just 2 assists in 9 playoff games with the Rangers the way he did this season, the fans would burn the Garden down. That's why you don't see these types of trades being made. It a pretty unnecessary risk to take as a GM when you can just be patient and address your needs through FA signings that don't cost you any key players on your roster, or trade for players when their contracts are about to expire so their value is lessened. Look at how Holmgren has benefited from a FA signing like Briere, 29 goals and 59 points in 55 playoff games in his 4 seasons with the Flyers. If the Flyers had to trade players like Richards/Cartrer/Giroux to acquire a player like Briere, they wouldn't be nearly as strong up front with their forward depth.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 05-05-2011 at 12:15 AM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:00 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
But that is the only reason a highly skilled guy like that will possibly be on the market.
And that doesn't concern you? That's the most important phase of the season.

Quote:
There is a risk but imo he has a competetive edge to him that can produce in the playoffs.
But he doesn't have the track record, so that's a big gamble, especially considering you would have to over extend your offer to convince the Capitals to part ways with a player they value.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:04 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Can't help but feel when people are suggesting trades, they're often only focusing on the impact of the playing they're trading for, and seldom thinking about the impact of losing the players going the other way. Do you really believe adding Backstrom and potentially subtracting players like Girardi and one of Callahan/Dubinsky is dramatically improving the team overall to the extent where it's worth the risk/gamble? That's why you don't see these types of trades being made. It a pretty unnecessary risk to take as a GM when you can just be patient and address your needs through FA signings that don't cost you any key players on your roster. Look at how Holmgren has benefited from a FA signing like Briere, 29 goals and 59 points in 55 playoff games in his 4 seasons with the Flyers. If the Flyers had to trade a Richards/Cartrer/Giroux to acquire a player like Briere, they wouldn't be nearly as strong up front on their depth chart as they have been.
True but i think this teams seems to be building an a large amount of 2nd-4th liners and is in real need for top line players and guys who can make things happen with a man advantage because they are elite skill. If the price was Girardi and one of Dubi/Cally and a prospect i would really consider making that trade. I know Girardi has become a fan fav and he blocks a lot of shots imo i think we have D coming in like Sauer, Mcd that will fill his role. Than it prob includes a guy like Dubi who i love but its becoming more clear he is not a 1st line player than Backstrom is. Than we prob include a prospect idk who but someone with some potential. Sure getting Richards could be a good option if he will come here for sure but if not we need a top line center and this might be are best option.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:06 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
And that doesn't concern you? That's the most important phase of the season.

But he doesn't have the track record, so that's a big gamble, especially considering you would have to over extend your offer to convince the Capitals to part ways with a player they value.
Obviously if they still value him very highly this trade would not work. But there is a chance he is not valued as highly for the points you made yourself, that he didnt play well enough in the playoffs.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Huh he had one down year in the playoffs. Before this year he was over a PPG and he was Washington's best forward last year. He's pretty damn good in the post-season.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Obviously if they still value him very highly this trade would not work. But there is a chance he is not valued as highly for the points you made yourself, that he didnt play well enough in the playoffs.
He's still value extremely highly.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:15 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
He's still value extremely highly.
Yes but it doesent hurt to try an Girardi, Dubi, prospect for him does it?

Old
05-05-2011, 12:18 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Well unfortunately he's signed for the next 9 years so you'd be much better served trying to trade for a player who's current contract is closer to expiring. That's if anyone is even available.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:22 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Not even close.

The talk starts with Staal.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:26 AM
NYRKING30

i wouldn't trade for backstrom. I just dont think he would be a great fit on this team especially at the likely high asking price for him and his hefty price tag. what does he make 7 or 8 mill? i personally feel he would just crumble under the pressure here and nyc. playing in washington makes him better and is probably the best place to play for him right now. there is way more people i can think of id rather have then backstrom.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:37 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
i wouldn't trade for backstrom. I just dont think he would be a great fit on this team especially at the likely high asking price for him and his hefty price tag. what does he make 7 or 8 mill? i personally feel he would just crumble under the pressure here and nyc. playing in washington makes him better and is probably the best place to play for him right now. there is way more people i can think of id rather have then backstrom.
6.7m for like 10 more years i think

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:05 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
If anything, his track record shows that he's, at worst, an above average playoff performer, and that this year was an anomaly. Which is why I don't understand the "he's not a playoff performer" posts.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 01:20 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I am going after Richards before I consider Backstrom. FREE >>> I don't even want to think what he'd cost us. Probably Anisimov/Stepan, Callahan, McD. Nooo thank you.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:24 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Backstrom is not going anywhere. The two players I could see being available on the Caps are Green and Semin.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Backstrom is not going anywhere. The two players I could see being available on the Caps are Green and Semin.
Green is awful, I don't care how much offense he brings...he is out of the lineup and the Caps play fundamental hockey, he returns and they are a train wreck, except against us, of course!

Semin is a talented player with great offensive talents with zero heart...Torts would lose his mind with him.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:38 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Post this on the main board and you likely get

One of:
Staal/girardi
Dubi/cali
2011 1st
Was 2nd

And that's probably not enough, the guy had a down year and his team faceplanted, doesn't mean a guy like that becomes easily available.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:43 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

No thanks. Backstrom is soft and disappears when his team needs him most. No goals and 2 assists in 9 playoff games from your "elite center" who happens to have AO on his wing most of the time? Again - no thanks.

(I'd rather have Laich, at considerably less money, any day of the week when you consider everything - grit/salary/work ethic - and he's a UFA)

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:52 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Actually, it would. If we made that deal, we probably aren't signing Richards since we'll have to use whatever money we have to replace Girardi and find someone to play left wing.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:15 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Why on earth would you (anyone) want to move Girardi of all people? The guy is a horse and was probably our best defender in the playoffs. No way do I trade a guy who lead the league in blocked shots, plays every shift against the other team's top line, and averages 20+ minutes a night for Mr. Softie.

And, Mr. Girardi also led our team in D scoring...

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote