HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does the Tampa/Washington Series Make You Change Your Opinion of the Rangers?

Old
05-04-2011, 10:03 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Nothing went right for us.

We couldn't score goals.

Couldn't protect leads.

Washington winning that series was more about us playing badly than the Caps playing well.
I agree with everything but the last line...aside from a period or 2 the Caps dominated the series...but a bounce here or there and they could have pulled off a huge upset

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:25 AM
HoosierDaddy

Enough with the lamenting...

Not too long ago TB was picking 1st overall (Stamkos) and 2nd overall (Hedman). They used the tried and true tank method to stock up on high-end talent. Sprinkle in an innovative coach and the rising star in the GM seat and you become the 2010-2011 Lightning. And that name is appropriate as they are fast as heck.

Rangers? We're in the middle ring of Dante's inferno. Not good enough to contend for Cups or shiney new draft picks. A blow-hard coach and Fossil for a GM. Presto! Your Father's new york Rangers. Under mediocre in the dictionary is a Ranger logo.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
Not too long ago TB was picking 1st overall (Stamkos) and 2nd overall (Hedman). They used the tried and true tank method to stock up on high-end talent. Sprinkle in an innovative coach and the rising star in the GM seat and you become the 2010-2011 Lightning. And that name is appropriate as they are fast as heck.

Rangers? We're in the middle ring of Dante's inferno. Not good enough to contend for Cups or shiney new draft picks. A blow-hard coach and Fossil for a GM. Presto! Your Father's new york Rangers. Under mediocre in the dictionary is a Ranger logo.
Dont agree with your Dennis Miller-like musings much. But I will say this - your portrayal is much closer to reality than the portrayal in some of the other threads about how this team is on the up and up.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:46 AM
bubba5

It shows we need to add some offensive players without taking away too much of the grit we have now.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If we pick up Richards i believe we can beat any team in the East, at least.
yea TB has St Louis, Lecavalier, Stamkos so of course they have more fire power. Rangers lack the big guns so Richards would make a huge difference

I don't think anything less of the team they could of easily brought it to 6 , lost 2 in OT and one was a complete collapse and should of never happened.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:20 AM
GAGLine

If Tampa's success against washington means that we are worse that we thought, did philly's success last year mean that we were cup contenders?

Nope. Neither means anything. Some teams match up better against other teams. Some teams get hot at the right time. We could have easily been up 3-1 against washington, but we blew 2 third period leads. This team will learn from it and grow and be better for it, but it still needs more high end players to take the pressure off the others.

Last edited by GAGLine: 05-04-2011 at 11:28 AM.
GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Makes me wonder if spending 6.5 million on a goalie is the way to go. I said it 2 yrs ago that a better then avg goalie with people who can score is better then having a a standout goalie and no offense.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:09 PM
MorrisWanchuk

haven't read this thread (yet, am at work) but wanted to quickly say my piece....

i think this is about matchups.

TB > WASH
(TB trap the caps entering their zone, washington aren't a good dump & chase team, that you need to be to get at tampa's D - Mark Crawford stated this well last night on the nhl network)

TB = NYR
- we can compete with tampa because we can play that dump, chase and recycle way and we successfully frustrate their top players with our D.

WASH>NYR
we just cannot match them for skill when they play their speed game. We have similar issues this year playing a super fast Montreal team.

i think it comes down to matchups

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:18 PM
pwoz

Tampa doesn't sit on their ***** like a bunch of sissies. They ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!!

Oh, and they have actual talent on the first 2 lines.

MUST BE NICE!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:24 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

no power play. no chance.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
haven't read this thread (yet, am at work) but wanted to quickly say my piece....

TB > WASH
(TB trap the caps entering their zone, washington aren't a good dump & chase team, that you need to be to get at tampa's D - Mark Crawford stated this well last night on the nhl network)

TB = NYR
- we can compete with tampa because we can play that dump, chase and recycle way and we successfully frustrate their top players with our D.

WASH>NYR
we just cannot match them for skill when they play their speed game. We have similar issues this year playing a super fast Montreal team.

This is it exactly.

Of course the Caps aren't as bad as Tampa makes them look, nor are they as good as the Rangers made them look.

Tampa struggled with the Pens because without their offensive flare they played a similar game to the Rangers.

Tampa just out matches the Caps.

That being said, the Rangers still have a lot of work to do.

05-04-2011, 12:49 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

It doesn't change a thing. We can't score, and our PP is terrible due to the fact that we lack serious talent.

End of story...

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:33 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I don't necessarily think that my opinion has changed on the Rangers at all.

We all already knew that Tampa could score with some of the best of them, and well the Rangers can't.

However, plugged into Microsoft Excel =09-10 Gaborik+Richards(chemistry)+? means that we will be right there with them in goal scoring ability.

I personally feel like if we get Richards, and he and Gaborik develop chemistry, we are only 1 more scoring piece away from being better than WAS, PHI, PIT, BOS, etc. (Stamkos anyone? )

05-04-2011, 05:34 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:

TB > WASH

TB = NYR

WASH>NYR

Pretty good post, but I disagree with the bolded part. Tampa owned us all year, and their offense is at least comparable to WAS so I don't think we would fair too well against TB.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Nothing went right for us.

We couldn't score goals.

Couldn't protect leads.

Washington winning that series was more about us playing badly than the Caps playing well.
And the Caps had the refs in their back pocket

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 06:13 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Let us not forget that Tampa was atop the conference for a good portion of the season.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

The only team the Capitals have beaten in the playoffs since the lockout is the Rangers. Otherwise they get bounced every single time. That's ****in humiliating.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:53 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Lottery picks have a way of seeping into winning rosters
Yeh...ask the Islanders:laugh :

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2011, 11:59 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I dunno. Hawks won with a young core. Stamkos and Hedman are young, yeah. The Hawks didn't have a veteran blueline (not as old), veteran goalie, an experienced 31 year old captain and a their leading scoring wasn't 35 years old.

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree with the comparison.

Well, there's only so much a city can do to fill out a 60k seat stadium. The south's a football region, no question. More college than pro, in my opinion. The Atlanta situation is really similar to Tampa. Tampa's a psycho Bucs town, and they couldn't even sell out once this season with a winning team. It's the economy. There were times where they sucked after they won the Super Bowl in 02-03. They still brought in a solid crowd if not a sell out.
BINGO! Tampa is a very good sportstown. They did a very nice job supporting their hockey team when they expanded. When they got good a decade ago, once more the town sold out almost nightly.

The debacle in the late 00's hurt, but moreso, the economy has decimated that region.
Everybody will try and use the economy to mitage poor attendance, but in Tampa's case it really is true.
Overall the region has some of the highest unemployment and foreclosure rates. This was a major area that got ranshacked by the housing bubble.

You need proof?

Take a look at the Bucs. Everybody knows Tampa is a major football town. Their football team had a season ticket wait list of over 25,000, they sold out every game for about 15 years, then all the sudden, blackouts started. The Bucs went on to have a surprising season with 10 wins yet could not sell out a single game.
The Baseball team has terrible attendance, but outstanding TV ratings.
Finally, the hockey club as mentioned had a spike in attendance but not sell outs, again looking at the whole picture you see it's not about poor fan support but other circumstances.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:02 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Makes me wonder if spending 6.5 million on a goalie is the way to go. I said it 2 yrs ago that a better then avg goalie with people who can score is better then having a a standout goalie and no offense.
Ask the Flyers.
The Rangers problem is not with Lundqvist nor his salary.
Without an elite goalie like Henrik the Rangers are a bottom 5 team.
The Rangers problem is a lack of scoring and skill amongst their skaters.

His 6.5 million salary is not the reason they can't fill out a roster. It's bad drafting.
The Flyers have finished better than the Rangers every season but one in the last 15 years.
They have been able to draft Carter, Richards, and Giroux, all of whom are superior skill guys that we have drafted.

The right way to build IS TO DEVELOP your own top end skill players.
Not waste salary signing 30 year old 2nd tier players (Gomez, Drury, Redden, Holik, Kamesky, Kasperitis) to star salaries.

Old
05-05-2011, 12:16 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHudlander View Post
Ask the Flyers.
The Rangers problem is not with Lundqvist nor his salary.
Without an elite goalie like Henrik the Rangers are a bottom 5 team.
The Rangers problem is a lack of scoring and skill amongst their skaters.

His 6.5 million salary is not the reason they can't fill out a roster. It's bad drafting.
The Flyers have finished better than the Rangers every season but one in the last 15 years.
They have been able to draft Carter, Richards, and Giroux, all of whom are superior skill guys that we have drafted.

The right way to build IS TO DEVELOP your own top end skill players.
Not waste salary signing 30 year old 2nd tier players (Gomez, Drury, Redden, Holik, Kamesky, Kasperitis) to star salaries.
Bingo. The issue isn't Henrik's salary, it's guys like Drury, Redden, Boogaard, Avery etc, that are just wastes of space.

Imagine if you put Richards in Drury's place and a guy like Pitkanen in Reddens. This team would be a contender. Then you go after a top 6 winger with the leftover salary from Redden, Boogaard and Avery.

There is just WAY to much waste on this team. Lundqvist is far and away the only guy that earns an elite salary on this squad.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:18 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
The fact that the Rangers made it to the playoffs was surprising enough considering the very average talent level of the team as a whole. So no, I don't think we should be disappointed that they didn't fare better. Gaborik had a terrible year and Callahan's loss was a huge blow. The team overachieved and fortunately the kids got a taste of playoff hockey which will better prepare them for next time.
Not to mention Staal was not near 100% after his injury.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Boudreau said it himself, the Rangers played great, they just dont have the elite players the Lightning do.

Go get me Richards and someone else elite, and we can be a legitimate cup contender.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 12:45 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
Bingo. The issue isn't Henrik's salary, it's guys like Drury, Redden, Boogaard, Avery etc, that are just wastes of space.

Imagine if you put Richards in Drury's place and a guy like Pitkanen in Reddens. This team would be a contender. Then you go after a top 6 winger with the leftover salary from Redden, Boogaard and Avery.

There is just WAY to much waste on this team. Lundqvist is far and away the only guy that earns an elite salary on this squad.
Yea and what is really funny when people say "Well the Rangers are built the wrong way...from the goalie out."
You make it sound like the Rangers CHOOSE to be this way.
They lucked out that a 7th rounder named Lundqvist turned out to be a top player.

The Rangers stink because outside of Lundqvist they have not developed despite years of being bad or medicore an all star caliber top player.
Period.
There is no rule saying you can have only one star.
The Rangers problem is they draft generally lousy, and try to overcompensate by spending star money on over the hill secondary busts.

The Rangers aren't built around Lundqvist.
They are built around draft busts or 3rd liner home grown products and free agent busts.
Drury and his 7.5 million, Gaborik and his 7.5 million, Gomez and his 7 million, and so fourth is what the Rangers were built as, and why they have been medicore.
Lundqvist is the reason they haven't been the Islanders.

If you think for a minute the Rangers problem is their philosphy of having a star goalie you are wrong.

Old
05-05-2011, 01:34 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:

TB > WASH

TB = NYR

WASH>NYR

TB > NYR
while we are on even playing ice 5 on 5, with their awesome PP and our pathetic PP, that would be the difference in the series. Our PK is great, but their PK is not as bad as our PP to make up the difference.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote