HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where Does Your Anger Lie?

View Poll Results: Where Does Your Anger Lie?
Kris Versteeg - For bringing the Leafs to the Flyers. 9 5.20%
Mike Richards - For not leading by example. 13 7.51%
Scott Hartnell - For not knowing how to skate. 1 0.58%
Ville Leino - For not stepping up like last year. 0 0%
Jeff Carter - For never being a clutch player. 2 1.16%
Blair Betts - For sucking at faceoffs. 0 0%
Matt Carle - For reminding us he sucks without Pronger. 2 1.16%
Brian Boucher - For pretending to be a starting goalie. 10 5.78%
Sergei Bobrovsky - For getting beat easily up high. 3 1.73%
Michael Leighton - For being alive. 1 0.58%
Peter Laviolette - For messing with the goalies heads. 6 3.47%
Paul Holmgren - For not getting a goalie. 95 54.91%
Ed Snider - For never hiring a GM that will get a goalie. 6 3.47%
Other 5 2.89%
No one - It is what it is. What can you do? 20 11.56%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-05-2011, 03:51 AM
BillDineen

vCash: 500
Where Does Your Anger Lie?

Kris Versteeg - For bringing the Leafs to the Flyers.
Mike Richards - For not leading by example.
Scott Hartnell - For not knowing how to skate.
Ville Leino - For not stepping up like last year.
Jeff Carter - For never being a clutch player.
Blair Betts - For sucking at faceoffs.
Matt Carle - For reminding us he sucks without Pronger.
Brian Boucher - For pretending to be a starting goalie.
Sergei Bobrovsky - For getting beat easily up high.
Michael Leighton - For being alive.
Peter Laviolette - For messing with the goalies heads.
Paul Holmgren - For not getting a goalie.
Ed Snider - For never hiring a GM that will get a goalie.
Other
No one - It is what it is. What can you do?

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:41 AM
decadentia

Honestly, I think Snider has a ton of say in what goes on. But if i'm going to not go with assumptions like that, Holmgren, **** em. Get a goalie already.

But I said the same thing last year, and hoped goaltending wouldnt be such a big deal again this year. Not only that though, our defense sucked ass too, we didn't get the effort needed almost all around.

Edit: Efforted is not a word

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 04:44 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Homer
Carle
Richards
What can you do

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 05:16 AM
Jimmy Villa

There really should be an ALL option, because ALL of these things are reasons why the Flyers have underachieved again.

But I went with Homer, because dammit, he should've added a stud goalie last off-season

Second in the blame list is the core players. Who have been crap players.
Richards - $5.75m - 1G 5A 6P
Hartnell - $4.2m - 1G 3A 4P
Versteeg - $3.083m - 0G 5A 5P
Carter - $5.00m - 1G 1A 2P
Leino - $800k - 3G 2A 5P

So in 10 playoff games so far (5 for Carter) this lot have produced 6 goals and 16 assists for a combined cap hit of $18.833 million.........almost able

The entire D core is 3rd to blame

All rubbish to this point. Hell, since February

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:00 AM
JVR21
G

I wish we had the option to vote on more than one.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:16 AM
iamcanadian23

As easy as it is to hate on the players, Paul Holmgren brought them all together.

Versteeg was a terrible trade. Why he thought he should give up two draft picks, including a first round choice, to acquire this guys is beyond me. Huge failure so far.

Shelley was a brutal signing. Of all the guys to spend a million and change on, we picked this one? Sorry, but just no use in spending on a skill-less fighter anymore.

Boucher/Leighton, as bad as they are - Holmgren is the guy to blame here. These are two career backup goaltenders, neither should have been counted on to do anything but come in off the bench on occassion. The fact that both of these guys are imploding in the playoffs should not be a surprise, they are simply not starters.

I have some problems with the coach here and there, but the brunt of the blame should lie at the feet of our general manager. Unfortunately, like every other year of playoff failure for this team - I think the coach will be blamed and we will suffer through another year of terrible management, being told that we have the right team in place to win - but just need the coaching. This group of players needs to man-up and take responsibility.

And, for the future - and this one may be an unpopular opinion - but I have strong belief that we will all come to hate him for the Pronger contract too. This one just strikes me as the second coming of Derian Hatcher. A guy we have acquired, past his prime, who is going to be plagued by nagging injuries but refuse to retire. We have Pronger for way too many seasons in the future, considering his age and injury status already.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:44 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcanadian23 View Post
We have Pronger for way too many seasons in the future, considering his age and injury status already.
It's scary isn't it

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 06:53 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
All of these options are plausible.
I voted for Boucher, you cant blame coaching or the GM for the terrible goals he has allowed this playoff season.
If he doesnt retire this summer I say we form a lynch mob.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:10 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
All of these options are plausible.
I voted for Boucher, you cant blame coaching or the GM for the terrible goals he has allowed this playoff season.
If he doesnt retire this summer I say we form a lynch mob.
As long as he didn't go to Homer this summer and said "Don't worry Paul, I got this" I have a hard time blaming him. He's a back-up. He always was, he always will be. It's who he is, and it's not his fault.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I voted for "it is what it is"

Since Feburary this team has been awful. The fact we got past Buffalo was a huge achievement.

I associate it with Pronger's absence. When he got hurt, the team struggled. I don't think the team would be in this boat with a healthy Pronger. We obtained Pronger to get us over the hump. Without him, there is really no reason to think we can get over the hump.

I am annoyed at the goaltending as well. I believed that a top defense would limit the poor quality of goaltending. Obviously, I was wrong.

On a positive note, at least with Washingon getting swept, it doesn't make the Flyers the biggest goats of the offseason.

Also on a positve note, due to our failure, I am hoping Holmgren lets all of the free agents leave so he can have enough money to get a real goalie. I wouldn't resign Carcillo, Zherdev, or Leino. As good as Leino is, it is way more important to sign a legitimate #1 goalie. I would rather go this route than trying to trade for one.

Walker, Shelly, and Leighton can sit all year in the minors to clear up space as well.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:21 AM
RoyMunson

Last night falls on Lav. Team looked unprepared to play what was essentially an elimination game.

I also believe that Bob is damaged or atleast Lav thinks Bob is damaged... how much fault Lav has there, I don't know.

RoyMunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:30 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
I'm blaming everyone. Richards pissed me off last so he gets my vote. But they all deserve it.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMunson View Post
Last night falls on Lav. Team looked unprepared to play what was essentially an elimination game.

I also believe that Bob is damaged or atleast Lav thinks Bob is damaged... how much fault Lav has there, I don't know.
Whoa there. This team called out the coach for overworking them and they then "coasted" their way into the playoffs, the lack of preperation falls on the players for not amping up the intensity. This is the same team, same system, and same coach as last season. The issue was not a lack of being prepared, it was a lack of consistent effort by the players which has plagued the team since February.

For example, the Bruins had a 2-0 lead and they amped up the intensity, not giving the Flyers good chances. The Flyers go up 2-0 in game two and they fall back and let the game come to them, lack of coverage, and a lack of intensity. Only so many timeouts a coach can call.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Swiper the Fox

this all falls on goaltending
vs buffalo and vs boston
the goaltending has been horrendous

I don't blame the players as much as I blame the goaltending

if there was better goaltending, the players would have played with a lot more confidence.
the players were basically the same as us here on these boards
sick of the goaltending and had no confidence in them at all. ( they just can't say it )

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:40 AM
buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
There really should be an ALL option, because ALL of these things are reasons why the Flyers have underachieved again.

But I went with Homer, because dammit, he should've added a stud goalie last off-season

Second in the blame list is the core players. Who have been crap players.
Richards - $5.75m - 1G 5A 6P
Hartnell - $4.2m - 1G 3A 4P
Versteeg - $3.083m - 0G 5A 5P
Carter - $5.00m - 1G 1A 2P
Leino - $800k - 3G 2A 5P

So in 10 playoff games so far (5 for Carter) this lot have produced 6 goals and 16 assists for a combined cap hit of $18.833 million.........almost able

The entire D core is 3rd to blame

All rubbish to this point. Hell, since February
100% with you !

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 07:47 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I voted for "it is what it is"

Since Feburary this team has been awful. The fact we got past Buffalo was a huge achievement.

I associate it with Pronger's absence. When he got hurt, the team struggled. I don't think the team would be in this boat with a healthy Pronger. We obtained Pronger to get us over the hump. Without him, there is really no reason to think we can get over the hump.

I am annoyed at the goaltending as well. I believed that a top defense would limit the poor quality of goaltending. Obviously, I was wrong.

On a positive note, at least with Washingon getting swept, it doesn't make the Flyers the biggest goats of the offseason.

Also on a positve note, due to our failure, I am hoping Holmgren lets all of the free agents leave so he can have enough money to get a real goalie. I wouldn't resign Carcillo, Zherdev, or Leino. As good as Leino is, it is way more important to sign a legitimate #1 goalie. I would rather go this route than trying to trade for one.

Walker, Shelly, and Leighton can sit all year in the minors to clear up space as well.
Even with these guys gone, Giroux's extension basically makes up for what these guys' salaries take away.

And even when you put guys in the minors, their contracts still count against the cap in the offseason. That 10% wiggle room that all teams get to be above the cap in the offseason has been shrunk to 3 million....

THANKS HOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And about the defense... even the best defenses make mistakes and a decent goaltender will make up for that. Problem is, we had a rookie and two career back-ups going into the season. The Flyers were the only team without a shutout all season going into February (you know, trade deadline time). I know a win is a win, but wouldn't you think that trading for a goalie where we have need is more important than trading for more offensive depth, which we really didn't need?

By far this season is Holmgren's fault. You can blame the players for the inconsistent effort, but the fact that Homer expected to start this season with a Leighton/Boucher goalie combo was just pathetic.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:04 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
this all falls on goaltending
vs buffalo and vs boston
the goaltending has been horrendous

I don't blame the players as much as I blame the goaltending

if there was better goaltending, the players would have played with a lot more confidence.
the players were basically the same as us here on these boards
sick of the goaltending and had no confidence in them at all. ( they just can't say it )
The players job is to go out and play their roles on the team, the defensive coverage has been horrible. Also the goalies are not reponsible for the plaeyrs lack of intensity, even with great goaltending the Flyers lose that game last night and game one.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:12 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
The players job is to go out and play their roles on the team, the defensive coverage has been horrible. Also the goalies are not reponsible for the plaeyrs lack of intensity, even with great goaltending the Flyers lose that game last night and game one.
Yeah, but you have to admit that ZERO confidence the players have with the guy between the pipes adds to the lack of intensity.

Seriously, you cannot believe what the players are saying when they "believe in Boosh or Bob."

Old
05-05-2011, 08:14 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

There simply no getting around the fact that believing a Cup was possible with these goalkeepers was utter folly and a huge boner.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:15 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Yeah, but you have to admit that ZERO confidence the players have with the guy between the pipes adds to the lack of intensity.
Absolutely

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:17 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:23 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Absolutely
I mean seriously, when you watch the opposing goalie stop, what, 63 goals in a row like that, then see what the clowns on your team let in, you have to stop and wonder if it's even worth moving on in the playoffs.

Still have Roloson after Thomas, and then after that maybe Luongo. On top of that 4 of the five remaining teams after Boston have outstanding offense. Watching the score go from 0 to 2, 0 to 3 or whatever and having to climb back into almost EVERY game being played takes a toll physically and mentally.

I refuse to spend another dime on this team until they at least attempt to fix the goalie with a legit solution.

Old
05-05-2011, 08:24 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

all of the above.

it's almost as if the players said "hey, we got to the finals last year and maybe could have won if we played a little better... that's enough right?"

the leaders aren't doing any leading, the emotion is nowhere to be found.

with this core of players, it seriously seems like the fans have more passion for the game than they do half the time.

something needs to be done.

this team just has a flat out inability to put forth the effort they need on a consistent basis, and i dont think just getting a goaltender is going to change that fact.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Swiper the Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
someone's gonna get canned
lavi is not the guy
homer should be fired for his horrible trades/moves this past season
time to keep the 'core' that are signed and get a goalie or knowing homer......

if I was ed snider
homer would be canned TODAY
send a message to the players
)

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2011, 08:32 AM
infidelappel*

As much as I want to be angry at Boucher for crapping the bed, or half of our defensemen for playing like sh--, or some of our forwards for forgetting how to bury the puck, or Versteeg for being a turd, ultimately I blame Holmgren.

His failure to acknowledge the importance of goaltending blew up and ruined what should have been a great year. I don't blame the goalies themselves - Boosh should never be in this position, nor should Leighton have, nor should Bob - because you can't expect them to be better than they are.

Poorly built team.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote